homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Will the Cof E become a less tolerant place? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Will the Cof E become a less tolerant place?
Mystic Rose
Apprentice
# 12859

- Posted      Profile for Mystic Rose   Email Mystic Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We now reach a crucial stage in the life of the Church of England as every deanery and diocese will be asked discusses the proposed legislation to allow women to become bishops. We must decide whether we want the Church of England which will continue to be broad-church embracing differences or whether it opts to become a narrower and less colourful church.

Firstly, I would like to begin by saying that no one would deny it appears to be the will of the Church of England to want and have women Bishops, and I doubt that Anglo-Catholics or conservative evangelicals want to block the wishes of the majority. What needs addressing is not about the principle of women bishops but the draft legislation and the provisions or lack of them it afforded to traditionalists.

What provision will be made for those who in all conscience cannot accept the ordination of women to the Episcopate? At the moment this looks empty we are asked to sign up to a Code of Practice which has yet to be written. Would anyone really sign a blank cheque?

It has often been acknowledged that those who dissent from the issue of the ordination of women are just as much loyal Anglicans as those who are in favour. Furthermore, protection for traditionalist is enshrined “should remain in perpetuity for as long as anyone should want it.” With this in mind it should be only a matter of fairness and justice that provision is offered for which we need. I do say ‘need’ and not ‘want.’ What we wanted has long disappeared as too has many of the options to allow us to remain – A Third Province – rejected. A None Geographical Diocese – rejected. Transferred Episcopal Authority – rejected and only last July, amendments proposed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York – rejected. Let’s not forget the unfortunate sight of a liberal bishop in tears saying to General Synod July 2008 that he was ashamed to be a member of the Church of England because of their lack of grace towards traditionalist.

So although we are referred to as loyal Anglicans and our views are just as acceptable as those who are pro-women bishops, the reality seems oddly different. I do feel as though for many years we loyal Anglicans have had to beg for any grudging concession. But as brothers and sisters in Christ that attitude should give way to generosity and love. Both sides in this debate can be winners. Those who are prowomen bishops can see this legislation passed where women can be bishops in diocese and even archbishops. And that those who are opposed can be offered bishops ensuring sacramental assurance and biblical headship. A mutual sacrifice can be made to allow for the maximum of communion where we can work together. For traditionalists it will mean that any man who offers himself for ordination must be aware that offices of diocesan bishops and archbishops will be out of bounds, for the few bishops who will be assigned for traditionalist would mean it is unrealistic to think of the ministry as a career path.
A way forward can be found. The Society model is a welcome initiative. It is not meant to be some kind of quasi-ecclesiastical body but a means for traditionalists to thrive within the Church of England. If it is to work bishops will need sacramental jurisdiction so that we can be confident about headship, sacramental assurance, and our mission and ministry within the life of the Church of England can be assured.

What we ask for is not unreasonable. After all we start from the context that our faith is an authentic expression of Anglicanism which has been guaranteed by the Church of England. Lambeth resolution 98 recognises our belief as a legitimate position and the General Synod affirmed this in 2006. We are every bit equal heirs of the inheritance of our Church. The Church of England is part of that one, holy catholic church it is not the whole part and has to take in to account those who hold on to the historic expression of its ministry. Catholic assent has not been given to this move and the issue of reception is still open and is not a settled issue; final confirmation awaits on the decision of the whole of the church not just our tiny provincial synod.

If traditionalist are merely offered the minimal, a Code of Practice which at the moment is a blank cheque, or the arrangement of a local deal where a bishop only has to have “regard,” this will be utterly unacceptable.
This will leave traditionalist in an impossible position.
1. Men will no longer be able to offer themselves up to test their vocation.
2. Many priest and people will be forced out of the church of their birth. Priests will be denied pulpits to preach the faith, denied altars to offer the sacrifice of the mass, denied their homes and livelihood, removed from the communities and the people they love and serve.
3. Or they will remain and work contrary to their conscience needing to answer for that on the day of judgement.
4. Or they will remain and work in loyal rebellion, asking bishops from other provinces to give them sacramental assurance/headship need.
None of these options glorifies God or his Church. A better way must be found. A way in which as loyal Anglicans we can remain, and which, with our brothers and sisters in Christ who take a different view, mutually get out of the battlefield and work as much as possible together in the mission field.

I pray God that we will all fight to ensure that we can remain with you in this Church of England.

Posts: 6 | From: dying star | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your future is The Episcopal Church and the Church of Sweden. Get used to it. The sooner the kicking and screaming stops, the better.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
For traditionalists it will mean that any man who offers himself for ordination must be aware that offices of diocesan bishops and archbishops will be out of bounds, for the few bishops who will be assigned for traditionalist would mean it is unrealistic to think of the ministry as a career path.
This is where you show your cards, despite your pretension of calling for a tolerant Church.

Traditionalists can't even work with people they disagree with? Your views are ONLY tenable if the episcopacy is exclusively male?

