homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anti-Gay Foster Parents Court Case (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Anti-Gay Foster Parents Court Case
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
As I said a number of times to Saul ( [brick wall] ), why not read the judegment? Including the point where the social worker asked how they would support young people in the following situations:
1 Someone who is confused about their sexuality and thinks they may be gay.

2 A young person who is being bullied in school regarding their sexual orientation.

3 A young person who bullies others regarding the above.

4 Someone in their care whose parents are gay

They weren't able to give examples of what, in practice, they might do or say to support the child. it wasn't saying "we think homosexuality is wrong" that caused concerns.

Yes, and as I said earlier, those are good reasons why it would not be a good idea to place gay children in their care.

Unless the majority of foster children are gay I don't think it is a good enough reason (on its own) to prevent them from being foster parents altogether though.

(Pace Orfeo who has maintained that this is not necessarily about their views on homosexuality.)

[ 03. March 2011, 08:16: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
As I said a number of times to Saul ( [brick wall] ), why not read the judegment? Including the point where the social worker asked how they would support young people in the following situations:
1 Someone who is confused about their sexuality and thinks they may be gay.

2 A young person who is being bullied in school regarding their sexual orientation.

3 A young person who bullies others regarding the above.

4 Someone in their care whose parents are gay

They weren't able to give examples of what, in practice, they might do or say to support the child. it wasn't saying "we think homosexuality is wrong" that caused concerns.

Yes, and as I said earlier, those are good reasons why it would not be a good idea to place gay children in their care.

Unless the majority of foster children are gay I don't think it is a good enough reason (on its own) to prevent them from being foster parents altogether though.

(Pace Orfeo who has maintained that this is not necessarily about their views on homosexuality.)

Situation 3 does not involve them fostering a child who is gay. Neither does situation 2, in fact, as bullies don't stick to the 'truth' when finding excuses to bully. And I simply don't know how you'd screen children to know whether they might become confused about their sexuality at some point.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
They included refusal to take a child to a mosque, and refusal to give up going to church twice on Sundays despite the fact that most respite care occurs on weekends.

I think it was entirely reasonable for the council to feel that their suitability IN GENERAL was questionable. There was a consistent pattern of refusing to budge from any of their own usual behaviours to consider the different needs of a child.

Yes, and for that reason it looks like they probably aren't suitable as foster parents. In which case it has very little to do with their views on homosexuality.

And to be fair to you Orfeo, you have pretty much maintained that throughout this thread.

In that case, why do you continue to worry about the possible implications of the decision for parents with negative views of homosexuality?

I do actually think, by the way, that the considerations for long-term care of children (longer term fostering, or adoption which you raised earlier) might be quite different. In particular, I do think that in those situations there might be some consideration given to the parents and the child being a suitable 'match'.

But the context here was short term respite care. If this couple WERE approved as 'suitable' carers, but with a whole list of caveats, then you couldn't place a child with them until you assessed whether the child was suitable!

As I said, assessing the suitability of the child may well be appropriate in long term or permanent situations, but in the short term context one assessment process ought to be enough. The people responsible for assigning children to actual care positions should not have to spend yet more time going through an assessment of the child. The child needs care, and soon/now. There's a short term carer available. Done. End of process.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Addendum: I can't claim any sudden flash of insight about the design of different processes for long term situations versus short term ones. Truth be told, I've been arguing with a client about this very thing, albeit in a totally different context, for the last few days. So it's on my mind!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well what Derby council actually decided, insofar as it decided anything, was this:
quote:
"Eunice and Owen are kind and hospitable people, who would always do their best to make a child welcome and comfortable. They would endeavour, I am sure, to respond sensitively to a child and would take their responsibilities as carers seriously. The possible shortfalls described in this report in relation to their potential as foster carers do not detract from the fact that they are well-meaning and caring people, who are clearly well-regarded by their family and friends.

