homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
The Lady of the Lake
Shipmate
# 4347

- Posted      Profile for The Lady of the Lake   Email The Lady of the Lake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anybody tell me which is the song that has 'we are a vapour' as its second line.
'You are the ___' is the first line, and I can't remember what ___ is. Anyway, it sounds so silly, the tune is just namby-pamby, and the theology is all over the shop. It gives the impression that we as creatures are 'nothing', a sentiment I tend to find dangerous. Oh, its time signature is also either 6/8 or 3/4, which means that it sounds like some sort of exceptionally silly lullaby. [Projectile]

--------------------
If I had a coat, I would get it.

Posts: 1272 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of the Lake:
Can anybody tell me which is the song that has 'we are a vapour' as its second line.

Google points me to
Be Unto Your Name, Robin Mark

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's the one. All it says, as far as I can see, is 'You are eternal, we aren't, you're a lot bigger than us', none of which I can disagree with.

But then the only version I've heard is by the gorgeous Wellspring (listen here to a clip - scroll down to 'Lord of the Ages' CD) so I may be biased.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Be unto Your Name" is also on "Revival in Belfast" - IMO a distinctly non-crappy live CD.

To add to the Horrible Hymns list an NSM friend recalled finding a hymn with the title "My heart it is an oaken staff" - and said it was truly horrible. Based on the title it was pretty hard to disagree with him But I've never been able to find it. Anyone know it and can point to it?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
...recalled finding a hymn with the title "My heart it is an oaken staff" - and said it was truly horrible. ...

I found "My faith. it is an oaken staff", number 148 in the Boys Brigade hymnal. Cyberhymnal has that here credited to Thom­as T. Lynch (1818-1817) and thereby Public Domain.

First verse:

quote:
My faith, it is an oaken staff,
The traveler’s well loved aid;
My faith, it is a weapon stout,
The soldier’s trusty blade,
I’ll travel on, and still be stirred,
By silent thought or social word;
By all my perils undeterred,
A soldier pilgrim staid.

I've never aspired to be "staid" myself.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Henry, and now I know why I couldn't find it. It's pretty antique but not too horrible really. It could do with a few "nah, nah, nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, nah nah"s to improve its relevance and youth friendliness.

(To avoid misrepresentations, I like a lot of Kevin Prosch songs. "The Spirit of the Lord God" for example. Anyone who thinks that's horrible had better have a very good reason.....)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

- Posted      Profile for Calindreams   Email Calindreams   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was gutted when Kevin Prosch's albums were taken off the shelves when he was caught up in some controversy in the Vineyard church. During my own struggles with my own faith his words always spoke powerfully, probably because his lyrics reflected a similar struggle.

--------------------
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore

Posts: 665 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Calindreams:
I was gutted when Kevin Prosch's albums were taken off the shelves when he was caught up in some controversy in the Vineyard church. During my own struggles with my own faith his words always spoke powerfully, probably because his lyrics reflected a similar struggle.

Yes. Exactly. I hope it is possible for Kevin to be re-habbed (if he hasn't been already). I reckon a lot of other people might as well. New thread?

--------------------

The Expatriate Theolinguist
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to confess a dislike for Kevin Prosch based on the few songs I've heard. 'Lord of the Dance' seems to be a re-working of 'woo God's my girlfriend and I'm happy', and the others are 'Lord break our Hearts' and 'Shout to the Lord', which I find a bit more bearable but still a bit vacuous.

--------------------
Je suis une petite pomme de terre.

Formerly mr_ricarno, many moons ago.

Posts: 731 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Lady of the Lake
Shipmate
# 4347

- Posted      Profile for The Lady of the Lake   Email The Lady of the Lake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Henry,

thanks for finding the title of 'Be Unto Your Name'. The poor grammar of the title irritates me as well. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If I had a coat, I would get it.

Posts: 1272 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
Ken's use of "anisotropic" reminds me obliquely of the whole genre of 1960/1970 "relevant" hymns such as God of Concrete, God of Steel. Anyone ever actually heard this sung? I never have.

Frederick R.C. Clarke and Richard Granville Jones in The Hymn Book of the Anglican Church of Canada and the United Church of Canada (1971 edition)

I'm pretty sure this song was discussed, mocked and even parodied farther back on this thread. I have never heard it sung but it is responsible for me cracking up audibly during a three-hour Good Friday service one time, as I was flipping idly through (unfamiliar to non-Anglican me) hymnal.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Visiting my mum's church, I was accosted by a song containing the refrain:

Celebrate, Jesus, celebrate!

