homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
Verse 1:
Jesus said to his disciples
Wash those weary toes!
Do it in a cheerful fashion,
never hold your nose!'

Chorus:
The world is full of smelly feet
Weary from the dusty street
We'll was them for each other.

A gem from Michael Forster, printed in 'The Catholic Supplement to "Hymns, Songs and Chants"'.

Please tell me that this revolting, tasteless text is a spoof! I have heard many a horrid hymn in my day, but this is the only one I recall which nearly made me vomit.

Incidentally - my comments on 'All that I Am' hold. The offertory at Holy Communion has nothing to do with our thanking God for our personal gifts.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

It must be a spoof.

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
richt
Shipmate
# 4679

- Posted      Profile for richt   Email richt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
Incidentally - my comments on 'All that I Am' hold. The offertory at Holy Communion has nothing to do with our thanking God for our personal gifts.

Whilst this is correct, I still find nothing wrong with the words of the hymn itself. Though singing it during the offertory as we did this weekend does add to the general confusion of that time, as technically bringing big plates of money up to the alter has nothing to do with the preparation for Holy Communion either. If you're in with the "seeing as we're offering up our cash, we might as well offer up our personal gifts" camp then it's fine. [Smile]

However, beating "Daily, Daily sing to Mary", I've found a new candidate for my least favorite piece of music heard at a service.

At an Evangelical Youth Service, I heard the following. Having looked it up now, it appears to be a song by Donna Summer. I'm not sure if all the lyrics were sung as in the original, as I started fuming after the chorus. However, this is the section I definately remember them singing:

"We know a place
where Gods's people can run free
a new kind of love
and we call it agape

Don't take too long to find
true love transcends all time
that non-reacting, everlasting love

Give me your unconditional love
the kind of love I deserve
the kind I want to return"

[Mad]

[ 14. September 2003, 20:03: Message edited by: richt ]

Posts: 121 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Verse 1:
Wash those weary toes!
never hold your nose!
...'

Please tell me that this revolting, tasteless text is a spoof!
It does appear to be a bona fide hymn, or at least several editors believe so. According to Hymn Quest (TM) it appears in three published collections, including the Complete Anglican Hymns Old and New (but not the Catholic HO&N, oddly enough).

Robin

Posts: 263 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plenty of people, including me, have said this before, and it will get said again and again and again.

But it happened in church yesterday, so I'm flagging it up right now.

Just wtf is it with songs that basically say: "I want to have sex with Jesus"?

[Confused] [Projectile] [Disappointed]

shudder

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

dorothea
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Examples please.

J

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Innuendo?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Plenty of people, including me, have said this before, and it will get said again and again and again.

But it happened in church yesterday, so I'm flagging it up right now.

Just wtf is it with songs that basically say: "I want to have sex with Jesus"?

[Confused] [Projectile] [Disappointed]

shudder

One interpetation of The Song of Songs which used to be common was that Christ was the Bridegroom and the believer (of either sex) was the Bride - and we all know what brides and bridegrooms do, don't we?

Sometimes very explicitly sexual imagery was common in earlier centuries and I imagine it still goes on today.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verse 1:
Wash those weary toes!
never hold your nose!'

Chorus:
Weary from the dusty street
We'll was them for each other.

A gem from Michael Forster, printed in 'The Catholic Supplement to "Hymns, Songs and Chants"'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me that this revolting, tasteless text is a spoof! I have heard many a horrid hymn in my day, but this is the only one I recall which nearly made me vomit.

I assure you it is no spoof [Frown] [Ultra confused] but it is in the children's section of the hymnal, not that that's an excuse. The final verse is devoted to Jesus himself and ends with the exhortation 'Smart or scruffy, we'll still love him / wash his smelly feet!'

Another gem by the same author (and printed in the same book):

'The voice from the bush said
"Moses, look snappy,
Have I got a job for you!
I've looked around
and I'm not very happy
Here is what you have to do".'

Chorus: 'Lead my people to freedom (x3)
Got to go to the promised land.'

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Roll Eyes] Having just read Huntress's post...

