homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually I was saying the first thing that came in to my head. I have no idea what the weird harmonies they drift off into are. Just that most cogregations can't sing them. There is that wonderful effect when the men croak off into silent quiet groaning as the last verse goes on, leaving the women to whine on, mildly out of tune, dropping out one by one as they realise they no longer know which note to sing.

(Of course in our church most songs sound like that anyway.)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry Ken, I was just trying to be funny. Your post makes sense, and the examples do sound familar.

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday we sang Let us talents and tongues employ

Apart from some really, really, dodgy rhyming in the verses, everytime I sing this song I get this mental picture of bread rolls boucing around the church.

Boing, boing, boing.

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinisterial:
Yesterday we sang Let us talents and tongues employ

Apart from some really, really, dodgy rhyming in the verses, everytime I sing this song I get this mental picture of bread rolls boucing around the church.

Boing, boing, boing.

I really have no idea what Fred Kaan was thinking of when he wrote that, but clearly whatever it was was completely distracting him from writing decent hymnody.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
diamond
Apprentice
# 11155

- Posted      Profile for diamond   Email diamond   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In reply to: Newman's Own (# 420

Where did you hear the song "Follow Christ"?

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Diamond - welcome aboard!

It is somewhat unlikely that Newman's Own will reply in the near future to your post, since shipmates usually only come to the Dead Horses Board when they have something to contribute or are actively involved in an ongoing discussion.

If you really need an answer I would suggest that you send a PM (private message) using the PM link icon at the top of the Newman's Own post on this thread.

Enjoy yourself on the Ship.

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't normally flog dead horses, but I'm preparing for a funeral and ...

... the family want that (ghastly) Deidre Brown song "Come as You are".

In a moment of naive-absent-minded too-lazy-to-type-it-ness I decided to google the title. D'uh. [brick wall]

Hmmmm. Could have been an interesting funeral. The first results were [Eek!] (URL disconnected-by-disjoining because this is a family friendly thread)
quote:
a co-operatively owned sex toy, book and video store.
in Buenos Aires (see www.comeasyou are.com/masturbate/) [Hot and Hormonal] .

The next links were the Nirvana-related websites.

Kurt Cobain might have appreciated the humour. [Big Grin]

[ 27. March 2006, 00:33: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I don't normally flog dead horses, but I'm preparing for a funeral and ...

... the family want that (ghastly) Deidre Brown song "Come as You are".

In a moment of naive-absent-minded too-lazy-to-type-it-ness I decided to google the title. D'uh. [brick wall]

Hmmmm. Could have been an interesting funeral. The first results were [Eek!] (URL disconnected-by-disjoining because this is a family friendly thread)
quote:
a co-operatively owned sex toy, book and video store.
in Buenos Aires (see www.comeasyou are.com/masturbate/) [Hot and Hormonal] .

The next links were the Nirvana-related websites.

Kurt Cobain might have appreciated the humour. [Big Grin]

Point out that it is copyright protected, your licence doesn't cover it (or like material) so they will have to arrange licensing. If they ask you to say it will cost mayvbe £100.

That should scare tem off.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

I definitely remember singing ..."Glorious things of Thee are Spoken" (to Austria) in a service shortly after England beat Germany at football... [Big Grin]

But what can we sing, from the lexicon of horrible hymns and crappy choruses, when, for example, England are losing at soccer to Northern Ireland? We need a lament! "To Calvary, Lord, in Spirit now"? "By the Rivers of Babylon"? Any ideas?

Its a pity Sven does not appear to be a biblical word ....

Re Quantpole's comments - when were the lyrics to <i>Glorious things of thee are spoken</i> written? As it would be interesting to know whether the composer had re-appropriated "Austria" from Hitler?

Just interested in the timeline between the lyrics.

BTW - Quant, am looking forward to seeing you in 4 and then 11 days (2 Wycliffe bods getting married)

Alex

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Re Quantpole's comments - when were the lyrics to <i>Glorious things of thee are spoken</i> written? As it would be interesting to know whether the composer had re-appropriated "Austria" from Hitler?