I know it's meant as invitation to celebrate the joyous resurrection of Christ, but I kept reading it as an imperative directed at Jesus: "You'll celebrate Your Resurrection and You'll darn well like it!"

[ 27. March 2005, 00:54: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's another "Directive " hymn or song. I detest all of them of any era, even if Charles Wesley wrote it.

Instead of declaring that we will worship, praise, adore or celebrate (or whatever else is your won't) just get on and worship Him, praise Him, adore Him or celebrate Him. Especially today. Just do it!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That's another "Directive " hymn or song. I detest all of them of any era, even if Charles Wesley wrote it.

Speaking of Wesley, aren't some of the words of "Christ the Lord is risen today" quite odd.

We had some international students at church today who had not a clue of what was going on - and I could see where their confusion stemmed from.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

I think it was some chap called Dave who made them popular. Jewish guy...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
Speaking of Wesley, aren't some of the words of "Christ the Lord is risen today" quite odd.

We had some international students at church today who had not a clue of what was going on - and I could see where their confusion stemmed from.

Which bits? Just checked out the words at cyber hymnal and the only bits I could find that are maybe a little odd are:

'Lo! the Sun’s eclipse is over, ....
Lo! He sets in blood no more'

but I don't think it's that difficult is it? (except that I think Cyber Hymnal must have got it wrong - sure it should be 'o'er' not 'over', to make it rhyme and scan!)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
quote:

Frederick R.C. Clarke and Richard Granville Jones in The Hymn Book of the Anglican Church of Canada and the United Church of Canada (1971 edition)

I'm pretty sure this song was discussed, mocked and even parodied farther back on this thread. I have never heard it sung but it is responsible for me cracking up audibly during a three-hour Good Friday service one time, as I was flipping idly through (unfamiliar to non-Anglican me) hymnal.
Ah yes, the monstrosity my father has always called "The Red Oven Door". I take it you didn't get to the one that thanked God for "this sacrament of sex that recreates our kind". [Roll Eyes] Between unsingable arrangements, rewordings that seem to be only for the sake of change, and hymns no-one would want to sing anyway, that book has to be the absolute worst thing ever foisted on unsuspecting Christians. Most places went back to the old Book of Common Praise a few years after the red thing came out. I don't know of any Anglican parish on the island that uses it, the church in my hometown having given up it's occasional use of it for the new green book. The latter is an improvement, but I suspect it is best received in those parishes that have used nothing else than the aforementioned piece of crap for the past thirty or so years and have thus forgotten what a good hymn is supposed to be anyway. What odds about blessing gay unions, we should have been drummed out of the Communion for allowing that thing in the door, IMNSHO!

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by shareman:
...Most places went back to the old Book of Common Praise a few years after the red thing came out. I don't know of any Anglican parish on the island that uses it...

The red union hymnal gets a fair amount of use in the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa. Some parishes have taken up the new Anglican book, which I think is also titled Comon Praise. The new United Voices United has its moments ... good and bad. I was at one Anglican parish in Toronto that was seriously discussing adopting Voices United.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shareman -

The Red Book was almost universal in Western Canada and Ontario. Interseting to hear what your father thought about it; do you have an opinion of your own?

And the new book is blue, not green.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Shareman -

The Red Book was almost universal in Western Canada and Ontario. Interseting to hear what your father thought about it; do you have an opinion of your own?

And the new book is blue, not green.

John

1. Not so's you'd notice. [Big Grin]

2. I'd have sworn copies I've seen of it are green. We don't use it, though I have seen it and read through it, though not recently. It's certainly an improvement over the Red one. Our former organist took exception to a Christmas hymn that made reference to "hope stillborn" but I don't recall the exact context now. I remember not being so upset by the reference when I read it, all the same.

What I don't understand is the seeming desire to change things for the sake of change. I don't mean doing away with exclusive language or the like, or of getting rid of racist (arguably, given the discussion a while ago on Greenland's Icy Mountains)hymns. I mean leaving out verses, for instance. Sorry, I don't own a copy, and thus can't give examples. I remember that the "new book" is not as bad for that sort of thing as the Red one was. We used it at home last Christmas Eve. One of the carols we sang was shortened in this fashion, can't remember which one at present, but it seemed needless to me. Sorry not to have specific references, but I'll see if I can find a copy over the next couple of days and be more specific.

