homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Can the CofE dig itself out of its hole over the OoW? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Can the CofE dig itself out of its hole over the OoW?
Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by hereweare:
When FiF first started, they were very opposed to a third province too!!!

Simply not true. The very first FiF National Assembly - 1n 1994 - passed a resolution which said, inter alia:

'The Forward in Faith National Assembly therefore calls upon the House of Bishops and the General Synod of the Church of England . . . to set in train investigation into the possibility of the creation of a third province within the Church of England, wherein all those, ordained, lay and religious who are unable in conscience to accept the ordination of women as priests, may continue to live their lives as Anglicans.'

Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:
quote:
When FiF first started, they were very opposed to a third province too!!!

Simply not true. The very first FiF National Assembly - 1n 1994 - passed a resolution which said, inter alia:

'The Forward in Faith National Assembly therefore calls upon the House of Bishops and the General Synod of the Church of England . . . to set in train investigation into the possibility of the creation of a third province within the Church of England, wherein all those, ordained, lay and religious who are unable in conscience to accept the ordination of women as priests, may continue to live their lives as Anglicans.'

My apologies, I was refering to a meeting in Evershott Street when the idea of a third province was not a popular one, but I think that was prior to the first assembly.

--------------------
Come home to Rome this Christmas!

Posts: 206 | From: here | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

The problem I do have though, that it would appear that your or an individual's opinion is some how equal to the teaching authority of the Church. The Pope can't have infallibility, but an individual can, hence the 'bollocks' remark? [Ultra confused] As I said, this is really a debate the nature and authority of the Church, which I am sure is covered in some other DH thread.

No. I don't hold that an individual's opinion is equal to the teaching authority of the Church. But having teaching authority is a long way from the ability to speak directly for God, infallibly. And while I am a long way from being one of the sola scriptura gang, as a good Anglican I believe that Scripture contains all thigns necessary for salvation, so to place something like the Assumption on a par with the divinity of Christ as an article of belief strikes me as verging on blasphemy. I do deny that the Pope has infallibility, but this does not mean that I think that anybody else is infallible.
Agreement at last! I too do not believe anyone other than the Pope has infallibility (except for when the Church does either in synod or spread aboard, but that's not a person as such).

But if you believe the Pope has infallibility, then I don't understand the problem with the Assumption, as that was proclaimed Infallibily?

Hang on. We both deny that people other than the Pope are infallible. But if you re-read my post you will see that I also do deny that the Pope is infallible.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

- Posted      Profile for hereweare   Email hereweare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hereweare:
[qb] See also CCC 2269 para 2

and

The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church quotes John Paul II from a Feb. 3, 2004, general catechesis. There, the Pope calls for a commitment “not to practice usury — a plague that is a disgraceful reality even in our days that can place a stronghold on the lives of many people.”
The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, promulgated at the beginning of Benedict’s pontificate, seems to broaden the sense of usury even more. One of the answers to the question (508) “What is forbidden by the seventh commandment?” is:

“Also forbidden is tax evasion or business fraud; willfully damaging private or public property; usury; corruption; the private abuse of common goods; work deliberately done poorly; and waste.”

No change in the teaching there then....

[Killing me]

That's exactly the sort of legalistic fudge that they will be able to come out with on ordination of women if they also change their minds on that. You are proving my point exactly. If they can redefine the Ten Commandments they can trivially work round the inconvenient utterances of a previous Pope.

[Ultra confused] Er Ken, I may be missing something here, but the above was posted after it was suggested that the Church had u-turned on usury. The way I read the above is that the Church is still opposed to usury, hence no u-turn. You are obviously seeing things a little differently.

I'm glad you are having a [Killing me] moment, but I think I should slowly walk towards the door keeping firm eye contact with you [Help] ! [Biased]

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

Hang on. We both deny that people other than the Pope are infallible. But if you re-read my post you will see that I also do deny that the Pope is infallible.

Good point, [Hot and Hormonal] , that does explain your issue with the Assumption then! At least we agree on something though, and that must be a good thing! [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Ken's point is that biblically, usury was lending money for interest - period.

