homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Evangelicals / Catholics Theological Method and Gender / Sexuality (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Evangelicals / Catholics Theological Method and Gender / Sexuality
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:

As already hinted by others on this thread, it does look like a case of divorce being a situation we could find ourselves in so relaxing the law is OK, but gayness is something we would never do so full rigour should be retained.

That puts pretty succinctly what bothers me about this issue.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
But that decision wasn't mine to make...

And this is different from a gay person's situation how?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not particularly, but that doesn't change the rights and wrongs of divorce in this discussion. I'm not saying that divorce isn't wrong, so you're pushing at an open door here.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually it is very different. A divorce, being a sin, can be repented of and forgiven.

Same-sex sexual relationships are ongoing, with no admission of sin, no repentence, and thus no forgiveness. This is more like a person engaged in serial marriage/divorce, as opposed to a one-time thing.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Actually it is very different. A divorce, being a sin, can be repented of and forgiven.

Not if you remarry, according to Jesus in at least one passage (I think it's two, actually, but am not sure).

At that point, you're committing ongoing adultery every day, without repentance.

[ 27. January 2011, 17:13: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(That's called "One law for me, another for thee"....)
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Same-sex sexual relationships are ongoing, with no admission of sin, no repentence, and thus no forgiveness. This is more like a person engaged in serial marriage/divorce, as opposed to a one-time thing.

[Confused] Umm, no it's just like someone engaged in a marriage, and we don't expect them to seek or need forgiveness. Why is the anti brigade always trying to make the most unflattering comparisons possible, and taking such pains to avoid likening these relationships to the ones they are in fact most alike with? Unless you attribute a far greater metaphysical weight to genitalia than is remotely justifiable on the basis of a Christian anthropology there is no reason to say that an "ongoing, unrepentant" relationship's morality depends on chromosomes.

Serial same-sex relationships are to serial heterosexual marriages as monogamous, life-long same-sex relationships are like similar heterosexual unions. Comparing the former in the second couplet to the latter in the first rather than presenting the correct analogy only engeders the suspicion that the "trad" view relies on faulty logic.

[ 27. January 2011, 17:25: Message edited by: LQ ]

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

quote:
I'm not saying that divorce isn't wrong, so you're pushing at an open door here.

You kind of are, though - if it's wrong, it's wrong in a very abstract kind of way without any actual ramifications for your life. I assume that you are a communicant, for instance, and that upon your death your church will consent to bury you. These are things that gay Christians in many denoms cannot count on, which rather weakens the protest that gays are not being singled out any more than other supposed sins. Your acceptance of sinfulness on a purely intellectual level notwithstanding, your second marriage can't be that wrong if you have no plans to "repent" of it.

[ 27. January 2011, 17:30: Message edited by: LQ ]

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

(Or, if it is wrong, it is clearly a wrong that you have concluded, using your conscientious discretion, is the least wrong option feasibly available to you in our fallen world and the particulars of your situation - a privilege you would not extend to your gay brethren. One rule for you, indeed).
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish Sharkshooter et al would explain what exactly we're supposed to be repenting of -- those of us in mutually committed, loving, respectful, caring relationships.

How is my relationship hurting anyone or offending God? What bulleted points can you folks come up with in this regard?

Our pastor has told us more than once that we're one of the most relationally healthy couples in our church.

So, anyway...bulleted points; yes. Ways in which we are not honoring God or loving our neighbors.

This should be interesting.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
No, I'm using the Biblical passage to explain my sense of obligation to Biblical standards of sexual morality; it has nothing to do with civil law. Because I believe God defined marriage (as opposed to civil unions) as 'one man, one woman, for life' means that I cannot support the political effort to redefine marriage. Our society is going to do what it's going to do and probably within a decade same-sex marriage will be a fait accompli; I have no power over that except for my one vote and my voice, in whatever small way, as a person who says, "uh, maybe this isn't such a good idea."

Ah. Fascinating.

You see, in a great many countries, where they don't mix up civil marriages and religious marriages in the one ceremony, you would probably be a lot more willing to do what you like with the religious ceremony and leave the civil ceremony the hell alone.

Even with your one vote.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have another question of the anti-gay respondents here.

We all know your arguments for opposing same-sex marriage.

What is your moral opposition to gay partners having the right to share partner benefits?

In my state legislators have tried to punish state-funded organizations like state universities who have offered health insurance and other benefits to same-sex partners.

What is your theological justification for thinking that this is a good and righteous act on the part of these legislators? We're not talking the M word or even the CU word -- we're talking about employees being able to share their benefits, pensions and other work benefits with their partners? Why is Jesus smiling at this, in your view? Remember -- I want theological justification.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
After all, when I was a child it would have been nonsensical to pass laws that defined marriage as one man, one woman; it had never occurred to the vast majority of Americans that it might ever need to be discussed, much less legislated.

Not least because a combination of criminalisation and persecution of homosexuals for what they were kept them in their proper place. Oh, the good old days!
[Roll Eyes]
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
I didn't ignore your point, Lynn - I was talking about mostly-unacknowledged irony that the religious right uses the Biblical prohibition against divorce to work to make same-sex marriage illegal - but hasn't tried to do anything similar about divorce itself. The second clause is the point of the thing, not the first.

It seems that you don't see, or believe, that your vote against SSM imposes your personal religious views upon me and other gay people. I'm not sure why that is; after all, nobody will force you to marry a woman - but I might want to! IOW, a vote against has no consequences for you.

But isn't that the nature of living in a democracy? The votes of the majority carry and have an impact on the minority. Believe me, there are a lot of times (hmmm - possibly most of the time) where the vote doesn't go the way I'd have liked; I'm not sure why that should be any different with this issue than, say, who is president or senator or governor, etc.?