Haydn is a long time before Hitler! Though I'm not sure if he wrote the tune or just arranged it for the Emperor - it does sound awfully like one of those old Lutheran chorales. Not that the likes of the Most Catholic Emperor woudl be dabbling in such things.

Glorious things of thee are spoken is John Newton IIRC, who was a contemporary of Haydn. I've no idea if he wanted to use that tune though.

Cyber Hymnal is our friend... it says the words are in Olney Hymns (1779) but the Emperor's song ("Kaiserlied"??????) was 1797 - so as it was published as a hymn Newton must originally have had another tune in mind.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Point out that it is copyright protected, your licence doesn't cover it (or like material) so they will have to arrange licensing. If they ask you to say it will cost mayvbe £100.

That should scare tem off.

Ah yes, lie to the bereaved because you want to impose your ideas on them. Great idea. [Roll Eyes]

Hint: Whoever a funeral is about, it is not about you.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Haydn is a long time before Hitler! Though I'm not sure if he wrote the tune or just arranged it for the Emperor - it does sound awfully like one of those old Lutheran chorales. Not that the likes of the Most Catholic Emperor woudl be dabbling in such things.
The Deutschlandlied was being sung to 'Austria' long before there was a Nazi party. According to one hymnal I've seen, Haydn took the tune of the 'Emperor' quartet from a Croatia folk tune. And 'Most Catholic' was the title of the King of Spain - Francis was Holy Roman Emperor and Apostolic King of Hungary...

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Ah yes, lie to the bereaved because you want to impose your ideas on them. Great idea. [Roll Eyes]

Hint: Whoever a funeral is about, it is not about you.

I agree with you. (Would not normally post just to say that, but wanted to record that rare event.)

[ 04. May 2006, 17:32: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
...I agree with you. (Would not normally post just to say that, but wanted to record that rare event.)

Almost everyone agrees with me at least once. You are just the latest victim. [Smile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I'm female and a worship leader (and yes, there are plenty of them - just look at any recent Spring Harvest album). If I do 'call and response' songs, I'm doing the 'call' bit. So usually the women end up singing those lines, and the men do the other lines.

The other singers on stage are mostly female too (the men like to hide behind instruments - chicken!).

Or behind the faders/cameras in my case... [Snigger]
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was introduced on Sunday to an appalling hymn which began

The Church is like a table.
A table that is round.

and didn't get better. Plus it had a hugely inane tune. Really didn't set me up for Communion.

Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
testbear
Shipmate
# 4602

- Posted      Profile for testbear     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, can we fill in the rest?

Did it go:

The Church is like a table
A table that is round
...It stands on solid legs
That reach down to the ground
These are the solid legs of faith
That keeps it off the floor
To let the table worship
for ev-er more

...?

Try it yourself!

--------------------
"If you really believe what you say you believe / you wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak"

Posts: 127 | From: a town where you can't smell a thing | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by testbear:
Ooh, can we fill in the rest?

Did it go:

The Church is like a table
A table that is round
...It stands on solid legs
That reach down to the ground
These are the solid legs of faith
That keeps it off the floor
To let the table worship
for ev-er more

...?

Try it yourself!

Does it have 5 legs? Can we call them T, U, L, I and P? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm singing that to 'Puff the Magic Dragon'...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gill H said
quote:
I'm singing that to 'Puff the Magic Dragon'...

Me too- especially as we have just introduced the toddlers at my church to
God's Love is like a circle!!!!

jante

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GillH and Jante : You are horrid! HORRID! I used to love Puff, but not any more! [Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't find the words on the internet anywhere, and I like testbear's version better anyway.
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night I had to play Holy Spirit we welcome you and it (the song, not the Spirit!) is now going round and round my head. Argh! [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's the trouble with cheap music - it lingers like a bad smell.

