homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Ravenloft
Apprentice
# 6781

- Posted      Profile for Ravenloft   Email Ravenloft   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, as someone brought through youth groups with "Youth Praise"..... who can forget those "classics" "Jesus is the Saviour" - a 12-bar blues that we got severely and regularly told of for playing somewhat up-beat! And of course "Can it be true?" - on which many a youth Christian first learned to play the guitar.....

There've been many comments about re-writing, sanitising, "modernising" the words of various hymns, but I suppose the worst ones are the Christmas Carols - whoever reworked "We three kings" ala Mission Praise should be taken outside and shown the error of their ways with a bit of 2" by 4"..... When Churches are full of people who only go once a year, lyrics that scan about as effectively as that are really not wanted.

--------------------
Frankly, I find your lack of faith disturbing..........

Posts: 6 | From: Norwfolk, England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, Ravenloft - I remember 'Youth Praise' when it first appeared, and I liked most of the songs.....still do (when I can drag the words and music back into my ageing mind.....).

Proper music died with Mozart, though.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder what an icon of the 'revealing God' would depict.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
glen moranjie
Shipmate
# 7011

- Posted      Profile for glen moranjie   Email glen moranjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talking of church songs that have disappeared over the years, is anyone still singing the one about "I cannot come to the party, don't bother me now, I have married a wife, I have bought me a cow." (Much childsh amusement swapping the words "wife" & "cow".)

I used to sing Kwm Byah ("Someone's praying Lord") complete with hand actions as a seven year old, hated it since and was appalled to see it on a songsheet in a country church recently. Having said all that, I sing an arrangement in a secular male voie choir and it does sound good.

Posts: 159 | From: South London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey.:
I have another example of a rewritten hymn from the aformentioned church. I'm not quite sure why they did a hatchet job on this one; as it wasn't all that 'gender-biased' in the first place. But anyway.

quote:
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

has become

quote:
Then my heart leapes, my spirit bursts in praise;
Creator God, how great you are.
Then my heart leaps, my spirit bursts in praise;
Creator God, how great you are.

So far, not so bad.

Even that is really, really naff. If they had to rewrite it (and I dispute that) what's wrong with a minimal change of lyrics, like "Then my soul sings, my Saviour God, to you; how great you are, how great you are"?

quote:

Does anyone think that rewriting hymns in this way is a form of plagiarism?

Absolutely.
Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey.:
... I'm not quite sure why they did a hatchet job on this one; as it wasn't all that 'gender-biased' in the first place. But anyway.

quote:
How great Thou art, How great Thou art...

has become

quote:
Then my heart leapes, my spirit bursts in praise;
Creator God, how great you are....

Does anyone think that rewriting hymns in this way is a form of plagiarism?

This looks more like a theological hatchet-job to me. Substituting "Creator" for "Saviour" is a little pointed, isn't it? Deism? Personal theology or official theology?

It's not exactly plagiarism ... but republishing modified words without permissions is a violation of copyright (potentially theirs, not yours.) And I can't imagine Stuart Hine or his literary heirs accepting this!

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cartwheel
Apprentice
# 5149

- Posted      Profile for Cartwheel   Email Cartwheel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aaaargh! Hymns for Today's Church!

I used to go to a church that used Hymns for Today's Church a lot, and the rewriting was, um, strange. Basically, someone seems to have decided that any reference to "Thee", "Thou" or "Thine" was utterly incomprehensible and had to be changed to "You" or "Yours" (often with horrendous results as someone struggled to rewrite a verse where "Thee" was part of a rhyme) but that "man" or "men" could be left unchanged.

Now, I understand that "man" was commonly used to mean "humanity" or "generic person" when many of these hymns were written, and if we're singing the old versions then I have no problems with it at all, but that usage is dying out. I wish it was dead already. So if someone has inflicted a consciously modernised version on me then it irks me that they have decided that being inclusive is not important. I notice.

Of course, there are modern choruses that refer to "Thou" (which said church sings unaltered, btw) and modern songs which refer to "man" which also get my goat. And being inclusive isn't my sole criterion for thinking a hymn/song is ok. But Hymns for Today's Church wound me up regularly because churches think that by using it they've become modern. They haven't.

Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Easter Sunday morning. My first Easter as a Christian. Hymns for Today's church. The crashing anticlimax of "Yours be the Glory"

Hard to forgive

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Koovie
Ship's Supply Organist
# 4434

- Posted      Profile for Koovie   Author's homepage   Email Koovie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to my life here in Kootenay. We've had a 1995 Synod resolution stating that inclusive language shall be used in all liturgies in the diocese. Some churches have extended that to their songs, singing such hits as well, "Yours Be The Glory", and "Praise My Soul, The God of Heaven", which has some horrible words such as this gem:

Instead of:

Praise, my soul, the King of heaven;
to his feet thy tribute bring....