--------------------

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I mean leaving out verses, for instance. Sorry, I don't own a copy, and thus can't give examples. I remember that the "new book" is not as bad for that sort of thing as the Red one was. We used it at home last Christmas Eve. One of the carols we sang was shortened in this fashion, can't remember which one at present, but it seemed needless to me. Sorry not to have specific references, but I'll see if I can find a copy over the next couple of days and be more specific.

Possibly it's to do with the (perceived or actual) shortened attention span of modern youngsters/non-regular churchgoers/people in general. Or to do with the fact that non-regular churchgoers really aren't used to corporate singing. Therefore, the thought goes, we shouldn't stress the poor things too much by inflicting too many verses on them. Even if you disrupt the entire narrative structure by doing so . (Think of the consequences of missing out certain verses of "At the name of Jesus"...)

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use the new book primarily as a source, but I have to say I haven't noticed the problems SHareman has found in his extensive use of the book.

SHortening Christmas carols is a perennial topic on these boards (though not, I think, a dead horse. As I'm not really aware of many Christmas carols in any hymnbook, including those in the Blue Hymn Book (1938 -- and the Spirit really hasn't spoken to any composers or authors since) Shareman prefers, that haven't been shortened, edited or generally buggered about with, I'm long since past worrying about it.

A hearty chorus of "Hark how all the welkin rings" anyone?

John

shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

First of all, I never laid claim to extensive use of the book. In fact, I stated clearly I didn't have much experience of it. I found some things I didn't like, some things I did. In fact, I specifically stated I thought Common Praise an improvement over the previous one.

I suspect from your tone you had some input into the compilation of one or both books. If it was Common Praise and you feel unjustly attacked, I apologize. I do have limited exposure to the book, and feel it has good points and bad points, as far as I know it. More familiarity may give me a better feeling concerning it, though my current feeling isn't too bad. If however, it was the red hymn book into which you had input, sorry, you've gotta take your licks on that one. It has little to redeem it as far as I'm concerned.

I am not one to believe Liturgy or Hymnody ought to be engraved in stone. It is just very difficult for the average person in the pew to see why things are changed some times. The attitude one gets from those who would innovate that if we don't agree with the changes being made then we must just be stick in the mud old fuddy duddies or unsophisticates who don't know what's good for us doesn't help matters. Neither does the constant carping from those for whom things have to be fixed for all time. If one does like a new hymn, one dare not say so in some circles. Not one Anglican clergyman explained why liturgical renewal was necessary in the 70s other than to say that people couldn't understand those old words and we had to get with the times. I asked and argued a lot in those days. It wasn't until years later that I found out the real reasons for liturgical renewal, and ceased to be the "BCP or death type" I had been. Same goes for hymns.

I'd suggest that most of the older hymns have attained a status not unlike folk song in many communities. They are not songs in a book, but a musical heritage we own, many of which are known off by heart. Changing them then becomes more than just liturgical innovation, and, frankly, DOES need justification. I think people would be much more open to new hymns if it wasn't presented as "out with the silly old stuff, in with the new relevant material". You don't get very far insulting people's heritage.

A case in point is Jesus Loves Me, every kid's favourite hymn when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. If the kids for whom it was meant had no trouble understanding it, why was it necessary to change it to "... and the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, in His love we shall be strong "? I do think changes like that need justification if only to avoid the accusation of pettiness.

And what's wrong with "Hark how all the welkin rings"? Might just be time to rejuvenate it.

--------------------

Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
My faith, it is an oaken staff,
The traveler’s well loved aid;
My faith, it is a weapon stout,
The soldier’s trusty blade,

Hymns whose primary subject matter is something other than God are always a source of some discomfort to me. "Lord Thy Word abideth" is another of these, as the words make clear that what is being referred to is Scripture, not Christ.

I don't want to sing hymns in praise of my own faith, or the Bible. I want to sing hymns to and/or about God.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:

I suspect from your tone you had some input into the compilation of one or both books.
A case in point is Jesus Loves Me, every kid's favourite hymn when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. If the kids for whom it was meant had no trouble understanding it, why was it necessary to change it to "... and the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, in His love we shall be strong "? I do think changes like that need justification if only to avoid the accusation of pettiness.

Nope -- I'm just a user. Commons WOrship would have been rather different if I'd been there. And, though I'm nearing 60, I's have to be closer to 80 to have been involved with the Red Book.