It is fair to say that I retain a number of reservations about their potential to meet the wide range of expectations we have of carers to fulfil this very demanding and complex role and would struggle to recommend them for approval as mainstream foster carers.

Panel may wish to consider, however, whether as respite carers for a child matching a specific profile, where the demands and difficulties are likely to be less intense and the role more circumscribed, approval would be appropriate. The question to be considered is whether for a somewhat less challenging role we demand the same degree of demonstrable insight and skill as for full time carers.

In addition Mr and Mrs Johns' views on same sex relationships, which are not in line with the current requirements of the National Standards, and which are not susceptible to change, will need to be considered when panel reaches it's conclusion."

Source: para 16.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iGeek:
Parents who have non-foster children are granted wide latitude and autonomy as to how to raise them. The bar is set quite high before the state can step in. Teaching your children to be religious bigots isn't sufficient cause, at least in Texas, USA. Beating them up or sexually abusing them is. Emotional abuse, depending on the nature and severity, might be.

I'm certainly not arguing for the bar to be lowered.

quote:
But what do you mean by 'religious bigots'? I assume you mean that that would be a good enough reason to prevent fostering children by the state, but not intervention by the state.

That's precisely what I'm saying.

It's because in one situation, the state has primary responsibility for the child and in the other it does not. That is the only point that I'm making.

What ought to be consider religiously informed bigotry is subjective. I'm reasonably certain we would come up with different lists.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Well what Derby council actually decided, insofar as it decided anything, was this:
quote:
"Eunice and Owen are kind and hospitable people, who would always do their best to make a child welcome and comfortable. They would endeavour, I am sure, to respond sensitively to a child and would take their responsibilities as carers seriously. The possible shortfalls described in this report in relation to their potential as foster carers do not detract from the fact that they are well-meaning and caring people, who are clearly well-regarded by their family and friends.

It is fair to say that I retain a number of reservations about their potential to meet the wide range of expectations we have of carers to fulfil this very demanding and complex role and would struggle to recommend them for approval as mainstream foster carers.

Panel may wish to consider, however, whether as respite carers for a child matching a specific profile, where the demands and difficulties are likely to be less intense and the role more circumscribed, approval would be appropriate. The question to be considered is whether for a somewhat less challenging role we demand the same degree of demonstrable insight and skill as for full time carers.

In addition Mr and Mrs Johns' views on same sex relationships, which are not in line with the current requirements of the National Standards, and which are not susceptible to change, will need to be considered when panel reaches it's conclusion."

Source: para 16.
This is the bit that answers Orfeo's question.

If that last paragraph was not there I would drop off this thread. Why is there a need to say 'in addition'? Surely this means that regardless of their general suitability views on same-sex relationships is a deal breaker, in and of itself?

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
What ought to be consider religiously informed bigotry is subjective. I'm reasonably certain we would come up with different lists.

[Confused] I don't get that. Isn't saying that it is subjective admitting that it would be a minefield to make a decision on this?
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
If that last paragraph was not there I would drop off this thread. Why is there a need to say 'in addition'? Surely this means that regardless of their general suitability views on same-sex relationships is a deal breaker, in and of itself?

I don't know what it means. The main thing it means is that you're going over a document from the decision-making process with a fine toothcomb.

The court decision makes it quite clear that was is in issue is not MERELY their 'views' but the way that those views impact on their behaviour. If the Council ended up making a decision (finally!) on the grounds purely of the Jones' views then yes, they could probably get the decision quashed and the Council would be ordered to remake the decision according to law.

But I doubt that any court would instantly jump on that particular paragraph and say "AHA! See? They were excluded because of their VIEWS".

Unlike legislative drafters, council workers are not expected to weigh every single word they use with that kind of precision.

--------------------

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
[Confused] I don't get that. Isn't saying that it is subjective admitting that it would be a minefield to make a decision on this?

It *is* a minefield. We've got a three page thread on it already.

Throughout this thread, you ask, repeatedly, about connecting dots.

