homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
previous page post by North East Quine a song "Jesus, You're my Superhero" which includes the line "Jesus! Better than Barbie!"
Jesus may be better than Barbie, but does he have as many cool accessories and outfits?

edit for context

[ 12. May 2008, 15:38: Message edited by: beachpsalms ]

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cardinal Pole Vault

Papal Bull
# 4193

- Posted      Profile for Cardinal Pole Vault   Author's homepage   Email Cardinal Pole Vault   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beachpsalms:
quote:
previous page post by North East Quine a song "Jesus, You're my Superhero" which includes the line "Jesus! Better than Barbie!"
Jesus may be better than Barbie, but does he have as many cool accessories and outfits?

Of course.

He was the first 'pin-up' model, afterall

--------------------
"Make tea, not war"

Posts: 986 | From: Insula Tiberina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beachpsalms:
quote:

And does he have a boyfriend called Ken?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

No, but he may have had one called John.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
I am new here but would love to share with you this treat from the old Baptist Hymn Book, as a warning against separating the subject by too many lines. 'I sing a song of the saints of God' is as you might expect about saints and trying to live up to them as good examples etc. but has as part of its second verse,

"and one was a soldier and one was a priest
and one was slain by a fierce wild beast
and there's not any reason, no not the least
why I shouldn't be one too".

Feel free to picture children in congregation deciding they'd rather not be fierce wild beasts, thanks very much.

We have parody lyrics for that one that go something like

"And one was hanged, and one was shot
And one was fried on a griddle hot
And however they died, it hurt a lot
And I want to be one, too!"

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laudate Dominum:
We’ve sung a Gloria in my parish for two or three years now which is perfectly dreadful. The chorus words, “Gloria, Gloria in excelsis Deo” are not too terrible, but the verses have mangled the official translation of this prayer. Incidentally, the Gloria was originally a chant hymn, which by definition does not have a verse-refrain structure. Just one verse after another. So, it shouldn’t have a refrain at all.
Also, the melody is horrible and rock-influenced. In fact, when it is played fast enough, it actually tempts some of the more simpleminded in the congregation to start clapping. As in, somewhat in time to the music. This is a Roman Catholic church! We don’t do that! What happened to dignity? Ok, I should stop now…

I've sung several RC settings of the Gloria in excelsis which include such a refrain (usually the opening "Glory to God in the highest, and peace to his people on earth"). I don't get why it needs that, either, but apparently the composers of RC church music don't feel their congregations are capable of learning the whole text.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
I've sung several RC settings of the Gloria in excelsis which include such a refrain (usually the opening "Glory to God in the highest, and peace to his people on earth").

Is one of those the one I'm thinking of -- in "limping" 3/4 time that reminds me of Peter Schickele's comment re P.D.Q. Bach: "Most of P.D.Q. Bach's dance music seems to suggest that one of his legs was shorter than the other."

At the 5:30 Saturday evening mass at the RC cathedral here in Phoenix, they chant the Gloria in English to what sounds like a stripped-down psalm tone, with the leader of song and congregation singing alternating verses. At least they sing. But this is all the more lamentable, since at the 11:00 Sunday morning solemn mass they chant the Gloria from the Missa de Angelis in Latin.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just heard one of the worst travesties in cheesy worship songs...

SJS in a Stock-Aitken-Waterman style. Had their trademark fast 16ths-on-hihat all over it... it just sounded scarily awful... especially when you wake up to it.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

No, but he may have had one called John.
Wrong DH thread, sir. [Biased]

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Just heard one of the worst travesties in cheesy worship songs...

SJS in a Stock-Aitken-Waterman style. Had their trademark fast 16ths-on-hihat all over it... it just sounded scarily awful... especially when you wake up to it.

I think SJS in a cathedral for Songs of Praise accompanied by organ sounds worse. Looks bad too, all those middle aged women wearing silly hats mumbling into the songsheets. At least SJS in the Stock-Aitken-Waterman style is 20th century mediocrity throughout.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ever heard of this one?

It was on a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday..
somebody touched me...
..blah, blah blah.. lots of repetition...
..... and I know it was the hand of the Lord!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, fletcher christian, how could you? I'd expunged that from my memory!

Now it's going round in my head...

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a thread 32 pages long and growing, I'll bet this collection has probably been linked several times. This has to be done on purpose--a collection of the worst and crappiest of choruses and most horrible of hymns--bar none.

Trust me, if you haven't seen, you won't get very far before deciding you've had enough.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Mama Thomas

I had completely forgotten 'Bananas for the Lord' (about the 6th in the list)
We used to sing it as students, and it amused us no end. Not sure where we found it though, as I don't recognise any of the others on the site, thankfully.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And at Springy...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....