Instead, we get...

Praise my soul, the God of heaven,
Glad of heart your carols raise...

Normally, I can deal with the inclusive language liturgies and music...but just not when they decide to change the "oldies but goodies"

Posts: 216 | From: Virden, Manitoba | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lillian
Shipmate
# 6158

- Posted      Profile for Lillian   Email Lillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This was one of my favorite threads during my long lurkdom, and I thank you all for lots of late-night laughs. It's thrilling to finally be posting here with the two hymns that drive me craziest.

First up, the already mentioned "Standing in the Need of Prayer." Aside from the fact that it uses the word "me" four times as often as "Lord," it's just plain weird:

Oh, Lord, it's me, it's me, it's me, it's me
Standing in the need of prayer . . .

So if it's addressed "Oh, Lord," is it not itself a prayer? Why would I be telling God I need prayer? I suppose that God could inspire the people sitting next to me to pray for me, but it seems unnecessarily complicated. I've always imagined God replying in an annoyed-mom voice, "Wait for the prayer requests and tell them yourself! Do you expect me to do everything for you?"

Second, the worst of the "sex with Jesus" hymns, "Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy":

I will arise, I will go to Jesus
He will take me in his arms
In the arms of my dear savior
O there are ten thousand charms

At least in the US I don't think it's ever really sung anymore except in the backwoodsy parts of the south and Appalachia. The melody's quite spare and beautiful, which is a shame, because ewwww.

Oh, I feel so much better now.

--------------------
Sometimes I think that the only art left for us is to slowly peel the label off a beer bottle while somebody tells us about a dream they had. —Lynda Barry

Posts: 233 | From: On a hallowed hill in Tennessee, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenloft:
There've been many comments about re-writing, sanitising, "modernising" the words of various hymns, but I suppose the worst ones are the Christmas Carols - whoever reworked "We three kings" ala Mission Praise should be taken outside and shown the error of their ways with a bit of 2" by 4".....

Oooh! I volunteer for that duty! Actually, I was at a parish that absolutely refused to sing that song. Not because of the kings, because it mentioned 'Orient', which we all know is so totally un-PC since you're supposed to call it 'Asia' now.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I finish my sermon yesterday morning, climb down from the pulpit and sit down in my chair (behind the communion table, right in front of the choir). And the choir stands up to sing, and I look at my bulletin and read "Anthem: Shine, Jesus, Shine"...

Hmmm... I don't think I know this song do I?
And yet the title is hauntingly familiar.

So the choir jumps in, and the music director thumps along with the piano... and it slowly dawns on me: I've read about this song on the Ship.

Oh dear. Must not snicker or giggle during the choir anthem. Must not.

Look at the floor, rehearse the benediction, breathe. It will end.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anthem != "Shine Jesus Shine"
Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my, you've only just come across it? There's a corner of Christendom that wasn't infected? do you mind me mildly tangenting and asking what kind of church you're at and where?

Seriously, in the nineties it was impossible to get away from that song.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<rant>

I played the organ (I don't usually) for Pentecost. And at my nice, ordinary, motr Anglican church we had the following hymns. Bearing in mind that this is one of the greatest feasts of the year, and that the church had A&MR long before they bought Shitting-Praise

1. Wind, Wind, Blow Away (or something equally banal and with unfortunate references for us with thinking minds!)
2. Spirit of the Living God
3. The Spirit Lives to set us free/Walk, Walk in the light
4. Be Still for the Presence of the Lord
5. Come, Holy Ghost our souls inspire (which MP has masterfully taken from plainchant into 3/4)
6. Shine Jesus Shine. [Projectile]

The first three, (certainly 1&3) have practically the same chord structure and are incredibly dull to sing (never mind play). 4) has long rivalled SJS as the not-quite-as-happy-clappy alternative when an Anglican church wants a token 'modern hymn' and 6)... what can i say? Can someone please give me a theological reason why I should refuse to play it? None of the hymns, in my opinion, are suited to accompaniment on the organ (though that's not to say I didn't give it my best whack).

Did anyone else have such a dire collection where the only decent Pentecost hymn was relegated to Communion #2?
</rant>

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was it "There's a Wind a-blowing"?

