homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Franknhonest - your post made me don my hostly mode to re-check the title and intent of this thread.

This thread is for reporting hymns, worship songs and any other ditties that we are required to sing in during worship and which cause us negative feelings.

It is not a place for writing new material, especially when it is then used to have a crack at other people's beliefs/lifestyles. There are other, seperate, boards for creative work (and that is being kind to your effort) and attacks on groups/organisations that you dislike.

Kindly bear this in mind!

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Thirteenth Duke:
Have we sunk to the depths of beastility yet?
I utterly despise the twee chorus "Let the Son of God enfold you...

Chorus

"Jesus, Jesus, Come and fill your lambs"

The title of this twee piece of musical crap is "The Spirit Song".

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for reminding me.

[Projectile]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Thirteenth Duke
Shipmate
# 11216

- Posted      Profile for The Thirteenth Duke   Email The Thirteenth Duke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Tony K for editing! I did preview post but saw it as code - I just thought this was a quirk of the preview post. So I presume preview post is full preview of everything even vomitting smileys? I take this as a yes in view of kind editing note.

The thread went all quiet after I'd posted. I thought have I gone to far? (Sharp intakes of breath and "Harrummphs" all round). Glad to see at least one person agreed.

I'll get me coat...

--------------------
Me, with my reputation? What were they thinking?

Posts: 54 | From: I can't remember...on my country estate somewhere | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
.Better - the wrath of man was on him laid

Never.

The SIN of man, and the WRATH of God. So that, being cleansed of our SIN, the WRATH of God is no longer on us. This is what atonement is all about.

[Dear, oh Dear. I am becoming centurion]

So God puniishes people for what others have done. When I was a teacher, if I had a detention for a whole class if the culprit would not own up, I would have been unprofessional. If, when they had caning, I caned the wrong child, I would be unproffessional and immoral. Is God immoral?

The point about the 'wrath of man' is thathumans took out all their anger on to Jesus because they could not bear the implications of his truth for their lives.

The theory that he paid for our sins by taking away God's wrath on us is a very modern one - it gained popularity in the USA revivals of the late 18th and early 19th Centuries (it is possible to read Calvin to say something similar, also Anselm - but only by reading the idea back into their work).

So penal substitution is not a mainstread Christian idea - neither throughout the current church geographically, not the church historically.

Maybe you should read Isaiah 53

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
originally posted by Mudfrog:

I expect Leo, like me, has read Isaiah 53, and, like me, is unconvinced that it can be said to be the base text for PSA. Though I agree that there is a debate to be had, this is probably not the place to have it. I actually owe m.t-tomb and Barnabas a thread examining the biblical basis (or, as I believe, non-basis) for PSA, so, since I'm on leave next week, I may get the opportunity to start it.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
.Better - the wrath of man was on him laid

Never.

The SIN of man, and the WRATH of God. So that, being cleansed of our SIN, the WRATH of God is no longer on us. This is what atonement is all about.

[Dear, oh Dear. I am becoming centurion]

So God puniishes people for what others have done. When I was a teacher, if I had a detention for a whole class if the culprit would not own up, I would have been unprofessional. If, when they had caning, I caned the wrong child, I would be unproffessional and immoral. Is God immoral?

The point about the 'wrath of man' is thathumans took out all their anger on to Jesus because they could not bear the implications of his truth for their lives.

The theory that he paid for our sins by taking away God's wrath on us is a very modern one - it gained popularity in the USA revivals of the late 18th and early 19th Centuries (it is possible to read Calvin to say something similar, also Anselm - but only by reading the idea back into their work).

So penal substitution is not a mainstread Christian idea - neither throughout the current church geographically, not the church historically.

Isa 53's servant refers to the nation of Israel and is not a prophecy about Jesus - I can PM a study guide of it to you if you want.