AFAIK the RCs do not teach you shouldn't use a high street bank.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Good point, [Hot and Hormonal] , that does explain your issue with the Assumption then! At least we agree on something though, and that must be a good thing! [Smile]

I think I can recognise the sound of a line being drawn when I hear it! So yes, in the interests of charity, let's leave it there.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
I think Ken's point is that biblically, usury was lending money for interest - period.

Biblically he may well be right, but that wasn't the point of the post. The point was, the Church hasn't changed her opinion. Clearly you argue what usury actually is in practice, or that the RC Church isn't hard line enough (not often you can say that), but that's not the issue here.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Biblically he may well be right, but that wasn't the point of the post. The point was, the Church hasn't changed her opinion. Clearly you argue what usury actually is in practice, or that the RC Church isn't hard line enough (not often you can say that), but that's not the issue here.
That is to say that the RC church has not changed its views on "usury", but has changed the meaning of the word so it no longer means what it meant in the first millenium and a half of the church's life.

The strictures on "usuary" from that period were about lending money at interest. That the RC church has now decided that "usury" no longer refers to that, but to something totally different, to my mind means that it is using language to camoflage meaning.

To say that the language has not changed but that what we mean by it has changed --- and therefore we have not changed our mind seems to me to be disingenuous at best.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:

Although it's not a solution I'd have advocated a few years ago, I'm increasingly beginning to think that a non-geographical Third Province is the only honourable and honest solution.

I can't see that coming without disestablishment. And no-one in government is likely to want to waste Parliamentary time on that.

Ken, you're a brighter man than I am. However I can't see why disestablishment would be necessary in order to bring about creation of a Third Province. We managed to introduce "flying bishops" - an idea which has been as divisive and uncatholic as any - without going down that route. There would of course be practical difficulties with the establishment of a Third Province and we would be naive if we imagined otherwise thus. However it would have the advantage of meeting the demands of those who can't accept women as priests or bishops (whatever their churchmanship)whilst allowing the rest of us to get on with being Canterbury & York 'consensus' Anglicans.

[ 20. December 2010, 19:16: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(silly example we have male / female changing rooms etc.)
In this country at least race was once thought to be so fundimental an attribute that we had seperate accomidations for black and white.

Happily those days are over now.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
quote:
(silly example we have male / female changing rooms etc.)
In this country at least race was once thought to be so fundimental an attribute that we had seperate accomidations for black and white.

Happily those days are over now.

Thank God!

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I can't agree with your understanding of the history of celibacy though, the theology goes way back before then.

I agree the practice goes way before the Gregorian reforms but the underlying theology was about uncleanness (council of Cathage) or the basic sinfulness of sex or the dangers of Simony. Interestingly I have never read any protestant reflections on the origin of priestly celibacy only Catholic. I am aware that modern RC teaching says it is all about people being dedicated to God but that is very much a modern rewrite of the origin of Priestly Celibacy.

As has been pointed out the Catholic church have changed the meaning of Priestly Celibacy and the meaning of Usury.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I can't see why disestablishment would be necessary in order to bring about creation of a Third Province.

A number of reasons. Basically because a 3P would have to go through Parliament, and Parliament is bloody unlikely to approve of a change in the law that will be presented to it as stick-in-the-mud old sexists. And it will be. So to get it through the CofE would have to reclaim many of its rights from Parliament. (Which I think will happen sooner or later, but not right now)

For one thing, a 3P would involve founding a new diocese. The CofE gets to appoint as many suffragans as it likes but has to go cap in hand to the boss in Westminster for a diocesan bishop. Never mind an Archbishop - do we have any rules about making new ones of those?

For another the transfer of parishes from their old diocese to the new non-territorial one will almost certainly require legislation, and complex legislation at that. It will look like a waste of Parliamentary time.

