homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crappy Choruses & Horrible Hymns redux
Punkijellybean
Apprentice
# 4390

- Posted      Profile for Punkijellybean   Author's homepage   Email Punkijellybean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks, TonyK! I long for the day when ranks are long forgotten, and irrelevant (except on the Ship, of course, O worthy Shipmate). [Not worthy!]

Anyone know what the line "I tried the broken cisterns, Lord, but oh, the waters failed", is about? I kid you not. The hymn starts "O Christ in thee my soul have found....the peace, the joy", etc, etc. A good start, but downhill thereon after.
Seems like we now have cyclist hymns, and plumbers'anthems. Any other vocational specials??

--------------------
Punkijellybean

Posts: 10 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Newman's Own wrote:

"Now, with my favourite thread having stimulated some far away memories, I shall reveal a hymn I heard once - at a pentecostal service, where the lady who'd dragged me there had done so because she thought I 'had demons.' An attractive young couple, clearly from the States though I would know which part, sang a sort of 'folk rock' song, of which the following words remain in my memory. (No, I have not been drinking.)

The Lord Jesus, he done done,
He done done what He said He'd do.

The verses all were "He done (done whatever, it changed with each), he done done, etc." "

I laughed so much at this - I imagine the demons were similarly entertained - and at lots of other strands on this thread, especially about songs with actions. A few weeks ago in my Church the 'worship leader' did 'The Lord's Prayer' with actions. Unfortunately I missed this as I had to leave the service early; it might have made a half decent post. I know we have to appeal to children but....

--------------------
Protestant head? Catholic Heart?

http://joansbitsandpieces.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about this really cringeworthy children's song that I recall from the sixties:

Don't have a face like a coffeepot
Coffeepots are tall and thin
Got to have a face like a teapot
Other souls for Jesus win!

(complete with silly actions).

I mean what is that all about [Confused]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

- Posted      Profile for Caver   Email Caver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:

All right, old timers, who remembers this 60s gem (for which the melody reminded me of some sort of old film about American Indians.)

We are one in the Spirit,
We are one in the Lord,
We are one in the Spirit,
We are one in the Lord,
And we pray that all unity shall one day be restored.

Refrain:
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,
Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

The 60's? I didn't encounter that until the late 80's!

--------------------
Quote from Annie Day "Could be interested, picking people up on the way down." Now that never happens to me underground :-(

Posts: 104 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
diapason
Apprentice
# 4230

- Posted      Profile for diapason   Email diapason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vocational special: the Roofer's Hymn

Who through this weary pilgrimage / Has stole our father's lead...

I've always liked the plumber's hymn - the rest of that grotesque verse gives a few clues - "they" I take it refers to rest and happiness in the previous verse, but then again maybe not:

I tried the broken cisterns Lord,
But, ah, the waters failed:
Even as I stooped to drink they fled,
And mocked me as I wailed.

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone remember a song, dreadful in itself, which was all the more annoying because there seemed to be a requirement that those performing it sing in high, squeaky voices, all tones 'through the nose'? (Come to think of it, that was standard for 99% of 1960s - 70s 'folk groups.')

I am not sure I remember the words correctly, but they were very close to:

Everyone moved by the Spirit,
Shall live in the kingdom of God,
Shall live in the kingdom of God.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CrossedTheTiber
Apprentice
# 4542

- Posted      Profile for CrossedTheTiber   Email CrossedTheTiber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm new and I know this thread is old, but I kept reading all of your posts and laughing my head off. I remember a "delightful" song from childhood that went...

"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart." (I thought of the post about the five "grows".)

But the most idiotic part was the second or third verse that says:

"So, if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack."

What is THAT supposed to mean? I guess it relegates our Christian arsenal against pure evil, to sundries from the hardware store.

Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

- Posted      Profile for Caver   Email Caver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrossedTheTiber:
I'm new and I know this thread is old, but I kept reading all of your posts and laughing my head off. I remember a "delightful" song from childhood that went...