What about people who disagree with you? The only way to make a place for you in the Church is to do things your way and only your way?

Right.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry Mystic Rose, I think I missed a logical step from this sequence...

Currently: any woman who offers herself for ordination must be aware that offices of diocesan bishops and archbishops are out of bounds

Proposed: offices of diocesan bishops and archbishops will not be out of bounds (on the grounds of gender) to any man or woman who offers themself for ordination

You say this leads to: any man who offers himself for ordination must be aware that offices of diocesan bishops and archbishops will be out of bounds

Or did you only mean any traditionalist man?
I still don't get why they couldn't also aspire to the episcopacy.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mystic Rose,

I believe my cards are on the table regarding sacraments that have been traditionally understood to be ontologically gendered and personally find it bizarre that the Church treats these sacraments differently.

But that bizarreness is found throughout the CofE in terms of sacramental theology. I have met countless divorcee's who carry a sense of shame and were even refused communion in the past due to a previous marriage dissolved under serious circumstances that would count as 'annulments' in another communion.

My experience of Evangelical and Liberal friends and colleagues in the CofE is that very few have a sacramental theology of the type that your post relies upon. The Archbishops did their best but Synod did not understand or listen.

Some Evangelical congregations are actually resolution B at heart, as some of my female friends have discovered to their hurt. Unable to accept overall female headship for the parish (or congregation) let alone for their diocese and a different sacramental theology we may see even further distance between Dioceses and some of their Evangelical congregations. Again the theology has not be done.

Of course in fully accepting the Priestly ministry of women, whilst being cautious about a lack of theological leadership in regards to the Episcopal ministry of women I find myself between a rock and a hard place. But I have female colleagues who share my concerns.

There is so much to say that I fear I cannot due to my 'Outness' on this board. I cannot name names or even allude to situations. But the C of E in general is becoming less and less tolerant in terms of sacramental theology. When the questions people are asking are along the lines of 'is there any real difference between and agape meal and a Priestly presided Eucharist' and the unspoken answer is 'no', and to suggest otherwise is regarded with suspicion then I can understand why some feel the Carolinian understanding of the primitive Church of England is dead in the water when compared to a 'reformed and reforming' Rome.

I am not a big six Catholic and I wonder how the Catholic movement has managed quite so successfully to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the Church. But at heart the issue the Swishers are facing is far wider than just about them.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My agreement with the OP is so complete, about all I can say at the moment is:

Well said. My prayers are with you and your kind.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Church of England will be no more or less tolerant than it was before now. The C of E is becoming more tolerant of women clergy but less tolerant to "traditionalist" clergy. It's a wash.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
The Church of England will be no more or less tolerant than it was before now. The C of E is becoming more tolerant of women clergy but less tolerant to "traditionalist" clergy. It's a wash.

What's being asked for is a set of rules that the traditionalists can trust will not be set aside in the future that ensures they will have a continuing, respected place when women bishops arrive. Given the inability of the church to pay up when the traditionalists sought to cash the promises made when the ordination of women went through, this doesn't seem unreasonable. To introduce an intolerance of people on what is unquestionably a second order issue (the gender of the ordained) demonstrates an unwillingness to take the rhetoric about being a 'broad church' seriously when it means something that you find uncomfortable. Don't expect ANY tolerance from Evangelicals over priests in gay relationship - the words 'we are a broad church' have been redefined to mean 'we are a church requiring conformity to what we regard as of major importance'.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There cannot be any tolerance in a community concerning what is essential to that community. I think this kills the "traditional Anglican" line. Let me elaborate:

It seems to me that there are two axes of opinions here: 1) Either women can be bishops, then it is unacceptable injustice to hinder them. Or they can't, then it is blasphemous to play pretend. 2) Either bishops are essential for the doctrinal, moral and judicial government of the Church, then it is crucial to assign the mitre only to those who can validly wear it. Or not, then not. Hence:
code:
         only men
¦
A ¦ B
¦
essential ----- not essential
¦
C ¦ D
¦
both genders

Clearly, the RCC and the Orthodox are at A. It seems to me that this position is incompatible with B, C and D. With C it agrees on the importance on bishops, but hence cannot agree with C allowing women to become bishops. With B and D it disagrees on the essential governing element of the community.

In order to be in one community with those who consider women as bishops, one would have to be in B. If something is not essential to a community, then different opinions are possible. A similar argument can be made for those of C not being compatible with any other square, since they think both that women can be bishops and that bishops are essential for the community. Again, living in one community with those who would only have men requires moving to square D.

Thus in my eyes any arrangement that somehow combines both all male and female bishops in one community forces that community to consider bishops as non-essential. B and D may be combined, but not A and C. However, then there is no case from tradition for all male bishops in such a community. Tradition rests squarely with A, not B. B is a departure from tradition! So I just don't get the "traditional Anglican" argument...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
To introduce an intolerance of people...

