homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
Eeeemotin, eh? Well, what puzzles me most is that the places that use choruses often preach stuff like, "There were three cats walking along a wall: the one at the front was called Facts, the one in the middle was called Faith, and the one at the back was called Feelings. So long as Faith kept looking at Facts* he was safe, but as soon as he turned around and looked at Feelings, he fell off the wall."

* or, presumably, Facts's arse.

And no, I'm not making that one up.

I've heard this also. In my opinion the reason why that sort of stuff gets said in such churches is precisely because of the attempt to eeeeemotionalise the worship.. it's an attempt at counterbalance.

But yeah - 'Facts' isn't necessarily the 'bottom line' in such churches.

quote:

There's plenty of spine tingling emotion about when you're listening to a Welsh chapel singing its heart out in four part harmonies, or when you hear the descant in the final verse of "O Come All Ye Faithful".

Indeed there is for those of us who have been fortunate enough to get a lot of singing practise in. For others, just trying to sing the bloomin' harmony is a pain in the arse and a distraction from their 'spiritual time' or whatever such a thing is called this month.

(could a kindly host unbold my post? I can't seem to be able to do so)
[always willing to oblige, Sir George - though whether or not you consider it 'kindly' is up to you!
Edited to fix unwanted 'bolding']

[ 23. January 2004, 12:01: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being a newbie round here, I haven't had the time to read all umpteen pages of this thread, but....

They didn't all qualify for the title of 'Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns', but does anyone still use any of the items from 'Psalm Praise', a collection of new(ish) metrical versions of psalms and canticles published (if I remember rightly) in the mid-1970s? One or two have become classics (e.g. 'Tell out, my soul' for the Magnificat), and there were a few others which I recall fondly - 'Faithful vigil ended' for the Nunc Dimittis and a version of Psalm 121 ('I lift my eyes to the quiet hills') with a most beautiful and haunting tune.

Ring any bells?

Ian.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is 'Faithful vigil ended' the one about

"Master, grant your servant
His discharge in peace"

Sorry, can't imagine singing that without smirking.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Gill! Yes, that's the one.....and now I won't be able to sing it without smirking either!

Ian.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
...I have a strong sense that writing new words to hymns is highly illegal (at least, if they are under copyright.) ...

IANAL, and IANA copyright L in particular. But I do hang out with people who're up on intellectual property issues.

Writing new words is not illegal in US or Canada. Freedom of expression protects that. Now, what you do after that can get you into a variety of issues. Publishing those words (and publishing is a rather wide term in law) generally requires permission. Singing them is a non-issue -- provided you have appropriate public performance licenses for the tune. Getting other people to sing them is likely to involve publishing, again, a tricky item.

So, Newman's Own, you're quite correct that they were in violation of rights all over the place. But it wasn't the writing that was (in law) a crime.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gill H wrote:
quote:
"Master, grant your servant
His discharge in peace"

With the help of a ministering angel and a course of anitobiotics?

J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
... and as for 'Bind Us Together,' some might consider it to be an entirely appropriate choice for a wedding. [Two face]

As is Graham Kendrick's (I think) 'Jesus Stand Among Us'

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
... and as for 'Bind Us Together,' some might consider it to be an entirely appropriate choice for a wedding. [Two face]

Oh dear I like that one (Jesus stand among us) so what have I missed? - why is it so awful and in particular unsuitable for a wedding?

Jesus stand among us
at the meeting of our lives
be the sweet agreement
at the meeting of our eyes

Oh Jesus we love you
and so we gather here
Join our hearts in unity
and take away our fear

(I won't quote verse 2 in case I get accused of copyright infringement)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishop Joe
Shipmate
# 527

- Posted      Profile for Bishop Joe   Email Bishop Joe       Edit/delete post 
" [Roll Eyes]

Lord, You Give the Great Commission."

I know a lot of people love it, but it's guaranteed to lower my diastolic to an unsafe level and induce hypoglycemia.

Usually used as the closing hymn wherever I've worshiped, too.

We need a Smilie that's holding its nose.

Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:

However, "I am a new creation"???

I am a new creation
No more in condemnation.
Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

In a similar vein to:

Give thanks with a greatful heart.
Go West, life is peaceful there.

[ 05. February 2004, 03:29: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:

Oh dear I like that one (Jesus stand among us) so what have I missed? - why is it so awful and in particular unsuitable for a wedding?

