homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Someone was playing a CD yesterday evening with Matt Redman singing a song which included the word "antheming"

Would that be this one?

It's vile verbing, sure enough, but Keats was there first with
quote:
...Sweet birds antheming the morn
And, in the same moment, hark!
'Tis the early April lark...

[ 15. November 2006, 13:50: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes that's the one. The rest of the words aren't much better, either!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That must be the first time anyone's ever compared Matt Redman to Keats! [Eek!]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:

Many of us are familiar with the GK classic “I’m special”.

Sure am. I survived the singing of this recently in my church (by the church school [Roll Eyes] ) by quietly humming the Orville song to myself. Not that they're alike or anything..... [Big Grin]

And Orville, you are my very best friend.... [Snigger]

--------------------
Around and about

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh wow! You've posted! Hello. Are you online now?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The person leading the service today announced we were going to sing “Jive, Jesus Jive”. Truly a candidate for the worst variation on a song ever.

I was slightly disappointed when he announced he was having an off day, and it was actually “Shine Jesus Shine”.

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not quite a horrible hymn, but a slightly bizarre image from William Williams, Pantycelyn in a hymn we sang this morning. One line was `nofio yn gwaed [Iesu/yr Oen?]' which means `swimming in the blood [of Jesus/the lamb] (I can't quite remember the end). Somehow I found swimming in the blood even odder than washing in it. I know where the imagery comes from and at some level can cope with it, but it sounds strange if you are not familiar with the tradition.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This Sunday's Advent 3 featured Now That the Daylight Fills the Sky, with this verse:
quote:

So we, when this new day is gone
and night in turn is drawing on,
with conscience by the hours unstained,
shall praise thy name for victory gained.

It's credited "from the Latin 7th century, tr. John Mason Neale and the compilers". Those last three words usually strike terror into my heart, as it means that the hymn book committee messed with it. The book in question is the 1971 Hymn Book of the Anglican Church of Canada and the United Church of Canada.

The AABB rhyme scheme is clunky, and the sentiment reminds me too much of "God, I thank you that I am not like other men" in Luke 18:9-14. But other than that, it's fine [Biased]

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:

quote:

So we, when this new day is gone
and night in turn is drawing on,
with conscience by the hours unstained,
shall praise thy name for victory gained.

The version at Oremus seems much better:
quote:
So we, when this day's work is o'er,
and shades of night return once more,
our path of trial safely trod,
shall give the glory to our God.

I guess I like my Victorian hymns unreconstructed?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The version that you didn't like appears at Prime in the Monastic Diurnal, translated by Charles Winfred Douglas, first printed 1932, although mine is the recent reprint of the '63 edition. Thus the translation perhaps predates the compilers of the hymnal from '71. Just so that blame is directed in the right direction.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
...translated by Charles Winfred Douglas, first printed 1932, ... Thus the translation perhaps predates the compilers of the hymnal from '71. Just so that blame is directed in the right direction.

Seems like they've also mis-attributed the translation.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Callan said in Styx:

I double-dog dare TonyK and Louise to arbitrarily move two or three threads from Dead Horses to Purgatory. Or Hell.

Purgatory I think ....

So here we go......

With all due acknowledgements to all those whom I am supposed to acknowledge...

Returned from Purgatory, after a short diversion to the Circus! Off-topic posts that were added during the Hosts' and Admins' funtime will be deleted to protect the inncocent!
Comment added 27th Dec 2006

[ 27. December 2006, 14:04: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's Christ-mas. Time when bad theology in lyrics comes into its own.

We have to sing them because it's traditional to sing them. But...

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie. Still? Lots of people had made it to Bethlehem that night and there was no room anywhere, the place was chaotic. But let's not bother with the truth of the Gospel, because it's Christ-mas, a time for fucking sentimentality.

But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes Yeah, sure. And the bit about him being fully human?