That's the problem, methinks. I for one see the dawn of women bishops as removing intolerance, not introducing it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's very interesting to me that back-to-back posts argue, from almost the same point of view, that the gender of the ordained is both "unquestionably a second-order issue" and also "essential" - for the same constituency!

Yes, very interesting. I've noticed, during other church controversies - ahem - that when odd things like this surface it's an indicator of some fault in one of the base axioms. I mean, if two opposing arguments are used in the same case, something fishy is going on.

Very interesting indeed....

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
A similar argument can be made for those of C not being compatible with any other square, since they think both that women can be bishops and that bishops are essential for the community.

C is not inherently incompatible with A, in as much as the beliefs in C can be held without there actually being any female bishops in the church.

It's only when the people in C move from "there's nothing inherently wrong with women bishops" to "we must have women bishops" that the incompatability comes in.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice try, IngoB, but you are wrong in assuming that bishops as essential is the traditional doctrine of the CofE - rather it is a belief which the Oxford Movement discovered; the history of the CofE before the 19th century has it in close contact with Protestant churches of Europe, in no way doubting their validity. This view has been reiterated with the adoption of the Porvoo agreement by the CofE
quote:

56 On the basis of this agreement we believe
that our churches should confidently acknowledge one another as churches and enter in to a new relationship:

that each church as a whole has maintained an authentic apostolic succession of witness and service;

that each church has had transmitted to it an apostolic ministry of word and sacrament by prayer and the laying on of hands;

that each church has maintained an orderly succession of episcopal ministry within the continuity of its pastoral life, focused in the consecrations of bishops and in the experience and witness of the historic sees.

57 In the light of all this we find that the time has come when all our churches can affirm together the value and use of the sign of the historic episcopal succession. This means that those churches in which the sign has at some time not been used are free to recognise the value of the sign and should embrace it without denying their own apostolic continuity. This also means that those churches in which the sign has been used are free to recognise the reality of the episcopal office and should affirm the apostolic continuity of those churches in which the sign of episcopal succession has at some time not been used.

Porvoo agreement - section on Episcopacy
In the light of this position B is entirely logical, and a B / D coalition perfectly acceptable, as long as the traditionalist integrity is respected.

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nice try, IngoB, but you are wrong in assuming that bishops as essential is the traditional doctrine of the CofE - rather it is a belief which the Oxford Movement discovered...
Not it's not. It was the belief of folks like Thomas Cranmer and William Laud. Whether the episcopacy was essential to Christianity, for Cranmer, was ambiguous. But its centrality to English Christianity was never denied. Laud believed the episcopacy and apostolic succession was divinely ordained going back to Jesus Christ himself.

Zach

[ 10. May 2011, 15:28: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I often think that traditionalists at the Evangelical end of the spectrum are more at one with the Evangelical church as a whole (Evangelical Alliance of many denominations) rather than Anglicans. It wouldn't surprise me if these men decide to become Evangelicals of a different denomination rather than stay in the CofE (they are hardly likely to want to join the ordinariate).

I shall be watching out with interest to see what happens in the nearby parish which is of the above theology - the priest did say originally that he would leave, but that was many years ago before it was likely to become a reality. It would mean sacrificing a lot, including a lovely building and all the perks of being a CofE minister, for the great unknown. Not everyone would be willing to do that towards the end of their ministry, even for high ideals.

I think about half the congregation would manage to become more tolerant (and are probably more tolerant secretly already - judging by disagreements over gays, for example, which have already occurred), but maybe the other half will follow whatever the priest decides to do. An almighty split if it does go ahead.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
I think about half the congregation would manage to become more tolerant (and are probably more tolerant secretly already - judging by disagreements over gays, for example, which have already occurred), but maybe the other half will follow whatever the priest decides to do. An almighty split if it does go ahead.
If last few rounds of schisms in the Episcopal Church are any indication, a lot fewer people will actually leave than the schismatics hope, when all is said and done.

Zach

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a great deal of trouble seeing how those who cry "Tolerance" and advocate women bishops do not also advocate a safe place for those who cannot in good conscience accept the ministry of women bishops.

I am not a fan of the current Archbishop of Canterbury. But, to his credit, he has advocated such a safe place. That the rest of the C of E is slow to follow his lead in this matter and may instead go in the opposite direction is sad indeed.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I can't really see the difference between a faction of the Church walling themselves up in a ghetto where they can safely deny the validity of everyone else's Christian experience and just plain schism, Punk.

If you really want to be one Church with people you disagree with, you have to work beside them. The "traditionalist" solutions offered here only try to arrange matters so that "traditionalists" can go on not working with everyone else.

Zach

[ 10. May 2011, 15:50: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have never been persuaded by those who argue that the church has no authority to ordain women to priesthood or episcopacy. I don't think there has been sufficient reflection on Matthew 16: 19:

"I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

In a divided church the issue is always "who has the power?" and "how is the power used?" When Pope Victor, in or around 180AD wanted to excommunicate all those who didn't keep Easter on the same day he did, Eusebius reported: "But this was not to the taste of all the bishops; they replied with a request that he would turn his mind to the things that make for peace."