Jesus stand among us
at the meeting of our lives
be the sweet agreement
at the meeting of our eyes

Oh Jesus we love you
and so we gather here
Join our hearts in unity
and take away our fear

(I won't quote verse 2 in case I get accused of copyright infringement)

Simple enough. It's awful because of the very high [Projectile] factor.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got into conversation with A Certain Well Known writer of rather hymn-like choruses recently.

I asked him about the way that choruses are written.

He said that usually it is the musicians in the worship teams who write the choruses. They come up with a tune and they take some words from scripture or put some words together to go with it.

I think that could explain a lot.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather like Frs Ted and Dougals' method for composing 'My Lovely Horse' then.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For all I know, the priest (40 years ago) whom I knew who got a group of children to record some 'special songs for children' may have composed them himself, but one (which I mercifully never heard elsewhere) sticks in my mind. There were various verses, all repetitive as with the first, and the tune was dreadful.

Poor Mary stood weeping, weeping, weeping,
Poor Mary stood weeping, on a dark weary day.

Oh, Mary, what are you weeping for? (etc.)

I'm weeping for my Jesus (etc.)

What happened to your Jesus? (etc.)

They crucified my Jesus.

What happened to his body?

They put it in a grave.

It ended with,
Till he rises on Easter morning, Easter morning, Easter morning,
Till he rises on Easter morning, on a bright, sunny day.

One wonders how Mary had known that on Good Friday.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds very like a playground song I vaguely remember 'Poor Jenny is a-weeping'. One of those 'join hands and walk round' type songs. I suspect someone just Christianised the words.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Padingtun Bear.

Bear of Very Little Brain
# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
[QB] I am a new creation
No more in condemnation.

Hooray, another reason to persuade our minister not to use it [Big Grin]

[/tangent]

I notice there have been a few previous comments on 'indefinable' theology. Can anyone explain:

Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise.
The city of our God, the holy place...

Any connection at all?
And apologies if this has come up already (do censure me)

...and in his presence,
our problems disappear.

They what!?
[Song first line: Jesus, we celebrate your victory. Which I don't object to per se as it's worth doing, but I would rather choose my own expression of celebration, thankyou.]

[/tangent over]

--------------------
Shameless publicity for a great new book:
A voice from the fringe

Posts: 961 | From: South Oxfordshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
That sounds very like a playground song I vaguely remember 'Poor Jenny is a-weeping'. One of those 'join hands and walk round' type songs. I suspect someone just Christianised the words.

That's what I thought.

In fact I might even remember it sung with "Mary" in it.

For all I know it might be the last gasp of some piece of mediaeval mummery. Where are Iona and Peter Opie when you need them?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erina
Apprentice
# 5306

- Posted      Profile for Erina   Email Erina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Padingtun Bear:
Can anyone explain:

Any connection at all?

Well, I've never heard that song, but if those are the first two lines, it sounds suspiciously like a slightly messed-up version of Psalm 48, verse 1:
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, in the city of our God, His holy mountain.

Posts: 34 | From: Mr. Jefferson's University | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

That's what I thought.

In fact I might even remember it sung with "Mary" in it.

For all I know it might be the last gasp of some piece of mediaeval mummery. Where are Iona and Peter Opie when you need them?

Ken it seems you are right from this link (mind you, like you I would find the references more authentic if they were from Iona and Peter Opie!)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Paddington :
quote:
Can anyone explain:

Any connection at all?

We always sang "In the City....etc" I didn't know that the "In" wasn't there until I looked it up in my CCAHHR songbook. It is, I believe, as Erina suggested, a paraphrase of Psalm 48.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The inexcusable "in His presence our problems disappear" bullshit has been discussed before.

As for the "Great is the Lord.... The city of our God..." shite, why should you expect any connection between individual charismatic clichés strung together to a tune that makes Radiohead sound cheerful?

--------------------

phudfan
Shipmate
# 4740

- Posted      Profile for phudfan   Email phudfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sheriff Pony said
quote:
When the music fades
and all is stripped away
and I simply come,
longing just to bring
something that's of worth
that will bless Your heart.[1]

I'll bring You more than a song
for a song in itself
is not what You have required.[2]
You search much deeper within
through the way things appear[3]
You're looking into my heart.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You.
It's all about You, Jesus.
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it,[4]
when it's all about You,
it's all about You, Jesus.