Little children all must be, Mild, obedient, good as he. Except mild and obedient don't fit with the story that Jesus, aged 12, stayed in the temple and didn't return with his parents. Two days later when they find him, he tells them off.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:

But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes Yeah, sure. And the bit about him being fully human?

When I sung that carol as a child (and why does everyone make *children* sing it and never let the grown-ups at it? Sung nicely, it's beautiful) I never thought that it meant that Jesus never cried. I assumed it meant that Jesus happened not to cry when he woke on that particular occasion. (The cattle aren't always lowing, either, after all.) It's an image; an icon in words. I was quite surprised to find that most people seemed to think it meant that he never cried at all. Maybe I was just too sensible a five-year-old.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Strangely I quite like songs such as See amid the winter's snow, and In the bleak mid-winter.

Although I know the weather was unlikely to have been like that, I like the idea of making the incarnation real to people in other chimates. The theology expressed in these songs seems OK to my mind too. But when sound theology is replaced by Victorian sentimentality.

The problem with having these songs chosen for worship is what do you do? If I sing them I feel a hypocrite for singing something I don't believe, and if I refuse to sing them I feel a hypocrite for not joining in with the rest of the congregation.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On topic, one of my least favourite Christmas carols is Gardner's version of Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day. This song is, according to the words, both a love song (God's love for us) and a dance (of joy). Gardner's version is neither. It changes time impossibly often to dance to, and is far too jickety and breathless to ever evoke the feelings of love. It is foul and horrible and I loathe it.

It's even sadder because the traditional tune is beautiful and fits the words (which are also beautiful and evocative) far better. Yet no-one ever sings it. Instead, I have to tolerate this musical garbage every year in one or other of my choirs (one secular, one church), and everyone else exclaims how nice it is and how much they love it, even though no-one can do the snare-drum part. Why? Why?! WHY?!!

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

quote:

The problem with having these songs chosen for worship is what do you do? If I sing them I feel a hypocrite for singing something I don't believe, and if I refuse to sing them I feel a hypocrite for not joining in with the rest of the congregation.

I wonder about this sometimes myself, especially when the idiots who took out the sexist language[1] in our hymn book get it wrong again and ascribe properties to God that were written as man's and vice versa (thus we have God's toil availing naught or humans exalted). I generally take the view that I should sing what's written, in a gesture of assent to community worship with the rest of the congregation (unless it's an obvious typo that the rest of the congregation won't be singing anyway, like the time in For All The Saints when the countless host were supposed to stream 'through gates of pear').

Yet at the same time I know that there is a line I'd have to draw somewhere; I don't think I could sing 'O great Satan, bring evil and pain upon our world and rule over all'. I just don't think I've found that line yet.

But I do whinge about it afterwards.

[1] My response to 'sexist language' is that we shouldn't be changing what the poet wrote, but writing more (good!) hymns with feminine imagery to redress the balance.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Strangely I quite like songs such as See amid the winter's snow, and In the bleak mid-winter.

Although I know the weather was unlikely to have been like that, I like the idea of making the incarnation real to people in other chimates. The theology expressed in these songs seems OK to my mind too. But when sound theology is replaced by Victorian sentimentality.

The "bleak midwinter" has little to do with meteorology.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Puter-Guy
Apprentice
# 11703

- Posted      Profile for Puter-Guy   Email Puter-Guy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had remarked to my wife a few days ago that it really grates on me when "I could sing of your looove for-e-ver" sounds like they should be singing "I can't wait til this sooong is-o-ver"...

Why do people mindlessly mumble songs they obviously don't think about, much less mean, is beyond me. "Sing it like you mean it, or don't sing it at all" [Roll Eyes]

(3rd string backup plan worship leader at my church, I have vowed to never again sing a song I don't mean or can't understand the logic of...)