[ 13. October 2006, 22:03: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Isa 53's servant refers to the nation of Israel and is not a prophecy about Jesus - I can PM a study guide of it to you if you want.
Isaiah 53 is a prophecy - you cannot talk in absolutes about what it does/doesn't say. Why not posst a link to your study guide for us all to judge it by.

The most compelling argument is that Jesus did actually die a criminal's death. Given God is in nature infinitely glorious, there would have to be a pretty darn good reason for Jesus to have been completely humiliated in that manner.
I reckon that paying the price for humanity's sins in the cause of reconciliation with God is a pretty high possibility given the strong biblical support for the idea.

[ 14. October 2006, 06:13: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Isa 53's servant refers to the nation of Israel and is not a prophecy about Jesus

Not mutually exclusive.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:
quote:

Isaiah 53 is a prophecy - you cannot talk in absolutes about what it does/doesn't say. Why not posst a link to your study guide for us all to judge it by.

The most compelling argument is that Jesus did actually die a criminal's death. Given God is in nature infinitely glorious, there would have to be a pretty darn good reason for Jesus to have been completely humiliated in that manner.
I reckon that paying the price for humanity's sins in the cause of reconciliation with God is a pretty high possibility given the strong biblical support for the idea.

Because it isn't on line and it isn't finished yet.

However, I can PM it to anyone who wants it - particularly the bits that shows that the KJV inaccurately translated the Hebrew in order to make it fit Jesus.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chaps,
Discussion of the correct interpretation of Isaiah 53 would belong in Kerygmania, please take it there if you want to continue discussing it, but no more on this thread, thanks.

cheers,
Louise

Dead Horses co-host

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to arrange a smooth transition from Isaiah 53 back to the true purpose of the thread, of challenging the musically indefensible.

Last Sunday we had a new song "Beautiful One":

...No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart can fully know
How glorious, how beautiful you are

Chorus:
Beautiful one I love
Beautiful one I adore
Beautiful one my soul must sing

Powerful so powerful your glory fills the skies
Your mighty works displayed for all to see
The beauty of your majesty awakes my heart to sing...

Which sounds as naff as it reads. And, as I pointed out to the person next to me, contradicts.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Isaiah 53:2

Sadly, no luck yet on getting it banned for heresy.

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Truly, charismatic hymnody has plumbed new depths.

--------------------

Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gaaah,

At the moment we have 5 students staying with us from a pentecostal non denom bible college. Apart from the overall hideousness of putting up with their slovenly teenage ways their music is a trial.

Last night whilst trying bto watch my favorite TV show they were having "worship in the common room. Noisy worship, complete with guitar, tounges and hillsong.

Heart of worship...Its all about Yooooou Jeeeeesus.

Over and over and over and over.

[brick wall]

Thank God they go tommorrow.

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Last Sunday we had a new song "Beautiful One":

...No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart can fully know
How glorious, how beautiful you are

Chorus:
Beautiful one I love
Beautiful one I adore
Beautiful one my soul must sing

Powerful so powerful your glory fills the skies
Your mighty works displayed for all to see
The beauty of your majesty awakes my heart to sing...

Which sounds as naff as it reads. And, as I pointed out to the person next to me, contradicts.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
Isaiah 53:2

Actually, I rather like the song. It's unsingable in the key it's written in, though! Taking it down a tone helps, but I wouldn't play it at the end of a set!

Nice segue, though, Sarah. You're not a worship leader, are you? [Biased] [Big Grin]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Which - when you stop to consider the depths already plumbed by charismatic hymnody - is quite a remarkable achievement.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibįwa weyu lįrigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm very pleased to say we don'have Worship Songs (whatever they are..) in our church. A new priest chose 'Living Lord' (YUKK) one Sunday and almost caused a riot. Never again - that taught him who is boss..

But never assume bad is only new - how about this stinker from the good old English Hymnal? [Projectile]

Horrible Hymn

Read, listen and cringe!!!