We have learned to live with many differences without calling them church-dividing. Who knew 100, 200, 300 years ago that Anglicans had a patrimony that would enrich the church of Rome?

Absent from the discussion so far is any mention of the Holy Spirit, always an elusive epiphany, and whether or not the Holy Spirit may be giving witness among the divided churches of the merits of women priests/bishops? Just a few thoughts.

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zach82 wrote
quote:
If last few rounds of schisms in the Episcopal Church are any indication, a lot fewer people will actually leave than the schismatics hope, when all is said and done.

I don't know - you've lost about 10% total headcount over the last 10 years if memory serves (?). But TEC is a much smaller church than most other mainstream US churches and seems to gain quite a lot of people from them, at least if judged by the testimonies of many I have seen.

I suspect (and its only a suspicion because you would need to put the figures together to be certain either way) that TEC is actually churning a lot of people, i.e. they are actually losing quite a lot of people, but also attracting quite a few as well.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Zach82 wrote
quote:

I don't know - you've lost about 10% total headcount over the last 10 years if memory serves (?). But TEC is a much smaller church than most other mainstream US churches and seems to gain quite a lot of people from them, at least if judged by the testimonies of many I have seen.

I suspect (and its only a suspicion because you would need to put the figures together to be certain either way) that TEC is actually churning a lot of people, i.e. they are actually losing quite a lot of people, but also attracting quite a few as well.

Neither of these have much to do with schism. Christianity in general is simply losing members, including the Roman Catholic Church when the influx of Latin American immigrants is factored out. Loose denominational allegiance is also merely a (regrettable) factor of American spiritually.

Zach

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's also really interesting is this point in Ender's Shadow's post:

quote:
Don't expect ANY tolerance from Evangelicals over priests in gay relationship - the words 'we are a broad church' have been redefined to mean 'we are a church requiring conformity to what we regard as of major importance'.
IOW, "truth" really has little consequence in any of these discussions; it's all political hardball and "alliances" against enemies.

And of course the people actually involved are inconsequential as well. Well, we knew that already; thanks for clarifying, though.....

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK Zach82 - I read your post to be more about people leaving in general than about schism in particular. I think schism is even less likely here. The number of departing congregations leaving for a new denom. (as opposed to joining an existing one) is vanishingly small. We will lose people primarily by attrition rather than schism I feel.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

The CofE already "tolerates" women clergy. In **** it ordains them. This problem is about how a minority of a minority who cannot tolerate women priests - and who are not at all the same as theological "traditionalists" - want the rest of us to treat them.

And if you or anyone else think that this is a dispute between theological liberals and conservatives, well it isn't, they are found on both sides.

Not is it between political liberals and conservatives, they are found on both sides.

Nor is it between those for and against recognising gay partnerships for clergy, they are also found on both sides.

But we've been over this before. This whole thread is already dominated by the usual whinging, including mine. Cut its throat and drain the blood into the gutter of the knackers yard along with all the other rotting meat that's too stinking for sausages.

[ 10. May 2011, 17:14: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dead horses is not quite the same as putrefying carrion. This, I feel, belongs in the latter.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
JohnWesleysHorse
Shipmate
# 14975

- Posted      Profile for JohnWesleysHorse   Email JohnWesleysHorse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Your future is The Episcopal Church and the Church of Sweden.

Yes please!
Posts: 74 | From: Leeds | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nice try, IngoB, but you are wrong in assuming that bishops as essential is the traditional doctrine of the CofE - rather it is a belief which the Oxford Movement discovered; the history of the CofE before the 19th century has it in close contact with Protestant churches of Europe, in no way doubting their validity. ... In the light of this position B is entirely logical, and a B / D coalition perfectly acceptable, as long as the traditionalist integrity is respected.

I completely agree, and have agreed in my post above, that a coalition of B & D is viable. I just don't buy the "argument from tradition" for B. Clearly, any argument for "men only as bishops" must seek its roots elsewhere than the situation of England in 1538. But if one looks further back in time and space in order to motivate "men only", then one must also look further back for the role of the bishop. And there cannot be any doubt that pre-Reformation at least, the bishop was considered essential.

What I'm trying to get at is that the argument from tradition is inconsistent for Anglicans. If you limit yourself to tradition "from 1538 onward in England", then frankly, it's a "tradition" of sometimes fast and drastic and sometimes slow and mild change from what came before. And at any rate, it's a "tradition" that lacks an undisputed, continuing authority on what is the tradition that one must follow here and now. I do not see how one can derive "men only" from this with any degree of doctrinal certainty. However, if one goes back in time and away in space to motivate "men only", then there is no good reason why one should not equally honour other aspects of this "deeper" tradition. And the essential role of the bishop in this "deeper" tradition is undisputed.