2nd biggest (after singing songs people obviously don't mean, and man is it a close 2nd) pet peeve: singing haphazardly organized songs (As if selected by randomly flipping open the song book, 6 songs that have nothing in common, conceptually or musically, save that we sing them in the same building.) [brick wall]

Song I have most come to hate hearing that is inexplicably sang in the church I attend (Only place I have ever heard it, since i don't "get" country music):Long Black Train I mean, what IS this Black Train? [Confused] [Projectile]

May you never have to endure such dreadful "Worship" "Leading" at your place of worship.

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puter-Guy:

2nd biggest (after singing songs people obviously don't mean, and man is it a close 2nd) pet peeve: singing haphazardly organized songs (As if selected by randomly flipping open the song book, 6 songs that have nothing in common, conceptually or musically, save that we sing them in the same building.) [brick wall]

I suspect your music group is larger than ours, because from time to time we have the opposite problem, that the night’s service leader has a “theme to this evening’s service”, and insists on sticking to his songs regardless of that evening’s musical line-up.

So faced with a pianist who doesn’t do modern rhythms, a classical guitarist, a flautist and a bassist, he will insist on keeping “Shine, Jesus, Shine”, “Men of Faith” or, the ultimate, “The World is Looking for a Hero”. A simple switch to anything we can play without sounding totally naff is all that’s needed, but NO! We are informed that if we don’t feel comfortable playing, it, the offending song can be sung a cappella. (He means this, seriously, not as a joke, threat or insult!)

Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

Oh, and two gems from this morning's service. The first hymn was a dreadfully condescending thing, with verses about how everybody rejected Jesus and the refrain 'O come to my heart, Lord Jesus, there is room in my heart for thee'. Oh, poor Jesus, nobody likes you – don't worry, I'll look after you. Look how good I am!

The second had the lines, addressed to Jesus:

You say that God is good;
prove it is true, Mary's child
go to your cross of wood.

Oh dear. Go on, Jesus, get crucifed, get on with it. We're waiting!

(The third hymn was In the Bleak Midwinter, which I like, but which doesn't work as the hymn immediately after a sermon whose point, if it had one at all, was that we need to move on from the sentimentality of Christmas. The fourth hymn was Angel Voices Ever Singing, only the second verse had been changed to avoid the 'songs of sinful man'. Instead, 'mortal eye can see' was rhymed with 'our poor hymnody'. While I understand, though don't agree with, the desire to remove the 'man', removing 'sinful' as well changes the meaning of the verse from 'God might not care about us because of our sin – but yes, he does, because he loves us!' to 'God might not like our singing because it's not skilful enough – but yes, he does, he doesn't seem to have that much taste'.)

--------------------

Stoker
Shipmate
# 11939

- Posted      Profile for Stoker   Email Stoker       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puter-Guy:
I had remarked to my wife a few days ago that it really grates on me when "I could sing of your looove for-e-ver" sounds like they should be singing "I can't wait til this sooong is-o-ver"...

Totally agree - me and my girlfriend exchange glances whenever this is sung - usually at the type of place where they do sing this chorus forever. I hate the "hey look - we're getting so spiritual by singing the same chorus again, again and again" attitude. What I think is really happening is people are becoming mildly hypotised by the repetition.

Could this be a new thread in purgatory?

--------------------
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hate that song, and I'm glad that in my circles it hasn't been sung for at least 2 years now. "I've been singing this song forever" was my version.

As a pianist, I usually livened it up by playing the melody line from Robbie Williams' 'Strong' along with it. You could always sing that under your breath.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really scared - this is my first ever post, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right, being not very computer-literate, and all. But I thought I'd wade in with something fairly safe. (Wait till I get going!) Anyhow, here's the first half of my favourite children's hymn found in The Scottish Hymnal from 1890 (so copyright no problem??)

Within the churchyard, side by side,
Are many long low graves;
And some have stones set over them,
On some the green grass waves.

Full many a little Christian child,
Woman, and man, lies there;
And we pass them by every time
When we go in to prayer.