As we are not required to use any of the books, in our place we draw from a wide variety. It's in that context that I went carefully through Common Worship when it came out. Definitely mixed, though as you say, an improvement for those for whom the red book was their only experience. I do note that a number of hymns that were omitted from the previous book but were added in the red book also appear in the new one. WE've picked up a couple of excellent new Easter Hymns from the new book -- we sang "Truly he comes to us" to O Quanta Qualia today. But overall it's very conservative and middle of the road.

As for "Jesus loves me" -- "Jesus loves me...and the bible tell me so" is true. But saying "I know God loves me because the bible tells me he does", which is what the other words mean, implies that a child (and many adults' faith remains shaped by the words of hymns they sang as children) will know about God only from the book -- not from their families, friends and daily living. ENough to make a fuss over? Don't know, but I wasn't there.

John

Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone explain what is behind

God's promises are like rainbows in the dark?

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinisterial:
Can anyone explain what is behind

God's promises are like rainbows in the dark?

Guitar straps at a Evo' worship event?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds suspiciously like rubbish to me...

But it's probably meant to mean that the dark existential hopelessness of human existence is broken by the rainbow - symbolic of God's promises and his revelation of himself therein.

There does seem to be a slight physical problem with the analogy though...

--------------------
blog

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Oh, and as for "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

It's not that it's discounting other ways of knowing about God, simply working from the realisation that other ways are not as reliable and authoritative as the Bible.

--------------------
blog

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like many new comers I have fouind this thread and laughed over many evenings reading through the many pages!
My favourite hymn as a child is one many people seem to hate- not sure why??!!
How many remeber/know -
Hold the Fort for I am coming!!
Jante

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

It's not that it's discounting other ways of knowing about God, simply working from the realisation that other ways are not as reliable and authoritative as the Bible.

As interpreted by MY pastor, not YOURS. [Razz]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the other change in "Jesus Loves Me" as cited above (and I didn't even know the lyrics had been changed) is changing "they are weak but He is strong" to "in His love we shall be strong." Because we don't want children thinking they're weak, because it's bad for their self-esteems, I guess.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:

How many remeber/know -
Hold the Fort for I am coming!!
Jante

The second verse is particularly appropriate as a processional,
quote:
See the mighty host advancing,
Satan leading on

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

Karl Barth, who led the counter-attack against the feeble minds and shonky theology of the Bultmanniacs, was asked if he could sum up his theology in a single sentence. He thought for a while, and responded, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so".

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

"Hold the Fort for I am Coming" must have another life as a secular song celebrating organized labour, does it? Because I can clearly hear the opening line in my head, but it's promptly followed by "Union men, be strong!" I wondered if it did double duty, like "I Shall Not Be Moved," or am I going mad and conflating two quite different songs?

--------------------
Books and things.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Oh good... I'm not crazy.

--------------------
Books and things.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having only recently boarded The Ship (and subsequently spending most of yesterday reading this thread) I would like to add my own contribution.

Bearing in mind that I go to a relatively happy-clappy church I have a plethora of horrors to choose from... including one with the line 'But listen, my lover is coming'. Can't remember how it starts - just remember never being able to sing it with a straight face.

Anyway, one such classic (and I won't bore you with the first verse and chorus) says...

"There's a sound of praise
There's a sound of war, yeah
Lift the banner high
Let the Lion roar
Can you hear the sound in the
tops of the trees, yeah?
Heaven's armies come! Crush the enemy!"

What? Give me a break? What sounds in the tops of the trees? Squirrells? It isn't even singable - is scans poorly and the music is rubbish!!!

Other than that one I have a whole selection which have been bastardised by our youth group, including 'Open the Eyes of my Heart Lord' which became 'Open the legs of the tart, Lord'. Enough said about that the better really. Especially when it was particularly fitting for one of the girls who used to sing at the front for worship (oops did I say that? Internal monologue taking over again!!)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Having only recently boarded The Ship (and subsequently spending most of yesterday reading this thread) I would like to add my own contribution.

...oops did I say that? Internal monologue taking over again!!)

Auntie Doris x

Welcome aboard! Looks like you'll fit right in!

--------------------

Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's probably been mentioned before, but I just wanted to complain about "Earth and All Stars" with its "loud rushing planets," "loud boiling test tubes," and "loud pounding hammers."