"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart." (I thought of the post about the five "grows".)

In that case, welcome to SOF, although I'm afraid you are not likely to be noticed down here in Dead Horses.

Yes, I remember that one. Did you have somebody join in with "Where?" after you had sung the first line as well so you had to repeat it? Fortunately I think the consensus was that it was tacky enough without singing about tacks.

We have a song that I think even the music group has finally realised is better not sung if they want to escape church alive. It is a childrens song about waking up in the morning and being so excited to go to school that (in the chorus) they go 'boing, boing, boing, boing, boing, boing' ... etc. [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Sorry I have no intention of giving this song the dignity of having its words reproduced. I should also add that it has an irritating tune that you can't get rid of for days after hearing it.

--------------------
Quote from Annie Day "Could be interested, picking people up on the way down." Now that never happens to me underground :-(

CrossedTheTiber
Apprentice
# 4542

- Posted      Profile for CrossedTheTiber   Email CrossedTheTiber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I just remembered, we did have a "Where" part!

Fortunately for me, I am not familiar with the "boing, boing, boing" song. :0)

As for not getting noticed down here in the "basement", that's suits me just fine. I'm new and just trying to take it all in.

BTW, I love your comment about changing your name due to it sounding like a part number. Very clever.

Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Crossed TheTiber - and may I give you a hostly welcome to our Ship!

I'm sure you will already have read them, but can I just remind you about our 10 Commandments (link on the left) and the introduction to each board which sets the scene, as it were.

Poke around the Ship a bit, check out the other boards (which tend to be a bit more relevant than Dead Horses!)and have fun.

As an Apprentice you will, of course, expect to have the worst jobs to do - so expect to be given a virtual mop and bucket with which to clean the virtual decks [Wink] .

Once you have made 50 posts (only 48 to go) promotion to Sipmate follows, with all the additional (virtual) privileges.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
...promotion to Sipmate follows...

For all your virtual sipping, check out the Gin thread in MW [Big Grin]

(Sorry Tony, I couldn't resist [Wink] )

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bother!! And I used Preview Post and fixed two other typos too!

Can't get the staff any more [Wink]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am laughing all the more on this page - and deeply grateful that providence did not place me anywhere that required I hear the 'boing song.' However, one element of my own life that made me sad all these years now (referencing the odd contribution above - I'd certainly never heard that song) now may have a shred of hope. I do have a face like a teapot...

Does anyone remember the following gem? Whoever sang this one tended to seem as if s/he were on drugs (and probably was, considering the era.) The tune was a bit eerie.

"The Spirit of God
Rests upon me.
The Spirit of God consecrates me.
The Spirit of God bids me go forth to proclaim his peace, his joy."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Caver
Shipmate
# 4392

quote:
Originally posted by Caver:
It is a childrens song about waking up in the morning and being so excited to go to school that (in the chorus) they go 'boing, boing, boing, boing, boing, boing' ... etc. [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Oh, I forgot to add. It has actions too. I'm sure you can guess, but when you are sat behind a group of older ladies who feel that they have to join in for their grandchildren and look as if they are in a mosh pit ... [Killing me]

--------------------

Celsti
Shipmate
# 4523

- Posted      Profile for Celsti   Email Celsti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make a waaaaay through the desert
Make a waaay through the storm
Make a waaaay when there is no way
My God will make a way...

Unfortunately this always makes me think of bag-snatchers, as in, "He made away with my purse." And what does it really mean??
[Smile]

--------------------
Gunwog gumwam gore gadum, Nuda beiwud nadug, manedjare wengi, nuda ganmargmanbun. Mark 1:11, Gunwinggu.

Posts: 787 | From: the beyonderland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Here is a gem which I heard the first time on Pentecost - and sincerely hope to never hear again. It's title was "Enemy of Apathy," and it took me a moment to realise it dealt with the Holy Spirit.

She sits like a bird, brooding on the waters,
Hovering on the chaos of the world's first day;
She sighs and she sings, mothering creation,
Waiting to give birth to all the Word will say.
(This reminded me strongly of the Gnostic Sophia!)

