homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Am I going blind, or has the Gamaliel/Greatest Day thing come in from somewhere else?

Yes, see here. Seasick made a hostly request for the tangent to come onto this thread.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post 
Greatest Day's a cracker. Shows how traditional ideas can inspire contemporary creativity.
Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, thanks.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The one I remember as being the very worst seems to have been slightly modified in recent years. It's called:

Oh come and mourn with me awhile

It has a terrible verse about sitting under the cross while
'The blood falls gently on me
Drop by drop'

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My friend just reminded me about the hymn to Mary which contains the deathless lines:

The sun is shining brightly
And all the world is gay
For 'tis the month of Mary
The loveerlee month of May.

--------------------
Edith

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
The one I remember as being the very worst seems to have been slightly modified in recent years. It's called:

Oh come and mourn with me awhile

It has a terrible verse about sitting under the cross while
'The blood falls gently on me
Drop by drop'

Reminds me of John Betjeman's An Eighteenth Century Calvinistic Hymn - which was at least meant as a parody!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

I think this one was by Father Faber. He wrote heaps and seemed to be obsessed by blood and suffering.

--------------------
Edith

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, tho' to be fair, and to his great credit, he did also write There's a Wideness in God's Mercy

[ 16. April 2012, 13:50: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today we sang that dreadful chorus "Take Me Jesus, I can come no other way". Was made even more dire as I had to play it!! Nice tune though.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

I've never heard of that one. Amazing. Please type out the chorus, it must rival the 'all the world is gay' one I mentioned above.

--------------------
Edith

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've never heard of that one. Amazing. Please type out the chorus, it must rival the 'all the world is gay' one I mentioned above.

Jesus take me as I am
I can come no other way
Take me deeper into You
Kame my flesh melt away.....etc

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

Wow! That's impressive. I thought I'd heard some amazing lines in my time but that tops the lot!

--------------------
Edith

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oi! I have a soft spot for that song (no sniggering at the back).

Admittedly:

- one has to turn the gain right down on the smut channel
- it should never, ever, ever be played on the organ (I heard that! I said no sniggering!)

However, used in the right context and with the right instrumentation, it can be a very effective, prayerful little song. Even if I do have to chant "To the pure all things are pure" for 20 minutes first.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just discovered the joys of the "in Memoriam" column in the local paper. Maybe some of the "poems" it contains should be set to music??
My favourite lines last week were from a memorial poem for the person's deceased mother's birthday:
"Look out for Jesus,
He's coming soon,
With all our best wishes
And a big bunch of balloons"

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

We had another of Fr Faber's best last Sunday

Oh purest of creatures...

V 5 is really dreadful.

What made him so obsessed

--------------------
Edith

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

V 5 is really dreadful.

Can you provide a link? I'd hate to miss out on something so dreadful.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

I'm afraid I'm ICT challenged but if you type in eHymnBooks.org on google you can type in the first line and it will give you the full text.

--------------------
Edith

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please tell me my eyes are deceiving me. There can't really be a book out there called The Children's Hymnal and Sodality Manual ? [Killing me]
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently so...

Though, possibly as it was published in 1869, maybe not in current use.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

V 5 is really dreadful.

Can you provide a link? I'd hate to miss out on something so dreadful.
It is here

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really don't think this is the worst Marian hymn I've seen, sorry!

The worst I've ever sung is thankfully nowhere on the web as far as I can tell. The first verse if I recall begins Mother Eve was walking in the garden, so they say, and the unforgettable chorus (I only heard it once when I was 17, and it has haunted me ever since) begins
You are my Star, my Star of the Sea,
over the ocean beckon to me....

If I ever find a copy I'll post it, promise. Then I'll burn it. Even if it isn't mine....

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

That sounds a bit like Hail Queen of Heaven only worse.
I remember my father telling me that many years ago, in the 50s I think, there was a visit to the parish by the bishop. The choir began to sing the above mentioned hymn (it was May, after all) and his Lordship stopped mid aisle and said 'I am the the Lord Bishop of Nottingham, not the Queen of Heaven'.

--------------------
Edith

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That reminds me of when we processed out of the vestry to the opening hymn, 'Who are these like stars appearing'. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Oferyas:
I really don't think this is the worst Marian hymn I've seen, sorry!

The worst I've ever sung is thankfully nowhere on the web as far as I can tell. The first verse if I recall begins Mother Eve was walking in the garden, so they say, and the unforgettable chorus (I only heard it once when I was 17, and it has haunted me ever since) begins
You are my Star, my Star of the Sea,
over the ocean beckon to me....

If I ever find a copy I'll post it, promise. Then I'll burn it. Even if it isn't mine....

Just reading those words brings to mind guitars and jumpers and Scouse or Mancunian accents and the Mass setting they seem to use at my brother's (RC) parish church which I always think of as 'The Spinners in C'.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the C of E in the town where I was born they sing something like:

• God Rules, OK!
    No other Gods, no way!
    He is the Boss, He is the King!
    He is the Lord of Everything!

Even a google search couldn't find this song (can't think why!)

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Indeed, tho' to be fair, and to his great credit, he did also write There's a Wideness in God's Mercy

To me that hymn will always be "There's a Wideness in God's Trousers". Probably just me.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
I've just discovered the joys of the "in Memoriam" column in the local paper. Maybe some of the "poems" it contains should be set to music??
My favourite lines last week were from a memorial poem for the person's deceased mother's birthday:
"Look out for Jesus,
He's coming soon,
With all our best wishes
And a big bunch of balloons"

Lo, the Lord shall come in triumph and glory upon the earth. And He shall stand before all peoples of the earth and shall say:
"Behold, I have come to bring the Kingdom to completion and to complete the New Creation! All things are made new! And I've brought balloons!"

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

To me that hymn will always be "There's a Wideness in God's Trousers". Probably just me.
I really love that song! Except for the sickening last line:

And our lives would be all sunshine
In the sweetness of our Lord.

Every verse has great meaning and holds power for me, but that last bit reminds me of a Shirley Temple parody.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hostly Message...

Many of you will be aware that the Ship Board software has thrown a bit if a wobbly recently.

It looks as thought this thread has suffered - Page 1 has duplicated the 50(?) most current posts!

Rather than have the Admins waste their time trying to resolve it, Louise and I have agreed to close it herewith. It won't be removed - just in case anyone has a burning (if improbable) desire to read it again.

Should there be a need, please start a new thread on this subject.

Thank you

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016