If this is what liturgical music has come to (and I thought the 60s were bad..), I am very glad that I have access to churches that did not go with such trends... otherwise, I'd be a Buddhist by now...

Incidentally (and this is not a new hymn - I cannot remember where I heard it once), I remember shuddering at "There is a Fountain filled with Blood."

Flounder
Shipmate
# 3859

- Posted      Profile for Flounder   Email Flounder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Earlier this year, I dragged myself to a local deanery meeting (never again!!), which featured ways to musically "add" to worship.

Riiiiiiiiiight. [brick wall] [Disappointed]

God help us if this is all we have to look forward to.

quote:
[Roll Eyes] Having just read Huntress's post...

If this is what liturgical music has come to (and I thought the 60s were bad..), I am very glad that I have access to churches that did not go with such trends... otherwise, I'd be a Buddhist by now...

Incidentally (and this is not a new hymn - I cannot remember where I heard it once), I remember shuddering at "There is a Fountain filled with Blood."

Posts: 1082 | From: Flounderland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And who remembers this piece of nonsense from my Post-Vatican II RC childhood??? [Big Grin]

"Rain, Lord, O RAIN , Lord! Rain, Master Jesus, Rain! Rain Your Spirit in my heart, Rain, Master Jesus Rain!"

"I looked at my hands and they looked like new, Rain, Master Jesus Rain, I think I'll give them back to You! Rain, Master Jesus Rain!!!"

More nonsense. etc etc

[Projectile]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
By your side, I would lay
In your arms, I would lay
Jesus lover of my soul
Nothing from you I withold.

We were then asked to close our eyes and "really just imagine this: lying with Jesus, lying in his arms"

[Eek!] [Projectile]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Thou dids't leave thy throne" has the (to my disgraceful mind) rather dodgy line

quote:
thy couch was the sod
so it isn't only modern songs that that can raise sniggers. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about 'My Jesus, my lifeline'?

I need you more than I've ever known
There's no-one quite like you
I'm crying out for your loving
Oh Jesus, oh Jesus
I've never known a love like this before

Or 'This is the air I breathe'

And I, I'm desperate for you

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CaroB

Ship's whistler
# 4942

- Posted      Profile for CaroB   Email CaroB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about "He brought me to his banqueting table" which has one verse that goes "I am my beloved's and he is mine"...
I actually quite like that one but I do get where everyone's coming from with this whole 'Jesus as lover' thing. I don't mind the songs per se but I do mind the way they make me feel that there's something wrong with my relationship with God just because I'm not sure I can sing the words truthfully. Maybe this is just my neuroticism speaking but I've heard similar complaints from other people. Hmmmmmm [Disappointed]

CaroB

Posts: 357 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I'm very familiar with many mystic writings (and naturally the scriptures) which use erotic imagery, but what I find so hilarious about the "I want to have sex with Jesus" imagery today is that those using it in their compositions seem not to see the erotic implications at all.

Years ago, I once worked with three friars on a summer programme for little children. One of the friars taught the little ones (3-4 years old) to sing "I am my beloved's and he is mine..." song, complete with gestures (totally innocent, of course.) Neither he nor they realised that the essence of the text was about having sex in a wine cellar.

One nun I knew (...these were odd times...) wanted to have "Only You" (remember? 'you're my dream come true, my one and only you') at a profession ceremony, though the idea fortunately was vetoed. Another asked for, and was given permission to use, "I Know I'll Never Find Another You," with the modification of "if I should lose your love, Lord" instead of 'dear.'

I, of course, was joking when I said I'd use the obscure "I'll Build a Stairway to Heaven" (Neil Sedaka). Then again, had I known what was ahead, "Every day, in every way, you're going to drive me out of my mind" might have seemed appropriate.

[Snigger]
I'll build a stairway to heaven,
I'll climb to the highest star,
I'll build a stairway to heaven,
For heaven is where You are!

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is it about the footwashing? One Maundy Thursday my fellow choir members and I were subjected to a piece that went something like this:

Jesus took a towel and he girded himself, and he washed my feet, yes, he washed my feet.

Jesus took a basin and he knelt himself down and he washed, yes, he washed my feet.