I'm not saying that one can't combine B & D. I'm saying that the argument used for motivating B ("men only" is traditional) is inconsistent, because where you end up with that argument is A, not B. The problem is that the people arguing for "men only" generally have no other argument than "tradition". B is not a stable option, since it cannot be motivated consistently, it makes no sense to say that bishop are non-essential but must be male. Or at least, tradition does not justify that claim. But without any good reason, how to fend off D? (Don't get me wrong, I think there are valid theological reasons for "men only". However, I'm not aware that such reasons have "dogmatic force" anywhere - RCC and the Orthodox are deriving their policy from tradition, in the A way.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
OK Zach82 - I read your post to be more about people leaving in general than about schism in particular. I think schism is even less likely here. The number of departing congregations leaving for a new denom. (as opposed to joining an existing one) is vanishingly small. We will lose people primarily by attrition rather than schism I feel.

How much of that attrition is traditionalists with reasoned and learned theological stances, and how much of that is other people with very little theological training just plain fed up with all the arguing?

[Edited to remove the word 'normal', ain't nothing normal these days about being a churchgoer]

[ 10. May 2011, 18:36: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Edited to remove the word 'normal', ain't nothing normal these days about being a churchgoer
Testify!

Zach

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ender's Shadow posts:
quote:
Nice try, IngoB, but you are wrong in assuming that bishops as essential is the traditional doctrine of the CofE - rather it is a belief which the Oxford Movement discovered; the history of the CofE before the 19th century has it in close contact with Protestant churches of Europe, in no way doubting their validity. ... In the light of this position B is entirely logical, and a B / D coalition perfectly acceptable, as long as the traditionalist integrity is respected.
I fear that there was doubting of the validity of their orders which is a very major way-- normally, Lutheran or Calvinist immigrant clerics collated to CoE parishes in the post-Reformation period were ordained by Anglican bishops before they could officiate. Generally, exceptions were cases where the cure of souls was not involved, and benefices were used to provide pensions for refugee clerics who hung out at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have seen William Moreton's papers where, as Bishop of Kildare, he had arranged to have two Huguenot clerics ordained as deacons and then priests on the same weekend but not on the same day, as that would have been indecent. Often clergy who served foreign congregations in London were ordained by the Bishop of London, at least until the Napoleonic wars.

RC clerics who found their way into the CoE were not (re)ordained, but simply collated or instituted, as the case might be.

There is, in any case, a strong tradition among Caroline divines that episcopacy was of the esse, not simply the bene esse, of the church (that is, essential rather than helpful).

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:

How much of that attrition is traditionalists with reasoned and learned theological stances, and how much of that is other people with very little theological training just plain fed up with all the arguing?

[Edited to remove the word 'normal', ain't nothing normal these days about being a churchgoer]

Goodness, Spiffy - that's a very good question. I don't really have much of a feel for that.

It is sometimes said that Islam spread through N. Africa so rapidly because people were so disenchanted with the acrimonious debates within Christianity. I'm not sure I completely believe it but it must have played a part. And my own experience of people who have left the CofE is restricted to those who went Romewards. None of them left because of the OoWP issue but because of a collapse in confidence that we could teach anything much authoritatively. They are pretty theologically astute people, albeit untrained.

I suppose if I were to put those things together it would point more towards concern about our processes (and the consequences) rather than individual issues, though the issues may be triggers I guess. I'm a bit reluctant to try to generalise that, as I know that some people do indeed have problems with individual issues, and my experience will not be typical of other parts of the CofE such as the evangelical wing.

That's not much of an answer to your question I'm afraid.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
What's also really interesting is this point in Ender's Shadow's post:

quote:
Don't expect ANY tolerance from Evangelicals over priests in gay relationship - the words 'we are a broad church' have been redefined to mean 'we are a church requiring conformity to what we regard as of major importance'.
IOW, "truth" really has little consequence in any of these discussions; it's all political hardball and "alliances" against enemies.

And of course the people actually involved are inconsequential as well. Well, we knew that already; thanks for clarifying, though.....

I can just imagine that argument from the leaders of the church of Pergamum.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I fear that there was doubting of the validity of their orders which is a very major way-- normally, Lutheran or Calvinist immigrant clerics collated to CoE parishes in the post-Reformation period were ordained by Anglican bishops before they could officiate. Generally, exceptions were cases where the cure of souls was not involved, and benefices were used to provide pensions for refugee clerics who hung out at Oxford or Cambridge.

I have seen William Moreton's papers where, as Bishop of Kildare, he had arranged to have two Huguenot clerics ordained as deacons and then priests on the same weekend but not on the same day, as that would have been indecent. Often clergy who served foreign congregations in London were ordained by the Bishop of London, at least until the Napoleonic wars.

RC clerics who found their way into the CoE were not (re)ordained, but simply collated or instituted, as the case might be.

There is, in any case, a strong tradition among Caroline divines that episcopacy was of the esse, not simply the bene esse, of the church (that is, essential rather than helpful).