It was one of the hymns chosen for a recent service and I couldn't stop laughing.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone heard a really stupid children's 'praise' song whose chorus goes

Hey ho!
It's time to go
boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boooooooooooooooooooooing

boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boooooooooooooooooooooing

or similar. It was used at a family service at my home church, and I found its almost total lack of reference to God, Jesus or Christianity rather amusing.

--------------------

The Venomous Bede
Apprentice
# 7991

- Posted      Profile for The Venomous Bede   Author's homepage   Email The Venomous Bede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hey ho!
It's time to go

Sounds Like Zebedee to me
Posts: 7 | From: scottish borders | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_ricarno:
Has anyone heard a really stupid children's 'praise' song whose chorus goes

Hey ho!
It's time to go

or similar. It was used at a family service at my home church, and I found its almost total lack of reference to God, Jesus or Christianity rather amusing.

We use annually at our church - for kids holiday clubs.

It passes as Christian because the first says about praying and the last about reading the Bible. Oh and that its by Dave Godfrey, who writes that sort of stuff.

I don't mind it for the holiday club as the kids like it, but would run a mile at the idea of using it in worship.

Oh and also its "come on" rather "hey ho" i think.

Tom

Shipmate
# 6064

quote:
Originally posted by thomasm:
Oh and also its "come on" rather "hey ho" i think.

Tom

I stand corrected.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

I got exposed to an example of a worship song that just didn't work for congregational singing this week. At a Cursillo ultreya, we sang (in the middle of a bunch of other stuff) Once Again by Matt Redman. Unfortunately:
  • The acoustics were poor
  • Most of the congregation didn't seem to know it
  • The praise band was a little uncertain on it
  • There was no strong lead singer with enough volume
  • The phrasing of the song is irregular
It, to be charitable, limped. By contrast, more familiar stuff had excellent volumen from band and congregation.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

That can work in congregational singing. But, as you say, it needs the congregation to know it and decent leading.

--------------------
blog

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've given up trying to read all 22 pages of this, so my apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but does anyone else remember a song probably from the late 70's called, I think, 'I'll trust the God of miracles'? It contains the priceless line,
'With God things just don't happen'....

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wandering Crucifer
Shipmate
# 7497

- Posted      Profile for Wandering Crucifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't remember it (I'm not old enough), but Google is my friend:

I Know Who Holds the Future
(near the top of the page)

--------------------
There is no end to the writing of books, and too much study will wear you out.
(Ecclesiastes 12:12, GNB)

Posts: 259 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I got exposed to an example of a worship song that just didn't work for congregational singing this week. At a Cursillo ultreya, we sang (in the middle of a bunch of other stuff) Once Again by Matt Redman. Unfortunately:
  • The acoustics were poor
  • Most of the congregation didn't seem to know it
  • The praise band was a little uncertain on it
  • There was no strong lead singer with enough volume
  • The phrasing of the song is irregular
It, to be charitable, limped. By contrast, more familiar stuff had excellent volumen from band and congregation.
Funny that, cos over here that was probably one of the most sung songs (in evangelical circles) about 5 years ago. It is also one of Matt Redman's songs that is most suitable for congregational singing (some would take that as an indication of what the rest of them are like!) I've sung it many times in many different groups and settings and most of the time it's been fine. I think one of the problems with music is that people don't accept that the first time you do something it's probably going to be a bit pants. It does sound like the band didn't know what they were doing though.
Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My least favourite Matt Redman song is the "dirge" Worthy. [brick wall]

The verses are bearable but the chorus

"Worthy X lots
Much more worthy than i know!

Cant stand repetetive choruses. It sounds like a droning chorus!

Like Mr Townsend (sp?) stuff, especially the Blessed be your name - sounds like a "proper hymn"

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by A. Smith:
My least favourite Matt Redman song is the "dirge" Worthy. [brick wall]

The verses are bearable but the chorus

"Worthy X lots
Much more worthy than i know!

Cant stand repetetive choruses. It sounds like a droning chorus!

Like Mr Townsend (sp?) stuff, especially the Blessed be your name - sounds like a "proper hymn"

I presume you mean Stuart Townend who has indeed written quite a few hymn-like songs in the past few years. I'm a bit confused though; Blessed Be Your Name is a Matt Redman one and couldn't really be described as a 'proper hymn'. Townend's most well known song is In Christ Alone - you might be thinking of something like that.
Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016