That said, I heard a sermon at a famous local anglo-catholic church where Kendrick was quoted and the words were really good (from Meekness and Majesty) about the theology of the ascension.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
testbear
Shipmate
# 4602

- Posted      Profile for testbear     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
That said, I heard a sermon at a famous local anglo-catholic church where Kendrick was quoted and the words were really good (from Meekness and Majesty) about the theology of the ascension.

Kendrick is much better quoted than sung, in my humble opinion. And - occasionally - his work does age significantly better than most of the rest of what was written at the time.

--------------------
"If you really believe what you say you believe / you wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak"

Posts: 127 | From: a town where you can't smell a thing | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

I suppose this one belongs here - but working as an email admin means I have to handle requests for stuff to be released from quarantine.

One document I had to pass to our Risk people was an order of service scanned in. On viewing it, I felt VERY sorry for the bride and groom - and everyone else.

The first two "hymns"?

Morning has broken.... [Ultra confused]
followed by...
Bind Us Together. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Waterworks]

At some other weddings, we joked about In Christ Alone becoming the SJS of 2003 - but these ones?

Alex

Covenanter
Apprentice
# 11684

- Posted      Profile for Covenanter   Email Covenanter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Morning has broken.... [Ultra confused]
Alex

Morning has broken - pick up the pieces
blackbird has spoken - wish he would sing

[fixed UBB]

[ 31. July 2006, 13:09: Message edited by: TonyK ]

Posts: 1 | From: Southall | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ex Cathedra
Shipmate
# 4579

- Posted      Profile for Ex Cathedra   Email Ex Cathedra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The church is like a table,
a table that is round,
It has no sides or corners,
no first, no last, no honours;
here people are in one-ness
and love together bound.

The church is like a table
set in an open house;
no protocol for seating,
a symbol of inviting,
of sharing, drinking, eating;
an end to 'them' and 'us'.

a table for a feast
to celebrate the healing
of all excluded-feeling,
(while Christ is serving, kneeling,
a towel round his waist).

where every head is crowned.
As guests of God created,
all are to each related;
the whole world is awaited
to make the circle round.

It's by Fred Kaan - I quite like it, though I agree the tune's a bit naff.

[duplicated post deleted]

[ 31. July 2006, 13:08: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
'Horrific deplorable violence is OK as long as people don't say any naughty words' - Sheila Broflovski

Posts: 83 | From: Essex, UK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a combined parishes picnic (us and some other lot) yesterday.

Musical ensemble consisted of a guitar, an accordian, bongo drums (played by Other!Parish's priest, our deacon wound up leading most of the service, he couldn't pull himself from behind them long enough to give the Absolution) and bagpipes.

Let's review the song sheet, shall we?

Introit: Morning Has Broken (bagpipe solo)
First Hymn: Some hymn I had never heard before, all about thanking God for random things, including our parents who teach us daily. And the average age of attendees was hovering around 65.
Gospel Processional: Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet
Preperation Hymn: Here I am, Lord
Postcommunion Hymn: Give Thanks
Closing Hymn: Shine, Jesus, Shine

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Musical ensemble consisted of a guitar, an accordian, bongo drums (played by Other!Parish's priest, our deacon wound up leading most of the service, he couldn't pull himself from behind them long enough to give the Absolution) and bagpipes.

Let's review the song sheet, shall we?

Introit: Morning Has Broken (bagpipe solo)
First Hymn: Some hymn I had never heard before, all about thanking God for random things, including our parents who teach us daily. And the average age of attendees was hovering around 65.
Gospel Processional: Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet

Preperation Hymn: Here I am, Lord
Postcommunion Hymn: Give Thanks
Closing Hymn: Shine, Jesus, Shine

AAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]
One of the WORST playlists I've ever heard! [Projectile]

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

At some other weddings, we joked about In Christ Alone becoming the SJS of 2003

No, seriously? People begin their married life together through chirping about 'the wrath of God being satisfied'? Lovely.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We sang that at a wedding we attended last Saturday sounded alright to me.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Christ Alone lyrics here (the Newsboys). Or are we talking about some other song? I like it, but I wouldn't consider it wedding fare.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Re "In Christ Alone" being called the SJS of 2004 - this was when it was sung EVERYWHERE.