This might not have been so bad had it not been interspersed with bits of spoken "prose-poetry" such as the following:

"You kneel before me and I ask, 'Lord, do you wash my feet? Lord, do you wash my feet?'

"You kneel before me and I say, 'Lord, you'll never wash my feet."

Jesus took a towel, etc.

The spoken verses were doled out one per choir member, with the whole group taking the chorus. The woman who got the previously mentioned gem had a particularly strong New York accent, so that it came out more like, "Lo-awd, do you worsh my feett? Lo-awd, do you worsh my feett?" Thank the Lord, I've never heard the thing since.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

Newman's Own wrote:

quote:
I'm very familiar with many mystic writings (and naturally the scriptures) which use erotic imagery, but what I find so hilarious about the "I want to have sex with Jesus" imagery today is that those using it in their compositions seem not to see the erotic implications at all.

Totally hillarious!! It's as if these people both writers and those who promote this type of stuff have undergone an irony bypass. Quite a number of times, I've accidently turned up at 'praise' service - to find myself grinning my head off in the songs, not because I am enraputured but because I'm ******* my sides.
J

J

--------------------

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dorothea:
Totally hillarious!! It's as if these people both writers and those who promote this type of stuff have undergone an irony bypass. Quite a number of times, I've accidently turned up at 'praise' service - to find myself grinning my head off in the songs, not because I am enraputured but because I'm ******* my sides.
J

Bible translators too. From the NIV -

At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. Matt 25:1-5

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

Indeed. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

As an aside, Anna certainly has a point! Though I cannot recall all of them offhand, there did seem to be a boring, low quality bunch of songs (and - not that it deserves the term - religious meditations, writings or poetry) which seemed to display a foot washing fetish.

Then again, from some of what I read (either in Purgatory or MW) in the past, some churches seem to be obsessed with this across the board. There were descriptions of entire congregations being invited to come forth and have their feet washed.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Pax Britannica
Shipmate
# 1876

- Posted      Profile for Pax Britannica   Email Pax Britannica       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One of the friars taught the little ones (3-4 years old) to sing "I am my beloved's and he is mine..." song, complete with gestures (totally innocent, of course.)

Of such things do defence lawyers make fortunes in our wiser and sadder days...

But the words are from the Song of Songs, whose erotic poetry is given hilariously laconic annotations in our K. James Bible (as Nicolson notes in his new book) by its lead translator, a Cambridge puritan. Thus:

A bundle of myrrhe is my welbeloued vnto me. He shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. Behold, thou art faire, my loue...
The Church and Christ congratulate each other.

Thy two breasts are like two yong Roes...which feed among the lillies.
Christ setteth forth the graces of the Church.

Thy lips, O my spouse! drop as the hony combe: hony and milke are vnder thy tongue, and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.
Christ sheweth his loue to the Church.

&c&c&c

[ 20. September 2003, 17:36: Message edited by: Pax Britannica ]

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never could abide

It's ME, it's ME, it's ME, oh Lord,
Standing in the need of prayer,
Standing in the need of prayer.

Not my brother, not my sister, but it's ME, oh Lord,
Not my brother, not my sister, but it's ME, oh Lord,
Standing in the need of prayer!

This is what passes for intercessions these days?? [Mad]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

One blessing for which I'll offer thanks at Evening Prayer is that I was not subjected to the intercessory prayer Anna mentioned... horrid.

I doubt anyone could get the impact of the forthcoming horror, but it was a dumb tune sung in a round.

Love, love, love, love,
Christians this
Is your call
Love your neighbour as yourself
For God loves all.

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

Don't get me started on rounds sung in church, Newman's Own! That is truly a subject deserving a thread of its very own. There are a couple of dreadful examples in the ECUSA hymnal, one of them being:

God is working His purpose out as year succeeds to year,
God is working his purpose out, and the time is drawing near;
Nearer and nearer draws the time, the time that shall surely be,
When the earth shall be filled with the glory of God as the waters cover the sea.

The words aren't so bad, but the tune is a real mess, and no one, but NO one, can sing it correctly as a round:

God is working His GOD IS WORKING HIS PURPOSE OUT... from which point everything degenerates.