Quercus
Shipmate
# 12761

- Posted      Profile for Quercus   Email Quercus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
In a thread 32 pages long and growing, I'll bet this collection has probably been linked several times. This has to be done on purpose--a collection of the worst and crappiest of choruses and most horrible of hymns--bar none.

Trust me, if you haven't seen, you won't get very far before deciding you've had enough.

Oh my goodness... "I believe in World War 3"? "Sin is like my stinky sox"? "Jesus died on a wooden cross/ Jesus died to save the lost/ He died for the lambs and the little fleas/ God loves me/" Are these genuine? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.

Posts: 321 | From: Up on a hill | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can see certain shipmates enjoying the 'God you're gorgeous' song ... [Biased]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Looks as though Hillsong haven't improved...

ChristiamMums thread that covers this one..

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread ... but there is a line in 'Phos hilaron' in the evening prayer service in the 1979 BCP that just makes me go 'huh?':

quote:
You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices
[Projectile]

This line sounds like something one would sing in vacation Bible school or something. It scans badly and really wrecks it for me.

It is especially tin-eared because the words in the rest of the hymn are truly beautiful.

WTF??

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread ... but there is a line in 'Phos hilaron' in the evening prayer service in the 1979 BCP that just makes me go 'huh?':

quote:
[Projectile]

This line sounds like something one would sing in vacation Bible school or something. It scans badly and really wrecks it for me.

It is especially tin-eared because the words in the rest of the hymn are truly beautiful.

WTF??

Other translations of the hymn use "pious voices", or "voices of praise", or "voices lifted in fitting melody". Whenever we've used the Phos hilaron, we've substituted "pious" for "happy"--it's not great, but it is an improvement.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know the piece at all, but how about 'joyful' instead?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

matthew_dixon
Shipmate
# 12278

- Posted      Profile for matthew_dixon   Author's homepage   Email matthew_dixon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay - has anyone mentioned "Here I Am To Worship" yet? That's my personal pet hate at present.

The start of the chorus...

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my God

is okay... but when it goes on...

You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful to me

Why "altogether" everything? Doesn't make sense. How can someone be "altogether wonderful"? "Altogether worthy"? What of?!? As for "You're altogether lovely" - a friend of mine and fellow shipmate referred to this line once as "something I'd say to my boyfriend and not to my saviour"

"I'll neve know how much it costs to see my sin upon that cross" is similarly dreadful lyrics!

Posts: 321 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was the lovely that finished that chorus off for me, not that I was enthusiastic to start with. Lovely is something I can and do say very sarcastically at moments.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At our Shrove Tuesday dinner, we sang the dreaded "In the Garden" hymn.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/g/itgarden.htm

I'll think I'll sing that at my blessing ceremony with my partner.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is not to my taste either - but we are all different and some, many will find that speaks to their condition - and the imagery is scriptural - the Song of Songs.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by matthew_dixon:
Okay - has anyone mentioned "Here I Am To Worship" yet? That's my personal pet hate at present.

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down

You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy

Why "altogether" everything? Doesn't make sense. How can someone be "altogether wonderful"? "Altogether worthy"? What of?!? As for "You're altogether lovely" - a friend of mine and fellow shipmate referred to this line once as "something I'd say to my boyfriend and not to my saviour"

"I'll neve know how much it costs to see my sin upon that cross" is similarly dreadful lyrics!

'Altogether lovely' sounds quite a normal expression to me, out of context of church - though perhaps a bit poetic and old-fashioned. But in the song, it always makes me thinnk of Terry Pratchett's multiple-personality character Altogether Andrews ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Another member of our worship team has a problem with the song 'Lord your name is holy'. The second verse is 'Lord your name is mighty', and you're never quite sure which verse the worship leader is going into - so she ends up singing 'Lord your name is Moly' a lot. (Personally, I think God's more like Badger if anything. [Biased] )

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago I got dragged along to Kingdom Faith, and learnt a delightful (?) chorus where the first verse began "Jesus has all authority in this place" and the second, "Satan has no authority in this place".
I don't need to tell you what happened after a few runs of this one. The hilarious thing was that no-one else appeared to notice.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:

quote:

It's even in Rite I!: "Thou art worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices." What were they thinking? I think someone must have had a little seizure or something at that point.

Always been "joyful" for me. After all, we are supposed to "rejoice always," but no one says we have to be happy.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy R
Shipmate
# 14391

- Posted      Profile for Freddy R   Email Freddy R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about this one, sung to the tune of "There's a Tavern in the Town":

Jesus loves me, this I know
This I know
'Cause the Bible tells me so,
Tells me so -o- -o- -o-.
He's my saviour,
I -I- am his lamb.
Yes, by Jesus Christ, I am!