Only it's good.

Alex

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
we had in Christ alone at our wedding, because it is a very significant song for both of us. I like it. I think it is good. Sorry!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I am having it at my wedding next month- it has special significance to me, and am happy to declare " Here in the love of Christ I stand" and "Here ibn the power of Christ I stand" as I start my married life.

Jante

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:
And I am having it at my wedding next month- it has special significance to me, and am happy to declare " Here in the love of Christ I stand" and "Here in the power of Christ I stand" as I start my married life.

I think it very much depends on whether you can stomach `the wrath of God was satisfied'. Other than that one line, I think it is a good hymn and I'm particularly impressed by the fact that it has a verse on the Resurrection, but I have major theological problems with that one line. If you're ok with PSA you're probably ok with it, but if not ... .

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ladies and Gentleman, I have found my home thread. Grumbling about hymns are my speciality. Being in a choir for years forced me to sing various things, but in my Verging days I'd simply walk out when I couldn't stand a hymn.

Excuse me, but I haven't time to read all 26 pages, so will just add the hymns and songs I hate:

Christ is made the sure foundation (not a bad tune, but I've seen this song murdered many times, well, heard it, and it's too much)
That 'you're my (something), you're my (something else), you're my (something again) my righteousness, and I love you Lord' song

Any song involving clapping (well, any non Liverpool FC song)

Who put the colour in the rainbow? (it wasn't me, Mum)
At the name of Jesus (with either tunes)
I want to see Jesus lifted high (I want to see the person who wrote this hung high)
The Servant King
in fact anything by Kendrick
Of the glorious body telling (not the words, or the plainsong, but there's one horribly tune which my old Church used to sing each Benediction, to all the bloody verses)

I'll be back with more.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At my school a special favourite is 'Be Bold' ... as in
Be bold
Be strong
for the LORD your GOD is with you.
Be bold
Be strong
I am not afraid (NO NO NO!)
I am not dismayed (NOT ME!)
for I'm walking in faith and victory
come on and walk in faith and victory
for the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD
your GOOOOOOD
is WIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIITH YOU!
[Big Grin]
with shouting and enthusiasm. Which I'm not used to seeing in assembly. Oh, and I hate any of the cheesy stuff by Rutter. I don't mind the All Things Bright and Beautiful, but most of his pieces...
The headmistress likes Rutter. Well, either that or that's the head of music's excuse and he's sticking to it!

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ena:
At my school a special favourite is 'Be Bold' ... as in
Be bold
Be strong
Be bold
Be strong
I am not afraid (NO NO NO!)
I am not dismayed (NOT ME!)
for I'm walking in faith and victory
come on and walk in faith and victory
for the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD
your GOOOOOOD
is WIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIITH YOU!
[Big Grin]
with shouting and enthusiasm. Which I'm not used to seeing in assembly.

I loved that song when I was at primary school! Another favourite sung with great enthusiasm was

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty
There's nothing my God cannot do. (THAT'S TRUE!)

The mountains are His,
The valleys are His,
The stars are His handiwork too.

I actually was at this particular school recently helping out with a 40 Hour Famine promotion at Tuesday morning worship. They used a backing CD to use the 2004 PlanetShakers version (Word Bookstore audio sample link) which is a great improvement from the old out of tune piano!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just joined the SOF after reading all 26 pages of the HH & CC and now add my bit. I worked for a funeral parlour for many years and have been a church organist for more years than I care to admit, and during that time was often called upon 'to fill in' when there was no one available, mostly on sub standard instruments at remote country churches.
My least favourite hymns are "Amazing Grace" and 23rd Psalm which generally are chosen by non church folk (to add that touch of religion to the service) and very often are 'ruined' by the mourners and/or the keyboard player (not mwah!).
I recall one service with SIX hymns and packed church and no one except for the minister sang a word. The instrument was a lovely restored harmonium which had, thankfully, an electric blower. (or should that be sucker??) Just as well for that as one hymn had EIGHT verses.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, Gay Organ Grinder. As you quite obviously have more time on your hands than you know what to do with, may I recommend Musical Irreverence - the thread which sucked me onto the Ship (from before the Ship had this Board software) and the original CC&HH thread.