As for fighting to change the attitude toward divorce, I do that within my church but I don't think we're likely to undo the "no fault" divorce laws which have been so very destructive.
quote:
I really don't think it's terrible to argue against "redefining marriage" from a cultural/political/societal point of view, BTW. It's true that we should think and talk about it openly. I just don't accept your particular argument (that we're "re-defining something that God has defined") as valid. It's a sectarian religious point of view with which I don't agree.
That's entirely reasonable; I don't expect many people will agree with my POV.

quote:
quote:
So, to give this a rather hellish turn, it is rather convenient to you as a conservative divorcee that the conservatives accept that they've lost the legal battle on divorce.

Not really, as I would rather have not got divorced at all! But that decision wasn't mine to make...
quote:
As already hinted by others on this thread, it does look like a case of divorce being a situation we could find ourselves in so relaxing the law is OK, but gayness is something we would never do so full rigour should be retained.
Again, I can only speak for myself, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I echo Matt on this one. It may appear to be self-serving (and, in some cases, it may actually BE self-serving) but appearances are often deceiving. It takes two people in agreement to marry and, in much of the "civilized" world, it only takes one to divorce.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
No, I'm using the Biblical passage to explain my sense of obligation to Biblical standards of sexual morality; it has nothing to do with civil law. Because I believe God defined marriage (as opposed to civil unions) as 'one man, one woman, for life' means that I cannot support the political effort to redefine marriage. Our society is going to do what it's going to do and probably within a decade same-sex marriage will be a fait accompli; I have no power over that except for my one vote and my voice, in whatever small way, as a person who says, "uh, maybe this isn't such a good idea."

Ah. Fascinating.

You see, in a great many countries, where they don't mix up civil marriages and religious marriages in the one ceremony, you would probably be a lot more willing to do what you like with the religious ceremony and leave the civil ceremony the hell alone.

Even with your one vote.

Oh, totally. I've argued for that (not on this thread but IRL): make all religious marriages just that and if a couple wants whatever civil benefits might accrue from marriage (depending on the tax code, marriage may actually be more expensive; this changes from time to time) then get the civil marriage license and do that, too. I don't think it's optimal but I think it may be the most workable solution, at least as long as it would protect priests or ministers who cannot in good conscience officiate for a same-sex marriage.

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:

How about the anti-same-sex-marriage respondents?
quote:

What is your moral opposition to gay partners having the right to share partner benefits?

In my state legislators have tried to punish state-funded organizations like state universities who have offered health insurance and other benefits to same-sex partners.

What is your theological justification for thinking that this is a good and righteous act on the part of these legislators? We're not talking the M word or even the CU word -- we're talking about employees being able to share their benefits, pensions and other work benefits with their partners? Why is Jesus smiling at this, in your view? Remember -- I want theological justification.

Does anybody on this thread oppose offering those benefits to partners in civil unions? I don't have a theological basis for denying said benefits; I don't argue against said benefits. I argue against redefining marriage.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
at least as long as it would protect priests or ministers who cannot in good conscience officiate for a same-sex marriage.

As far as I can see, the idea that any religious office-holder could be required to officiate at a same-sex marriage, even in a system where one ceremony is used for both civil and religious puproses, is a total myth.

I suppose it's possible that such a legal situation could arise in countries with an official State religion. But even in those cases I've yet to see ANY evidence that there is a legitimate concern here.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

PS There's a marvellous test country: Argentina is officially Roman Catholic. If there's a ruling that Catholic priests have to marry same-sex couples, now that Argentina has joined the list of countries with same-sex marriage, then I'll concede your concern has some basis in reality.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
I'm not saying that divorce isn't wrong, so you're pushing at an open door here.

You kind of are, though - if it's wrong, it's wrong in a very abstract kind of way without any actual ramifications for your life. I assume that you are a communicant, for instance, and that upon your death your church will consent to bury you.
[Tangent}I'm not teribly concerned what happens to my body after I'm gone as I won't be there[/tangent].
quote:
These are things that gay Christians in many denoms cannot count on, which rather weakens the protest that gays are not being singled out any more than other supposed sins. Your acceptance of sinfulness on a purely intellectual level notwithstanding, your second marriage can't be that wrong if you have no plans to "repent" of it.(Or, if it is wrong, it is clearly a wrong that you have concluded, using your conscientious discretion, is the least wrong option feasibly available to you in our fallen world and the particulars of your situation - a privilege you would not extend to your gay brethren. One rule for you, indeed).

Not really - sorry if it strikes you that way. Let me revisit the circumstances of my divorce: my first wife committed adultery. That adultery was (and, AFAIK, is) ongoing and unrepented-of - she left me for another man and, as far as I know, continues to live with him and has had at least one child by him. I agonised long and hard about (a) whether divorce was 'right' in those circumstances and (b) whether I would then be sinning if I remarried. I received the counsel of a good many Christian friends and also consulted not just the Scriptures but also numerous commentaries on the subject. Matt 19:9 seemed to give me a 'get out clause' but I wasn't satisfied with that alone (an early doubting of sola Scriptura?); it was only when I came across a rather obscure commentary from the 2nd century AD which said, in effect, that if the adultery was ongoing and the injured party failed to either divorce the adulterer or at least acquiesce in the fact of that divorce, then s/he was sinning by effectively aiding and abetting that adultery. Only then did I feel able to (a) accept the divorce and (b) accept the possibility of remarriage.

[ 28. January 2011, 09:04: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I came across a rather obscure commentary from the 2nd century AD which said, in effect, that if the adultery was ongoing and the injured party failed to either divorce the adulterer or at least acquiesce in the fact of that divorce, then s/he was sinning by effectively aiding and abetting that adultery.