They cannot hear our footsteps come,
They do not see us pass;
They cannot feel the bright warm sun
That shines upon the grass.

They do not hear when the great bell
Is ringing overhead;
They cannot rise and come to church
With us, for they are dead.

They don't make 'em like that anymore! [Roll Eyes]
(Did I get it right?)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
here's the first half of my favourite children's hymn found in The Scottish Hymnal from 1890 (so copyright no problem??)

This is wonderful - can you give us the second half please?
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Cottontail! Thank you! It's in the original Hymns Ancient and Modern too, and a schoolfriend and I used to play it on the gym piano and sing it in lugubrious tones during wet lunch breaks when we couldn't go outside.

Those are all the verses I know - I'd be SO pleased to hear some more!

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Cottontail - a very good first post!

The internet site oremus.com has an online hymnal giving words and tune for many hymns. 'Within a churchyard' is listed here though currently the links to the hymns doesn't seem to be working.

With regard to copyright, it is probably OK to quote a hymn that old in full, but we do have to take care with this. Oremus.com is very useful in these cases and cutting and pasting the link into the window opened by the URL button, adding some text, is very convenient for shipmates.

There is a UBB practice thread in the Styx Board if you want to try out this sort of thing.

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Justlooking, Margaret - thanks for your welcome. TonyK, I appreciate the advice and the link to the oremus site. I'll get the hang of this soon!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Crab
Apprentice
# 12250

- Posted      Profile for The Crab   Email The Crab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have gone through 29 pages of side splitting hilarity and it is now the small hours of Sunday on this side of the world. I hope I will stay awake in church long enough to cast a critical eye over the lyrics. I have cringed at many of the horrors mentioned, but I think none of them are a patch on the Sunday School hymn we used to sing in a Gloucestershire Independent Methodist Chapel:

Over the sea there are little brown children;
Fathers, and mothers and babies dear.
They have not heard of the dear Lord in Heaven;
They do not know that God is near.

Swift let the message go over the water, etc. It was a great favourite of the minister, who later became a missionary in Sierre Leone. The rest of us stayed at home to enjoy the influx of immigrant run curry houses into Cheltenham.

Posts: 10 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A warm welcome, Crab! Hope you enjoy this cyberplace. Fascinating "olde worlde" hymn verse - I'd never seen or heard that before. When it comes to cringe, patronising racism beats repetition every time!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by The Crab:

I've encountered that one ... cna't find it online.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember that one too, Crab! We used to think we were being so nice to the poor little children. (Mind you, even then it would have been more accurate so sing "Over the road there are little brown children" - and most of them were more dedicated churchgoers than we were!)

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Where children wade through rice fields
And watch the camel trains.
—from "Remember all the people" Hymnal 1940, #262 (See complete words to hymn.)

Is there any wonder some of us, while missing some things in the Hymnal 1940, were happy to get the Hymnal 1982.

I have sung "Remember all the people" in church once. It was the processional hymn. I was in the choir, singing with the basses.

As soon as the beginning of the second verse began, the four tenors in front of us baritones/basses—and the rector—started acting like apes. Yes, while walking in procession.

Let's just say that no one on the tail end of the procession was able to fully recover before the end of the hymn. The rector was still laughing at "Blessed be God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."

This hymn was never used again.

(Actually, I believe the tenors deserved some sort of award for saving us from that hymn being used ever again.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

While looking for the one cited (unsuccessfully) I found plenty of these "mission" or "missionary" hymns. It forces me to fall back on L.P. Hartley:
quote:
The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.

--------------------

Reuben
Shipmate
# 11361

- Posted      Profile for Reuben   Email Reuben   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to teach this one to the impressionable un-churched kiddies at Beach Mission in my youth (spell out the words separated by dashes):

quote:

I am a C
I am a C-H
I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N
And I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T and I will L-I-V-E E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y.

(repeat getting faster and faster each time until no one can sing fast enough....)

