homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Ophelia's Opera Therapist
Shipmate
# 4081

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Author's homepage   Email Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, the above mentioned 'So you would come' line is alway followed by the chorus which starts 'Come to the Father...'. Maybe Cartwheel could imagine there was just a comma in between.

Scrolling up back to 'Life without Jesus is like a doughnut', am I the only one who remembers a second verse which went:

quote:
Life without Jesus is like soda without the bubbles,
Soda without the bubbles, Soda without the bubbles
Life without Jesus is like soda without the bubbles
Life tastes flat and full of troubles

Though it doesn't scan very well - you have to sing 'sodawithoutthebubbles'.

OOT

--------------------
Though the bleak sky is burdened I'll pray anyway,
And though irony's drained me I'll now try sincere,
And whoever it was that brought me here
Will have to take me home.
Martyn Joseph

Posts: 979 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to a few of the early Soul Survivors in the mid -late 1990s. Along with 'When the music fades' - which has to be a sort of unintentional spiritual version of a Barry White song - we also frequently sang the unfortunately titled It's Rising Up, also by Matt Redman.

Yes, we also sang 'More than Oxygen'.

I remember attending a seminar given by Kevin Prosch amongst others (how I enjoyed his music, and his improvisation). On being questioned on whether women should lead worship he responded correctly, but in a rather unfortunate way:

quote:
"When a woman comes on stage, you know it's going to be a good night"
[Hot and Hormonal]

OK, OK. I appreciate that I probably had a terribly smutty mind in those days. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Strange, isn't it? We demand life imprisonment for murderers; we ponder about the death penalty for Saddam; yet, curiously, Matt Redman is allowed to walk free. Why is this?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
Strange, isn't it? We demand life imprisonment for murderers; we ponder about the death penalty for Saddam; yet, curiously, Matt Redman is allowed to walk free. Why is this?

Because Tim & Pete "Easy Chords" Hughes are right behind him...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll admit the urge to jump to Matt Redman's defence here. [Ultra confused]

My experience of church music at that point fell into two categories. Bear in mind that at the time I was a member of a large Anglican charismatic church.

1) Hymns Ancient and Crusty
2) Pseudo Hymns Masquerading as Contemporary Music. (ie, Graham Kendrick).

Neither option provided music that a Christian teen could feel proud of 'in the world'.

So when Matt Redman and his Magic Band burst onto the scene they seemed exciting and new.. a new paradigm of Christian music.

What's more, because Matt Redman's songs are relatively unsophisticated it was easy to transplant them from Soul Survivor to the local congregation.

Now, ten years on I'll not be found singing anything but hymns in church because I find the tunes and the words more helpful. As a result I've even begun to appreciate Graham Kendrick although it's been about two years since I actually sung any of his songe in church. But I admit that at the time Matt Redman served his purpose.

--------------------
M Barnier

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey:
Matt Redman ... seemed exciting and new.. a

[Killing me]

quote:
because Matt Redman's songs are relatively unsophisticated it was easy to transplant them from Soul Survivor to the local congregation.
You've hit on something very important here - that contemporary congregations are somehow too stupid or unsophisticated to sing anything more complex than a Graham Kendrick song.

Any congregation is capable of singing four part harmonies (just get the Wild Goose people in for a Big Sing and you'll see what I mean). We deserve better than anodyne, poppy crap which appeals only to the banal sensibilities of middle aged clergy who think they can fill pews by forcing people to sing second-rate imitations of tenth rate genres. We are meant to worshipping Almighty God, not drowning in drivel.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst twiddling the radio dial this morning I hit upon Premier Christian Radio just as it was in the middle of playing a song of the most breathtaking banality that I thought of this thread straight away [Big Grin]

It’s by some guy called Chris Rice, is called "Cartoons" (I kid you not), and was all about how different cartoon characters would praise God. I was already shaking my head in disbelief as he sang "Yabbadabbadooyah!" and "Scoobydoobydooyah!", but I honestly thought I’d fallen into a parallel universe when he started singing (with cartoon voices):

[Scooby Doo voice] Hrarerooyah!
[Kermit the Frog voice] Hilolooyah!
[Elmer Fudd voice] Hawewooyah!