[tangent]Seriously? That sounds more like Roman law than Christian ethics to me. Does any significant strand of Christianity teach a positive obligation to divorce, rather than merely permitting it, for adultery?

Anyway, how long is 'ongoing'? Six months? A year? Adulterers can come to their senses and repent after affairs much longer than that. Of course, they often don't, and it may be folly for their victims to live in hope, but I wouldn't have thought that it could conceivably be considered a sin.[/tangent]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I had the name of Papias in mind but that can't be right because he was a disciple of John not Matthew

--------------------

Invictus_88
Shipmate
# 15352

- Posted      Profile for Invictus_88     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Those benefits are approved by the State, it's the business of the State. Civil partnerships, tax breaks, healthcare considerations (etc etc) for same-sex, trans, poly, zoo (etc etc) unions are granted or denied by the authority of the State.

The Church can counsel the faithful, but State-sanctioned sin will always be just that. Correspondingly, there is no Sacramental Reconciliation for a government, but only for individuals.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
I had the name of Papias in mind but that can't be right because he was a disciple of John not Matthew

I have now come across from the Shepherd of Hermas a similar passage which counsels divorce but which also then prohibits remarriage:

quote:
And I said to him, "Sir, if any one has a wife who trusts in the Lord, and if he detect her in adultery, does the man sin if he continue to live with her?" And he said to me, "As long as he remains ignorant of her sin, the husband commits no transgression in living with her. But if the husband know that his wife has gone astray, and if the woman does not repent, but persists in her fornication, and yet the husband continues to live with her, he also is guilty of her crime, and a sharer in her adultery." And I said to him, "What then, sir, is the husband to do, if his wife continue in her vicious practices?" And he said, "The husband should put her away, and remain by himself. But if he put his wife away and marry another, he also commits adultery." And I said to him, "What if the woman put away should repent, and wish to return to her husband: shall she not be taken back by her husband?" And he said to me, "Assuredly. If the husband do not take her back, he sins, and brings a great sin upon himself; for he ought to take back the sinner who has repented. But not frequently. For there is but one repentance to the servants of God. In case, therefore, that the divorced wife may repent, the husband ought not to marry another, when his wife has been put away.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

What the hell does that even mean?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Not sure; it is the Shepherd after all, which is even more magic-mushroomy than Revelation. I think it means the following:

1. If you discover your wife is having an affair, you have a duty to divorce her, otherwise you are complicit in her adultery.

2. However, you are not free to remarry and must have her back if she repents.

I think...

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I'm also waiting for that bulleted list...although for some reason I am not surprised that it is not here.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

[Confused]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But isn't that the nature of living in a democracy? The votes of the majority carry and have an impact on the minority. Believe me, there are a lot of times (hmmm - possibly most of the time) where the vote doesn't go the way I'd have liked; I'm not sure why that should be any different with this issue than, say, who is president or senator or governor, etc.?

As for fighting to change the attitude toward divorce, I do that within my church but I don't think we're likely to undo the "no fault" divorce laws which have been so very destructive.

Well, the "liberal" part of "liberal democracy" means that there are certain liberties which are not up for a vote. For example, despite the fact that Segregation was voted into place in the U.S. jurisdictions where it held sway, it was still contrary to the American Constitution. In fact, if the U.S. were to adopt your position that there are no limits at all on the ability of the majority to enact its will most of the Constitution (the bits limiting the power of government or providing checks from other branches or listing the rights of citizens) could be dispensed with.

One of the key principles of a liberal democracy is that the law should apply equally to all citizens, and if the state wishes to discriminate it should have darned good practical reason for doing so. ("God said so" is not a good practical reason in a religiously pluralistic secular state.) So if the state wishes to discriminate as to who can participate in legal arrangement like marriage based on the gender of the parties involved, it should have to explain why on better grounds than 'tradition'.

quote:
I echo Matt on this one. It may appear to be self-serving (and, in some cases, it may actually BE self-serving) but appearances are often deceiving. It takes two people in agreement to marry and, in much of the "civilized" world, it only takes one to divorce.

A more straightforward way of looking at this is to say that it takes to people in agreement to marry and that losing the agreement of one of the parties allows the marriage to be disolved. I'm not sure what's to be gained by forcing people to stay in marriages (possibly abusive marriages) against their will.

quote:
Oh, totally. I've argued for that (not on this thread but IRL): make all religious marriages just that and if a couple wants whatever civil benefits might accrue from marriage (depending on the tax code, marriage may actually be more expensive; this changes from time to time) then get the civil marriage license and do that, too. I don't think it's optimal but I think it may be the most workable solution, at least as long as it would protect priests or ministers who cannot in good conscience officiate for a same-sex marriage.

Hmmm, you've radically suggested . . . the exact system already in place in the U.S. A religiously ordained marriage is not considered legally binding unless also registered with the state government. For example, despite what a Catholic priest might say a remarried divorcée is legally married in the eyes of the state.

People who argue about the need to "protect priests or ministers who cannot in good conscience officiate for a same-sex marriage" are usually arguing in bad faith or trying to spin fantastical scenarios to muddy the issue. All they have to ask is "how many Roman Catholic priests have been punished by the state in the last decade for refusing to marry someone with a divorced spouse still living?" The correct answer (zero) is well known enough that horror stories of the state punishing non-conforming clergy (at least in the U.S.) are so implausible that they can't be taken as seriously offered.

quote:
Does anybody on this thread oppose offering those benefits to partners in civil unions?

There are certainly a lot of Americans who argued in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act, many of whom did on an allegedly theological basis, especially the intellectually dishonest "they'll arrest Pastor Joe" argument.

quote:
I don't have a theological basis for denying said benefits; I don't argue against said benefits. I argue against redefining marriage.