She wings over earth, resting where she wishes,
Lighting close at hand or soaring through the skies,
She nests in the womb, welcoming each wonder,
Nourishing potential hidden in our eyes.

She dances in fire, startling her spectators,
Waking tongues of ecstasy where dumbness reigned.
She weans and inspires all whose hearts are open,
Nor can she be captured, silenced or restrained.

For she is the Spirit, one with God in essence,
Gifted by the saviour in eternal love,
She is the key, opening the scriptures,
Enemy of apathy and heavenly dove.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Here is a gem which I heard the first time on Pentecost - and sincerely hope to never hear again. It's title was "Enemy of Apathy," and it took me a moment to realise it dealt with the Holy Spirit.

She sits like a bird, ...

Interesting. At first I thought it was Gordon Light (et al - Common Cup Company) "She flies on", under a different title. But it's definitely not.

( She flies on may make an appearance somewhere in this thread. Personally I like it, but when the pacing is off, it's been known as "She drags on")

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It reminds me of 'She flies like a bird
In the Sky-y-y-y-y'
Formerly a pop song, but evermore printed in my brain as a Nimble hot air balloon.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dorothea
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember it well, Chorister..."...and I wish that she was mine......I can't let Maggie go'

Elizabeth...that's a cracker...what sort of congregation would sing a hymn/song like that???

--------------------

Glenn Oldham
Shipmate
# 47

- Posted      Profile for Glenn Oldham   Author's homepage   Email Glenn Oldham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Punkijellybean:

Anyone know what the line "I tried the broken cisterns, Lord, but oh, the waters failed", is about? I kid you not. The hymn starts "O Christ in thee my soul have found....the peace, the joy", etc, etc. A good start, but downhill thereon after.
Seems like we now have cyclist hymns, and plumbers'anthems. Any other vocational specials??

It is almost certainly a reference to Jeremiah 2:13 "for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water." These would be cisterns hewn from rock to hold water for drinking rather than toliet cisterns. So instead of a fountain of living water they would rather have still stagnant water in a cistern that rturns out to be broken anyway.

If I were a butterfly I'd thank you Lord by singing a chorus in which I would tell you that if I were a human being I'd thank you Lord by singing a chorus in which I would tell you that ... etc etc etc

Glenn

Posts: 910 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

quote:
Originally posted by dorothea:
Elizabeth...that's a cracker...what sort of congregation would sing a hymn/song like that???

I heard it at Saint Alban's, Margravine Road, Fulham (West London.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's THE CLASSIC...

"I'm special because God has loved me
For He gave the best thing that He had to save me
His own son Jesus crucified to take the blame for all the bad things I have done
Thank You Jesus
Thank You Lord
For loving me so much
I know I don't deserve anything
Help me feel your love right now
To know deep in my heart
That I'm your special friend"

Jethuth ith my teddy bear!!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts off terrable and gets worse...

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's actually another song I want to put up...but I can't find my Songs of Fellowship and it's not in Mission Praise...watch this space...

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well just tell us how it starts and someone will dredge it up from the stygian depths of their mind.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
A seasonal one from the English Hymnal, not crappy - just hilarious.

Saint Joseph stood beside the cradle
and embraced the Holy Child,
Then he knelt upon the sod..........

Thank you so much! [Killing me] [Waterworks]
Laughing out loud in the office is such a giveaway!!

[ 07. July 2003, 14:21: Message edited by: Son of a preacherman ]

Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I lift you high
and bow down low
How high can You be?
How low can I go?

This a Matt Redman song.