---------
[1] First thing that gets me is the idea that I'm going to "bless Jesus' heart." It's theologically questionable, and it's overly precious. So I'm already cringing from the start.

[2] "For a song in itself is not what you have required"? Huh? The phrasing is awkward enough, but the song is already running in circles at this point. (Which, now that I think about it, may be fitting for some forms of worship.)

[3] I'm chewing aluminum foil when we hit "You search much deeper within through the way things appear." At this point I find myself thinking "What am I singing about anyway? 'Things'?" Some precise writing please!

[4] And then we hit "the thing I've made it." Once again, we're singing about a "thing" followed by the pronoun "it," which always has me searching for an antecedent. I'm lost and confused by this point, having no idea what the subject matter of this song is.

The song seems to be a worship song about singing worship songs, with Jesus as a passive receiver of "blessing." So, in a sense, it's not so much about praise to our God than it is about navel-gazing on the part of the singer. While I would agree that self-reflection is a necessary part of coming before God, in this case it doesn't quite work for me.

This got me so hot under the collar when I read it that thought I should address the points raised.

First of all - a bit of background. The song was written by Matt Readman during the time when he was leading worship at Soul Survivor, Watford. The singing of worship songs during services had become more important than the God the worship songs were aimed at - they had become an idol - and the church eventually decided to not sing any songs at all for a while. Matt Readman wrote the song during that time, and then the church began to sing it as they worked through the issues they had.

Now, point 1: I believe we can bless God's heart - our prayers are like sweet smelling incense. If you don't like the lyric and find it precious - thats a matter of taste.

Point 2: The line "I'll bring You more than a song
for a song in itself
is not what You have required" relates directly to the situation I described above. This situation is a common one in many Charismatic churches - people unwittingly let the singing become an idol. The line is saying "I am bringing you my worship Lord, not just a song, because its my worship you require, not pretty sounds"

Point 3:"You search much deeper within through the way things appear." Again, this line is referring to the situation described above. Worship isn't about how things look or sound, its about the attitude of our hearts, which is what God looks at.

Point 4: "I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it,
when it's all about You,
it's all about You, Jesus." This is the whole point of the song, to say sorry for letting worship songs become an idol.

This song was written for a specific situation. Other churches have picked it up and used it because it has spoken directly into similar situations of their own. It has helped a lot of people come into a deeper understanding of worship, and it has certainly helped me come into a deeper realtionship with God.

I would suggest that if a worship song makes you leave a time of corporate worship - you may need to deal with an idol or two of your own! [Biased]

--------------------
"It's funny how, things work out, when you're lonely and your life is full of doubt"

Posts: 365 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Paddington :
quote:
Can anyone explain:

Any connection at all?

We always sang "In the City....etc" I didn't know that the "In" wasn't there until I looked it up in my CCAHHR songbook. It is, I believe, as Erina suggested, a paraphrase of Psalm 48.
It's from a psalm (can't remember which number). Opening verse says that God is great. Next verses says that Jerusalem is a strong and holy city, the joy of the whole earth. Said chorus doesn't quite capture the point of the psalm, which is to laud Jerusalem as the place where God lives. Chorus then veers away into some non-psalmic stuff that reminds God that we want to worship him and thank him. Which is nice.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Padingtun Bear.

# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks very much for all the references to Psalm 48. Have now added in the offending/missing 'In' to the OHP, so that we make at least some sense on a Sunday morning.

Ta all, P.B.

--------------------
A voice from the fringe

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Thanks, Padingtun - that never occurred to me.

Another classic 'don't bother engaging brain before singing' moment used to be 'When I look into your holiness'. This contained the lines:

"When I've found the joy of reaching your heart
When my will becomes enthroned in your love"

Someone once asked me what on earth the second line means. If 'enthroned' means 'put on the throne' then why would I want to put my will on the throne? (No Prince William jokes, please!)

Then we looked up a few books and discovered that the original lyric was 'enthralled'. Presumably not so much in the sense of 'thrilled' but in the literal sense of 'held captive'.

As for the 'and in His presence our problems disappear' debate, I've always understood this as 'when we fix our attention on God, we take our attention away from our problems so things can assume their proper perspective'. That doesn't scan so well, however. I've never been in the sort of church which assumes Christians don't have problems, so it's never grated on me. But I can understand that a 'living in victory' type church would make this line hard to stomach.

