homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, SS, for those of us who don't know that gem, you now have to share the words, or be responsible for the terrible (and funny) things I am imagining!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry DaisyM, I thought it had been mentioned in here but it must be in another thread. It is another of those modern songs with no discernable ending in a minor key [Snore]

Quite unaccountably, it is in a short (but growing) compilation of songs some well-meaning soul has put together for our house group singing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Understood and no problem. I didn't intend for you to have to do a major search.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My (secular) choir has been booked to sing at a wedding this weekend. One of the hymns we are to sing I had never heard before, though the rest of the choir knew it. Here are the words and tune.

Eww.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oriel:
My (secular) choir has been booked to sing at a wedding this weekend. One of the hymns we are to sing I had never heard before, though the rest of the choir knew it. Here are the words and tune.

Eww.

Um, are you sure you linked to the right page? I can't imagine "Will your anchor hold?" as a hymn at a wedding. Almost seems as if you are posting on April 1st. Although, around this neck of the woods, you wouldn't have to print the words as most everyone would know it by heart. It is a much beloved hymn and one guaranteed to be sung with lots of energy. Our verses are little bit different than the ones you have posted.

[ 11. April 2007, 20:29: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A favorite in my parish, too. A now dead parishioner (and ex-Warden and etc.) was a former Navy captain, and particularly liked that one. The Canadian book doesn't seem to have that second verse.

But it does seem odd for a wedding.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We sing that now and again. Not very often. It used to be very popular. I'd expect that most evangelicals over he age of about 60 would know it!

And anyone who had ever been in the Boy's Brigade.

Based on Hebrews 6.19

I rather like it [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
... I'd expect that most evangelicals over he age of about 60 would know it!
I rather like it [Biased]

I'm not even in my 50s, yet. I kind of miss some of those favorites from my youth.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like it too, and am not even 50 yet. Wouldn't choose it for a wedding though (But I chose 'Blest be the ties that bind' for my own wedding .... innocent days!! [Biased] )

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
<snip>
One which I don't think I've ever sung, but which combines racism, imperialism, and some damn funny imagery, in From Greenland's Icy Mountains, which should be sung at dirge-like speed to Aurelia for full effect:

quote:
From Greenland’s icy mountains, from India’s coral strand;
Where Afric’s sunny fountains roll down their golden sand:
From many an ancient river, from many a palmy plain,
They call us to deliver their land from error’s chain.

Afric?
Sunny fountains of sand?

Yer what?

It goes on to talk about Ceylon, 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile' - this was amended to Java, rather than Ceylon, in later versions - which at least fits the tune better.

T.

When I was a humble (yeah right [Disappointed] ) curate in the late '80s a glorious eccentric "spinster" lady in our faith community shuufled off this mortal blah blah blah. In her will she stipulated this should be sung at her funeral. It was - with gusto - and with suppressed guffaws. The past indeed was a different country [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Do you never watch Snogs of Praise? 'Will Your Anchor Hold?' is a staple of theirs. And to be honest, I have more doubts about the nautical soundness than the theological soundness of its lyrics. It's good enough, though, and I like the tune.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember learning that one on my gap year, working at a Brethren boarding school. That was one of the more singable, understandable ones we sang....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And anyone who had ever been in the Boy's Brigade.

Or is related to someone who was (and at a church which had BB parade services). I'm not sure I've ever come across it outside a BB context.

Not one that would immediately spring to mind for a wedding, but I don't think it's inappropriate.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Mathew
Shipmate
# 12605

- Posted      Profile for Alan Mathew   Author's homepage   Email Alan Mathew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am an organist in a large suburban Church Of Scotland Parish, and the minister's daughter is getting married very soon. We were talkin about hymns the other week! Arrghhh!!! Some of the discussions made my hair go grey!
Daughter: Mum/Dad what's that one I like at Christmas!???
Father: (Quite sarcastically) O Come all ye faithful?
Daughter: No the other one - Child in the Manger!
Mother and Father look like death warmed up at this point! I wonder why?
We still haven't chosen any hymns for definate, but Great is thy Faithfulness and Be still for the Presence are high favourites, but .....