Not a great song, but fun to play with Drop-D tuning on Guitar.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferinjen:

1. Wind, Wind, Blow Away (or something equally banal and with unfortunate references for us with thinking minds!)

Never come across this one - [MarvinTheParanoidAndroid]sounds dreadful[/Marvin]

quote:
2. Spirit of the Living God
Which version? Both are as cheerful as a funeral, though.

quote:
3. The Spirit Lives to set us free/Walk, Walk in the light
Not such a bad song, but whoever even thought it should be even considered for accompaniment on an organ should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

quote:
[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

What I really hate about this one is the theological background from which it comes.

He comes to cleanse and heal, to minister his grace;
No work too hard for him, in faith receive from him

Innocuous enough, EXCEPT that you know, and I know, and even the church cat knows, that this is actually code for "Now we're going to have a long and emotionally charged ministry time in which the suggestible will have various words from the Lord, other people will suddenly remember a trauma from 1965, and if you're not completely delivered from it you didn't have enough faith or God doesn't like you very much" - or am I just bitter and twisted?

Of course, used as a communion hymn, it can just refer to the Presence of Christ in the sacrament, but we all know that's not how it was written, and, well, for me - too much baggage. 'Nuff said.

quote:
5. Come, Holy Ghost our souls inspire (which MP has masterfully taken from plainchant into 3/4)
I don't mind losing the plainchant - it's brilliant when the congregation can actually do it but just sad when they can't - like with Psalm chants.

quote:
6. Shine Jesus Shine. [Projectile]

'Nuff said. Perhaps it's Graham Kendrick who should be dragged out into the streets and shot? Can Matt Redman stand behind so we don't have to waste two bullets?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always associate Be still for the presence of the Lord with the late John Smith, now of Iona...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by GeordieDownSouth:

No, it was definitely 'Wind, wind...' (its the blow away bit I can't remember). Somewhere in Mission Praise should you look it up. A very dull tune, with a range limited to about six semitones.

Karl - thanks for dissecting the music into easy to spit-out-chunks. But I still don't have an eloquent reason ('its Graham Kendrick' doesn't suffice!) why I should refuse to have anything to do with it. It was the Spirit of the Living Lord which has 'break me, mould me, heal me, do-whatever-you-want-to-me' line in it'. All coming out of the bad* side of modern church music which I always imagine best suited to a sock-and-sandaled, rainbow-guitar-strap, bearded long haired bloke with an adoring female hippy sidekick.

*Actually, it might not always have been bad. Possibly just overplayed. I imagine all these churches whose only source of musical entertainment was AMR for 40 years suddenly seeing the colourful covers and stick men of Mission Praise ('and its got that nice Lord for the Years Hymn the bishop had at his do') and buying it in the late 80s. 20 years on, they realise there's only about 30 'new' hymns which the congregation can actually manage to sing and the organist won't walk out in a huff if s/he's asked to play. So they get repeated ad nauseum.

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had almost no church experience until the mid 90's and then joined an urban church with a fabulous music programme.

As a result, I am blessed with limited experience of songs which have traumatised others.

When we sang a parody of Will Your Anchor Hold at school, they had to teach me the tune. Now I don't have any idea what the real words are... the only words in my head describe the decline of women's leadership in the early church.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
But I still don't have an eloquent reason ('its Graham Kendrick' doesn't suffice!) why I should refuse to have anything to do with it.
How about:

1) it's lyrically banal,
2) it's musically naive,
3) it sounds bloody stupid on an organ?

--------------------

cygnus
Shipmate
# 3294

- Posted      Profile for cygnus   Email cygnus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lillian:

[
Second, the worst of the "sex with Jesus" hymns, "Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy":

I will arise, I will go to Jesus
He will take me in his arms
In the arms of my dear savior
O there are ten thousand charms

At least in the US I don't think it's ever really sung anymore except in the backwoodsy parts of the south and Appalachia. The melody's quite spare and beautiful, which is a shame, because ewwww.

Oh, I feel so much better now.

Is that one really any worse than (I'm sure it's been mentioned several pages back!)

By your side I would stay
In your arms I would lay*
Jesus lover of my soul
Nothing from you I withhold.

etc. etc.

* shouldn't it be "lie"? That has always bothered me.

My teenage daughter always gags when this is sung, and I have a hard time not giggling. We can't look at each other during this one.

Posts: 123 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cygnus
Shipmate
# 3294

- Posted      Profile for cygnus   Email cygnus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think it's

Wind wind blow on me
wind wind set me free
Wind wind my father sent
The blessed Holy Spirit.

Etc.

NOt the worst hymn around, but definitely closer to "horrible" than otherwise.