MD

[ 17. October 2006, 15:04: Message edited by: My Duck ]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dogs Dinner
Apprentice
# 2929

- Posted      Profile for Dogs Dinner     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anybody seen the lyrics to a chorus, I think from the redemption hymnal that went something like this

I'm on the pil
I'm on the pil
I'm on the pilgrims way

I have a man
I have a man
I have a mansion in the sky

He's gona come
He's gona come
He's gona come into my heart

I think there are one or two more verses
Please add as you see fit [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oh! freedled grunt buggly, thy micturations are full of gabble blotches...

Posts: 19 | From: My little bit of paradise | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Dogs Dinner:
Has anybody seen the lyrics to a chorus, I think from the redemption hymnal that went something like this

I'm on the pil
I'm on the pil
I'm on the pilgrims way

I have a man
I have a man
I have a mansion in the sky

He's gona come
He's gona come
He's gona come into my heart

I think there are one or two more verses
Please add as you see fit [Big Grin]

There used to be one:

'And catch the flee
And catch the flee
And catch the fleeting hours.'

[ 17. October 2006, 16:27: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am a bore
I am a bore
I am a bore-n again Christian

I'll find a lass
I'll find a lass
I'll find a lassting peace with God

My life's a mess
My Life's a mess
my life's a message to the world

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
Does anyone understand this verse of All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name ?
quote:
4. Sinners, whose love can ne'er forget
the wormwood and the gall.
Go, spread your trophies at His feet
and crown Him Lord of all!

To quote St. Paul "my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful."
Sinners, who constantly remember that Jesus died for you.
Praise him, and crown him &c.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogs Dinner:

I'm on the pil
I'm on the pil
I'm on the pilgrims way

I seem to remember that Dorothy L Sayers puts this joke into the mouth of one of her characters in Murder Must Advertise - there it's 'O take a pil/grim home' and 'O for a man/sion of the skies'.

There's also the Two Ronnies' English Folk Song and Dance sketch, which uses a similar gag.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a similar thing in a Simpsons episode as well.
Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
There's also the Two Ronnies' English Folk Song and Dance sketch, which uses a similar gag.

lyrics here (scroll down) - thanks for reminding me!

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Come lay your bird
Come lay your bird
Come lay your burden at His feet"

(I think our esteemed Captain wrote that one!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sanityman:
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:

lyrics here (scroll down) - thanks for reminding me!
The poster there hasn't such a good memory. This page has a better recollection of the first two verses. I recall the last two as:

Now bold Sir John he met a maid,
As on her back she lay.
"Pray show respect and come not near,
For I've seen many a maiden here
Get lost among the new-mown hay,
So doff your hat I pray."
Get lost, &c.
Sod off, &c.

When bold Sir John returnèd home,
They gave him gin to try.
"Nay fill me not with liquor up,
Nor give me grain nor grape to sup.
Pour cowslips' dew into my cup -
A puritan am I."
Poor cow, &c.
Up you, &c.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Salvation belongs to our God'.

Our church used to repeat the chorus forever (and ever). Just "Be to our god, forever and ever". Hours. Hands in the air, folk rocking from side to side. I kept wanting to scream 'it doesn't make sense, people!' At the time my niece was very into Bananas in Pyjamas. Once I'd heard it as "B2, our God" it was all downhill.

Also, "they will dance with joy like we're dancing now". What, awkwardly?

Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by grushi:
Also, "they will dance with joy like we're dancing now". What, awkwardly?

There's a whole pile of hymns, songs, and psalms that describe actions; usually we're not doing them. "Let the lifting up of my hands be as the evening sacrifice" - but Anglicans who use psalms rarely, if ever, lift their hands. Similarly, there are hymns that describe standing - we use them as communion hymns and sing them kneeling. And the odd hymn that describes kneeling can wind up as the processional.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troupe:
There's a whole pile of hymns, songs, and psalms that describe actions; usually we're not doing them.