I'm not sure how many kids we converted with that song. But maybe a couple got good at spelling bees...??

I mean in hindsight, Arky Arky and Father Abraham were gems compared to this confused little ditty. Be far better to sing it in a confirmation/baptism service hey?

ps. apologies if this song has already been posted. I couldn't find it in the 29 pages above!

--------------------
"I got nothing." Barrie Unsworth

Posts: 227 | From: New South Wales | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My mother recalled singing that one as a girl at school in, er, Tottenham. Even then, there were significant numbers of (observant Christian) non-white immigrants in the area.

One which I don't think I've ever sung, but which combines racism, imperialism, and some damn funny imagery, in From Greenland's Icy Mountains, which should be sung at dirge-like speed to Aurelia for full effect:

quote:
From Greenland’s icy mountains, from India’s coral strand;
Where Afric’s sunny fountains roll down their golden sand:
From many an ancient river, from many a palmy plain,
They call us to deliver their land from error’s chain.

Afric?
Sunny fountains of sand?

Yer what?

It goes on to talk about Ceylon, 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile' - this was amended to Java, rather than Ceylon, in later versions - which at least fits the tune better.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:

My mother recalled singing that one as a girl at school in, er, Tottenham. Even then, there were significant numbers of (observant Christian) non-white immigrants in the area.

Who as they weren't overseas and were Christians obviously aren't the people the song was about. The burden of it being that those dear children who are overseas need Jesus just as much as anyone else. Thats a really crap and patronising song but it isn't racist! The racist thing to do, in the context of the times, would have been to leave them in their ignorance. NB the British government (and before them the East India Company) was in general opposed to missionary activity in most of the Empire. As, of course, were lots of slave-traders and slave-keepers. Taking Christianity to people was a way of treating them as equal, as people like yourself. And not infrequently a way of liberateing them, both economically and metaphorically. The opposite of racism.

quote:

One which I don't think I've ever sung, but which combines racism, imperialism, and some damn funny imagery, in From Greenland's Icy Mountains,

I have sung it. Its actually rather good in some ways.

quote:

Afric?
Sunny fountains of sand?

Yer what?

"Afric" is a bit of really naff 19th-century pseudo-archaic Latinised English. Its supposed to be Poetic. Itys terrible English. But its not racist. If it was would Marcus Garvey have used it?

quote:

Afric's Love

1. When Afric's sun was setting fast
The Prophets told the tale,
But Psalmists said she'd win at last
And pass beyond the vale.

Chorus:
Come sing the song of Afric's love
The love of God so dear,
The Father great in realms above,
The greatest when so near.

2. The day has come for us to see
The glory of our name,
The hour of our jubilee
Will crown our greatest fame.

3. The hand of God is showing how
Our princes shall arrive;
Old Egypt's land is throbbing now
With souls that are alive.

4. For ages past our sons were slain
On altars far and near,
But all was destined, purging pain
To point the way so fair.

5. As Israel's people suffered long,
So Afric's host must do,
But ours shall be the joyous song
By hearts most firm and true.

6. When tides of ocean cease to be,
Our joys will be immense,
For that will be our jubilee
Our faith this day commence.

And they aren't "sunny fountains of sand". They are "sunny fountains", i.e. springs or streams of fresh water with the sun shining on them as they pass over sandy beaches into the sea. Not just Poetic but arguablypoetry.

quote:

It goes on to talk about Ceylon, 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile'

OK, that is somewhat unfortunate phraseology...

[ 16. January 2007, 15:06: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies if this song has been mentioned before, but I was looking at music CDs with the Vicar, and we came across this one "Lord you put a tongue in my mouth".

Well, we played it and it was TRULY awful!

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh there was another one too, to the tune of the "hokey cokey"... truly dire...