The problem is that the practical steps usually taken "against redefining marriage" just coincidentally happen to also involve "denying said benefits" (e.g. DOMA). This happens so consistently that dismissing it as coincidence is almost as unbelievable as various clergy not understanding the law relating to their profession enough to believe the "they'll arrest Pastor Joe" lie.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it means the following:

1. If you discover your wife is having an affair, you have a duty to divorce her, otherwise you are complicit in her adultery.

2. However, you are not free to remarry and must have her back if she repents.

I think...

Deuteronomy 24 forbids a husband to take his wife back if she has been married and divorced in the interim; it "pollutes the land." This is also referenced in Jeremiah 3. No bearing on what your quoted passage actually means other than to note the dissonance with Mosaic law.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Well, the "liberal" part of "liberal democracy" means that there are certain liberties which are not up for a vote. For example, despite the fact that Segregation was voted into place in the U.S. jurisdictions where it held sway, it was still contrary to the American Constitution. In fact, if the U.S. were to adopt your position that there are no limits at all on the ability of the majority to enact its will most of the Constitution (the bits limiting the power of government or providing checks from other branches or listing the rights of citizens) could be dispensed with.

No question, our representative democracy is highly flawed - consider the foolishness of elected officials committing the state of California to pay pensions at a fiscally unsustainable rates [Frown] But I think it's a bit disingenuous if you argue that the state has to rely on something other than "tradition" when holding to marriage as defined through human history; it is very much the pro-same-sex-marriage side that is pushing to change the fundamental definition of an institution. I realize it works well for those who wish to push the change to be aggressive and try to make the status quo defend the status quo instead of presenting a compelling argument for the change.

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, you've radically suggested . . . the exact system already in place in the U.S. A religiously ordained marriage is not considered legally binding unless also registered with the state government. For example, despite what a Catholic priest might say a remarried divorcée is legally married in the eyes of the state.

People who argue about the need to "protect priests or ministers who cannot in good conscience officiate for a same-sex marriage" are usually arguing in bad faith or trying to spin fantastical scenarios to muddy the issue. All they have to ask is "how many Roman Catholic priests have been punished by the state in the last decade for refusing to marry someone with a divorced spouse still living?" The correct answer (zero) is well known enough that horror stories of the state punishing non-conforming clergy (at least in the U.S.) are so implausible that they can't be taken as seriously offered.

quote:
Does anybody on this thread oppose offering those benefits to partners in civil unions?

There are certainly a lot of Americans who argued in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act, many of whom did on an allegedly theological basis, especially the intellectually dishonest "they'll arrest Pastor Joe" argument.

quote:
I don't have a theological basis for denying said benefits; I don't argue against said benefits. I argue against redefining marriage.

The problem is that the practical steps usually taken "against redefining marriage" just coincidentally happen to also involve "denying said benefits" (e.g. DOMA). This happens so consistently that dismissing it as coincidence is almost as unbelievable as various clergy not understanding the law relating to their profession enough to believe the "they'll arrest Pastor Joe" lie.

I don't know "Pastor Joe" and I doubt if he'll get arrested - but he may well be sued, at least according to this. Do you know if this situation has been reversed? Clearly in Canada gender issues trump religious freedom issues.

Wow-- this is an interesting dilemma!

But I don't think there's any basis for thinking that changing the definition of marriage won't have long term significant impact:
quote:

But, as a sociologist I can propose a hypothesis, and as a concerned citizen a recommendation. Hypothesis: There will be cultural and political compromises in the area of sexual behavior. Recommendation: In a democracy these matters should be openly and extensively discussed.

So the good news is that we're discussing it.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as pastors being sued, there is a simple solution, long in place in France: clergy have no authority to perform legally binding marriages. The legal aspect of marriage is a state function, performed by a magistrate. If the couple wishes to consecrate the marriage in a religious sense, that can be done later, by a priest, minister, rabbi, or imam.

The idea that there is a single traditional definition of marriage is so ludicrous (to anyone who has studied cultural anthropology, at least) that it's hard to respond to it succinctly. So I won't bother.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello LC. I agree with you, but think that the bullet point list probably runs as follows:

• ye bible sayeth
    erm
    so there

I think that a problem, however, is that there is a risk of throwing out the biblical baby out with the undesirable bits bathwater. We might say that the biblical understanding isn't right and that experience should outweigh scripture, but I it's probably the conservatives' best argument, as advanced by Lynn.

I'm not v. comfortable with the don't ask don't tell, and don't be an out leader, position of many churches, or the comparison with divorce. I don't think it's very fair on people like you. While closetedness was normal in society, that was how things were anyway. Now it's not, it's rather exposed.

Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
The idea that there is a single traditional definition of marriage is so ludicrous (to anyone who has studied cultural anthropology, at least) that it's hard to respond to it succinctly. So I won't bother.

I have also studied cultural anthropology and I do not remember any culture in which marriage was other than male + female. Age of consent varies, how many marriages a man (and occasionally a woman) might have simultaneously varies, who is authorized to give consent to a marriage (father, church, state, bride or groom) - the consistent part has been male + female. Lots of cultures in which same-sex relationships are tolerated and even approved - but they weren't considered marriage.

IF I'm missing a culture which included same-sex couples within that culture's definition of marriage, please specify - because I don't remember any.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I have also studied cultural anthropology and I do not remember any culture in which marriage was other than male + female. Age of consent varies, how many marriages a man (and occasionally a woman) might have simultaneously varies, who is authorized to give consent to a marriage (father, church, state, bride or groom) - the consistent part has been male + female. Lots of cultures in which same-sex relationships are tolerated and even approved - but they weren't considered marriage.

IF I'm missing a culture which included same-sex couples within that culture's definition of marriage, please specify - because I don't remember any.

Is this an anthropology issue or a linguistics one?