[ 27. September 2003, 19:48: Message edited by: Anna B ]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
I never could abide

Standing in the need of prayer.

<snip>
This is what passes for intercessions these days?? [Mad]

It's certainly not these days!

I remember singing this as a child - and that's at least over 45 years ago!

And I didn't like it then either!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

- Posted      Profile for Robin   Author's homepage   Email Robin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
God is working His purpose out .

The words aren't so bad, but the tune is a real mess, and no one, but NO one, can sing it correctly as a round:

I take it you're not singing it to the EH tune Benson (so so la do1.do1 te:-.la so etc)? If you are, I can see there might be a problem. I agree it doesn't make much sense to sing anything with a reasonably complex and non-repetitive text as a round. However, I confess to having a soft spot for Seek ye first, at least in certain moods. (If you don't know it, it's a two-part round where each part spends half its time singing Alleluia).

Robin

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

I'll vouch for that one, Robin! It does fit in well on Easter morning (though I always have to stifle a temptation to sway back and forth while singing it).

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

I apologize for double-posting. Has anyone else had to sit through the questionable practice of rehearsing liturgical music with the congregation right before the service? This has always struck me as tiresome, especially since it inevitably interferes with one's private devotions. I was reminded of this because the use of rounds and canons seems to present an overwhelming temptation to "rehearse."

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I apologize for double-posting. Has anyone else had to sit through the questionable practice of rehearsing liturgical music with the congregation right before the service?

I've seen it done a few times. It only made me feel cross when the song was rubbish!

After all, if you want to sit it out you can.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Punkijellybean:

Anyone know what the line "I tried the broken cisterns, Lord, but oh, the waters failed", is about? I kid you not. The hymn starts "O Christ in thee my soul have found....the peace, the joy", etc, etc. A good start, but downhill thereon after.

Seems like we now have cyclist hymns, and plumbers'anthems. Any other vocational specials??

Hi, could anyone possibly locate a source for this hymn or Pm me with it?

Apparently there is going to be a blessing of some toilets (???)and a certain Eminent Ecclesiastical person is looking for material...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
quote:
Originally posted by Punkijellybean:

Anyone know what the line "I tried the broken cisterns, Lord, but oh, the waters failed", is about?

Hi, could anyone possibly locate a source for this hymn or Pm me with it?

Have PM'ed the complete hymn, from Sacred Songs and Solos, as requested. The verse with the cisterns goes

I tried the broken cisterns, Lord,
But ah! the waters failed!
Even as I stooped to drink they fled
And mocked me as I wailed.

c.f. Jeremiah 2:13
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

And with that I think I'm finally about to become a shipmate!

Robin

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thank you sweetie and congratulations!

Anyone with any other ideas for hymns suitable for blessing toilets, feel free...

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

"Before thy throne, O God, we kneel"?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Anyone with any other ideas for hymns suitable for blessing toilets, feel free...

Sudden memories of childhood Sunday school....

See the pennies dropping,
Listen as they fall...

Sorry folks! [Snigger] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

I think "Let my people go" has real potential here you know...
Robin
Shipmate
# 71

quote:

A pleasure.

John Newton is also concerned with the problem of broken cisterns:

Though dark be my way,
since he is my guide,
'tis mine to obey,
'tis his to provide;
though cisterns be broken
and creatures all fail,
the word he has spoken
shall surely prevail.

And someone called Alan Luff confirms the toddler's worst fear (when the cistern is working all too well):

Primaeval waters roar
And rob us of our breath
To drown in depths of our despair
And drag us down to death

Robin

[ 01. October 2003, 09:08: Message edited by: Robin ]

Faithful Sheepdog
Shipmate
# 2305

- Posted      Profile for Faithful Sheepdog   Email Faithful Sheepdog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, the bible reading to go with all these sanitary anthems is Proverbs 5: 15-18 (ESV)

15 Drink water from your own cistern,
flowing water from your own well.
16 Should your springs be scattered abroad,
streams of water in the streets?
17 Let them be for yourself alone,
and not for strangers with you.
18 Let your fountain be blessed,
and rejoice in the wife of your youth,
19 a lovely deer, a graceful doe.