Sung at fraternity parties.

--------------------
The night is dark and I am far from home/ Lead Thou me on.

Posts: 107 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy R:
How about this one, sung to the tune of "There's a Tavern in the Town":

This I know
'Cause the Bible tells me so,
Tells me so -o- -o- -o-.
He's my saviour,
I -I- am his lamb.
Yes, by Jesus Christ, I am!

Sung at fraternity parties.

No, no!! That is an old Sunday-school favourite which goes:

For the bible tells me so
Little ones to him belong
We are weak, but he is strong

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
The bible tells me so

The tune is a suitably sentimental victorian melody of the mid-century. I believe both hymn and music are of American origin

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Good parody on writing worship songs...

Linky

briony
Apprentice
# 14671

- Posted      Profile for briony   Email briony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I discovered this site a couple of years ago and drop in occasionally. However, a song we sang in church last Sunday has prompted me to register and share it all with you. It has plumbed new depths of Christian songwriting and I can't see that it's ever been mentioned on here. Having noticed in someone's earlier message that I can't post all the lyrics, here is a taster:

I will dance
I will sing
To be mad
For my King

Chorus:
And I'll become
Even more undignified than this
Some may say
It's foolishness
But I'll become
Leave my pride
By my side

La, la, la, la, la, HEY!
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, HEY!
La, la, la, la, la

I'm sure you can imagine the "actions" and "dancing" that accompanied this. And we had a lot of parents from the guides, cubs etc who aren't usually in the church. Believe me, they won't be coming back after that & I'm not sure I will either. Never been so embarassed...

Posts: 5 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by briony:
I discovered this site a couple of years ago and drop in occasionally. However, a song we sang in church last Sunday has prompted me to register and share it all with you. It has plumbed new depths of Christian songwriting and I can't see that it's ever been mentioned on here. Having noticed in someone's earlier message that I can't post all the lyrics, here is a taster:

I will dance
I will sing
To be mad
For my King

Chorus:
And I'll become
Some may say
It's foolishness
But I'll become
Leave my pride
By my side

La, la, la, la, la, HEY!
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, HEY!
La, la, la, la, la

I'm sure you can imagine the "actions" and "dancing" that accompanied this. And we had a lot of parents from the guides, cubs etc who aren't usually in the church. Believe me, they won't be coming back after that & I'm not sure I will either. Never been so embarassed...

I somehow suspect that even the Blessed Matt of Watford is a bit embarassed about having written it! Ah, the exuberance of youth!

[ 25. March 2009, 13:08: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
briony
Apprentice
# 14671

- Posted      Profile for briony   Email briony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to have been written by someone called David Crowder.
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It seems to have been written by someone called David Crowder.

I think it's usually attributed to Matt Redman, though Dave Crowder and a load of other "Lead worshippers" (thanks, Barnabas) have covered it.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, Briony.

I am an over-intellectualised and jaded anglo-catholic whose taste in church music is very, very conservative. So you'd expect the song you quoted to make me cringe. I don't know it but I have some sympathy for its sentiments as we are called to be fools for Christ and I find that if i do let go of my hang-ups, usually in a church where nobody knows me, it does me the world of good.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
briony
Apprentice
# 14671

Aha, I do apologise. I've now found it attributed to Matt Redman, though the website I found last night definitely said "lyrics by David Crowder". Wrong! As you've probably realised I haven't yet worked out how to use the "quote" function on here! On other message boards there's normally a reply button on each message but I can't see how to do it here.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Aha, I do apologise. I've now found it attributed to Matt Redman, though the website I found last night definitely said "lyrics by David Crowder". Wrong! As you've probably realised I haven't yet worked out how to use the "quote" function on here! On other message boards there's normally a reply button on each message but I can't see how to do it here.

Just click the little one with the " ".

I hate to admit this, but I have had a blast with this song. This is not your "Sunday morning opening hymn" material and it never will be. Context is everything. Think, youth group, large youth gathering with a big band, late at night on a bus with teens, etc.

It might help you to think of times when you would sing any of the following with gusto: "Found a Peanut" or "Ninety Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall" or "Down by the Bay" or "Quarter Master's Store". If you are with a church group, then this song might be sung.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
briony
Apprentice
# 14671

[/qb][/QUOTE]Just click the little one with the " ". [/QB][/QUOTE]

Looks so obvious once you've had it pointed out to you!

briony
Apprentice
# 14671

quote:

Looks so obvious once you've had it pointed out to you! [/QB]

And yet I still haven't quite got it! Maybe this one will be right!
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by matthew_dixon:

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down

You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy

Maybe some of the song writers we are criticising know a little more Scripture than some of us here.