I don't have a problem with the sentiments, is just the words are really trite. It's the "low/go" rhyme that's just too simple and obvious. And the effect is made worse with multiple repetitions...which you get if you use this as a chorus...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"How low can I go?".....this might be the theme song for the Jensen Bros!
Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reminds me of a church I know who had a middle of the road vicar followed by an Anglo-Catholic, followed by a charismatic! I used to sing the old song for them:

"So high, you can't get over it
So low, you can'at get under it" ...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Though it is not a religious song per se, the quasi-religious elements (and misuse of the scripture quotations) in Paul Stookey's "Wedding Song" qualify it for inclusion here. It was not until this week, when a musician friend told me of requests for its use at weddings (I had hoped that long died out!), that I remembered the ghastly text.

As just one example: "The union of your spirit here has caused him to remain, for whenever two or more of you are gathered in his name, there is love..." We therefore have a bizarre picture of a God who has no existence of his own, but can be conjured - I suppose God can materialise, rather like a genie when one rubs the lamp, by people having sex.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Though it is not a religious song per se, the quasi-religious elements (and misuse of the scripture quotations) in Paul Stookey's "Wedding Song" qualify it for inclusion here. It was not until this week, when a musician friend told me of requests for its use at weddings (I had hoped that long died out!), that I remembered the ghastly text.

As just one example: "The union of your spirit here has caused him to remain, for whenever two or more of you are gathered in his name, there is love..." We therefore have a bizarre picture of a God who has no existence of his own, but can be conjured - I suppose God can materialise, rather like a genie when one rubs the lamp, by people having sex.

Horrid piece of drivel! No, sadly, the use of it hasn't gone out, at least not on the Western side of the pond. Very common among RCs here. Thank God all my friends are already married [Projectile]

How about:
"We Thank you God for Bodies Strong" from the Canadian joint Anglican/United Hymnal of the late 70s? Vile garbage from a generally vile book, and it included the line thanking God:
"and for this sacrament of sex that recreates our kind."

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Who remembers this one?

"Alleluia, I want to sing all about it,
Alleluia, I want to shout all about it,
Alleluia, I can't live without it, praise God,
Praise Go-o-o-o-D!
Now we're living in a new creation,
Now we're drinking at the well of salvation,
Now there is no condemnation,
Praise God, praise God, praise God."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am new here but would love to share with you this treat from the old Baptist Hymn Book, as a warning against separating the subject by too many lines. 'I sing a song of the saints of God' is as you might expect about saints and trying to live up to them as good examples etc. but has as part of its second verse,

"and one was a soldier and one was a priest
and one was slain by a fierce wild beast
and there's not any reason, no not the least
why I shouldn't be one too".

Feel free to picture children in congregation deciding they'd rather not be fierce wild beasts, thanks very much.

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Welcome aboard, Boopy.

I'm sure you will already have read the Ship's 10 Commandments (link in blue panel on left) and will have noted the guidelines at the start of each Board.

Wander through the Boards and have fun!

Allow me to present you with your virtual mop and bucket, decks for the swabbing of! It's what all apprentices have to do!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

dorothea
# 4398

Newman's Own wrote:
quote:
Who remembers this one?

"Alleluia, I want to sing all about it,
Alleluia, I want to shout all about it,
Alleluia, I can't live without it, praise God,
Praise Go-o-o-o-D!
Now we're living in a new creation,
Now we're drinking at the well of salvation,
Now there is no condemnation,
Praise God, praise God, praise God."

No, but did it have a good tune? I could imagine that with a stonking gospel tune this might pass muster. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

One of the most unfortunate parts of posting on a board is that one can never do justice to how dreadful these songs were without including the horrid melodies. [Big Grin] I personally believe that, when the charismatic movement in mainline churches was popular (1970s), someone or other (with minimal musical gifts) was told to produce a hymnal full of original songs over the course of perhaps 2 days.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
'I sing a song of the saints of God' is as you might expect about saints and trying to live up to them as good examples etc. but has as part of its second verse,

I remember that! Not sure where from, School I guess.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember there was one song, called something like 'give thanks with a grateful heart' which had the same tune as the Ambrosia creamed rice* advert. I could never sing that song with a straight face!