For a third problem, the 3P would leave holes in existing dioceses. (Possibly very large ones in Southwark and Chichester) The anti-women side will argue that these wenclaves are simply transfered to a new diocese so the previous bishop now has no responsibility for them. Some others - and you can bet a lot of charismatic evangelicals, especially those with a tendency to church planting, will be among them - will say that these transfered parishes will be make gaps in the "cure of souls" and that neighbouring parishes should be enlarged to take care of them. That might end up getting argued in Parliament as well.

And whats more this involves property. The church buildings themselves. It involves land. English law loves talking about land onwnership. That's what most of it is about. And its fiendishly complicated when parish churches are involved. And trust me, if this gets into Parliament, not only will there be peopel arguning that its all about bigotry and hatred ow women, there will be people arguing that it is all a plot to transfer parish property, church buildings, land, from the Church of England to the Roman Catholics. And that would be a Parliamentary nightmare.

Honestly, I just don't think enough MPs are interested enough to get it thorugh on the timescales that would be needed.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But surely couldn't it operate on much the same basis as the alternative Episcopal Oversight has?

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't see it, Adrian1. Under the flying bishops arrangement, the diocesan remains the top bloke. It needed no new diocesans, only suffragans. I have to say I agree with ken here.

Of course, whether the third province is intended as a starting point for bargaining, or a ditch to die in, might be a separate - and equally interesting - discussion.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
quote:
I can't agree with your understanding of the history of celibacy though, the theology goes way back before then.

I agree the practice goes way before the Gregorian reforms but the underlying theology was about uncleanness (council of Cathage) or the basic sinfulness of sex or the dangers of Simony. Interestingly I have never read any protestant reflections on the origin of priestly celibacy only Catholic. I am aware that modern RC teaching says it is all about people being dedicated to God but that is very much a modern rewrite of the origin of Priestly Celibacy.

As has been pointed out the Catholic church have changed the meaning of Priestly Celibacy and the meaning of Usury.

understanding perhaps, not meaning.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what is to stop the 'understanding' of the gender of priesthood changing ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
So what is to stop the 'understanding' of the gender of priesthood changing ?

The understanding of what usury means may have developed, but NOT the oppostion to it. to clarify my earlier post, the meaning and understanding of priestly celibacy has NOT changed, but the application of it has.

As for the gender of priesthood, the understanding of why it is prohibited may be explored and expounded as JPII did, but NOT the prohibition itself.

[ 21. December 2010, 22:14: Message edited by: hereweare ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful…..
*snip*
Do not hesitate, then, to emphasize that the Magisterium of the Church has taken this decision not as an act of her own power, but in the knowledge of her duty to obey the will of the Lord of the Church herself.

New pope in 2045

quote:

Following the vision of (*&^*&^ of Our Lady, we understand that the Holy Spirit has been moved to confer priestly ordination on the person of (&^(* - this being attested by the miracles of x, y, z and following of the faithful. It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world and by his grace we shall recognise the new ministry of women he has commanded.

Followed by a long bit of explanation about why now.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The understanding of what usury means may have developed, but NOT the oppostion to it. to clarify my earlier post, the meaning and understanding of priestly celibacy has NOT changed, but the application of it has.

The theological reasoning has changed but not the application. The application of the theological reasoning is that Priests may not marry.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
quote:

The theological reasoning has changed but not the application. The application of the theological reasoning is that Priests may not marry.
I think we could be splitting hairs, but as in times past and present priests could be, and are married, so it must be the application, as the theology has not changed, butthe Canon flowing from that theology is dispensed from.

[ 22. December 2010, 09:54: Message edited by: hereweare ]

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
quote:
I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful…..
*snip*
Do not hesitate, then, to emphasize that the Magisterium of the Church has taken this decision not as an act of her own power, but in the knowledge of her duty to obey the will of the Lord of the Church herself.

New pope in 2045

quote:

Following the vision of (*&^*&^ of Our Lady, we understand that the Holy Spirit has been moved to confer priestly ordination on the person of (&^(* - this being attested by the miracles of x, y, z and following of the faithful. It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world and by his grace we shall recognise the new ministry of women he has commanded.

Followed by a long bit of explanation about why now.