I have to confess I couldn’t speak for some minutes after hearing this. Even now, several hours later, words still utterly, utterly fail me.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen Dyfrig. Amen.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely, dyfrig.

Jack the Lass, I was so stunned I googled it. Here are apparently the full lyrics to that, that thing Jack heard on the radio.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just a little bit worried that the song seems to imply that Beavis and Butthead are beyond redemption.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
I love this thread, and I'm laughing aloud about the double entendre, so I hope no one will mind my posting two examples of 'old but bad' Christmas hymns that have no double meaning...........

See amidst the winter's snow,
Born to us on earth below,
See the tender lamb appears
Promised from eternal years.

Ah - I'm afraid this one does have a double meaning, for me anyway. The children's writer Antonia Forest has a character in one of her books say that lines 3 and 4 of this verse always remind her of school dinners. And having once read that, I'm now unable to see this verse without that mental image!

Boopy

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not just Beavis and Butthead, dyfrig---there's no mention of South Park! And did I miss Wile E. Coyote? 'Judge not!'

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

- Posted      Profile for Sheriff Pony   Email Sheriff Pony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartwheel:
Can I submit the following as the most embarrassing double entendre EVER in a worship song. As far as I remember, it goes

"Before the world began
You were on his mind
And everything you've done
Is precious in His eyes
Because of his great love
He sent his only Son:
Everything was done so you would come."

and so on for another 2 verses, all with the same last line.

If I ever get married, I want that song at my wedding! [Devil]

Now I feel free to admit that my horribly dirty mind will not allow me to sing the hymn "Just As I Am."

Oh, Lamb of God, I . . .

. . . I need to sing something else! [Ultra confused]

Glad to learn that I'm not alone. Curse this fallen world.

Posts: 382 | From: Space! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You've hit on something very important here - that contemporary congregations are somehow too stupid or unsophisticated to sing anything more complex than a Graham Kendrick song.

You're obviously a decent singer. Many Graham Kendrick songs are actually quite hard for lots of not-very-good singers to sing. Not only do they sometimes have more range than most of us plebs can manage, but he has an irritating habit of ending with really odd cadences that give most of us no idea what note we should be singing even if we could hit it.

And I can't play the chords without looking them up in the back of the book.

Messrs Redman and Hughes are mostly quite a lot easier.

--------------------
Ken

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

No, ken, I'm not a decent singer at all- but with a little help I found myself capable of participating in simple but affective four part harmonies.

The problem with the Kendricks and the Redmans of this world is (apart from the sheer banality of most of their words) that they are expecting congregations to participate in singing songs that are written in a style and idiom suited to individual performance, namely bland mid-tempo rock-pop. They do not actually understands, it seems to me, what a congregational piece is about.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
No, ken, I'm not a decent singer at all- but with a little help I found myself capable of participating in simple but affective four part harmonies.

You're better than 95% of our congregation then!

quote:

The problem with the Kendricks and the Redmans of this world is (apart from the sheer banality of most of their words) that they are expecting congregations to participate in singing songs that are written in a style and idiom suited to individual performance,

To be fair, I'm not sure they are expecting that at all, though I suppose they don't mind the royalties. Kendrick can and does write singable things (except for those bloody awful harmonies on the final bar, whiuch he seems addicted to).

Not sure about Redman, but his apparent successor (Redman is already dated for the teenage worship-song-fans, there is a lot of fashion in this) Pete Hughes writes singably, as does (when he wants to) Stuart Townend.

I would go so far as to say that Kendrick and Townend sometimes even write hymns. One or two of which will survive.

But they also write other sorts of songs that aren't intended to be congregational hymns at all. Perhaps the real culprits are the people who choose inappropriate songs for churches, not those who write them.

--------------------
Ken

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good point, ken. Unfortunately some churches feel the pressure to include such songs for congregational worship as they see these are the ones used in 'successful' churches. If that is the only reason, I can't see it working. (However the popularity of 'Shine Jesus Shine' is that it is more in hymn format and possible to sing as a congregation.)