Genuine question.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

So no one can explain to me the theological underpinnings of the political urgency on the part of religious conservatives to deny partnered employees of state-funded organizations, or partnered employees of any organization, pension, healthcare and other protections; or to deny partners the right to make their own decisions about things like hospital visitations.

Not talking marriage. Not talking state-sanctioned civil unions. Just talking having the legal option to share one's work benefits with one's partner and to otherwise protect one's partner legally.

How is forbidding these things making Jesus happy?

Oh...it's just making you happy.

Understood. [Projectile]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No question, our representative democracy is highly flawed - consider the foolishness of elected officials committing the state of California to pay pensions at a fiscally unsustainable rates [Frown]
I guess that's where we differ. I don't see limited government or respect for individual liberty as "flaws". I see those things as the primary advantages of the system.

quote:
But I think it's a bit disingenuous if you argue that the state has to rely on something other than "tradition" when holding to marriage as defined through human history; it is very much the pro-same-sex-marriage side that is pushing to change the fundamental definition of an institution. I realize it works well for those who wish to push the change to be aggressive and try to make the status quo defend the status quo instead of presenting a compelling argument for the change.

The problem here is that you're not defending "marriage as defined through human history", which was a hierarchical institution with the husband in a superior position, legally and socially, to that of his wife/wives. Marriage has been radically redefined over the past century (at least in the West) as an equal partnership, something that had never existed before and runs counter to Biblical ordinance. I'll believe Christians are serious about "traditional marriage" when they start agitating to reinstate coverture laws.

quote:
quote:

I don't know "Pastor Joe" and I doubt if he'll get arrested - but he may well be sued, at least according to this.
No, that link offers no actual information, just a bunch of fearmongering JAQing off.

quote:
Do you know if this situation has been reversed?

No idea. Perhaps one of our Canadian shipmates might have a clue. Of course, such hate speech laws would be unconstitutional in the U.S. (Hate crimes laws, on the other hand, are perfectly Constitutional.)

quote:
Clearly in Canada gender issues trump religious freedom issues.

Except that Canadian marriage commissioners are agents of the state, not private religious actors like a priest or rabbi. Their job is to provide a specific government service (civil marriage) to anyone who qualifies and requests it. Importing their own private religious beliefs into the operations of the state seems dangerously unworkable, like refusing to perform inter-racial or inter-faith marriages or the marriages of the previously divorced on religious grounds. You're allowed to do that if you're a religious celebrant, but not if you're representing the government.

quote:
But I don't think there's any basis for thinking that changing the definition of marriage won't have long term significant impact:
quote:

But, as a sociologist I can propose a hypothesis, and as a concerned citizen a recommendation. Hypothesis: There will be cultural and political compromises in the area of sexual behavior. Recommendation: In a democracy these matters should be openly and extensively discussed.

So the good news is that we're discussing it.
Retaining the legal discrimination against same-sex couples will also have a "long term significant impact", it's just that the impact is a familiar one and it's borne by people who aren't you. As I noted previously, the same argument could be (and was) made against repealing the coverture laws, and yet I don't think very many people today would regard that as anything other than a positive development, despite the fact that it was radical, new, and unBiblical.

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

So it's the "slippery slope" argument here at base, then. But let me point out a couple of problems in re: the blog post linked above:

• Polyamory is not analogous to same-sex marriage; gay people want to marry only one person. (And "polyamory" is not a legal arrangement in any case; it's merely an idea. I'm not sure what "legal problems" the writer is referring to, and he doesn't offer any - but it's not the same thing as polygamy, so it's a bit hard to understand how these problems can be as extensive as he claims they are.
  • There's no same-sex marriage in Germany anyway! So quite obviously it does not "cause" polyamory. (Nor does same-sex marriage -> polygamy; polygamy is an ancient - and Biblical - arrangement.)

And since we've already "re-defined marriage" - by eliminating polygamy, for instance - what's so hard about "re-defining" it again? We'll keep the prohibition against polygamy in place, if you like - but allow two adults to marry one another (because, after all, this would apply to people who would prefer to marry multiple partners, too: they can get married to one, at least, while gay people can't get married at all).

As, for instance, the legal state in which two unrelated adults are made related by law? At the moment, the legal definition is just about as unpoetic and unromantic: "an unrelated man and woman are made related by law," so I don't think there's a whole lot of change there.

And the fact that same-sex couples - about 2.5% of any given population - are added to the rolls of who's eligible for this legal status will not change the resonances of "marriage" much, either; mostly it'll still be an overwhelmingly heterosexual institution and will be treated that way. I mean, heterosexuals who have no intent of having sex with each can get married today - as can those who have no intention of being faithful to one another. I'm sure this happens, too - but marriage hasn't crumbled on account of it.

Have a little more faith in heterosexuality, folks!

[ 29. January 2011, 15:14: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Everyone always quotes early-modern Albania where there were some circumstances in which a woman could legally count as a man, or (probably much more rarely) the other way round but its more complex than that - it was really about property rights and (being Albania) family revenge rather than sex. It seems that the people who did it mostly lived as celibates, although there were circumstances in which they could be legally married.

But I think you are right. Basically marriage in some form or other has existed in every human society ad a legal status in which any child a woman has is assumed also to be the child of the man (or very, very, very, rarely men) she is married to. So the idea of two men marrying each other would have seemed to pretty much everybody in human history somewhere between meaningless and pointless.

I think there have been societies in which one of the reasons exclusively homosexual men were disapproved of was precisely that they didn't get married and so evaded their social duty to support women and children.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nope. There's a thread somewhere about this case. Bottom line is that obeying the law trumps breaking the law, and that public servants paid to administer the law either do their jobs or get out. No-one's freedom of religion is being infringed in this case.