I think you are trying to support the idea that if the state can refuse to place children with a family because of their religious beliefs re: homosexuality, what's to stop the state from removing children from families for the same reason?

I've offered my opinion why that's not likely to happen.

The notion of what constitutes "abuse" has changed over time. What is severe *enough* to warrant terminating parental rights? I think that's what you're worried about.

But we're talking apples an oranges.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
I don't know what it means. The main thing it means is that you're going over a document from the decision-making process with a fine toothcomb.

Cut me some slack - Haydee has just accused me of not reading the judgement... now apparently, I'm a pedant!

quote:

But I doubt that any court would instantly jump on that particular paragraph and say "AHA! See? They were excluded because of their VIEWS".

Unlike legislative drafters, council workers are not expected to weigh every single word they use with that kind of precision.

But that is my point. You are discussing this as a legal case (and I agree with you it is a pretty botched one). I'm far more interested in the policy that the council has. The ruling seems to suggest that the council does have a policy to do with religious beliefs about sexuality.

Clearly any council policy will reflect the law but, as you say, council workers will tend to use a much more blunt instrument.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

No, we're talking citrus fruits at least.

If this was the other way round and the courts had made a decision that this couple could foster gay children, are you really saying that you would not view that decision as saying anything at all about the state's view of parenting in general?

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
But that is my point. You are discussing this as a legal case (and I agree with you it is a pretty botched one). I'm far more interested in the policy that the council has. The ruling seems to suggest that the council does have a policy to do with religious beliefs about sexuality.

Clearly any council policy will reflect the law but, as you say, council workers will tend to use a much more blunt instrument.

WHAT ruling?

You can't mean the court judgment, because that's not the council's policy.

You must mean the non-decision that led to the court case.

The only evidence we have of the Council's policy is their statement pointing out that they have lots of devout Christians and Muslims on their books. So no, I don't think 'the ruling' suggests anything LIKE the policy you think it suggests.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

If this was the other way round and the courts had made a decision that this couple could foster gay children
Not the decision the court was even ASKED to make.

And that's what frustrates me about the reporting of this case.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:

Correct.

I was referring to this, quoted earlier by Ricardus:

quote:
In addition Mr and Mrs Johns' views on same sex relationships, which are not in line with the current requirements of the National Standards, and which are not susceptible to change, will need to be considered when panel reaches it's conclusion.

[ 06. March 2011, 00:09: Message edited by: Johnny S ]

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Correct.

I was referring to this, quoted earlier by Ricardus:

quote:
In addition Mr and Mrs Johns' views on same sex relationships, which are not in line with the current requirements of the National Standards, and which are not susceptible to change, will need to be considered when panel reaches it's conclusion.

Exactly. Will need to be considered. Not 'will lead to them being ruled out'.

The alternative is 'must not be considered'. Which would be ridiculous in my view.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

If you're talking about the bit that says 'not in line with the National Standards', then you realise that the National Standards aren't the council's policy. They're much wider than that.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And here, as a reminder, is the exact text of the policy:

quote:
The fostering service ensures that children and young people, and their families,
are provided with foster care services which value diversity and promote equality.

Now, is your problem with that policy? Or is your problem that when applying the policy to these particular facts, someone took the view that the Jones' didn't come up to the mark?

Standard 7 on page 12 if you feel like reading the document that the council probably has to read.

[ 06. March 2011, 01:31: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

It's also worth noting that in the judgment, the Jones' lawyer specifically said they were not challenging the policy!

quote:
It is important to note that, in answer to a specific question we put to him, Mr Diamond confirmed to us in terms that none of these instruments was challenged as being either not compliant with the Convention or otherwise unlawful. So there is no suggestion that the defendant's policies as set out in the instruments Mr Weston relies upon are unlawful; Mr Diamond's challenge is only to the way in which the defendant is (or, to put the point more accurately, may be) proposing to apply the legislation and the policies to the claimants' application.
Which makes it all the more strange that here on the Ship, in the media and elsewhere, people are trying to talk about the 'wider implications' of the decision. If they were only challenging the application of these policies in this one, specific, case, then how are there ANY wider implications? They explicitly disavowed any challenge to the actual policy documents of the council, or the National Standards, or the relevant regulations, or anything else in a long list of policy material.