A choir would not expect the congregation to sing an anthem; neither should the soloist or worship band expect the congregation to join in the more complicated modern worship songs. There is a time to occasionally sit back and listen, whatever your preferred worship style.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
There is a time to occasionally sit back and listen, whatever your preferred worship style.

Yes. It's called a concert.

--------------------
Ken

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
There is a time to occasionally sit back and listen, whatever your preferred worship style.

Yes. It's called a concert.
Ken, I said 'occasionally' - if I went to a concert that only had 1 item I'd want my money back! [Roll Eyes]

A one-hour service should have room for one anthem, or one organ voluntary or one solo, surely?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

And one Matt Redman song?????

--------------------
Ken

Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

- Posted      Profile for Sheriff Pony   Email Sheriff Pony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But they also write other sorts of songs that aren't intended to be congregational hymns at all. Perhaps the real culprits are the people who choose inappropriate songs for churches, not those who write them.

One of our worship teams recently decided to introduce "Word of God, Speak" into our Sunday Morning repertoire. Um, yeah it's a current pop hit by an extremely popular band, but it is not the sort of thing congregations should attempt to sing in unison. I am pleased to report that it was terribly awkward, and it may be awhile before it's attempted again--if ever. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If we're all going to hell in a handbasket, can't we at least have a nicer handbasket?

Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(However the popularity of 'Shine Jesus Shine' is that it is more in hymn format and possible to sing as a congregation.)

Have you ever hear that song played on an organ? I have and it is an experience I regret having and, at the time, would have rather listened to a poorly-tuned symphony than the joke comming out of the pipes of the organ.
Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Regarding hearing SJS on the organ: I have, but I agree that in order to be played well it has to be done by somebody in sympathy with that type of music (a former organist, who lived permanently in the 1970s and who bounced up and down on the organ stool, could play almost anything and get away with it!)
If we ever have to sing it now (thankfully only about twice a year) it is played on the grand piano - rather well, I might say, to the Bill Llewellyn (RSCM) arrangement, with optional coda and descant.

The hymn society of Great Britain (which I mentioned on the earlier reincarnation of this thread) exists to encourage good modern hymn writing. One of their articles took 'Shine Jesus Shine' to bits and critically analysed why it was a poor example (ie. claiming to be accessible but the words meaning as little to the unchurched as some of the more obscure victorian hymns). They have a website where you can get details about their written bulletins.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I enjoy this thread every day, I am reluctant to post this "song" as I fear it will sound the death knell for this thread! Why? Because I doubt anyone can find anything worse than it.

Setting the scene: our Church Retreat in the Hunter Valley last November [yes, there was "testing of spirits" ;-), and in fact a Bible study needed to be put back to the next day as we [incl. priest] arrived late from said testing!] and I was asked to lead the Morning Prayer office. The Gospel reading was on blind Bartimaeus and I needed to choose a hymn for the service [the only reason it has taken me two months to post this is that I kept forgetting to bring the Hynm Book home!!!] Luckily, for a person new to leading as me, Together in Song has a list of suitable hymns for certain passages.

Well, the song does mention blind Bartimaeus. But it is not what I would call a good song.

Are you ready?

quote:

There once was a man as mean as could be;
if he could take two then he'd try to take three.
Then one day he took Jesus for tea:
and Jesus helped him to change.

Well, Jesus helps meanies and goodies and baddies,
Jesus helps lazies and happies and saddies,
Jesus helps lonelies and mums, kids and daddies,
and Jesus wants us to help too.

Blind Bartimaeus, as all will agree,
was wise to keep shouting as loud as could be,
"O please, son of David, have mercy on me!"
Jesus opened his eyes.
(remainder removed ... see below)
Words and Music © Digby Hannah (1949-)

Needless to say, I didn't select it, but went for a hymn I knew that was similar to the Psalm for the Day. I did, of course, show it to my priest the day before and said this was what I wanted as it truly got to the heart of the story. [Two face] He was not amused. [Big Grin]

Ian.