I had to very quickly quash any suggestions for Bind us together and One more step!!!!! Both firm un-favourites of mine! Anyone else feel the same or have any similar funny stories?

--------------------
The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides!

Posts: 80 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Bind us together' and 'One more step' may be terminally naff, but at least the lyrics are a bit more suitable (one hopes) than 'Child in the manger'!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Mathew:
I had to very quickly quash any suggestions for Bind us together and One more step!!!!! Both firm un-favourites of mine! Anyone else feel the same or have any similar funny stories?

Just curiously, if you're just the organist, why does your list of un-favourites matter for their wedding? Shouldn't you just play the damn hymn/s instead of pushing them around with your personal preferences?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You don't get it, do you?

The occupation of parish organist is a ministry in itself, and one of the tasks of ministry is to instruct the ignorant, even ditzy ministers' daughters with a tin ear who wouldn't know a Christmas carol from a wedding anthem.

My erstwhile choirmaster is now organist at a cathedral church in Western Sinny,. Since his installation he has had to take more than one bride to task as to why "I just want you to touch me" or some such guff etc is just not on for the recessional. He scandalised one by telling her that if she wanted it for the reception that was fine by him and that if she couldn't think of something more fitting for the solemnity of the occasion then she had to leave it to an expert,

Good on him.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or they could provide their own organist, with a sense of humour, who can provide 'Match of the Day' and music by Wet, Wet, Wet.

(And also 'Why are we waiting?' if the bride is late).

I can put you in touch with such an organist, should you ever need one.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem!

Discussions about music/hymns chosen for a wedding (or any other service) is perfectly acceptable on this thread.

Discussion about the role of the organist is not. Heaven, Ecclesiantics or possibly Purgatory (depending on the flavour of the posts) might be appropriate Boards if you wish to pursue this topic.

Thank you

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Revd H P Stinker Pinker
Shipmate
# 10704

- Posted      Profile for The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Email The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect this hymn has been vilified before on these pages but...

I've always had a problem with I vow to thee my country and in all honesty cannot sing the first verse - I am unable to give my country "a love that asks no questions" - surely that leads to a very dangerous place.

But it seems bizarre that anyone could have it at a wedding - something I have experienced over the years.

In finding a link for the words I came across this wonderful & terrible wedding site - which even tells you were to put the hymn (I could've told them). Why is the hymn "in praise and celebration of the union"?

The website also informs us that it was sung at Princess Diana's wedding - that explains something perhaps. I wonder who's choice that was?!

Can anyone justify singing this in church, ever?

It's a pity because the tune is nice.

Stinker

--------------------
"It was a superb spectacle while it lasted, and I was able to see what people meant when they spoke of the Church Militant." P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 196 | From: within walking distance of the Drones | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revd H P Stinker Pinker:

The website also informs us that it was sung at Princess Diana's wedding - that explains something perhaps. I wonder who's choice that was?!

Can anyone justify singing this in church, ever?

It's a pity because the tune is nice.

Stinker

This hymn was also sung at Diana's funeral too. I played the tune yesterday as a prelude to our service. A couple of the old dears made some nice comments about the tune but not the words!!!

[Fixed UBB code]

[ 14. May 2007, 13:22: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pegasus

Shipmate
# 1966

- Posted      Profile for Pegasus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ve just found this absolute classic at cyber hymnal. Just too late to recommend it for this years Mothering Sunday.

We had a thread in Purg not all that long ago about "I vow to thee". Someone posted alternative lyrics, which I haven't been able to locate using google; does anyone else remember the thread?

Posts: 1207 | From: Ruritania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A slightly generalized rant/query: Why do some hymns say "Sion" and others "Zion"? For example, the version of Alleluia, Sing to Jesus in the 1970 Canadian Union Hymnal, and on Cyberhymnal How Glorious Sion's Courts Appear and other search hits such as Are All the Foes of Sion Fools? and Sion’s Daughter, Weep No More. Are the two pronounced differently?

While I'm on that topic, what about "Jehovah"? There is no such word; it's the result of reading the tetragramaton (Yahweh) with the vowel pointing for Adonai. Yet this keeps being used in hymns.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
A slightly generalized rant/query: Why do some hymns say "Sion" and others "Zion"?