QED.

[ 06. March 2011, 01:40: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Which makes it all the more strange that here on the Ship, in the media and elsewhere, people are trying to talk about the 'wider implications' of the decision. If they were only challenging the application of these policies in this one, specific, case, then how are there ANY wider implications? They explicitly disavowed any challenge to the actual policy documents of the council, or the National Standards, or the relevant regulations, or anything else in a long list of policy material.

QED.

QED - but What has been demonstrated?

In your profession you may be very interested in legal rulings but this is not a legal bulletin board. Decisions like this bring in to play the complex interaction between public opinion, state guidelines and legal decisions.

UK Law is not written on tablets of stone. Rulings are made by people in time with current legislation on one hand and the current situation on the other.

You are probably right that lots of people are reading far too much into this one case. Nonetheless, for good or ill, the reality of life is that right across society other people with similar (although different) decisions to make are taking notice and trying to draw conclusions. You are being King Canute if you think otherwise.

orfeo

# 13878

What has been demonstrated is that there are no possible policy implications. Because even the Jones' didn't think there were.

At least, until they lost and ran to the media. Then suddenly it was all about the policy.

What people all over the country are taking notice of are THE POLICY DOCUMENTS. THAT ALREADY EXISTED!!!! THAT THEY ALREADY, BY LAW, HAD TO APPLY!!!!!!!!!!

[ 06. March 2011, 03:19: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Basically, the fact is that a whole pile of policies already existed. And haven't changed one iota. All that's changed is your awareness that they exist.

The case didn't create a single policy. All that the case said was that the Jones' don't get to have special treatment because they are so convinced of their own moral rightness.

It's not a court's job to approve of a policy. It's only a court's job to see to it that it's applied correctly.

[ 06. March 2011, 03:23: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
the reality of life is that right across society other people with similar (although different) decisions to make are taking notice and trying to draw conclusions

Yes, I know I shouldn't be posting in fits and starts, it's just that kind of day.

I'd be very interested to know just who these other people are. Because, if we're talking government decisions, anyone with basic training in government administration should know perfectly well that this case means nothing and they should keep following the laws and policies already in place.

And if any decision-maker was stupid enough to TRY and reason along the lines of 'this case said that Christian views on homosexuality were bad', then that decision would be overturned by a court so fast the bloke's head would spin.

If who you think is drawing conclusions are the members of the public rather than the decision-makers, then so be it. You're right, some of them are drawing conclusions. But people draw conclusions from every piece of nonsense they come across. People treat fictional TV characters as if they're real. I can't help it if a certain proportion of the planet consists of total idiots. Doesn't mean I have to like it or treat their concerns seriously.

--------------------

Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
quote:
Originally posted by Bran Stark:
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
Are you seriously suggesting that 'personal religious views' should supersede "human rights"? [Eek!]

Well anyone who believes that God is telling him one thing and secular society another thing, and then chooses to follow secular society, is a very strange person indeed. [Smile]

So from the standpoint of individual persons, that view is certainly correct.

OK, so if God tells me to put you to death, that is perfectly acceptable?
You're missing the point. If I believe God tells me to do something, then by definition I believe that thing is right.

Now obviously other people will often use religion to justify things I oppose, and in such cases I obviously think they are deluded in fancying God supports them. But I can't fault them as far as being logically consistent goes.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's also worth noting that in the judgment, the Jones' lawyer specifically said they were not challenging the policy!

quote:
It is important to note that, in answer to a specific question we put to him, Mr Diamond confirmed to us in terms that none of these instruments was challenged as being either not compliant with the Convention or otherwise unlawful. So there is no suggestion that the defendant's policies as set out in the instruments Mr Weston relies upon are unlawful; Mr Diamond's challenge is only to the way in which the defendant is (or, to put the point more accurately, may be) proposing to apply the legislation and the policies to the claimants' application.