The phrase 'altogether lovely is part of the description of the Lover in the Song of Songs, which of course, is a source of a number of phrases that describe Christ and the Church.

here

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
The phrase 'altogether lovely is part of the description of the Lover in the Song of Songs, which of course, is a source of a number of phrases that describe Christ and the Church.

But isn't that the point?

There are some big assumptions in the song writing, namely:

1. The use of Elizabethan language is appropriate for contemporary songs.

2. That S of S is an allegory of Christ and the Church.

My guess is that both of those assumptions are up for debate.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:

He's the Fairest of Ten Thousand
He's the Lily of the Valley
His Banner over me is Love

Just three phrases that come out of the Son.

I think it's perfectly appropriate when God calls Israel his bride, his wife, his lover.

If ever I speak of Jesus in these terms, I don't however, use 'boyfriend' language. If Jesus is 'altogether lovely' it's in the context of his nature and character - his soul is gentle and kind, his words bring peace, his attitude towards sinners is gracious, his actions speak of courage and determination: all these things are 'altogether lovely'.

I would never try to equate Jesus with a 'lover' and suggest somehow that he's a 'fit bloke'.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:

Though "altogether" in the sense that it is used in "Here I am to worship" has never seemed to me to be anachronistic. To say that something is "altogether a good thing" would feel quite natural to me.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Though "altogether" in the sense that it is used in "Here I am to worship" has never seemed to me to be anachronistic. To say that something is "altogether a good thing" would feel quite natural to me.

True - it was more the other examples cited by Mudfrog I had in mind.

I quite like the song myself.

What I loved most was when the CD came out. Because this was his most famous song at the time it was also used as the title for the album.

Some inspired designer managed to come up with the title at the top (Here I am to worship) with the artist's name at the bottom (Tim Hughes) - priceless! [Two face]

(In order to spell out the visual pun: the only words on the sleeve were Here I am to worship ... Tim Hughes [Disappointed] )

A major faux pas and it all it needed was to reverse the order of title and artist.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have I missed it, or have we really had 30 or so pages without mention of "This is the air I breathe" and "Hungry"?

We shall deal with them individually.

1. This is the air I breathe.
In the "length of song" divided by "amount said" stakes, this ranks fairly low on the list. Not that every song has to do a full-blown "summary of all of salvation theology in 3 minutes", a la Stuart Townend, but, if I'm going to invest that much of my time in something, I like it to... y'know... say something. And all that 'I-i-i-i-i' stuff as well. [Disappointed]

2. Hungry ('Hungry. I come to you, for I know. You satisfy.')
Another low-scorer in the calculation above, this is also (I find) quite difficult to sing, in both the musical sense and the trying-to-be-at-least-vaguely-honest sense. Now, I know that there are plenty of hymns where we couldn't honestly say that we mean every word we're singing at any given moment, but I do believe there is some merit in at least setting forth an ideal to which we aspire, and therefore I don't mind too much. But this one is just so... over the top... all that repetition... and the 'I'm doing this, that and the other for you'. [brick wall]

And I have only recently discovered the full version of 'Our God is an awesome God', having previously thought it consisted entirely of what (I have now realised) is just the chorus. [Eek!]

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

I understand 'This is the air I breathe' was written out of someone's personal trauma (loss of a child, I think?) and as such, could be very moving. But for me, most Sundays, I can't really sing 'I'm desperate for You' with any honesty. (Not that I've sung it for years now - I hoped it had gone away!)

As for 'Hungry', I don't mind it, except 'Off-ER-ing all of me' which sounds very odd.

(ETA: agree about the 'Awesome God' verses too. Rich Mullins on an off-day, I'm afraid.)

[ 14. April 2009, 07:29: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I understand 'This is the air I breathe' was written out of someone's personal trauma (loss of a child, I think?) and as such, could be very moving. But for me, most Sundays, I can't really sing 'I'm desperate for You' with any honesty. (Not that I've sung it for years now - I hoped it had gone away!)

That makes more sense - but it clearly shows that it wasn't meant for congregational singing on a fine morning in June.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The anoraks amongst you will be fascinated to see CCLI's Top 25s. There aren't many surprises. Or maybe there are.

The rest of you will I'm sure be happy to move right along.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Few surprises to me, and they're in the schools section. I thought I knew every song possible for schools, but obviously not! I shall have to go a-hunting.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016