Its just a spelling difference. Whats the problem with that?

Anyway our alphabet doesn't the letter the Hebrew word starts with so we have to choose something.

quote:

While I'm on that topic, what about "Jehovah"? There is no such word;

Yes there is, its been used in English for at least 700 years. How long does it take to invent a word?

quote:

it's the result of reading the tetragramaton (Yahweh) with the vowel pointing for Adonai.

Well, yes, except that that isn't the tetragramaton its another invented word based on different (and perhaps more realistic) assumptions about the original vowels. And even if we did know the original pronounciation, it is a word that no-one has used liturgically for at least the last 2500 years.

quote:

Yet this keeps being used in hymns.

And why not? What's the problem>

Should we stop saying "almighty God" and always say "El Shaddai" or whatever?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I get annoyed at 'alleluia' when the word is 'hallelujah'.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

I direct you to ken's excellent post directly above yours.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
quote:

..."Jehovah"? ...
Yet this keeps being used in hymns.

And why not? What's the problem?

Sorry, specifically, it is still being used in new hymns and songs, where it comes across (to me) as bad style.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Especially when the rest of the hymn is not in greek.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You say tomayto when I say tomahto....

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:

My word what quiet lives you must lead to get worked up about the spelling of alleluia/hallelujah in hymns. [Razz]

For the record, I prefer, alleluia, it looks more elegant - sans the H's!

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:

... and I say 'let's call the whole thing off!'

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:

My word what quiet lives you must lead to get worked up about the spelling of alleluia/hallelujah in hymns. [Razz]

For the record, I prefer, alleluia, it looks more elegant - sans the H's!

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:

... and I say 'let's call the whole thing off!'

But the Hebrew word is hallel

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revd H P Stinker Pinker:
I suspect this hymn has been vilified before on these pages but...

I've always had a problem with I vow to thee my country and in all honesty cannot sing the first verse - I am unable to give my country "a love that asks no questions" - surely that leads to a very dangerous place.

But it seems bizarre that anyone could have it at a wedding - something I have experienced over the years.

Well, the first four words at least seem appropriate to the occasion. In a similar vein it once occured to me that perhaps the best wedding hymn would be O Valiant Hearts, given what the couple had in store for them. I can't imagine any bride wanting it at her wedding though. Actually this occured to me while the bride was walking down the isle at one wedding, and it was all I could do not to burst out laughing, which I gather would have been something of a faux pas.
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if someone has already mentioned this song, but my pet hate at the moment is " I the Lord of Sea and Sky "

Lots to hate about this one (twee, sentimental, [Projectile] etc) but my particular hate is the fact that the verses are sung from God's perspective, and the chorus from "our" perspective. What is going on there? I just can't get on with singing as if I'm God. Too weird.

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have recently returned to my (evangelical CofE) church of yesteryear due to personal circumstances (well getting a divorce to be specific). Whilst there are many good things about being back there, the chorus (with actions [Disappointed] ) we sang yesterday (a lot [Eek!] ) is not one of them. Only a taste of its dreadfulness can be provided under international Human Rights legislation(!):

'I have a very big God O! He’s always by my. side; A very big God O, by my side, by my side'.

I am tempted to sing 'I am Waiting for Godot' if we ever do it again!

[ 04. June 2007, 10:29: Message edited by: Alaric the Goth ]

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have my deepest sympathy. What they did to the organ could never have good repercussions. [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently it was riddled with woodworm, so they had an excuse... For the organectomy, not for the chorus.
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Tis good to hear that it wasn't simple vandalism. But there is no possible excuse for that chorus.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately some of the worship leaders in my church rather like that one...
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by sparklylady:
...I just can't get on with singing as if I'm God.

Don't several classic hymns do that too, though?

--------------------

Mishkle
Shipmate
# 11381

- Posted      Profile for Mishkle   Email Mishkle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For some reason I think of Jesus surfing when I read these lyrics:

"He plants his footsteps in the sea,
and rides upon the storm"

Posts: 142 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sparklylady:
Don't know if someone has already mentioned this song, but my pet hate at the moment is " I the Lord of Sea and Sky "

Lots to hate about this one (twee, sentimental, [Projectile] etc) but my particular hate is the fact that the verses are sung from God's perspective, and the chorus from "our" perspective. What is going on there? I just can't get on with singing as if I'm God. Too weird.