If only it were always so. With this one the worship leaders usually seemed to feel they hadn't done their job until they'd roused everyone into an uncomfortable wiggle.
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thankfully the "we stand and lift up our hands" of the Chris Tomlin song Holy is the Lord is not so awkward around here anymore. The youth at the Friday evening services will do it with or without such lyrics.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:

Nice segue, though, Sarah. You're not a worship leader, are you? [Biased] [Big Grin]

I play in the music group, but I’m not the leader. Last time the top job came up, I considered it, mainly as a way of preventing drivel worship from being sung. Then I realised this was going to leave so little material left to sing, that long gaps would appear in the service, which would be filled with extra preaching.

quote:

Oh, but it went even deeper today.

Many of us are familiar with the GK classic “I’m special”. Given the number of children that were in the service at the time it was sung, it was reasonable enough to sing it. Today, however, someone added a second verse, changing “I” to “You”. So instead of

I'm special because God has loved me,
For He gave the best thing that He had to save me;
His own Son …

We get:

You're special because God has loved you,
For He gave the best thing that He had to save you;
His own Son Jesus , crucified to take the blame
For all the bad things you have done.

Thank You Jesus, thank You Lord,
For loving us so much.
You know you don't deserve anything.
May you feel God’s love right now,
To know deep in your heart
That You’re his special friend.

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:

Thank You Jesus, thank You Lord,
For loving us so much.
You know you don't deserve anything.

It would, I think, work in Latin. In English, it's terminally confusing.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'We're special' probably would have worked. I've always managed to avoid that particular gooey song, though, and I'm not changing now.

Changing 'I' to 'we' is usually OK, unless you are singing 'you are the restorer of our souls' in the South of England, where it comes out alarmingly like 'restorer of arse'oles'. [Razz] (Although come to think of it ... [Biased] )

I led 'We stand and lift up our hands' yesterday, despite the fact that I personally was sitting down and playing a keyboard. Nobody appeared to mind.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

That's a classic? I know GK has more poetry in his soul than that.

Even without the pronoun confusion.

--------------------

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

quote:
That's a classic? I know GK has more poetry in his soul than that.

Even without the pronoun confusion.

Knew I should have added the quotation marks. Otherwise the typed words don't convey the sense of overwhelming sarcasm intended. Then again, could anyone mistake "I'm special" for a classic?
Shipmate
# 76

Amazingly, some people do evidently mistake it for a song worth singing [Biased]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is certainly one of the songs which I steadfastly ignore, despite the fact that I know that some of the congregation love it.

I'm afraid even the title gets me sniggering, as I think of dear Ralph Wiggum.

There are times when you wonder if GK is actually an undercover agent for the Other Side.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:
Many of us are familiar with the GK classic “I’m special”. Given the number of children that were in the service at the time it was sung, it was reasonable enough to sing it.

Can I take it there were no children in the service at the time? That seesm to be the most appropriate number for that song.

--------------------
Ken

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Can I take it there were no children in the service at the time? That seesm to be the most appropriate number for that song.

Mee-ow!

[Smile]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

I think the point might have been quite serious, actually. Asking kids to sing "I'm special" these days is a bit like asking us, when we were kids (I was a kid in the 70s) to sing "I'm backward"

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Precisely, Karl! I really don't understand why people don't get that. When I was in school, that's exactly what "special" (noun: spesh) meant.
Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I play in the music group, but I’m not the leader. Last time the top job came up, I considered it, mainly as a way of preventing drivel worship from being sung. Then I realised this was going to leave so little material left to sing, that long gaps would appear in the service, which would be filled with extra preaching.
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Truly having to navigate between Scylla and Charybdis.

