homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Catholic attitudes on gay and lesbian issues (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Catholic attitudes on gay and lesbian issues
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Finally, we have the case of usury. To paraphrase you: For a thousand years and more, Rome taught the evils of lending money at interest. But it no longer does so. Why not?
The question of usury is an interesting point. We were just talking about it in my history class last week. But I don't think it's quite the same thing. Unlike human nature, economies are created by man not God, and hence can be changed by man as our society evolves. And the prohibition against usury was never total. Jews were allowed by Torah to lend at interest to foreigners, just as long as they didn't to themselves. And likewise Christians were allowed to borrow from the Jews in later times. So I don't think it was ever quite in the category of "intrinsic evil".

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't hear "intrinsic evil" as anything but an oxymoron.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
I can't hear "intrinsic evil" as anything but an oxymoron.

Haha well what's the alternative? Relativistic evil? That's quite a bit more oxymoronic.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The alternative is not to use "evil" as a noun at all. Talk of intrinsic evil makes the whole idea of moral reasoning incoherent. If you, I, or anyone else is stuck with evil regardless of behavior, then thinking about right conduct is a cruel waste of time.

Where does any trait come from which qualifies to be called intrinsic?

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
Yes, they may "feel" that. But they feel wrongly. Catholicism is inherently different from protestantism, there are no grounds for a "loyal opposition" in an "infallible" organization. Either you believe the Church of Rome is just one of many denominations (in which case you are by definition a Protestant), or else she has the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven.

I would nuance this a bit. One cannot dissent from dogma (by definition); if you don't believe in the Trinity, you're not Catholic. You may dissent from doctrine or discipline, but as a Catholic you are still bound to obey the Church in those matters. In other words, you can believe that birth control is really no big deal, but that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility of obeying the Church's rules around it. You may believe that priests should be allowed to marry, and even argue the point in the academic environment, but as a priest you yourself cannot take a wife.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't see how you get from that to the notion that I was advocating a blow-by-blow account of bedroom activities.

How? To be obsessively intrigued with how it is done and how much fun those who allow themselves to do it must be having is almost a definition of being deeply in the closet. Hence the slightest approach to the subject conjures up such visions in the hearer that he exaggerates what has actually been said,
when a happy hetersexual would just yawn. I guess it is one way in which those who try so hard to hide often tip their hands.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016