[Post edited by TonyK to reduce quotation of copyright material - see my post below]

[ 11. January 2004, 11:49: Message edited by: TonyK ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Admiral Holder - copyright law prevents us from displaying complete hymns, songs, poems etc unless they were written more than 70 years ago. This clearly cannot be the case here.

I have therefore chopped out much of what you so carefully typed in (sorry) while leaving enough (I hope) to give a flavour.

If you wish shipmates to see the complete work, then find a link to a website that has the whole text - copyright considerations are then theirs and not ours!

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host - Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I thought I'd heard it all! You are quite correct, Admiral - that is absolutely the worst - even worse than the doughnuts. This thread is a delight to me, but, though I thought that no one who had survived the 1960s and 1970s could hear anything worse than what was then, I am constantly amazed at how dreadful things have become since.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newman's Own: I am glad it gave you a good laugh - you have provided me with so many [Killing me] moments on this thread, I am glad I could give one back!

Tony: my sincerest apologies: I thought if I provided the copyright information it would be alright. Thanks for taking the necessary action, and I believe even just the chorus would reveal the sheer horror of it! My apologies again.

Ian.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Scarily, though, all the crappy choruses and horrible hymns of the 60s and 70s are what people are requesting us to sing at their weddings now, because the couple remember them from their school and sunday-school days and get all nostalgic. I suspect in many cases they are the only Christian songs and hymns they know, as well. Maybe church choirmasters and organists ought to attend these bridal fayres and play a selection of alternatives to show them what other music is available!

--------------------

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
<snip>
Not sure about Redman, but his apparent successor (Redman is already dated for the teenage worship-song-fans, there is a lot of fashion in this) Pete Hughes writes singably, as does (when he wants to) Stuart Townend.

I would go so far as to say that Kendrick and Townend sometimes even write hymns. One or two of which will survive.

Pendatic point: Tim Hughes, not Pete Hughes. Pete is his preacher brother.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CaroB

Ship's whistler
# 4942

- Posted      Profile for CaroB   Email CaroB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
Pendatic point: Tim Hughes, not Pete Hughes. Pete is his preacher brother.

Bit of a tangent, but is Pete younger?
Is he an ordained minister or just a 'freelance' preacher, as it were?

Sorry about that, back to the discussion...

Posts: 357 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Sauerkraut:
quote:
(However the popularity of 'Shine Jesus Shine' is that it is more in hymn format and possible to sing as a congregation.)

Have you ever hear that song played on an organ?
Often. Often. Often.

As there is a move foot to use Songs of Fellowship as our church hymnbook, this sort of thing seems likely to get more common.

--------------------
Ken

Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Often. Often. Often.

As there is a move foot to use Songs of Fellowship as our church hymnbook, this sort of thing seems likely to get more common.

You poor soul.

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Scarily, though, all the crappy choruses and horrible hymns of the 60s and 70s are what people are requesting us to sing at their weddings now, because the couple remember them from their school and sunday-school days and get all nostalgic. I suspect in many cases they are the only Christian songs and hymns they know, as well. Maybe church choirmasters and organists ought to attend these bridal fayres and play a selection of alternatives to show them what other music is available!

As a good Vicar's Daughter™ I used to be called on to play the tunes on our piano for non-churchy wedding couples. By careful process of elimination, the top hymns that most couples knew at least five of were

Praise My Soul, The King of Heaven
The Lord's My Shepherd
Anything to Slane (Lord of all Hopefulness/Be thou my vision)
O Jesus I have promised (new tune) [Roll Eyes]
Crimond
Love Divine (because they'd sang it at other weddings, usually to Blaenwern)
Colours of Day [Projectile]
Bind us together [Mad]
Amazing Grace

Hardly a startling choice and reflecting a nasty dependence on 'Come and Praise' at the local Schools.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Morning has Broken, All things Bright and Beautiful, Lord of the Dance, Cross over the Road, as well, Ferijen?

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Cross Over the Road.' Wasn't that the one with the alt words about a squished doggie? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Often. Often. Often.

You poor soul.
If its the complete songs of fellowship (there's now a 3rd volume out which I haven't got yet) it could be a lot worse. But then it will always come down to who picks the songs.