You've got this dead wrong.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Still waiting to see a general connection between granting same-sex partners things like employee insurance benefits/hospital visitation and hospital privileges -- things that can and have been granted without getting into marriage/civil union issues -- is acting in opposition to God's will. So far not one person -- not ONE -- has been able or willing to directly address my question.

And yet the Religious Right in the United States has made punitive legislation against same-sex couples' attempts to obtain these simple protections part of their assault against the gay community.

So it must be important; right? There must be some connection between my being able to make medical decisions for my partner if she's incapacitated, or being able to share her health benefits, and the will of God in the world; right? Or else the Religious Right wouldn't be targeting these sorts of extra-marital legal rights/protections; right?

Still waiting patiently for the godly to explain this to me.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Still waiting to see a general connection between granting same-sex partners things like employee insurance benefits/hospital visitation and hospital privileges -- things that can and have been granted without getting into marriage/civil union issues -- is acting in opposition to God's will. So far not one person -- not ONE -- has been able or willing to directly address my question.

That's because we all agree that the shits that object to that are atavistic bigots. There's no real argument here on those issues.

Just to bring in a ray of sunshine, if we can belive this report here (via iGeek of ths parish) even the US Navy are coming on the side of the angels.

But that's got nothing to do with stuff like who churches will or won't ordain. OK, not quite nothing, but not as much as it might.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Everyone here agrees? That's not the feeling I'm getting.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
quote:
I know quite a few in our evo congo who would like to see adultery outlawed! And my Exclusive Brethren in-laws were most reluctant to let a divorced man (moi) marry their daughter; I had to persuade them I was OK by pointing out my first wife had left me for another man and thus I fell within the exception of Matt 19. Even now I doubt whether they would let me break bread with them ie: be admitted to communion. And I don't know any evos, particularly those at the fundie end of the spectrum, who would be happy with a divorced-and-remarried minister/pastor (and, as Ken says, that's really where the issue becomes critical). So, people here may not agree with the stance, but there is at least consistency there.

Maybe so - but are they using their opposition to adultery and/or divorce to enact laws against them?

Because that's what's happening here; people are enacting laws against allowing gay people to get married, here - and on the basis of their "religious beliefs," they claim.

I imagine the logic, cynically, might be "pick your battles." These days it'd be laughable (as you observe) to try to get a law passed against divorce. Gay marriage has probably seemed more winnable, especially since there isn't a tradition in this country (yet) of understanding the idea of gay marriage, where divorce has been around since Leviticus.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And yet the Religious Right in the United States has made punitive legislation against same-sex couples' attempts to obtain these simple protections part of their assault against the gay community.

So it must be important; right? There must be some connection between my being able to make medical decisions for my partner if she's incapacitated, or being able to share her health benefits, and the will of God in the world; right? Or else the Religious Right wouldn't be targeting these sorts of extra-marital legal rights/protections; right?

Still waiting patiently for the godly to explain this to me.

I wouldn't pretend to be godly, but my guess is it's a "slippery slope" argument that any legitimation given to the relationship will eventually lead, as precedent piles upon precedent, to recognition of marriage or something very like a marriage. It says that being gay is socially acceptable, which is the one thing I think that conservatives are afraid of.

As has been observed (perhaps conceded) there really isn't a good case outside of a particular biblical interpretation against gay marriage, as moderns understand marriage to be (thanks to Croesus for bringing that up.)

Somewhere in the back of the mind, I think conservatives realize this. The arguments are all tautological unless you assume the Bible as a certain kind of authority. If you assume the Bible as an inerrant guide of a certain type, then it's obvious that gays are immoral because Paul said it was "unnatural" or that Christians weren't supposed to be "man-screwers and male prostitutes," etc.*

And one can live in such an hermeneutic, and when there was respected secular thinkers (Freud) who agreed that homosexuality was pathological, then they could be somewhat more comfortable.** Nowadays, while there are certainly homophobic atheists,*** there aren't any well known or respected people who try to argue that homosexuality is wrong from a scientific or non-religious POV. As a result, Christians who believe in this particular expression of inerrant sola scriptura are increasingly trapped in one of several cultural backwaters. And for the older folks, this is fine, but the younger folks are not nearly as able to walk in the ways of their parents and are taught by all manner of media and social institutions that gay is ok. And they are then forced to choose between the ways of the old folks and the ways of the new folks. Being young, my money is on the new folks, as seems to be the case among younger evangelicals. Even the ones who might want to say that homosexuality is sinful are forced to admit that these teachings have been used in all manner of abominations.

I think, for older conservative Christians who have in a sense staked their soul on this Christian teaching, it must hurt like hell. The church that you grew up with, the social boundaries by which you recognized yourself as saved, and your families as saved, is dissolving before your eyes. Even for a comparatively humble person, it's something to see; and if you're even slightly proud, it's a huge pill to swallow. In a sense it's the fall of Dixie all over again, and I think that analogy still resonates with a lot of people.

To me, socially liberal Christian, the whole obsession is very illogical, but logically I think I can discern some of the social and psychological reasons that drive people to be so frightened. Back to my previous post (and sorry for dredging something up from so far back) divorce is a lost cause. Abortion is a losing battle in many areas. But you have to hang onto what you can.

I suppose I'm thinking more of conservative evangelicals than Catholics here, though since the 1980s I think the two have maintained an awkward alliance as the "Christian Right."

* Assuming for simplicity (as I do) that arguments straight from the Torah without NT contextualization aren't Christian.

** Hence the truly awkward position of "ex-gay ministries" that try to mix Freud with Paul to disastrous results.

*** For various definitions of "homophobic," and perhaps "atheist."

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Everyone always quotes early-modern Albania where there were some circumstances in which a woman could legally count as a man, or (probably much more rarely) the other way round but its more complex than that - it was really about property rights and (being Albania) family revenge rather than sex. It seems that the people who did it mostly lived as celibates, although there were circumstances in which they could be legally married.