--------------------

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In all the years this thread has run, no one seems to have complained about
quote:
O higher than the Cherubim
more glorious than the Seraphim
Lead their praises, alleluia.
Thou bearer of the eternal Word,
most gracious, magnify the Lord

Calling the Mother of Jesus "higher than the Cherubim" contradicts Psalm 8.6, "You have made [mankind] but little lower than the angels", unless it can be argued on the basis of such passages as 1 Cor. 6.5 and 1 Cor. 15.49 that all the baptised will become "higher than the cherubim". But I don't think this is what the author meant.

Similarly I can't call the Mother of Jesus "most gracious". It is God alone who is "most gracious". Otherwise the word "most" has no meaning.

--------------------
Foržon we sealon efestan žas Easterlican žing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, žaet we magon cuman to žam Easterlican daege, že aa byš, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mockingbird,

Funnily enough we were discussing that very stanza last night during kava time.

That is from an ancient Orthodox text, (hint: some EO please tell us where it came from).

In this hymn we call on the nine choirs of angels to praise hymn, then in the second verse, we address Our Lady.

She is called "higher than the cherubim, more glorious than the seraphim" because no other human being, and no angel of heaven, ever contained Him "through whom all things were made" in her body. Not Michael, or Gabriel or Raphael. This is an honour which does indeed make here "blessed among all women". For this reason "all generations SHALL call her blessed".

The phrase "Thou bear of the eternal word" is nothing other than thee Chalcedonian definition of Mary as the theotokos, or more usually in English, "Mother of God" The definition was written in 451 and accepted by all Christians who trace apostolic descent.

Some may object to this title, but Jesus asks us like he did to Peter "Who do YOU say I am?" If you think "your just a bloke" or can we say with Thomas "My Lord and my God."

"Most gracious, magnify the Lord"

Well, "most gracious" is "full of grace." Luke 1:28 (highly favoured, greatly blessed--translations very--vulgate: gratia plena, full of grace.)

Magnify the Lord=My soul doth MAGNIFY the Lord., Luke 1:46.

So the hymn is very Biblical, incarnational, celebrating the "communion of saints" in heaven and on earth.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mama,

It is the Magnifical hymn, which is I believe common to the Liturgies of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. I was reading it, in the translation of the Orthdox Liturgy put out by the Fellowship of Saint Alban and Saint Sergius, only this morning. The text runs:

"It is very meet to bless thee who didst bring forth God, ever blessed and most spotless and the Mother of our God. More honourable than the Cherubim, and glorious incomparably more than the Seraphim, thou who inviolate didst bring forth God the Word, and art indeed Mother of God, thee do we magnify."

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've read various bits of this thread and much merriment it has caused me [Yipee] I hope you'll all forgive me for not reading it all from end to end!

At various points people have posted parodies of crappy choruses - I was wondering whether there might be a Circus game in this? E.g. someone writes a line, then the next person writes another line, the cheesier the better, and so on ... ??

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

Can I complain here of horrible renditions? I heard a version on the radio of Joyful, Joyful in which the "t" sounds were almost entirely absent. I turned it off at "giver of immoral gladness", because I decided that it was verging on blasphemy ... and I was verging on apoplexy!

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

That's the normal way to say that word round here.

--------------------
Ken

OrthodoxXian
Apprentice
# 11891

- Posted      Profile for OrthodoxXian   Email OrthodoxXian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my evangelical days the hymn I loved was 'How firm a foundation'

The first verse read:

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord
Is laid for your faith in his infinite word
What more can He say, then to you He hath said,
You, who unto Jesus for refuge hath fled

The tune is the same as 'Immortal, Invisible God only wise'

The fourth line is clearly shows a different way of approaching Our Lord

--------------------
"..the true nature of worship...is to take us into a different world-that of God's Presence!"-Fr Alexander Schmemann

Posts: 25 | From: Newark, England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone was playing a CD yesterday evening with Matt Redman singing a song which included the word "antheming" (as in "when heaven's hosts are antheming"). I don't know what the song is called, or whether it's one of Mr Redman's own, but that's the vilest piece of verbing I've heard for a long time. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016