I like it, especially the Vandals version (ignore the strange animation).

What's your problem with switching between human and vox dei mid-song; the psalmist does it all the time!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
diapason
Apprentice
# 4230

- Posted      Profile for diapason   Email diapason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:

Do you never watch Snogs of Praise? 'Will Your Anchor Hold?' is a staple of theirs. And to be honest, I have more doubts about the nautical soundness than the theological soundness of its lyrics. It's good enough, though, and I like the tune.

T.

I did in fact play this for a wedding a few weeks back. The bride was a Naval person. the congregation (mostly military by the look of the dress whites and swords etc) sang it with gusto.

[ 21. July 2007, 16:15: Message edited by: diapason ]

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Will your anchor hold' is a hymn I have always associated with the Salvation Army - I must have heard them singing it at some time.

We sang it at church 2-3 years ago when I organised a service for Sea Sunday - no-one complained, but no-one seemed particularly enthusiastic either.

A pity - I think it is a good rousing hymn!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

We had Come Ye Thankful People today, and as usual I reacted to a couple of points:

• "come to God's own temple, come" - characterizing the Christian church as the temple. God doesn't live only at the church, and I think this pseudo-theology is harmful. It makes people stay away from churches, 'cause big scary hairy Jehovah might get them.
  • "give his angels charge at last
    in the fire the tares to cast;"
    Cheerfully committing people to damnation.

--------------------

Cantiones Sacrae
Shipmate
# 12774

- Posted      Profile for Cantiones Sacrae   Email Cantiones Sacrae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We had Come Ye Thankful People today, and as usual I reacted to a couple of points:

Were you celebrating Harvest Festival in July?
Posts: 271 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Quercus
Shipmate
# 12761

- Posted      Profile for Quercus   Email Quercus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a small step away from posting a Hell thread on the BBC Songs of Praise hymnall, but I'm a newb and don't swear enough, so here'll do.

After two years, I decided yesterday that I have grown to hate that book. It's as if the compilers sat down to deliberately choose the most dreary, turgid hymns in Christendom. Maybe it should be subtitled "Even Wesley Had His Off Days, And We've Got Them All In Here". I can't blame the organist, who takes the tunes at as sprightly a pace as the wretched, dismal music allow - we had a stand-in organist once, who played everything at a funereal pace, and I felt like dragging myself weeping to the altar. I gave up even trying to sing the last one yesterday, and resorted to adding up the hymn numbers, something I only usually do to maintain basic brain-stem function during the dullest sermons.

We had hymns nos 5, 270 and 272. That's all I can remember. Can't remember the fourth, because I was surreptiously practising the reading, something particular convoluted written by Paul on one of his more linguistically acrobatic days.

I used to think I disliked Mission Praise, because of the very high chance of opening the book at random and hitting some repetitious piece of drivel, but at least there's some singable stuff in there. [brick wall]

[/rant]...that feels so much better. Ahhh... [Smile]

--------------------
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.

Posts: 321 | From: Up on a hill | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

A compilation based on this thread would make rather a good hymnbook. Then we could all gather round the church piano for a nostalgic 'Crappy Choruses and Horrible Hymns' evening (a la Moody and Sankey) every now and again.
Perhaps the Diocese of Wenchoster would be interested in hosting such an event? [Biased]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Chorister, you forgot one very important thing - the lead vocalist. Graham Kendrick maybe?

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
Originally posted by Cantiones Sacrae:

It tends to show up about the beginning of actual harvesting - hay and maize (corn). I didn't choose it, though.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cantiones Sacrae:

It tends to show up about the beginning of actual harvesting - hay and maize (corn). I didn't choose it, though.
And the interesting thing is that so far as I can see, the hymn is not about harvest thanksgiving at all. Look at the words (especially some of those Henry has highlighted). It's appropriate for the day the parable of the wheat and the tares is read -- that after all is the story behind the hymn. And for one of those days in/before ADvent when the Last Judgement is the theme.

The connection with the annual autumn harvest is, I think, a false one if you look at the hymn as a whole.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016