Interesting argument; I suspect it's valid to argue that the bishop of Kildare is more responding to canon law than necessarily reflecting the theology of CofE as such. The argument about what the Caroline divines did or didn't believe is beyond me, but of course all divines of the Commonwealth were people of the CofE before the civil war. And it's certainly the case that Evangelicals have never been in the slightest interested in bishops as such. But surely the adoption of the Porvoo agreement does establish the CofE's rejection of the theology...

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canon law is an expression of theology, and he was but one of many bishops who laid apostolic hands on continental clerics (the attitude does not seem to have been reciprocal-- I know of no instance where a continental reformed church reordained Anglican clerics). I only pulled him out as an example as Anglican churches clearly did not unreservedly acknowledge the validity of European Protestant churches after the Reformation.

However, you have a strong point about Porvoo-- the only Anglican I know prepping for the Ordinariate told me that Porvoo was the seal on the end of catholicity in Anglicanism. Oddly enough, non-Porvoo Lutheran clerics, such as the new Dean of Québec, are ordained as if they were laymen, where if they had come to Canada from a neighbouring Lutheran Church (I think he was Estonian or Latvian), he would have been cheerfully licensed and led up to the nearest chalice. Theological and sacramental consistency has never been a strong point of Canadian bishops. The successor of SS Fiacc and Conleth had fewer doubts when he led his Huguenots into S Brigid's Cathedral.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Edited to remove the word 'normal', ain't nothing normal these days about being a churchgoer
Testify!

Zach

"He was a really nice guy. He went to church and everything."

[Do not click through unless you've got a strong stomach]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
quote:
Testify!

Zach

"He was a really nice guy. He went to church and everything."

I said 'normal', as in conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

Didn't say anything about 'nice', which from my experience in the world, is NOT the standard, usual, regular, or natural way of humans.

[ 10. May 2011, 21:51: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
I have a great deal of trouble seeing how those who cry "Tolerance" and advocate women bishops do not also advocate a safe place for those who cannot in good conscience accept the ministry of women bishops.

I am not a fan of the current Archbishop of Canterbury. But, to his credit, he has advocated such a safe place. That the rest of the C of E is slow to follow his lead in this matter and may instead go in the opposite direction is sad indeed.

The OP asked if the Church of England will be less tolerant. It will not be. So far, those not wanting the ministry of women bishops have had their way. Those wanting the ministry of bishops have not gotten what they want. Now, they will. Even if those who opposed the ministry of women bishops had women bishops forced upon them, the church would not be less tolerant. The Church of England would maintain the same level of intolerance just directed at the other side.

Compromising on the issue wouldn't make the Church of England any more or less tolerant than it has been either. One side doesn't want a church with women bishops. The other side does. The side that doesn't want them says how about this, "You can have your women bishops. We will just pretend they don't exist." So, in a way, the Church of England becomes more tolerant of women priests because it allows them to become bishops. However, women bishops will not be equal to male bishops because a large segment is pretending they don't exist. Still, the office of bishop is such that the very existence of women bishops will still affect those who don't believe women should be bishops simply because they remain in a church that allows women bishops. Thus, the level of tolerance versus intolerance will remain unchanged no matter what ecclesiastical contortions the Church of England decides to perform.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
However, you have a strong point about Porvoo-- the only Anglican I know prepping for the Ordinariate told me that Porvoo was the seal on the end of catholicity in Anglicanism. Oddly enough, non-Porvoo Lutheran clerics, such as the new Dean of Québec, are ordained as if they were laymen, where if they had come to Canada from a neighbouring Lutheran Church (I think he was Estonian or Latvian), he would have been cheerfully licensed and led up to the nearest chalice. Theological and sacramental consistency has never been a strong point of Canadian bishops.

My understanding is that the Porvoo Lutheran churches have either preserved the apostolic succession (at least as High Anglicans understand the term), or have regained it (I have some vague recollection that the Church of Norway sent off to the Church of England for a valid bishop), whereas the non-Porvoo churches haven't. Therefore no inconsistency.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
My understanding is that the Porvoo Lutheran churches have either preserved the apostolic succession (at least as High Anglicans understand the term), or have regained it (I have some vague recollection that the Church of Norway sent off to the Church of England for a valid bishop), whereas the non-Porvoo churches haven't. Therefore no inconsistency.

I would be interested to know.

I think the whole thing was rather rushed through Synod. John Hunwickes Take

However for Enders to suggest that Porvoo defines Anglican theology is a bit like claiming that ARCIC statements define Anglican theology.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

Nice point about ARCICC Edward, but the reality is that we have no other measure of a church's theology but its practice, when that is specifically endorsed by a vote in synod. Certainly the hardline apostolic succession idea, which rejects all churches without it as wholly invalid, collapsed with the general popularity of the ecumenical movement.

quote:
quote:
However, you have a strong point about Porvoo-- the only Anglican I know prepping for the Ordinariate told me that Porvoo was the seal on the end of catholicity in Anglicanism. Oddly enough, non-Porvoo Lutheran clerics, such as the new Dean of Québec, are ordained as if they were laymen, where if they had come to Canada from a neighbouring Lutheran Church (I think he was Estonian or Latvian), he would have been cheerfully licensed and led up to the nearest chalice. Theological and sacramental consistency has never been a strong point of Canadian bishops.