My home church had Songs of Fellowship 1 & 2 (and an OHP for extras). Unfortunately we were one of only about two churches in the circuit who had this and a band, so all the local preachers took the opportunity to pick their favourite songs. Which usually meant "Come on and Celebrate", "Shine Jesus Shine" and "I am a new Creation."

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... and as for 'Bind Us Together,' some might consider it to be an entirely appropriate choice for a wedding. [Two face]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:
If its the complete songs of fellowship (there's now a 3rd volume out which I haven't got yet) it could be a lot worse. But then it will always come down to who picks the songs.

The trouble is that, unlike Mission Praise which we already use, Songs of Fellowship has a very poor selection of the 18th & 19th century hymns. Which we like singing at our church. (Though I sometimes wonder if our new vicar does)

quote:

My home church had Songs of Fellowship 1 & 2 (and an OHP for extras). Unfortunately we were one of only about two churches in the circuit who had this and a band, so all the local preachers took the opportunity to pick their favourite songs. Which usually meant "Come on and Celebrate", "Shine Jesus Shine" and "I am a new Creation."

I actually quite like "Shine Jesus Shine". Sorry. Though the implied 1980s-style restorationism gets irritating.

"I am a new Creation" is sort of jolly and perhaps suitable for occasinal use.

"Come on and Celebrate" is a tedious dirge which is only ever sung by bored "worship teams" making futile attempts to recover the thrills of their teenage years.

Karaoke church. [Projectile]

--------------------
Ken

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

I can accept that some people do in fact like Shine Jesus Shine.

However, "I am a new creation"??? Maybe its because it brings back memeories of school christian union hearing it played on a yamaha keyboard (one of those with half sized keys and a hundred, count them, one hundred voices and rythmns) with an automatic backing track provided.

<shudder>

So glad they invented YFriday up our way. Raised the standard through the whole region.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

At Christmas time, our worship team did a sort of variant on "O Come All Ye Faithful." Nice enough Christmas hymn. What bugged me was that the worship team ignored the verses and simply repeated the chorus . . . adding New Words!

So it went like this:

quote:

O come let us adore him,
O come let us adore him,
O come let us adore him,
Chri-ist the Lord.

And then it continued:

quote:

For he alone is worthy,
For he alone is worthy,
For he alone is worthy,
Chri-ist the Lord.

We'll give him all the glory,
Chri-ist the Lord.

There may have been a couple more choruses of New Words, too. But was there any compelling reason to leave out all the verses of a marvelous old hymn and turn it into Yet Another Repetative Praise Chorus? I suppose the argument is that the repetition and simple language allow us to enter in to worship better. Lame. I don't want my classics frelled with.

--------------------
If we're all going to hell in a handbasket, can't we at least have a nicer handbasket?

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those words are not 'new' Sherrif Pony - I recall singing that version in a church about 20 years ago. I try to think of it as a different song, rather than ruining an old one, then it sems much better (to me anyway).

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Those words are not 'new' Sherrif Pony - I recall singing that version in a church about 20 years ago.

Well, in the grand scheme of things, that's last week! [Big Grin]

Ah, I'm just a curmudgeon. The hymn without the verses and reduced to a praise chorus seemed just trite and forced.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:

Any congregation is capable of singing four part harmonies (just get the Wild Goose people in for a Big Sing and you'll see what I mean). We deserve better than anodyne, poppy crap which appeals only to the banal sensibilities of middle aged clergy who think they can fill pews by forcing people to sing second-rate imitations of tenth rate genres. We are meant to worshipping Almighty God, not drowning in drivel. [/QB]

I think I'm with Ken on this one although I agree that if you are able to get in appropriately trained people as you describe congregations can sing much better than many might suppose.
However, you need to bear in mind the type of churches that use Redmondesque songs. It's all about emotion, eeeemotion, people in those churches, leastways the ones I experienced, are more interested in a nice easy tune that allows them to sing whilst freeing as much of their mental capacity up to express eeeeeeemotion. They ain't interested in rounds, descants and all that stuff, to put it bluntly.

--------------------
M Barnier

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"I am a new Creation" is sort of jolly and perhaps suitable for occasinal use.