"It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world "
Unless God is going to contradict himself, JPII made clear that God has indeed made manifest himself in the world by the example of Christ (cf Ordinatio sacerdotalis)!

Though the [Devil] in me says what would those Protestants do if Our Lady did say what you suggests? Would they all become anti OoW???? That aside I'm sure Our Lady would actually say 'Well I wasn't ordained, get over it!' [Biased]

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
I think we could be splitting hairs, but as in times past and present priests could be, and are married, so it must be the application, as the theology has not changed, butthe Canon flowing from that theology is dispensed from.

I am sorry but the application is the same as it has been more or less since the Gregorian reforms. It is without a doubt the theology that has changed as it has moved from the concept of priests being unclean and unable to carry out the Mass to the modern theology of Priests being able to dedicate themselves wholly to the life of the church.
This is a theological development not a change in application.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world "

That gives plenty of wiggle room for the future decision to ordain women - I can hear it now: "The late Pope John Paul II was surely right when he saud 'It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world'. The experience of many Christians, guided by the Holy Spirit, demonstrate that God has indeed made manifest His calling of women to the priesthood."

JPII still ends up being right (even though he was wrong), Church moves, as it has always done, to incorporate the new reality, and finds iteslef able to assert, with a clear conscience, that this is how things are.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
quote:

That gives plenty of wiggle room for the future decision to ordain women - I can hear it now: "The late Pope John Paul II was surely right when he saud 'It can not be the role of the Church to deny what the Lord God has made manifest himself in the world'. The experience of many Christians, guided by the Holy Spirit, demonstrate that God has indeed made manifest His calling of women to the priesthood."

JPII still ends up being right (even though he was wrong), Church moves, as it has always done, to incorporate the new reality, and finds iteslef able to assert, with a clear conscience, that this is how things are.

Er, no, that is just contradiction.

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
quote:

I am sorry but the application is the same as it has been more or less since the Gregorian reforms. It is without a doubt the theology that has changed as it has moved from the concept of priests being unclean and unable to carry out the Mass to the modern theology of Priests being able to dedicate themselves wholly to the life of the church.
This is a theological development not a change in application.

Still think it is hair splitting. Given that Rome now doe sordain some married men, then the application has changed. The theology may have been more fully developed and understood, agreed. But given its nearly Christmas and all that, I'm sure your position is right and makes sense.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No-one's ever claimed that the development of an individual's or an organisation's ideas is free from contradiction, hereweare. The Reformation occurs when two distinct ideas in Augustine's thought - his doctrine of the Church and his doctrine of Grace - no longer held together coherently. He didn't intend it, of course, but both paths can draw legitimate lines of decent from his ideas.

Likewise the authors of the Magna Carta would have shuddered at the way their ideas were appropriated. I suspect mediaeval popes would be horrified as to how their exertion of power over monarchs inspired, in small and uncertain ways, the eventual sidelining of the Church from politics, especially when they thought they were increasing the Church's power when doing it.

When the Catholic Church ordains women it will find the words to keep all of its previous utterances in creative tension. It may even come after a period of reassessing JPII's tenure - maybe they will conclude in future that perhaps he wasn't as right as people think he was. You never know. The Church is far more creative than you give it credit for.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
Still think it is hair splitting. Given that Rome now doe sordain some married men, then the application has changed.

but it has been accepting Ordained Priests for centuries (ex -orthodox priests) or Eastern Catholic Churches although at one time they were not meant to have sex prior to celebrating the Mass.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hereweare, I think your posts here are living proof that what we say is right!

The Vatican changed the official line on usury. They did it by carefully choosing a form of words that make it sound as if they didn't. From the outside, that's obvious. From the inside, where you accept the official redefinitions of things, you can't seem to see that its changed.

So not only is it possible that at some time in future they will change their doctrine on the ordination of women, its possible that when they do you won't even notice that they have...

Merry Christmas [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Roman Catholic Church will never have women priests, but in 20 years it might have men priests with ovaries and breasts.
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
hereweare, I think your posts here are living proof that what we say is right!