My church changed the line to 'our darkness disappears' which might be a bit better (but not much). And might cause you problems if you liked a certain band with a long-haired falsetto screamer. (Wanders off singing

"Great is the darkness, their singer is fab
I like their guitarist as well ..")

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Shipmate
# 76

The problem with that interpretation of That Line is it isn't any more true than the face value interpretation.

Nor, with respect, is your church's altered version.

Unfortunately "In His presence, our problems remain exactly the same" doesn't fit too well either. The obvious solution (one which has done me good service for some years) is not to sing the wretched thing at all. [Razz]

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In his presence, our problems seem so clear...less near...stay right here...
[Hot and Hormonal]

I don't think my gifting lies in the area of songwriting, (thank goodness). [Biased]

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Phudfan,

I see you points - valid they indeed are - however much of your defence hinges on the fact that the song you refer to was written for a specific time in a specific situation. It doesn't 'translate' well.

I sang that very song a number of times at Soul Survivor. Now I don't think so much of it, although I have great respect for Matt Redman himself.

Now I find traditional hymns more helpful as a way of worshipping God. Trad church music not only has a low 'cringe' value, but draws on the very best of a tradition stretching back hundreds of years. Hymn books contain hymns with the most poetic, theologically profound, and inspiring lyrics (although 'To Thine be the Glory' turns my stomach a bit). And until pretty recently they did 'translate' well.

I don't think I'm the only person who feels genuine sadness at this rich tradition having to be cast aside to keep up with society's chasing after the next tasteless fad. Redman is no substitute for Wesley.

--------------------
M Barnier

phudfan
Shipmate
# 4740

- Posted      Profile for phudfan   Email phudfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sir George - thanks for your comments. I enjoy and appreciate a lot of worship music, and that includes some old hymns as well as some very modern songs. I lead worship at church, and although we mainly sing modern worship songs, I often use older hymns as well - and they can be incredibly powerful. "When I survey" is one of my all time favourites - from any era.

My personal opinion is that there was some rubbish written in the past, just as there is some rubbish written now. There have also been some beauties written in the past, just as there are some wonderful songs written now. Often, I think, it comes down to personal taste and preference - if we like the tune, style etc.

I appreciate that the words of some songs can sometimes just be plain wrong/heretical - and if that is the case, then I'm not sure the song should be sung. Often though, even this isn't clear cut - as what one person finds heretical, another finds incredibly useful and powerful - for example "When the music fades".

The more different styles of worship, and worship song, the better, is what I say. I quite often choose to use songs that I don't really 'like' - because I know that they help other people to worship God. There are plenty of songs that I don't like - and some that I even think are a bit dubious - but I would never walk out of a service because we started singing one of them. For me, that is making worship an idol - which is what I was trying to say in my last post.

--------------------
"It's funny how, things work out, when you're lonely and your life is full of doubt"

chickpea
Apprentice
# 4554

- Posted      Profile for chickpea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The solution to the 'our problems disappear' line that I have heard is 'our purpose is made clear'. Not sure that my friends who are about to leave Uni and don't know what to do with their lives would appriciate it though!!

A song mentioned on the first page of this thread reminded me of the 'Psalty the Singing Songbook' tapes from my earlier years. Instead of opening Psalty to find a song (which might have been difficult, as he could talk and walk) the kids had to 'think happy thoughts about Jesus'..... Anybody else out there subjected to listening to these?!! (Think it warped my mind, cos I can still remember all the lyrics!!)

Posts: 8 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Hi Phudfan,

Well, music does have to communicate - be a channel, as it were, of worship and teaching - it does need to be relevant to the people on the 'end' of it. And this is the problem. Hymns, to most people are an anachronism. Which means that in reality they have to give way to the modern stuff.

I agree with you that plenty of tripe has been written down the years. I own a hymn book from 1870 and it's full of songs no trad church would sing now - songs full of the drippiest Victorian sentimentality, and a good dose of jingoistic imperialism.

The thing is that over the years the bad stuff has been weeded out. The good stuff remains. To me, the average hymn is a better work of art and worship. None of this is to argue that traditional forms of music aren't subject to the very same snares and pitfalls that choruses are. On Sunday I went to an excellent choral evensong, and the music - which was brilliant - did have a sense of idolatry about it!