*which is made in these parts. Devon only knows how it tastes so good [Wink]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Give Thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the holy one
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ His Son (2x)

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say "I am rich"
Because of what the Lord has done for us.(2x)
And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say "I am rich"
Becuse He's given Jesus Christ His Son.

Give Thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the holy one
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ His Son
Give thanks

The memories of High School Youth Group...

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The tune is that pop song "Go West" - Erasure or one of that crowd I seem to recall.

It was pinched by the advert, and inadvertently seems to resemble the tune of the chorus.

Well, the words were hardly worth making a new tune up for, were they?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone recall those 70s/early 80s choruses with inept reference to God and bodily parts? There's that fave that begins

Pierce my ear, O Lord

(while-u-wait?)

and another whose first line is

Lord, you have put a tongue in my mouth..

[Projectile]

Could these be from Sounds of Living Waters? (known to me as Sounds of Slushy Puddles), remembered by many I'm sure. V popular in about 1980 youth groups.....oh those embarrassing memories.

Boopy

dorothea
# 4398

Karl wrote (about the Ambrosia Rice tune):

quote:
The tune is that pop song "Go West" - Erasure or one of that crowd I seem to recall.

If my memory serves me, 'Go West' was orginally recorded by The Village People in the 80's and revamped by the Pet Shop Boys in the 90's. Don't know anything about the origins of the tune but am tickled pink to think someone used it for a hymn. [Killing me]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Pierce my ear, O Lord

[...]

Could these be from Sounds of Living Waters?

Not in SLW. I've only seen it in "Songs of Fellowship".

The worst chorus of all time perhaps.

I've never heard it sung & don't want to.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am new here but would love to share with you this treat from the old Baptist Hymn Book, as a warning against separating the subject by too many lines. 'I sing a song of the saints of God' is as you might expect about saints and trying to live up to them as good examples etc. but has as part of its second verse,

Feel free to picture children in congregation deciding they'd rather not be fierce wild beasts, thanks very much.

Welcome, Boopy! That song's in a Baptist hymnal? I'm amazed! It seems so... Anglican -- I guess that's my bias because the lyrics are British-English not US-English (e.g., "I mean to be one too"). I'm a cradle Episcopalian who grew up with this hymn and yes, the "fierce wild beast" line did make an impression on me as a child; I'm not aware of any other children's hymn that introduces the fact of martyrdom, however briefly. But -- the biggest impression the hymn had on me, and has to this day, is the final line: "But the saints of God are just folk like me, and I mean to be one too." As a little kid, saints can seem too distant, plastic, and perfect. This hymn stressed their humanity; and when, as an adult, I grew to understand the "communion of saints," this song's simple theology provided the foundation.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welcome, Boopy! That song's in a Baptist hymnal? I'm amazed! It seems so... Anglican -- I guess that's my bias because the lyrics are British-English not US-English (e.g., "I mean to be one too").
Don't forget that we do have Baptists in England too!! Its not just the Anglican church over here.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

Mmm....this one's definitely English Baptist which is a very different tradition from American Baptist.

I Sing a Song of the Saints of God is no 259 in the old Baptist Hymn Book (1962) - there's a more recent hymnal called Baptist Praise and Worship. It's early 20th Century and was written believe it or not by Lesbia Scott. There must be different versions of the words, though, as mine ends with 'For the saints of God began just like me, and I mean to be one too'. (Just after the bit about meeting saints 'in church or in trains or in shops or at tea'......!

Boopy

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Mmm....this one's definitely English Baptist which is a very different tradition from American Baptist.

I Sing a Song of the Saints of God is no 259 in the old Baptist Hymn Book (1962) - there's a more recent hymnal called Baptist Praise and Worship. It's early 20th Century and was written believe it or not by Lesbia Scott.

I've just found it in my "Baptist Praise and Worship" (first published 1991).

quote:
And one was a doctor and one was a queen
and one was a shepherdess on the green:
they were all of them saints; and I mean
God helping, to be one too.