Posts: 123 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And in what way is that worse than:

quote:

Jesu, lover of my soul
let me to thy bosom fly

?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Jesu, lover of my soul...

A friend of mine abominates the sub-genre as "My Jesus, My Boyfriend", and includes Charles Wesley in her disapproval.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Jesu, lover of my soul...

A friend of mine abominates the sub-genre as "My Jesus, My Boyfriend", and includes Charles Wesley in her disapproval.
That would be considered a heresy in the Methodist Church. Wesley wrote (on the whole) briliant hymns.

Tom

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

quote:
Originally posted by cygnus:
quote:

I think it's

Wind wind blow on me
wind wind set me free
Wind wind my father sent
The blessed Holy Spirit.

Etc.

NOt the worst hymn around, but definitely closer to "horrible" than otherwise.

That's the one. The tune for the chorus is exactly the same as the tune for the verse.
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by thomasm:
That would be considered a heresy in the Methodist Church. Wesley wrote (on the whole) briliant hymns.

Tom

Doesn't mean everyone has to like all of them. The Anglican Church of Canada hymnbooks have a fair bit of Wesley. And Isacc Watts, whose father did jail time for not being an Anglican.

--------------------

NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know some of you hardened posters on this thread will think I've led a very sheltered life up until now, but this morning I found, quite by accident, a copy of Mary, blessed teenage mother. I actually used to think this was a spoof hymn title cooked up by someone on SoF, but since I was informed it was real, it's been this long before I clapped eyes on it.

OH -- MY -- GOD.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]
[Help]
[Projectile]

I really don't know what to say. I'll come back in about a year and see if I've come up with words to describe it.

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by Norman the Organ:
...I found, quite by accident, a copy of Mary, blessed teenage mother. ...

Author and publisher, and copyright date? Such an item should be well-documented, if only as a horrible example.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope someone has revived and restored Norman with GIN by now.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
Originally posted by Norman the Organ:
...I found, quite by accident, a copy of Mary, blessed teenage mother. ...

Author and publisher, and copyright date? Such an item should be well-documented, if only as a horrible example.
Can't remember offhand, someone else will know I'm sure - but it can be found in The Complete Anglican Hymns Old And New - along with a lot of other claptrap, and some decent hymns with their harmonies tampered with.

Yesterday I came across one called I Watch the Sunrise Lighting the Sky (also in TCAHO&N)... another load of vacuous rubbish, but mild compared with Mary Blessed Teenage Mother.

GIN - quick, bring me GIN!

(PS: Dyfrig mentions Mary Blessed Teenage Mother in his "Pearls Before Swine: The Parish Magazine of St. Bastard's and the Nibbles" thread in MW [Big Grin] )

[ 04. July 2004, 14:41: Message edited by: Norman the Organ ]

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If anyone's interested, some lines from "Mary-the-unmentionable-hymn" are here.

Funny (?) enough, the writer is full of praise. But, please, just look at the text... Aargh!!! [Disappointed]

Blessings

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone beat the Andy Park song "Take Me Away" in terms of the acute embarrassment of the lyrics:

quote:
I am looking for, I am longing for the place
Where I can lay my head upon your breast.
I am looking for, This place where you will pour,
Your oil over me, all over me.

This caused no end of hilarity at our Worship Group practices, but, sadly, we bottled out of ever actually playing it in a congregational setting. Shame, really, as it's a pretty good tune.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
I am looking for, I am longing for the place
Where I can lay my head upon your breast.
I am looking for, This place where you will pour,
Your oil over me, all over me.

Sounds like the Psalms to me ... which are full of imagery that doesn't work for 20+th century people, like Psalm 133:1-2
quote:
1 How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity!

2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.

Just doesn't match my notion of pleasant.

--------------------

NO
Shipmate
# 5477

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
If anyone's interested, some lines from "Mary-the-unmentionable-hymn" are here.

Funny (?) enough, the writer is full of praise. But, please, just look at the text... Aargh!!! [Disappointed]

Blessings

Ah, but the other two verses are MUCH worse than that! [Ultra confused]
Lil
Apprentice
# 4948

- Posted      Profile for Lil   Email Lil       Edit/delete post 
Every year in Beverley Minster there is the St John of Beverley service. Without fail, the congregation sings a hymn to the tune of "For those in peril on the sea". Everyone I have ever spoken to loathes it, but no-one is brave enough to remove it from the programme.

There are five verses. Here is an extract:
to appreciate it fully, I suggest you sing it.