QED.

Indeed. That is what a spokesman for the Evangelical Alliance said on BBC Radio 4's Sunday programme this morning.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just watched this couple interviewed on the 'One Show'. Mrs Johns stated explicitly, in answer to a direct question, that their religious beliefs would come before the needs of any child that they fostered. She added that their religious beliefs in fact came before their own children.

Whatever your views of their steadfast adherence to their faith, it is difficult to see how any fostering authority could ignore that kind of statement.

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB]You're missing the point. If I believe God tells me to do something, then by definition I believe that thing is right.

A reply to this probably deserves its own thread. Because there is a whole truckload of moral abdication there. And moral abdication that even now comes with lethal consequences.

I don't even come close to being the wordsmith Mark Twain was. So I'll let him present the opposing case from Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
quote:
So I was full of trouble, full as I could be; and didn't know what to do. At last I had an idea; and I says, I'll go and write the letter - and then see if I can pray. Why, it was astonishing, the way I felt as light as a feather right straight off, and my troubles all gone. So I got a piece of paper and a pencil, all glad and excited, and set down and wrote:

Miss Watson, your runaway nigger Jim is down here two mile below Pikesville, and Mr. Phelps has got him and he will give him up for the reward if you send. Huck Finn.

I felt good and all washed clean of sin for the first time I had ever felt so in my life, and I knowed I could pray now. But I didn't do it straight off, but laid the paper down and set there thinking - thinking how good it was all this happened so, and how near I come to being lost and going to hell. And went on thinking. And got to thinking over our trip down the river; and I see Jim before me all the time: in the day and in the night-time, sometimes moonlight, sometimes storms, and we a-floating along, talking and singing and laughing. But somehow I couldn't seem to strike no places to harden me against him, but only the other kind. I'd see him standing my watch on top of his'n, 'stead of calling me, so I could go on sleeping; and see him how glad he was when I come back out of the fog; and when I come to him again in the swamp, up there where the feud was; and suchlike times; and would always call me honey, and pet me, and do everything he could think of for me, and how good he always was; and at last I struck the time I saved him by telling the men we had smallpox aboard, and he was so grateful, and said I was the best friend old Jim ever had in the world, and the only one he's got now; and then I happened to look around and see that paper.

It was a close place. I took it up, and held it in my hand. I was a-trembling, because I'd got to decide, forever, betwixt two things, and I knowed it. I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath, and then says to myself:

"All right, then, I'll go to hell" - and tore it up.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now obviously other people will often use religion to justify things I oppose, and in such cases I obviously think they are deluded in fancying God supports them. But I can't fault them as far as being logically consistent goes.

So if the rules for fostering are X and they feel God is telling them to do not-X, why the hell would they sign up at all?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anne:
I've just watched this couple interviewed on the 'One Show'. Mrs Johns stated explicitly, in answer to a direct question, that their religious beliefs would come before the needs of any child that they fostered. She added that their religious beliefs in fact came before their own children.

Whatever your views of their steadfast adherence to their faith, it is difficult to see how any fostering authority could ignore that kind of statement.

anne

What I find peculiar is the apparent distinction between their children and their religious beliefs, as if they are completely separate entities.
What gospel are they reading if they think that church attendance takes precedence over the needs of children they are responsible for?

IMHO, it is this rather than their views on homosexuality that raises questions about their suitability for providing foster care.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
So if the rules for fostering are X and they feel God is telling them to do not-X, why the hell would they sign up at all?

They shouldn't sign up, then. Of course.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're missing the point. If I believe God tells me to do something, then by definition I believe that thing is right.

That rather depends on what you think God is like.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

Haha well I guess you could believe in a God who tells His people to do evil... but that one would be hardly worthy of worship.