A quick trip to MW should show plenty in category 2, I think. [Wink]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Insomniac
Shipmate
# 4121

- Posted      Profile for Insomniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
quote:

I lift you high
and bow down low
How high can You be?
How low can I go?

This a Matt Redman song.

I don't have a problem with the sentiments, is just the words are really trite. It's the "low/go" rhyme that's just too simple and obvious. And the effect is made worse with multiple repetitions...which you get if you use this as a chorus...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes at this one - although personally I find the fact that I am the one deciding Jesus' status a bit difficult (If I lift you high...it will ultimately make little difference to the fact that you are God Almighty the Creator of all things and I couldn't 'lift' you a fraction of a millimetre even if I wanted to)
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We sang a song at church this Sunday where the second verse began

"I'm going to zoom, zoom, zoom
Around the room, room, room"

Thankfully I was playing the flute, and so I didn't actually have to read any more of the lyrics, and I guess the kids enjoyed pretending to be aeroplanes, but still....

All the best,

Rachel.

[ 21. July 2003, 11:53: Message edited by: the famous rachel ]

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

Welcome, Boopy, and thank you for the marvellous laugh you gave me!

Adding to the 'dreadful' category, there was one very tedious hymn which a friend of mine who was an organist (educated at Oxford, no less) used to constantly use for Communion at funerals. I don't know its origin. The melody dragged and was very monotonous. I cannot recall all of the words, but, as I recall, they were something like this. (As with the hymn Boopy quoted, I don't profess to understand it!):

Refrain:
Come and drink from the fountain of my life
Says the Lord.
And my gift shall become a spring
Of eternal life.

Verses:
Water I place in the wilderness
And rivers in the wild
For my chosen to drink and to praise me
I, their Lord.

Sinners shall hunger and thirst
But my servants shall have their fill
They shall sing for joy of heart
To their God.

The chosen, a marching hero,
Shall stride forth in victory
In the streams of the fullness of Yahweh
(cannot remember the rest.)

The same organist friend liked another hymn that was another drag:

Refrain:
You satisfy the hungry heart,
With gifts of finest wheat,
Come, give to us, O Saving Lord.
The bread of life to eat.

As when the shepherd calls his sheep,
They know and heed his voice,
So when you call your family, Lord,
We follow and rejoice.

With joyful lips, we sing to you
Our praise and gratitude,
That you should count us worthy, Lord,
To share this heavenly food.

Is not the cup we bless and share
The blood of Christ outpoured?
Do not one cup, one loaf declare
Our oneness in the Lord?

I may as well end my little tribute to my friend (who, sadly, died a few years ago at 50) with a quasi folk melody he used to have his boy choir sing - I hated this one most of all.

The Lord Jesus
After eating with his friends
Washed their feet and said to them
Do you know what I your Lord have done for you?
I have given you example
That so you also should do.

[ 21. July 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Newman's Own ]

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Oriel
Shipmate
# 748

- Posted      Profile for Oriel   Author's homepage   Email Oriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sauerkraut:
I will make one last gasp with Beethoven's Ode to Joy (Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee). I am fighting a loosing cause. [brick wall]

There is a hymn I have sung a couple of times to the tune of "Ode To Joy". The words go something like "Praise the Lord for times and seasons, cloud and sunshine, sun and rain" and continue on in a similarly banal way for four verses. Moreover, in each verse the first two lines are repeated as the last two lines. What, did you run out of ideas for things to praise God for? Or were you just really determined to use Ode to Joy?

Moreover, Ode to Joy is actually not that good to sing a hymn to. The theme is (dare I say it) dull, and Beethoven's 9th is good because of all the exciting stuff he does with it in the variations. Which, of course, in a hymn in verse format, you don't get to do. So you get four repeats of this dull tune, with worse words. Hmm... Maybe I should just strike up with the soprano part from the soloists variation sometime and see what happens?

The worst of it is that if you take out the repetition of the first two lines, you can sing it to any number of decent tunes.

--------------------
Unlike the link previously in my sig, I actually update my Livejournal from time to time.

Posts: 796 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016