We desparately need people to write new settings to some of those old hymns - and do them well. Sadly such people are few and far between.

(Another thought is that our society is a good deal less musical than it was one hundred years ago - people in general don't sing - which makes me wonder if congregational singing should be a part of a church service at all now).

--------------------
M Barnier

phudfan
Shipmate
# 4740

I agree with you Sir George when you say that the average Hymn is probably a better work of art than the average chorus, but I think the view that it is also a better form of worship is a bit more subjective (I hope I'm not misinterprteing you here).

I think people find it easier, and I'm generalising here, to worship through things that are contemporary to their culture. That is why I think a lot of people find it easier to worship using modern songs rather than the old hymns. I don't think this makes the modern songs better - just more effective in general. I realise this isn't always the case - people have different tastes after all.

I agree that there are a lot of older songs that, with a bit of imagination, could be a rich source of truth and light to this generation. I may try and take up that challenge myself (and probably fail miserably!)

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Chickpea, you're giving me Psalty flashbacks!

"Weeee're Melody and Harmony
and Harmony and Melody
And everything we say and do
Is sweet just like our songs"

"Roses are red, violets are blue
Until I met Psalty I was blue too"

(Someone tell me what Psaltina's accent is supposed to be, please!)

But the worst has to be the 'talky bit' in the middle of 'I love you Lord' (or 'Lerd' as they insist on singing).

"Lerd, once in the middle of a game my baseball got lost in the weeds. I looked all through those weeds. Then I prayed. And when I opened my eyes, there was my baseball right at my feet! I love you, Lerd."

Sorry, even for a fluffy charismatic like me, that one's hard to stomach.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
i avoided Psalty the singing Song Book until a youth event we put on a few months ago. For this we had to rig tent in our church which took seveal hours longer than we were expecting. To pass the time we put on some music. Unfortunately no one had brought any and there was only one tape in the church .......

<shudder>

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Satan's very own way of doing kids' work.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey:
Another thought is that our society is a good deal less musical than it was one hundred years ago

I don't know about a hundred years, but people of my generation - I'm in my 40s - are much more likely to be able to play an instrument or read music than people of my parent's generation. Rock and roll changed a lot! (As did folk, and punk, and the Atari computer, and cheap sampling & mixing software)

quote:
- people in general don't sing - which makes me wonder if congregational singing should be a part of a church service at all now).
People in general don't sing well, but I doubt if they ever have. That's not what congregational singing is about.

--------------------
Ken

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When a church I once attended was going to be on the wireless, it was taught to sing "And in his presence, there's power to persevere".

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:

Ken it seems you are right from this link (mind you, like you I would find the references more authentic if they were from Iona and Peter Opie!)

And lo, here are the Opies, or at least their views:

'It is extraordinary how partisan people can be over whether the heroine should be 'poor Jenny' or 'poor Mary', (especially if they are determined that she is 'really' Joanna of Castile). All we can say is that, as far as records go, the score stands at 55 for Poor Mary (23 pre ww1), 33 for Poor Jenny (five pre ww1) and 13 for Poor Sally (six pre ww1) with a few poor Ellens, Nellies and Sarahs. The tendency is for Londoners to sing about Jenny, while in the north and west of England, as also in Australia and Canada, 'Mary' is favoured."

I and P Opie, The Singing Game, Chapter 14.

They go on to say that the piece, whilst known in many versions collected late 19th century in the great round of folk-song collecting, is not known before 1880. So, not mediaeval Ken, but certainly very widely known. At my (Nottinghamshire) primary school in the 1970s it was Poor Mary.

Your friendly Opie resource is happy to help. [Big Grin]

(edited to fix Bold)
[Edited by me in an attempt to fix UBB - hope it's now right! TK]

[ 03. March 2004, 13:26: Message edited by: TonyK ]

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sheriff Pony
Shipmate
# 3911

- Posted      Profile for Sheriff Pony   Email Sheriff Pony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by phudfan:
This got me so hot under the collar . . .

One man's trash . . . [Biased]

--------------------
If we're all going to hell in a handbasket, can't we at least have a nicer handbasket?

Posts: 382 | From: Space! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by phudfan:
I agree with you Sir George when you say that the average Hymn is probably a better work of art than the average chorus, but I think the view that it is also a better form of worship is a bit more subjective (I hope I'm not misinterprteing you here).

