homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Adam 4000 BC. Old earth. My solution (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Adam 4000 BC. Old earth. My solution
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRussell:
@Croesos

I'll admit to being a novice in the area of genetic diversity, and the mitochondrial DNA / Y chromosome research which seems to be the core of this area.
Those with expertise in the area might be able to take my theory and determine what it implies for genetics. My theory itself is very specific.

On a little further reflection, I suspect the content of genetic addition I am postulating (in c. 2300 BC and c. 4000 BC) would not imply a significant increase in genetic diversity at those times. I suspect the answer is that the entry of Cain and Noah's ark would produce barely any additional diversity, since there are such a small number of people and animals entering our world according to my theory.
What would be contributed is a unique, fresh source of human (and animal) DNA, not derived from evolution. I don't know how you'd test for that, I'm just saying that I suspect it's a different test from the tests of genetic diversity to which Croesos refers.

I don't think my theory is vague. I'm quite specific about what happened. I'm only vague on what kind of experiment could test my theory.

Sounds to me like a need to take Genesis literally rather than a need to prove your theory. If you let go of that it will all be much clearer for you imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. . . I don't know how you'd test for that, I'm just saying that I suspect it's a different test from the tests of genetic diversity to which Croesos refers.

I don't think my theory is vague. I'm quite specific about what happened. I'm only vague on what kind of experiment could test my theory.

quote:
An example? A definitive genetic proof against what I'm saying would force me to abandon my current views. I'd probably move to see Genesis 1-11 as myth.

So in summary, you'd abandon your wild supposition in the face of evidence to the contrary, even though that supposition is (deliberately?) designed to be untestable? That's the kind of dishonest, shifty rationalization popular with Intelligent Design (a.k.a. Creationism Lite) advocates.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mike. Thanks Alan. I was right as always. Mike, the only way I can come close to you is in Hell. Which will turn out to be just as much a waste of time as here I'm sure, but at least there there will be no holds barred. So, I cordially invite you to Hell Mike, I think that's a first for me. And you can surprise me by proving that you're not a damnationist for a start.

With enemies like me Mike, you don't need a friend.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MikeRussell
Shipmate
# 16191

- Posted      Profile for MikeRussell   Author's homepage   Email MikeRussell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Martin, from an earlier brief perusal of a Hell board or two, I'm not at all convinced it will be an edifying experience. I don't see myself wanting to get sworn at, personally attacked etc. any time soon. Why would I accept a Hell-call, anyway?

To all readers,
I'm likely signing off at this point, though I will have a look from time to time on this thread, to see if there are substantive comments to interact with. Eutychus is especially likely to get a response if he posts again.... maybe on the Flood....

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed, especially to those who worked hard on their posts.

--------------------
Check out my blog at http://richaelmussell.blogspot.com/, and my genesis 1-11 site at https://sites.google.com/site/genesis111explored/
I also run www.microjointventures.org

Posts: 51 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew you'd do this Mike. I said so from the beginning.

Saying this should get me legalistically banned I'm sure.

You're worth it.

I will not swear at you in Hell. I will not be unfraternal to you there. I will defend you there. Protect you there. In the FULL spirit of François-Marie Arouet. It's only there that we can be free and open and witness.

Relational in Ship's company. You are a VALUED crew member.

So please join me in Hell.

You won't regret it, rough ride though it will be.

Your brother Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MikeRussell
Shipmate
# 16191

- Posted      Profile for MikeRussell   Author's homepage   Email MikeRussell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep getting hits from this old thread, but I've moved the page which the original post points to. If you want to read my views which this thread critiques, you'll be best to go to my site here:
https://sites.google.com/site/genesis111explored/

The original article is reproduced in modified form over a couple of pages here:
https://sites.google.com/site/genesis111explored/home/project-definition

Thanks

--------------------
Check out my blog at http://richaelmussell.blogspot.com/, and my genesis 1-11 site at https://sites.google.com/site/genesis111explored/
I also run www.microjointventures.org

Posts: 51 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016