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
[QUOTE][qb]
It goes on to talk about Ceylon, 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile'

OK, that is somewhat unfortunate phraseology...
I be that's one that proponents of the virus of political correctness won't be rushing to make geneder inclusive!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by Love the You you hide:
Apologies if this song has been mentioned before, but I was looking at music CDs with the Vicar, and we came across this one "Lord you put a tongue in my mouth".

Well, we played it and it was TRULY awful!

And if you're a teenager (or have the mind of one) it takes those 'Jesus Is My Boyfriend' songs to a whole other level!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Inside every grumpy old fart there is a teenager trying to get out.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mmmerangue
Apprentice
# 12355

- Posted      Profile for mmmerangue   Author's homepage   Email mmmerangue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Inside every grumpy old fart there is a teenager trying to get out.

Is that why they hate us so much, and call us meddling kids, and cut our allowance and make us come home by 11 on weekends?

well to them all i say "HAHA IM STILL YOUNG AND I CAN DO WHAT I LIKE, YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!" and blow rasberries in theyre general direction.

--------------------
...I have Sqandered my Existance for a pocketful of Mumbles- such are Promises, all Lies in Jest, till a Man Hears what he Wants to Hear and Disregards the rest...

Posts: 7 | From: Coldstream, Scotland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mmmerangue
Apprentice
# 12355

- Posted      Profile for mmmerangue   Author's homepage   Email mmmerangue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And i would say the song in cheeseburgers signature "the geneology of jesus" is the best hymn ever ^_^ lol!

--------------------
...I have Sqandered my Existance for a pocketful of Mumbles- such are Promises, all Lies in Jest, till a Man Hears what he Wants to Hear and Disregards the rest...

Posts: 7 | From: Coldstream, Scotland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mmmerangue:
And i would say the song in cheeseburgers signature "the geneology of jesus" is the best hymn ever ^_^ lol!

Is that because it's 100% Biblical or because it's funny?
And before you asked, it's not me but do happen to know the man responsible.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Not a Crappy Chorus but a funny moment in church yesterday. We sang Matt Redman's 'O Sacred King', with our guitarist giving his usual 4-note riff as an intro - but meanwhile the bass player was definitely playing the bassline from 'Walk On The Wild Side'. I had a hard time not to sing "doo de doo de doo do de do" ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We used to have a worship leader/guitarist who used to use riffs and intros from the shows he'd seen recently. Was fun to try and spot what and where they all were.

And [Killing me] the week after he'd been to see 'Mamma Mia'.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh - not necessarily crappy - but we have really good musos. As an intro to "There's a place where the streets shine", our guitarist used a major-key version of the intro to Free's All Right Now.

It worked.

On the crappy note - WHY does Chris Martin ALWAYS use conditional phrasing?

From "I can't wait till this song is over" - "Oh - I feel like dancing/It's foolishness I know..." Feel? FEEL like dancing - then why not dance?

I had a scan through SoF - and saw other Delirious lyrics talking about "I could"... etc...

Oh - and I was on video duty when SJS was on the playlist... and was deftly bumped... "Next one is SJS, shall we bother?" discussed the music group - as it was an either /or... I replied, verly loudly (I was mounting our second camera at the time) "NO!"

The vote was carried. SJS went into the roundfile...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
testbear
Shipmate
# 4602

- Posted      Profile for testbear     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
...Chris Martin

...Martin Smith. Easily confused, I know: one is a talented yet mild-mannered frontman specialising in mediocre mid-tempo epic sweeping indie-rock designed to appeal to as many people with no real musical taste, and the other is [insert your own punchline].

--------------------
"If you really believe what you say you believe / you wouldn't be so damn reckless with the words you speak"

Posts: 127 | From: a town where you can't smell a thing | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had that song where the chorus begins "We raise up holy hands" last night at our house group.

I had to leave the room, someone else came to see if I was OK, I explained and we had to shut the door.

Please, lyricists, think about these words. We aren't all as pure in thought, word and deed as you are.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016