Yeah - art 'in' worship would have been better. I was careless in my use of words. Apologies!

--------------------
M Barnier

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Ken,

Now if one wants music one can put on a CD. A hundred years ago one had to play a musical instrument or sing.

A couple of years back I went to a production of 'The Mikado' at the Savoy, no less. The singers, even there, really battled with the tunes and I suspect they were written in a time when really good singers were easier to come by.

And I do think that most people can sing if they have the confidence to.

Compare non-work pursuits (including church) and consider how many of those pursuits involve singing, and how many people are involved in those pursuits compared with forty years ago. What conclusion would you draw?

--------------------
M Barnier

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Compare non-work pursuits (including church) and consider how many of those pursuits involve singing, and how many people are involved in those pursuits compared with forty years ago. What conclusion would you draw?

Apart from church, what other non-work pursuits involving singing have gone out of fashion?

It was common, a cliche, for people of my age to be, or try to be "in a band" when we were in our teens and twenties. That was almost unknown in my parents generation, excpet for professional musicians.

My daughter's school has much, much, more performance on stage than mine did. And more of it is music and less of it is acting.

And no-one mention Karaoke.

--------------------
Ken

MusicMonkey
Shipmate
# 3396

- Posted      Profile for MusicMonkey   Email MusicMonkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I suspect they were written in a time when really good singers were easier to come by.

To say there were more "good singers" somewhere back in history is quite opinionated. The technique most modern professional singers use is very different to their counterparts a century ago because of the amplification available today. If everyone was taught to sing "properly" by fully using their diaphragm we wouldn't have the vast variety of singers we have today. What is probably most difficult for those singing some of the more traditional pieces is that a more advanced breathing technique is required than that of most modern popular music. Similarly, though, those who are accustomed to singing with the diaphragm all of the time find it difficult to sing with the more gentle style.
Posts: 142 | From: North East England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As far as choral singing is concerned, more good singers seem keen to join chamber choirs and choral societies than are willing to sing in church choirs. Which is a shame, because then you are restricting music which was composed to be sung in church as part of the liturgy to concert items. And asking people to pay £10 a head to come and listen to them as a concert, rather than to worship through them. If life weren't so busy, I'd like to see these concert singers choose to sing the same music in church choirs as well. Some church choirs seem only to have the choice of the poorer singers because the good singers are so busy singing elsewhere. (Not that I believe the poorer singers should be denied a place in the church choir - heavens, I'm one myself - but that their contribution would be enhanced and they would learn more with the full support of the good singers as well.) It does seem strange when you go to some churches and discover that the best singers are in the congregation!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
testbear
Shipmate
# 4602

- Posted      Profile for testbear     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:

However, "I am a new creation"???

I am a new creation
No more in condemnation.

In a similar vein to:

Give thanks with a greatful heart.
Go West, life is peaceful there.

And, indeed:

"Open the eyes of my heart Lord, open the eyes of my heart,
I want to see you, I want to see you..."

At which point I have to bite my hands not to sing:

"But I stiiiiil haven't fouuuuuund what I'm looking for!!"

--------------------
"If you really believe what you say you believe / you wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak"

Posts: 127 | From: a town where you can't smell a thing | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Never thought of that one, testbear. It would actually fit quite well with the song. I dare you to do it! [Devil]

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the link to this has already been given out, please ignore me (it's the first time I've seen it): if you don't like books of crappy choruses you can zap them) - here

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Padingtun Bear.

# 3935

quote:
Originally posted by testbear:
indeed:

"Open the eyes of my heart Lord, open the eyes of my heart,
I want to see you, I want to see you..."

At which point I have to bite my hands not to sing:

"But I stiiiiil haven't fouuuuuund what I'm looking for!!"

Hooray, hooray, it's not just me! [Yipee] I get so laughed at at music group practice for that one. Have been tempted to sing the original in an alt. service, though.

P. B.

--------------------
A voice from the fringe

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spotted that one a couple of years ago! Still love the song though.

In fact, probably playing it on Sunday. And I've even heard Tim Hughes confess that its his "lazy" opening to a set of worship songs.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last week I went to an informal morning worship service and we sang the worship song that fits to the tune of "Go West!" (Discussed some months ago on this very thread). I was grinning so much that I could have passed for a member of the Spring Harvest Crowd.
[Killing me] J

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016