--------------------

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

Haha well I guess you could believe in a God who tells His people to do evil... but that one would be hardly worthy of worship.
I'm sure that God doesn't get things wrong, but I'm not sure that I believe in people who don't get things wrong.

It is possible to do something wrong because 'God is telling me to do it' - not because God told me to do a wrong thing, but because my understanding of what he was saying - or whether he was speaking at all - was wrong. It's a discernment thing, and listening to other people can be an important part of that discernment.

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I think because those used not to be the rules - and they originally fostered (but had a break) before the rules were changed, so felt they were still likely to be good foster carers.

Others in this position (completely new carers) may sign up now feeling that their views are right and the best ones to promote to children, though - so it could partly be that - they think the rules are an ass.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
they think the rules are an ass.

Tough.

Rule of law does not mean 'I'll follow the rules that I personally think are good ones, and I get to ignore the others'.

What it means is there are avenues for advocating change of the rules you don't like.

--------------------

shipscat
Apprentice
# 5219

- Posted      Profile for shipscat   Email shipscat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two small shreds of personal experience that seem relevant to this issue to tentatively share with the Ship...

Firstly, as a foster carer, I was asked at the beginning of just one placement, where the children's mother had stated that she was Catholic and preferred her children to attend Catholic Mass on Sundays, if I was willing to take the children to Catholic Mass. This question was presented as a deal breaker. I said we went to a different kind of church but were perfectly happy for the social workers to take the children to their preferred church while we went to ours. We heard no more dissent or concern on this issue. (Sometimes avoidance of the words 'yes' or 'no' can work wonders for forward momentum.)

Secondly, as a teacher, I learned long ago to preface any mention of religious doctrine in class with 'some people believe ... and other people don't'. I thus manage to convey principles of various religions' doctrines without the preaching and persuading the powers that be are afraid of.

I take my cue on this tricky issue from Jesus, who appears to have had a knack for guessing the sub-text of the questions he was asked by the authorities of his day and was a master at evading entrapment. If we were all as good at listening with our hearts and asking pertinent questions of our potential accusers, in return for their impertinent questions, instead of instantly assuming a stalwart, all guns blazing verbal defense of our morals, lifestyle or principles, we might possibly avoid the angry, adversarial confrontation that so often has the unfortunate outcome of marring the reputation of Christians active in caring for the community.

The most sensible young people I've met have been those who've been able to talk openly and without censure on any topic they've come across in their junior travels with at least one caring, faithful, listening parent figure, whose quiet and consistent influence sets a shining example of how to behave in a world awash with bewildering options. (Actions, to youthful, inquiring minds, speak far louder than words.)

Posts: 14 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
they think the rules are an ass.

Tough.

Rule of law does not mean 'I'll follow the rules that I personally think are good ones, and I get to ignore the others'.

What it means is there are avenues for advocating change of the rules you don't like.

This warrants saying again. Don't like the rules? Tough. Work to change them. Meanwhile they're the rules. It has to go pretty far, I think, to get into the "I can't follow these rules" exceptions. This wasn't My Lai or anything close.

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shipscat:
Firstly, as a foster carer, I was asked at the beginning of just one placement, where the children's mother had stated that she was Catholic and preferred her children to attend Catholic Mass on Sundays, if I was willing to take the children to Catholic Mass. This question was presented as a deal breaker.

Surely the social workers were simply doing the right thing in trying to see that the mother's wishes on church attendance were fulfilled. That you talk in such accusing terms as "deal breaker", "entrapment", "potential accusers", and "impertinent questions" I find rather worrying, but perhaps you didn't mean it in that way.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship's Cat--

Hypothetical question: if you had kids, and you died, and there were no relatives to take care of them, and the kids wound up in foster care...

Would you want the foster parents to take the kids to your kind of church? Or their own? What if the foster parents were of another faith altogether? Or atheists?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the Johns' are asking Derby Council to reconsider their suitability to be foster parents (6th April) with a re-submission.