"In days of old, in country ways
In Yorkshire woods, John sang thy praise
Each year upon the springtime wold
He saw the primroses unfold:
The bleating lambs, the breaking sea,
God's gift to man, eternally"

Verse two concludes with the line

"But as he served in lands of Kent
His winging thoughts homeward went"

We shall draw a veil over verse three.

Verse four tells us:

"But as he journeyed to and fro
Through summer's heat, through winter's snow,
The church where most he loved to pray
Stands where our minster stands today.
In age he came from work set free
And chose for rest blest Beverley"

The fifth verse is too unbearable to commit to print.

Posts: 9 | From: East Riding of Yorkshire | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prehaps we should have a ship meet for all instrumentalists to record these "Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns" onto a CD. Proceeds could go to charity.
Would you be willing to buy the featured Crappy Choruses on a CD if it was for charity?

Would anybody be interested in doing something like that?

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alternatively, you could probably make more money for charity (since the overhead would be lower and there would probably be more of a market) by compiling a complete list of all the CC&HHs. I'd buy it as a reference list of what to avoid.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We could make it a Chipmunk album! [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lil
Apprentice
# 4948

- Posted      Profile for Lil   Email Lil       Edit/delete post 
I've just remembered my old school song. Do school songs count?

It went:

Down where the Sussex sea
Flows by caressingly
Warmed by the benediction of the sun
Hope fires our hearts and wills
And our lithe bodies fills
With vigour as we leap and dance and run.

(I think there was a second verse, but mercifully I have forgotten it).

Here may we seek and find
The treasures of the mind,
The thoughts of sages since the world began
That we may dum de dah
According to thy plan
For wisdom shows the tboughts of God to man.

There was a tremendous descant to the last verse, which reduced us all to excruciating spasms of mirth at Speech Day.

Posts: 9 | From: East Riding of Yorkshire | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm, school songs are so dire that they're worthy of their own thread I think. I'm going off to Heaven to start one now and post my school song, which yes, I can still remember.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

On the contrary to the Beverley minster experience, the Durham cathedral 'hymn' (or at least the most recent one) isn't bad. Its set to Woodlands (Tell out my soul) and starts 'Ring Christ, ring Mary, Benedict and Bede' (which are the names of the bells in the tower).

[ 12. July 2004, 14:07: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm feeling slightly traumatised by the rendition of "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" that I had to endure last Sunday. Never mind whether it is actually a Christian Hymn or not (no need to tell us again Ken). Try singing it at a pacy Allegro tempo accompanied by guitar and full drum kit. [Help]

BK

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

4) has long rivalled SJS as the not-quite-as-happy-clappy alternative when an Anglican church wants a token 'modern hymn'

Happy clappy? Be Still seems to me about as far from happy clappy as you can possibly get! I'd put it in a similar genre to Guide Me, Oh Thou Great Redeemer, or possibly For All The Saints.
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:

4) has long rivalled SJS as the not-quite-as-happy-clappy alternative when an Anglican church wants a token 'modern hymn'

Happy clappy? Be Still seems to me about as far from happy clappy as you can possibly get! I'd put it in a similar genre to Guide Me, Oh Thou Great Redeemer, or possibly For All The Saints.
Whilst I agree that happy-clappy is possibly overstating its modernity, it surely can't be in the same category as Guide me, Oh thou great redeemer?

Judgement call, anyone?

Shipmate
# 76

It's in the same category as SJS and anything else that Songs of Fluffiness might print.

It's in the "Don't Play When Karl's Here Because The Expression On His Face Will Send The Communion Wine Sour" category.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

Karl, thank you.

Though personally I don't think it is that bad, just overplayed.

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, I dunno. I quite like "Be still..." as a communion hymn, and I could be wrong but I think I've only heard it as such, in both low and MOTR Anglican, and in Methodist churches. There's nothing wrong with a reminder of the Real Presence.

It beats playing spot the heresy with first person MP stuff, which is a temptation I feel I should resist around the Blessed Sacrament.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I refer the previous two posters to my earlier comments on this song:

quote:
What I really hate about this one is the theological background from which it comes.

He comes to cleanse and heal, to minister his grace;
No work too hard for him, in faith receive from him

Innocuous enough, EXCEPT that you know, and I know, and even the church cat knows, that this is actually code for "Now we're going to have a long and emotionally charged ministry time in which the suggestible will have various words from the Lord, other people will suddenly remember a trauma from 1965, and if you're not completely delivered from it you didn't have enough faith or God doesn't like you very much" - or am I just bitter and twisted?

Of course, used as a communion hymn, it can just refer to the Presence of Christ in the sacrament, but we all know that's not how it was written, and, well, for me - too much baggage. 'Nuff said.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016