At which point the reading enters Song of Songs territory and needs to be censored for the young, the faint of heart, and all delicate souls of a nervous disposition.

Neil

--------------------
"Random mutation/natural selection works great in folks’ imaginations, but it’s a bust in the real world." ~ Michael J. Behe

Posts: 1097 | From: Scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Faithful Sheepdog - I was going to offer you the usual hostly welcome when I noticed your membership number and realised you'd actually been around for quite a while (18 months!) without posting. Where have you been hiding?

But I'll welcome you anyway on the occasion of your first post. I guess you know by now where all the facilities are - especially things like the Ship's 10 Commandments and the guidelines to each Board.

Have fun - and don't wait so long between posts or it'll be 74 years before you get promoted to shipmate!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

Anna wrote that she has known the hymn (see below) sung in the round to a dreadful tune. At the place of worship I attend, this hymn is set to a lovely tune and is never sung in the round. The version I know has several verses and is actually one of my favourites. [Razz]

quote:
God is working His purpose out as year succeeds to year,
God is working his purpose out, and the time is drawing near;
Nearer and nearer draws the time, the time that shall surely be,
When the earth shall be filled with the glory of God as the waters cover the sea.

J

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"God is working his purpose out, and the time is drawing near;
Nearer and nearer draws the time, the time that shall surely be,"

:shudder: Is this from the Christina "Snow was falling, snow on snow / snow snow snow snow snow" Rosetti school of padding out a verse?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

Ah, but despite the padding 'When the Waters Cover the Sea' actually scans with the tune, unlike some other worship songs I've attempted to sing along to. And of course, the idea of the waters covering the sea when the sea is made of water anyway does seem very silly (unless there is a biblical reference here which being an ignoramous I would surely miss) but...err.. I really do like singing this one. [Razz]

J

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

I have no notion of who composed this dreary song (in fact, for all I know it may have been some nun of my acquaintance), but it was popular at religious professions during my younger days. I am not certain I remember the words exactly, but, in any case, the horrible melody (some phrases sounded as if they were sighs) is what 'made' the dreadful effect.

Take my hands and make them as your own,
And use them for your kingdom here on e-e-e-earth.
Consecrate them to your care
Anoint them for your service where
You may need your gospel to be sown.

Take my hands, they speak now for my heart
And by their actions make them show your love.
Open them to human need
So by your love they'll sow your seed,
That all may serve the Trinity above.

Take my hands, I give them to you, Lord,
Guard them on their daily course
Be their strength and guiding source
That all may know the love and hope you gave.

It ended with a swooping:
Take my hands!
Take my ha-a-a-nds,
O Lord.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Robin
Shipmate
# 71

Just to show that, while this discussion may be a dead horse, the phenomenon of Crappy Choruses is alive and well, here is a small gem from the latest edition of Stainer & Bell's Worship Live:

Simon was a rebel
Jesus loved him still
and replaced his dagger
with a daffodil

Moreover, subscribers are invited to submit a suitable tune to match the verse (to be fair, there are six verses, and some are better than the one I've quoted).

Robin

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great God Dyfrig:
Is this from the Christina "Snow was falling, snow on snow / snow snow snow snow snow" Rosetti school of padding out a verse?

I bought the complete works of Christina Rossetti last weekend.

But I haven't managed to read any as my daughter pinched the book.

I like "snow on snow on snow". It's cool. And it's metaphorical. And its well set by Holst (IIRC). Most metaphorical - the long deep winter-time of the soul, geddit?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

Robin wrote:

quote:
Simon was a rebel
Jesus loved him still
and replaced his dagger
with a daffodil

now that is a crappy chorus! Maybe I could compose chud all day and give up the day job?

Ken,
I love in the Deep Mid-winter too. It's a classic!

J

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopefully by the time ken gets the book back, he will realise what a dreadful, sentimental, drawn out stream of drivel Rosetti wrote.

Come back Felicia Hemans, all is forgiven.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(crusading)

hands out jump ropes and sings Alan Ginsberg rhyme

"I fought the dharma, and the dharma won."

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

I'm told by my literary correspondence that Rosetti wrote a poem about lesbianism. Is this true?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016