But I think you are right. Basically marriage in some form or other has existed in every human society ad a legal status in which any child a woman has is assumed also to be the child of the man (or very, very, very, rarely men) she is married to. So the idea of two men marrying each other would have seemed to pretty much everybody in human history somewhere between meaningless and pointless.

I think there have been societies in which one of the reasons exclusively homosexual men were disapproved of was precisely that they didn't get married and so evaded their social duty to support women and children.

Some native American tribes did have marriages between people of the same biological sex, but one partner was a "berdache" ("two-spirit" is the preferred term now, but it doesn't work as well for googling), which was socially defined as a distinct gender--there couldn't be a marriage between two berdaches. However, it does take the reproductive element out of marriage.

The Nayar constitute another major challenge to Western concepts of marriage, and the anthropological attempt to define it as a cultural universal.

[ 30. January 2011, 22:55: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Nayar constitute another major challenge to Western concepts of marriage, and the anthropological attempt to define it as a cultural universal.

Nonexistent link. Please fix [Smile]

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've fixed it for Timothy in the original post now.
cheers,
L
Dead Horses Host

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Maudlin
No question, our representative democracy is highly flawed - consider the foolishness of elected officials committing the state of California to pay pensions at a fiscally unsustainable rates [Frown]

I guess that's where we differ. I don't see limited government or respect for individual liberty as "flaws". I see those things as the primary advantages of the system.
So the individual liberty of "public servants paid to administer the law" whose religious sensibilities are *now* offended because the law has changed, those individual liberties don't matter?
quote:
The problem here is that you're not defending "marriage as defined through human history", which was a hierarchical institution with the husband in a superior position, legally and socially, to that of his wife/wives. Marriage has been radically redefined over the past century (at least in the West) as an equal partnership, something that had never existed before and runs counter to Biblical ordinance. I'll believe Christians are serious about "traditional marriage" when they start agitating to reinstate coverture laws.
My argument has been not for a particular human tradition of marriage but for the core that Jesus presents and attributes to the Father; that didn't include coverture laws any more than it included racial restrictions.
quote:
No, that link offers no actual information, just a bunch of fearmongering JAQing off.
Wow, a term I've never heard before-- cool, thanks! I hope that's the extent of it. I hear enough angry, bitter expressions to suspect that won't prove to be the case - but I will live in hope in the interim.
quote:
Except that Canadian marriage commissioners are agents of the state, not private religious actors like a priest or rabbi. Their job is to provide a specific government service (civil marriage) to anyone who qualifies and requests it. Importing their own private religious beliefs into the operations of the state seems dangerously unworkable, like refusing to perform inter-racial or inter-faith marriages or the marriages of the previously divorced on religious grounds. You're allowed to do that if you're a religious celebrant, but not if you're representing the government.
And, no matter that the rules have changed underneath you...?
quote:
Retaining the legal discrimination against same-sex couples will also have a "long term significant impact", it's just that the impact is a familiar one and it's borne by people who aren't you.
I dispute the charge of legal discrimination insofar as marriage is concerned: marriage entails both sexes and actually doesn't have a bearing on sexual attraction; many homosexuals have married over the years and those were completely legal marriages.

quote:
So no one can explain to me the theological underpinnings of the political urgency on the part of religious conservatives to deny partnered employees of state-funded organizations, or partnered employees of any organization, pension, healthcare and other protections; or to deny partners the right to make their own decisions about things like hospital visitations.

Not talking marriage. Not talking state-sanctioned civil unions. Just talking having the legal option to share one's work benefits with one's partner and to otherwise protect one's partner legally.

LutheranChik, has anybody on the thread argued that? I haven't. My argument is specifically with the redefinition of "marriage," not civil unions and not benefits.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:

Nope. There's a thread somewhere about this case. Bottom line is that obeying the law trumps breaking the law, and that public servants paid to administer the law either do their jobs or get out. No-one's freedom of religion is being infringed in this case.

You've got this dead wrong.

So, when the ground rules change underneath you and the job you've held for decades is impacted by that, it's just tough? Suck it up or compromise yourself? You can make that argument; I'm just checking.

quote:
Bullfrog. said:
I think, for older conservative Christians who have in a sense staked their soul on this Christian teaching, it must hurt like hell. The church that you grew up with, the social boundaries by which you recognized yourself as saved, and your families as saved, is dissolving before your eyes. Even for a comparatively humble person, it's something to see; and if you're even slightly proud, it's a huge pill to swallow. In a sense it's the fall of Dixie all over again, and I think that analogy still resonates with a lot of people.

I suppose there are "older conservative Christians" that fit your description and dilemma, described above, and maybe it's just living and worshiping in generic 'Hollywood,' but I can't think of anyone I personally know that fits this. For me, it genuinely is concern about going in and mucking about where God has said XYZ. I recognize that not everyone thinks God said XYZ and that's fine, that's between them and God, just as my position is between me and God; there's a 'watchman on the wall' quality to it. One can argue this is all part of the appropriate separation of church and state and if the state decides to redefine marriage, so be it. I will hope that my concerns prove baseless.

Timothy the Obscure, yes please, I'd like to read your link.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Public servants have to administer the law regardless of what the law is. It's basic separation of powers. Anybody who takes public office without knowing this is a fool.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

So when the law changes in a way that has a bearing on their faith or some other personal element, that's their problem and there is no recourse but to resign? Okay.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting

Hi Lynnmagdalencollege,
You may have missed it but the Canadian registrar case is being discussed on the Gay Marriage and blurred boundaries thread where it belongs. Please don't derail this thread by importing that still open discussion here.