Nope - the evidence of the ordination of the Dean of Quebec and the statements in Porvoo I quoted clearly indicates that some of the churches had not maintained an episcopally mediated apostolic succession.

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I agree. For most of the laity this is such a non-issue.

I represent my church on Deanery Synod. Our Diocesan Synod has asked the Deanery synods to 'consider' the proposals at our next meetings. So we'll have to go through the dreary arguments yet again. My Deanery Synod would really, really like this tedious item off our agenda.

My PCC doesn't even understand why people are still arguing. In their view, once the C of E had accepted women as ordained ministers accepting them as bishops was a foregone conclusion.

Like it or lump it, guys.

A few clergy will probably leave, and their departure will make the church more tolerant on average. But the numbers are so small the difference probably wouldn't register on any measuring instrument.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nope - the evidence of the ordination of the Dean of Quebec and the statements in Porvoo I quoted clearly indicates that some of the churches had not maintained an episcopally mediated apostolic succession.

Clear isn't a word I'd use to describe any aspect of Porvoo ...

From the website of the Church of Norway:
quote:
Without neglecting the legitimacy of the ordained ministry and the episcopal character of Church of Norway in the past, the Porvoo agreement (signed 1996) initiates that Anglican bishops “normally” participate in the consecrations of bishops in the Church of Norway. According to the decisions of the Synod, the Church of Norway finds the emphasis on the ministry of oversight and the sign of mutual participations in consecrations of bishops to be important signs of our visible unity. Nevertheless, they are not regarded as conditions for unity, consequently not a hindrance for church fellowship with Lutheran churches without the so-called episcopal succession, nor with the Reformed churches in Europe.
As far as I can tell, the Anglican delegation at Porvoo regarded tactile succession as essential. Lutheran half not only didn't regard it as essential, but would be offended at attempts to "reconsecrate" their bishops to bring them back into the apostolic fold because it would imply they weren't already legitimate. However, they were prepared to accept that tactile succession conferred an additional, though unnecessary, sign of apostolic unity.

Porvoo therefore maintained a compromise position whereby Norwegian bishops would be consecrated with Anglicans "helping". The Anglicans could then imagine they were introducing tactile succession to Norway and making their bishops valid, while the Lutherans could imagine they were valid all along but the Anglican presence was strengthening the sign.

In terms of "This is a great big fudge", I think the comparison to ARCIC is very perinent ...

... The point is, though, that from a High Anglican perspective Church of Norway bishops are now in the apostolic succession, even if they weren't beforehand, so the situation in Québec was not inconsistent.

[ 11. May 2011, 10:34: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

PS: the quote from the Church of Norway's website is taken from here.

--------------------

CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Canon law is an expression of theology, and he was but one of many bishops who laid apostolic hands on continental clerics (the attitude does not seem to have been reciprocal-- I know of no instance where a continental reformed church reordained Anglican clerics). I only pulled him out as an example as Anglican churches clearly did not unreservedly acknowledge the validity of European Protestant churches after the Reformation.

However, you have a strong point about Porvoo-- the only Anglican I know prepping for the Ordinariate told me that Porvoo was the seal on the end of catholicity in Anglicanism. Oddly enough, non-Porvoo Lutheran clerics, such as the new Dean of Québec, are ordained as if they were laymen, where if they had come to Canada from a neighbouring Lutheran Church (I think he was Estonian or Latvian), he would have been cheerfully licensed and led up to the nearest chalice. Theological and sacramental consistency has never been a strong point of Canadian bishops. The successor of SS Fiacc and Conleth had fewer doubts when he led his Huguenots into S Brigid's Cathedral.

Why Porvoo and not the Anglican-German Bishopric in Jerusalem?

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
My understanding is that the Porvoo Lutheran churches have either preserved the apostolic succession (at least as High Anglicans understand the term), or have regained it (I have some vague recollection that the Church of Norway sent off to the Church of England for a valid bishop)
That will be news to the Danes.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My understanding of the Lutheran traditional position on Apostolic succession is it was the same for individual denominations as circumcision was for St Paul. If you had it you should not seek to lose it, if you didn't you should not seek to gain.

Actually technically that is also the Reformed Church due to the Hungarian situation. I have long favoured that if Anglican's insist we will go that way to to gaining apostolic succession at least because it stops us having to have it regained if we eventually merge with Rome.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

The Deanof Québec had nothing to do with the Norwegian church. I fear that I can't quite remember the situation, whether he was Latvian or Estonian. However, the two churches had maintained the same succession but one was in Porvoo and the other wasn't, so he was received as a layman and ordained both deacon and priest. His orders were likely more solid in the sense of historic succession as Anglicans understand it than those of the clergy being licensed through our own concordat with the local Lutherans.