If you're not a gibbering wreck after that lot ...

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
quote:

At some other weddings, we joked about In Christ Alone becoming the SJS of 2003

No, seriously? People begin their married life together through chirping about 'the wrath of God being satisfied'? Lovely.
Some of us think that the wrath of God being satisfied is a good thing worth remembering on your wedding day. It's a wedding favourite of the last couple of years IME.
Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for your welcome, Ann. FWIW I read the 26 pages over a few weeks!!! I will now plough my way through Musical Irreverence.

Now for yesterday's 'music'. We had a DVD (UGH) for our praise time with "Worthy is the Lamb/Crown Him With Many Crowns". Not a bad song, apart from the line "the darling of heaven" (makes my skin crawl) but I can't stand singing to DVD's when there several of us musos present, some of course, better than others. I was working the power point and sound desk and was tempted to hijack the DVD but thought better of it.

--------------------

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome indeed! As one of the ministers who has often sung magnificent *cough splutter* solos of "Abide with Me" and "Amazing Grace" I happily offer my "amen" to your comments. As well as my undying repect for someone who can read that many pages of dead horses [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kepler's Puppet
Shipmate
# 4011

- Posted      Profile for Kepler's Puppet   Email Kepler's Puppet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gay Organ Grinder:
I was working the power point and sound desk and was tempted to hijack the DVD but thought better of it.

You're not the only one who has had such urges. At my church the DVDs have some appeal, namely that the tempo is steady and the music is sung on key, so dispite the temptation I usually don't mess with them.

--------------------
Most Likely Lurking

Posts: 1447 | From: Dixie Land | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kepler's Puppet:
quote:
I was working the power point and sound desk and was tempted to hijack the DVD but thought better of it.

You're not the only one who has had such urges. At my church the DVDs have some appeal, namely that the tempo is steady and the music is sung on key, so dispite the temptation I usually don't mess with them.
We'll occasionally use a DVD thing (are you using those horrible iWorship ones?) but mute the sound and have the band play it to the same tempo. But we are also a large church blessed with a large number of very talented musicians, and I recognise it's probably harder for most churches.

A couple of the leaders at my church would actually like to do more of this stuff - they practically salivate over the video stuff used by Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman and Louie Giglio on the Indescribable tour!

ETA: a good way to make sure a DVD soesn't work is to mess with the EQ on that channel. Never fails!

[ 18. September 2006, 05:02: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

Yes, they are those horrible 'worship' ones. I will keep in mind fiddling with the EQ for when next I have to face the same DVD.
What I can't understand is that we have ten capable pianists/organist who are very able to knock out these tunes but somewhere the powers that be insist on having these horrid DVD's. I feel the minister doesn't want to upset anyone!! Also my partner of 26 years, felt travel sick watching the DVD go at break neck speed through canyons, down rivers and over mountains and the quality of the picture was crap too.
There, now I feel much better for having told you guys here!!!

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...the powers that be insist on having these horrid DVD's. ...

Time to "misplace" the DVD? Or have it suffer a regrettable scratch in the innermost ring?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

The main problem I have with the Integrity iWorship DVDs is that the visuals are all the same generic pictures of nice green hills and stuff - highly insulting given our extreme drought at the moment. The second problem I have with them is that all the music is crappy stuff by Paul Baloche and others of the same style. I am so thankful that sixsteps music protects their copyright so well because I don't want my love for current Chris Tomlin / Passion music ruined by crappy DVDs. Especially Indescribable.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016