Here is a snippet from a Radio 5 live show which discusses the case (both for and against with Stonewall spokesperson and Bishop Nazir Ali).

http://christianconcern.com/media/bishop-michael-nazir-ali-discusses-owen-and-eunice-johns-judgment-on-bbc-radio-5-live

Saul the Apostle

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting.

Eunice Jones tells a lie - completely contradicts what is already on record - she denies all stuff about 'trying to turn' a child (husband's words) or about teaching right from wrong. She simply says she cannot go along with homosexuality, or words to that extent.

Nazir Ali continues his persecution complex. The more I hear of him, the more I wish he would do what he promised to do upon retirement, that is to support Christians facing persecution. I could give him a list of countries to which he could go and leave us alone.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Nazir Ali continues his persecution complex. The more I hear of him, the more I wish he would do what he promised to do upon retirement, that is to support Christians facing persecution. I could give him a list of countries to which he could go and leave us alone.

I'm not a fan of his theology by any means, but he is not long back from a trip to churches in Iraq which makes him braver than me - it's not on my holiday destination list, so I think slagging him off in those terms is in poor taste.

L.

[ 08. April 2011, 20:41: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

He slags plenty of other people off.

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He slags plenty of other people off.

Let him speak for himself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhmUKFLt64

S t A

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

He speaks all over the place. This is one of his more measured interviews - however, when discussing sharia law he says that it is wrong to have religious law as part of the law of the land - he seems to be forgetting canon law.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

He thinks multiculturalism is a 'mish-mash' - which, being interpreted, means he wants Christianity to continue to rule the roost.

According to Peter Tatchel, "He has repeatedly spoken and voted against gay human rights in the House of Lords, defending homophobic laws like the unequal age of consent, criticising civil partnership legislation and opposing IVF fertility treatment for lesbian couples."

He supported the war against Iraq.

He told the Sunday Telegraph that legislation should be introduced giving some officials the power to remove the veil worn by Muslim women.

In 2000, he said married couples had a duty to have children, and those who remained childless were "self-indulgent".

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

quote:
He thinks multiculturalism is a 'mish-mash' - which, being interpreted, means he wants Christianity to continue to rule the roost.

According to Peter Tatchel, "He has repeatedly spoken and voted against gay human rights in the House of Lords, defending homophobic laws like the unequal age of consent, criticising civil partnership legislation and opposing IVF fertility treatment for lesbian couples."

He supported the war against Iraq.

He told the Sunday Telegraph that legislation should be introduced giving some officials the power to remove the veil worn by Muslim women.

In 2000, he said married couples had a duty to have children, and those who remained childless were "self-indulgent".

Leo,

I can't confirm or deny what you've posted as I'm not a Nazir Ali 'follower' as such. Coming, as I do, from the evangelical wing of the Church I confess we've tended to shoot first and take no prisoners in terms of the general gay debate. Although i am quite clear on what Scripture says about the issue as well as the Church fathers over two millennia.

Back to the OP, once again I have no personal knowledge of the Johns as people and perhaps with hindsight it wasn't worth taking Derby Council to law on this matter.

I do maintain the closing of Catholic foster agencies was an utter tragedy though.

Saul the Apostle

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
Although i am quite clear on what Scripture says about the issue as well as the Church fathers over two millennia.

So said many in 1860 about slavery.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
I do maintain the closing of Catholic foster agencies was an utter tragedy though.

Not familiar with the UK version of this, but if it's anything like what happened in certain U.S. juridictions with same-sex marriage/civil partnership laws, the end result is foster kids having their cases handled by other organizations that won't filter out otherwise acceptable fosterers on purely theological (and largely hypocritical) grounds. I don't see a situation where more foster kids are placed with loving homes as "an utter tragedy", but YMMV.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a short thread from about a year ago dealing with the Catholic Church's position on charitable operations or employee benefit packages that might benefit someone homosexual. (Short version: they're opposed!)

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016