The Vatican changed the official line on usury. They did it by carefully choosing a form of words that make it sound as if they didn't. From the outside, that's obvious. From the inside, where you accept the official redefinitions of things, you can't seem to see that its changed.

So not only is it possible that at some time in future they will change their doctrine on the ordination of women, its possible that when they do you won't even notice that they have...

Merry Christmas [Smile]

Not sure that's really an arquement, 'if only you were in my shoes, you would see my view', well yes, it probably would, but it may not be right!

Simple question with a yes or no answer : Does the RC say Usury is wrong?

Happy Christmas! [Smile]

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
quote:
Still think it is hair splitting. Given that Rome now doe sordain some married men, then the application has changed.

but it has been accepting Ordained Priests for centuries (ex -orthodox priests) or Eastern Catholic Churches although at one time they were not meant to have sex prior to celebrating the Mass.
You may well be right, but why I said we were splitting hairs (probably should have used a better phrase) is it does not matter that the RC has changed its view, for as I have pointed out, the Church says celibacy is a human law and can be changed, and so this is a tangent of a tangent!! The OoW however is a divine law and can't be changed!

--------------------

hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
The Roman Catholic Church will never have women priests, but in 20 years it might have men priests with ovaries and breasts.

Don't hold your breath, there are Canons to cover that too!

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The OoW however is a divine law and can't be changed!

The declaration which you cite above is that "the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women". Not that it absolutely could not be done, but that God has not given the Church authority to do it. These are different things.

A future Pope might well say that such-and-such a revelation has now given the Church that authority. He doesn't have to say that his predecessors were wrong - indeed he can affirm that they were absolutely right and obedient, and that it would have been sinful presumption and sacrilege for them to presume to ordain women before whatever-it-was happened that conferred the authority for that step.

I've no idea if that will happen. It could do. And the Pope making the innovation might well be perfectly sincere. He could even be right! If you accept the principle of the magisterium, there would be no logical reason why a hypothetical future declaration like that should disturb your confidence in it.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
... I can't see why disestablishment would be necessary in order to bring about creation of a Third Province.

A number of reasons. Basically because a 3P would have to go through Parliament
I suspect that this could be avoided - we are not talking about the creation of a second Church of England by law established, but the establishment of a second church in England that is part of the Anglican Communion but not the CofE. All that is needed IMHO is the willingness of the Church of England structures to facilitate this process - being willing to rent their churches to the departing parishes for example; there's no NEED for a transfer of ownership. The CofE has a long history of renting redundant buildings to other denominations - this is merely an extension of this. The bishops of this new province would not need to be appointed by the PM. Note that the existence in the past of a church in London that was a part of the Episcopal Church of America is a precedent for the existence of a church that is part of the Anglican Communion but not the CofE (I think I remember hearing of such a church, though it doesn't appear on the present list of parishes - though they are in the diocese of Europe [Big Grin]

The departing parishes would leave holes - but those parish areas could be dealt with under existing redundancy procedures within the church.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
..I suspect that this could be avoided - we are not talking about the creation of a second Church of England by law established, but the establishment of a second church in England that is part of the Anglican Communion but not the CofE....

My understanding is that the purpose of a Third Province was to provide a place within the CoE for those opposed to OoW, rather than creating a new Church.

You're right, though, that there is nothing stopping a group right now from creating a new Church, appointing their own bishops, and renting buildings from the CoE, just as other denominations do. The would then have to negotiate with the ABC for an invitation to Lambeth and might, with goodwill and cooperation all around, be accepted as part of the Anglican Communion.

But that isn't the same as people having a welcome place in the Church to which they already belong and, in many cases, by whom they are already employed.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
But that isn't the same as people having a welcome place in the Church to which they already belong and, in many cases, by whom they are already employed.

Hmm - given that the basic unit of church structure is the diocese, if they are moving to a new province, they are moving to a new diocese. To my mind a third province in the Anglican Communion but outside the CofE is a good solution all round - or at least 'least worst' given the mess we are in. [Help]

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Hmm - given that the basic unit of church structure is the diocese...