Someone who was being baptized at the same service as me chose this hymn. I hadn't heard it before and thought it was jolly marvellous - though I haven't heard it sung in church since, either!

It was quite a contrast to "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus", which I chose.

Pax,
ar

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff Pony:
Lame. I don't want my classics frelled with.

Me neither, Sheriff Pony. I was at a service the other week when the organist launched into "Onward Christian Soldiers." Half the congregation started singing the words they knew, and the other half started singing the words as printed in the service sheet. And it sounded very peculiar, as hymns are wont to do when half the congregation are belting out "Onward Christian Soldiers, marching as to war," and the other half are limping through "Onward Christian Pilgrims, Christ will be our light; see, the heav'nly vision breaks upon our sight!" and other variations on a deeply feeble theme.

And, frankly, I'm outraged at the reason Kevin Mayhew gave for butchering this and some other well-loved classics - basically, because some people have used metaphors of spiritual warfare as an excuse to start wars in the name of Christianity, the rest of us obviously can't be trusted not to go out and thump someone after singing "Onward Christian Soldiers." [Roll Eyes]

However, I know the font Hymns Old and New was printed in, and I shall commit my first (and hopefully only) act of vandalism on a book - I shall print out the proper words and stick them over the top. [Snigger]

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apart from it must verge on sacrilege to tamper with such a classic as Adeste Fideles, I have a strong sense that writing new words to hymns is highly illegal (at least, if they are under copyright.) Somehow, even though I loathe hymns that are on 'war' and 'soldier' themes, I think it is odd to tamper with those that are well-known.

During the 1960s & 70s, some groups (especially university locations and 'youth culture' sub-parishes) seemed to make a hobby of composing their own lyrics - usually not for well-known hymns, but for popular songs. Thus altered, the songs became 'suitable for worship' (at least in the eyes of the 'lyricist.') Invariably (and nuns were notorious for this, I might add) the entire result was that a decent or quite good popular song was ruined by being transformed into a parody of itself.

I still recall when a Sister-friend of mine slaughtered Bob Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind," with verses such as "How many times must their blood be shed, before they know that it's Mine?" The refrain was: "The answer, my friend, is in the hearts of men, the answer is living in all men." (I'll not even expound on what horrid theology that is.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
Apart from it must verge on sacrilege to tamper with such a classic as Adeste Fideles, I have a strong sense that writing new words to hymns is highly illegal (at least, if they are under copyright.) Somehow, even though I loathe hymns that are on 'war' and 'soldier' themes, I think it is odd to tamper with those that are well-known.

"Onward..." is out of copyright, and the publishers commissioned entirely new words to the same tune, which, I suppose, they are perfectly entitled to do. And, it being their hymnbook, Kevin Mayhew Ltd are entitled to put whatever they please in it. But if the words of such classics as "Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus" and "God is Our Strength From Days of Old" offend their delicate sensibilities, why not just leave them out?

I shall buy a copy of Hymns Ancient And Modern - bet they don't have any truck with such nonsense...

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They explain their reasoning in the introduction. The problem was that the tunes were such damned good ones, they felt it was an opportunity to commission new words to be written for them, reminiscient of the original hymns.

So "Onward Christian Soldiers" are not the "real" words - they are the words of the hymn usually attached to that tune. "Onward Christian Pilgrim" is offered as an alternative to keep the tune alive. Nothing stops you using the old words.

Dyfrig - missed your wonderful December comment on Matt Redman. Nearly made me fall of me chair!

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Eeeemotin, eh? Well, what puzzles me most is that the places that use choruses often preach stuff like, "There were three cats walking along a wall: the one at the front was called Facts, the one in the middle was called Faith, and the one at the back was called Feelings. So long as Faith kept looking at Facts* he was safe, but as soon as he turned around and looked at Feelings, he fell off the wall."

* or, presumably, Facts's arse.

And no, I'm not making that one up.

There's plenty of spine tingling emotion about when you're listening to a Welsh chapel singing its heart out in four part harmonies, or when you hear the descant in the final verse of "O Come All Ye Faithful".

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dyfrig - stobbit! I'm pissing meself!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016