As far as the Anglo-German bishopric is concerned, I gather that it has not been in operation for a century and a half and can not be said to be a current issue. My Ordinariate-bound interlocutor believes Porvoo to be a greater issue than OWP but neither have a lot to do with his decision, which is over the general issue of authority.

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

quote:
Nice point about ARCICC Edward, but the reality is that we have no other measure of a church's theology but its practice, when that is specifically endorsed by a vote in synod. Certainly the hardline apostolic succession idea, which rejects all churches without it as wholly invalid, collapsed with the general popularity of the ecumenical movement.

In a sense I agree with you because I have stated that I feel sacramental theology is on the defensive in the Church of England. Making our best Theologians (Evangelical and Catholic and Liberal) Bishop's and Archbishops can have the effect of dulling their brilliance, influence and vision for the Church.

My understanding of the CofE is both primitive and prophetic. The Reformers and the Carolines sought a return to the primitive Church, as did Wesley (who in 1774 wrote "During the twelve festival days we had the Lord's Supper daily, a little emblem of the primitive Church") and the Apostolicals of the Oxford Movement. The prophetic nature of the church is more complex but can be seen in terms of liturgy and depending on your point of view on women's orders.

So this creates a tension that cannot be explained in mechanical terms. It is possible to believe in Apostolic succession in a primitive sense whilst recognising that God works freely outside those boundaries as the Spirit wills.

When a 'New Church' pastor uses an intentional form at a Communion and teaches that 'this is more than a memorial' (and there are a few who hold this view) then I am not willing to make absolute judgements as to the essence of that act. But I would still encourage her to seek ordination within the Apostolic succession - to seek a greater fullness and authenticity.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
My understanding of the Lutheran traditional position on Apostolic succession is it was the same for individual denominations as circumcision was for St Paul. If you had it you should not seek to lose it, if you didn't you should not seek to gain.

Actually technically that is also the Reformed Church due to the Hungarian situation. I have long favoured that if Anglican's insist we will go that way to to gaining apostolic succession at least because it stops us having to have it regained if we eventually merge with Rome.

Jengie

What about an invitation to the Moderator and Bishops of the Churches of North and South India?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Green:
quote:

I would be interested to know.

I think the whole thing was rather rushed through Synod. John Hunwickes Take

However for Enders to suggest that Porvoo defines Anglican theology is a bit like claiming that ARCIC statements define Anglican theology.

I reluctantly agree with Fr. Hunwicke - I often do.

I had to work this out for myself when we became an LEP with Lutheran ministers - not under Porvoo but from Meissen.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In "Called to Common Mission" the covenant that established full communion between TEC and the ELCA, the following two paragraphs are key:

16. To enable the full communion that is coming into being by means of this Concordat, The Episcopal Church pledges to continue the process for enacting a temporary suspension, in this case only, of the seventeenth-century restriction that "no persons are allowed to exercise the offices of bishop, priest, or deacon in this Church unless they are so ordained, or have already received such ordination with the laying-on-of-hands by bishops who are themselves duly qualified to confer Holy Orders" ("Preface to the Ordination Rites," The Book of Common Prayer, p. 510). The purpose of this action, to declare this restriction inapplicable to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, will be to permit the full interchangeability and reciprocity of all its pastors as priests or presbyters within The Episcopal Church, without any further ordination or re-ordination or supplemental ordination whatsoever, subject always to canonically or constitutionally approved invitation. The purpose of temporarily suspending this restriction, which has been a constant requirement in Anglican polity since the Ordinal of 1662, is precisely in order to secure the future implementation of the ordinals' same principle in the sharing of ordained ministries. It is for this reason that The Episcopal Church can feel confident in taking this unprecedented step with regard to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

19. In order to receive the historic episcopate, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America pledges that, following the adoption of this Concordat and in keeping with the collegiality and continuity of ordained ministry attested as early as Canon 4 of the First Ecumenical Council (Nicaea I, a.d. 325), at least three bishops already sharing in the sign of the episcopal succession will be invited to participate in the installation of its next Presiding Bishop through prayer for the gift of the Holy Spirit and with the laying-on-of-hands. These participating bishops will be invited from churches of the Lutheran communion which share in the historic episcopate. In addition, a bishop or bishops will be invited from The Episcopal Church to participate in the same way as a symbol of the full communion now shared. Synodical bishops elected and awaiting installation may be similarly installed at the same service, if they wish. Further, all other installations of bishops in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will be through prayer for the gift of the Holy Spirit and with the laying-on-of-hands by other bishops, at least three of whom are to be in the historic succession (see paragraph 12 above). Its liturgical rites will reflect these provisions.

So for the ELCA full communion was established immediately and for TEC the "temporary suspension" of the ordinal allows full communion to begin now and to be complete when all active bishops have been incorporated into the historic episcopate.

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016