(And others - please shift your replies to Lynn on this back to the correct thread)

Also please note that this thread has veered very far off course: the OP question is

quote:
I was wondering why in (Anglo but not exclusively) Catholic circles those who support the OOW also tend to be affirming on sexuality, whereas in Evangelical circles (Anglo but not exclusively) those who support the OOW tend not to be.
General discussion of gay marriage would be better on the other thread.

Thanks!
Louise
Dead Horses Host

hosting off

[ 31. January 2011, 01:01: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
So the individual liberty of "public servants paid to administer the law" whose religious sensibilities are *now* offended because the law has changed, those individual liberties don't matter?

I'm sure they matter to the individual in question, but part of the rule of law is that individual officials don't get to make up laws to suit themselves or ignore laws they don't like. So no, you can't claim that you still get to teach a segregated class because the law mandated your school as "Whites Only" when you were hired, or that the bar association's new policy of permitting women to practice law violates the terms of your own admission to the bar when it was an explicitly male-only organization. In addition to making it impossible for the government to set its own employment policies, such a standard would make it incredibly cumbersome for the government to conduct business at all. Imagine bureaucratic headache of, for example, the Little Rock school district having to keep track of which teachers were hired before 1957 and, of that group, which objected to teaching mixed-race classes. Someone freshly hired in 1956 and staying on the job for forty-five years would be able to maintain Segregation through the new millennium. That seems like an awful lot of power to give individual bureaucrats to thwart the stated policy of the state.

quote:
My argument has been not for a particular human tradition of marriage but for the core that Jesus presents and attributes to the Father; that didn't include coverture laws any more than it included racial restrictions.

I thought your argument was based on the idea of marriage as a universal human institution, not a specifically Christian one. Statements like "No society on earth has ever pretended that a homosexual relationship and a heterosexual relationship are the same thing" and "I do not remember any culture in which marriage was other than male + female" are arguments about universals rather than specifically Christian teachings. My point is that it could just as easily be argued that prior to about a century ago "no society on earth" regarded marriage as a partnership of legal equals. If those statements are pertinent to the question of same-sex marriage, aren't they also applicable to non-hierarchical marriage?

quote:
quote:
Retaining the legal discrimination against same-sex couples will also have a "long term significant impact", it's just that the impact is a familiar one and it's borne by people who aren't you.
I dispute the charge of legal discrimination insofar as marriage is concerned: marriage entails both sexes and actually doesn't have a bearing on sexual attraction; many homosexuals have married over the years and those were completely legal marriages.
That argument was also tried (unsuccessfully) in Loving v. Virginia, the last time the U.S. significantly changed the definition of marriage. This was dealt with in footnote 11:

quote:
Appellants point out that the State's concern in these statutes, as expressed in the words of the 1924 Act's title, "An Act to Preserve Racial Integrity," extends only to the integrity of the white race. While Virginia prohibits whites from marrying any nonwhite (subject to the exception for the descendants of Pocahontas), Negroes, Orientals, and any other racial class may intermarry without statutory interference. Appellants contend that this distinction renders Virginia's miscegenation statutes arbitrary and unreasonable even assuming the constitutional validity of an official purpose to preserve "racial integrity." We need not reach this contention because we find the racial classifications in these statutes repugnant to the Fourteenth Amendment, even assuming an even-handed state purpose to protect the "integrity" of all races.
In other words, simply saying that a ban on inter-racial marriage is evenly applied to both whites and blacks is irrelevant under the U.S. Constitution. Such discrimination is odious on its surface. I'm willing to argue that discrimination on the basis of gender is equally repugnant to U.S. law. Are you going to argue the contrary case?

quote:
quote:

LutheranChik, has anybody on the thread argued that? I haven't. My argument is specifically with the redefinition of "marriage," not civil unions and not benefits.
Which is essentially arguing "I'm not in favor of discrimination, I just don't think the law should treat them the same." [Roll Eyes]

As I noted previously, marriage is an arrangement under civil law in the U.S. Religious organizations can operate under whatever marital definitions or restrictions they like (e.g. the Roman Catholics can refuse to recognize re-married divorcées, the Christian Identity folks can refuse to recognize the marriages of non-whites, etc.), but that opinion has no bearing on whether or not a marriage is legal, which is what same-sex marriage proponents are advocating and what opponents are arguing against. Once again, the idea of churches being forced to perform same-sex marriage ceremonies would be less likely than being able to force a Roman Catholic priest to marry someone previously divorced. I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the same-sex marriage threat is so real when the divorce one has never materialized.

quote:
I suppose there are "older conservative Christians" that fit your description and dilemma, described above, and maybe it's just living and worshiping in generic 'Hollywood,' but I can't think of anyone I personally know that fits this. For me, it genuinely is concern about going in and mucking about where God has said XYZ. I recognize that not everyone thinks God said XYZ and that's fine, that's between them and God, just as my position is between me and God; there's a 'watchman on the wall' quality to it. One can argue this is all part of the appropriate separation of church and state and if the state decides to redefine marriage, so be it. I will hope that my concerns prove baseless.

Why should your opinion of God's commands be reflected in U.S. law?

Isn't the Watchmen on the Walls a violent anti-gay group?

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
I've fixed it for Timothy in the original post now.
cheers,
L
Dead Horses Host

Thanks a bunch.

Very interesting link, Timothy. Thanks for putting it there!

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:

Also please note that this thread has veered very far off course: the OP question is

quote:
I was wondering why in (Anglo but not exclusively) Catholic circles those who support the OOW also tend to be affirming on sexuality, whereas in Evangelical circles (Anglo but not exclusively) those who support the OOW tend not to be.

Thank you Louise. I must admit I had pretty much given up hope.

I think it stands that a more catholic theological method links sexuality and gender more intimately than an evangelical theological method.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016