In truth, in the post-Reformation Church of England, the basic unit of church structure has been the parish.

--------------------
Ken

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
quote:
Hmm - given that the basic unit of church structure is the diocese...

In truth, in the post-Reformation Church of England, the basic unit of church structure has been the parish.
Indeed. However given the ecclesiology of most of those campaigning for a third province, the logic and consequences are as I argued.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Hmm - given that the basic unit of church structure is the diocese, if they are moving to a new province, they are moving to a new diocese. To my mind a third province in the Anglican Communion but outside the CofE is a good solution all round - or at least 'least worst' given the mess we are in. [Help]
Given that the logical conclusion of women's ordination is a (potentially) female Archbishop of Canterbury, would they even wish to remain in the Anglican Communion? Saying "we will as long as you don't..." just doesn't work.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I think the Ordinariate is a better solution than a separate third province, at least for FiF.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
quote:
quote:

Given that the logical conclusion of women's ordination is a (potentially) female Archbishop of Canterbury, would they even wish to remain in the Anglican Communion? Saying "we will as long as you don't..." just doesn't work.

To be honest, the more I think about it the more I think the Ordinariate is a better solution than a separate third province, at least for FiF.

I not too sure how Anglican structure works, but is the ABC actually the 'head' in the same way is a the Pope? Does the ABYork come under ABC or equal to? Do those in the North come under both? Which is a long way of saying will a female ABC be any more of an issue then any female Bishop?

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In formal terms of jurisdiction, the Archbishop of Canterbury is the same as any archbishop in the Church of England, or the Anglican Communion. He is not any sort of Pope and there is not one. He has an honorary role in both the Church of England and Anglican Communion at large.

He does not interfere in the affairs of the Province of York, except when there is a vacancy in see there.

A female archbishop would be more serious than a female diocesan bishop and that would be more serious female suffragan bishop. But that is political as much as sacramental.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A female ABC would ordain most of the future bishops so that would make a huge difference to those who do not accept the sacramental ministry of women.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hereweare
Shipmate
# 15567

Thanks for the info! So the 'authority' as such doesn't flow from the ABC or ABY, just the politics? IIRC the CofE has three bishops needed for ordination of a Bishop? So I see who if one was a female ABC then a issue, or would two do????

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently, two male bishops and one female bishop would be invalid in their eyes - the female would devalue the males.

Some call it 'the theology of taint', though that is a term that they dislike.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Terry Waite wrote this for the Radio 4 Sunday programme:

A cleric whose fondness for Rome
made him leave both his church and his home,
as he said his farewells his church rang the bells
but the Romans let out a loud groan.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:
In formal terms of jurisdiction, the Archbishop of Canterbury is the same as any archbishop in the Church of England, or the Anglican Communion. He is not any sort of Pope and there is not one. He has an honorary role in both the Church of England and Anglican Communion at large.

He does not interfere in the affairs of the Province of York, except when there is a vacancy in see there.

A female archbishop would be more serious than a female diocesan bishop and that would be more serious female suffragan bishop. But that is political as much as sacramental.

I was thinking not so much of the ABofC's role in the CofE, but of his/her role in the Anglican communion. Assuming Wiki has it right, it states:
quote:
As spiritual leader of the Anglican Communion, the archbishop, although without legal authority outside England, is recognised by convention as primus inter pares (first among equals) of all Anglican primates worldwide.
Accepting the "spiritual authority" of someone whilst holding their orders to be invalid would, I'm assuming, be an all-but-impossible act of doublethink.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
Accepting the "spiritual authority" of someone whilst holding their orders to be invalid would, I'm assuming, be an all-but-impossible act of doublethink.

- Chris.

Indeed, but that problem arises inside the CofE, for the most part. Most of the rest of the Anglican Communion has long accepted the validity of female bishops, though by no means all have actually elected any. It is the breakways -- ACNA and AMiA and so on -- who reject women bishops, not those who are currently in communion with Canterbury.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

So is the last of Anglican communion to have held out in opposition to them ? There really are no others ?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016