homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New York the 6th state to extend marriage to same-sex couples (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New York the 6th state to extend marriage to same-sex couples
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doing my happy dance!
Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I loooooooove New York! LOL.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah,I know this doesn't make for much of a discussion, but all I can add is Hallelujah.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Empire State Building has been lit in rainbow colors to celebrate!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! [Yipee]

The report I saw said there is no residentary clause, so does this mean same sex couples can come from another state and still have their marriage recognised in their home state?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 25 years we are going to look back and say, "Well, duh." But we're not there yet. So yay! for each step along the way.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Wow! [Yipee]

The report I saw said there is no residentary clause, so does this mean same sex couples can come from another state and still have their marriage recognised in their home state?

Huia

IANAL, but I think it would be up to the home state whether or not to recogzine marriages performed in New York. But like I say, IANAL.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think recognition is always up to the other jurisdiction. My understanding was that before now, New York was one of a couple of states that already did recognise same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, even though NY didn't perform them itself.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
The Empire State Building has been lit in rainbow colors to celebrate!

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Yes, I think recognition is always up to the other jurisdiction. My understanding was that before now, New York was one of a couple of states that already did recognise same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, even though NY didn't perform them itself.

Actually not quite. The general rule based on the Constitution was that states had to recognize each other's actions (full faith and credit, Article IV section 1
quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
However the "Defense of Marriage Act" passed by Congress allows states not to recognize same sex marriages and required the Federal government not to recognize them. These are being challenged in the courts.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember folks like Peter Beinart arguing that the New York Supreme Court did the state's gays a favor by upholding the anti-same-sex marriage law five years ago? Because unless such laws were reversed by the legislature rather than being overturned by the judiciary they'd provoke a powerful popular backlash, like in neighboring Massachusetts! Of course, no such backlash occurred and Massachusetts never seriously considered reversing itself. So five years later here we are.

Maybe folks like Beinart should stop "advocating" for gay rights.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it time for Polygamists, Polyandrists, and other Combinationists to have their right recognised?
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Oh-So-Holy-Orthodox™ on Facebook are in apoplexy. My other "liberal" Orthodox friends seem to think I'm the only one who can hold the barricades. Guys, just clicking "like" on my posts isn't enough! I need some support!

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I sent you a facebook friend request, Mousethief, I will be glad to support your posts.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Isn't it time for Polygamists, Polyandrists, and other Combinationists to have their right recognised?

From the perspective of current U.S. law that's a different question entirely. Same-sex marriage is a question of franchise (who can participate) while polygamy, etc. are questions of structure (what is being participated in). To analogize from property law, the former is like saying that married women can own property in their own name (i.e. a change that allows wider participation in the current property law structure), while the latter would like enacting some form of entailment (i.e. changing the structure of property law).

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I shouldn't think anybody who called themself a Biblical Christian should have any problem with polygamy. It's far, far, far, far, far more biblical than the one-man-one-woman thing.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The Oh-So-Holy-Orthodox™ on Facebook are in apoplexy. My other "liberal" Orthodox friends seem to think I'm the only one who can hold the barricades. Guys, just clicking "like" on my posts isn't enough! I need some support!

I can't post on the discussion where you've been active. Either that or I'm looking at the wrong thing.

But kudos for your efforts!

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yeah it's mostly posts on this one Greek bishop's wall. He's a good egg. Geeze Louise, the blistering spite is just incredible. The delicious (if it weren't so horrid) irony of one of the arch homophobes talking about gay "hatemongers." Puh-leeze.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia has a great quote from a few years ago in Greece:

quote:
"Many clerics declared their opposition, but the spokesman of the Primate of the Church of Greece said that people who marry "outside the church ... can do what they want".
Smart man there. A pity so few prominent clergy understand the difference between religious and civil marriage. And I understand the New York law makes it crystal clear that no church is going to be forced against its will to provide marriage to those nasty infectious homosexuals.

[ 26. June 2011, 00:12: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
quote:

Actually not quite. The general rule based on the Constitution was that states had to recognize each other's actions (full faith and credit, Article IV section 1
quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
However the "Defense of Marriage Act" passed by Congress allows states not to recognize same sex marriages and required the Federal government not to recognize them. These are being challenged in the courts.

Ah okay. Thank you. I hadn't realised that DOMA was part of the reason that States had the option whether to recognise each other's marriages or not.

It makes for very pretty maps on Wikipedia, doesn't it?

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Smart man there. A pity so few prominent clergy understand the difference between religious and civil marriage. And I understand the New York law makes it crystal clear that no church is going to be forced against its will to provide marriage to those nasty infectious homosexuals.

This whole thing is really ridiculous. Does the state force the Catholic Church to marry divorced people?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Good grief; will people ever grow up about this, I wonder....?

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah it's mostly posts on this one Greek bishop's wall. He's a good egg. Geeze Louise, the blistering spite is just incredible. The delicious (if it weren't so horrid) irony of one of the arch homophobes talking about gay "hatemongers." Puh-leeze.

Yeah, I don't think most of us can chime in unless we "friend" the Bishop.

That Teresa chick is a piece of work. Feel free to quote this Lutheran girl by name: "My desire to face God with a clear conscience is exactly what motivates me to be an activist for my gay brothers and sisters."

And I fuckin' mean it. It boggles me that some people can't parse that, whether they agree with me or not.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hadn't realised that DOMA was part of the reason that States had the option whether to recognise each other's marriages or not.

It makes for very pretty maps on Wikipedia, doesn't it?

States have to recognize marriages between a male and female homo sapiens that take place in another state (barring the usual rules applying across state boundaries about consent) and they have to recognize divorces that take place in other states. They have the option because of DOMA of not recognizing marriages between homo sapiens of the same sex (though for some people determining what sex they are can be tricky [e.g., someone with XY chromosomes but appears female] and states have different rules on that also).

I do like SVG maps, if done right, they are very easy to update.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks everybody. We should probably try not to import stuff from FB to here. Not to play Junior Host or anything. Sorry I started it.

Excellent comments:

TubaMirum: " Does the state force the Catholic Church to marry divorced people?"

Kelly: "My desire to face God with a clear conscience is exactly what motivates me to be an activist for my gay brothers and sisters."

There are so many things I like about the Ship. [Smile]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
quote:

This whole thing is really ridiculous. Does the state force the Catholic Church to marry divorced people?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Good grief; will people ever grow up about this, I wonder....?

This seems to be where the conservatives are trying to shift the argument. In Canada, the Conservative government has basically accepted gay marriage as a done deal, but there was some talk for a while of the government introducing legislation specifically protecting the rights of churches not to perform same-sex marriages if they don't want to. I don't think that bill was ever introduced, since churches already had the right to marry or not marry as they saw fit, but it was something being pushed by the right wing.

link

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stetson and Net Spinster thanks for your answers. As a citizen of a tiny country with a centralised government (New Zealand) I find the ways the States interact quite fascinating.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Federations. Lawyers die younger in them, or at least lose their hair faster.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IIRC, when Queen Frederika was told that a new bishop was a pederast, she replied "I thought they all were". Perhaps not all, but theenqiries which led to the reforms at Mt Athos in the eighties showed that many monks were gay.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This seems to be where the conservatives are trying to shift the argument. In Canada, the Conservative government has basically accepted gay marriage as a done deal, but there was some talk for a while of the government introducing legislation specifically protecting the rights of churches not to perform same-sex marriages if they don't want to. I don't think that bill was ever introduced, since churches already had the right to marry or not marry as they saw fit, but it was something being pushed by the right wing.

link

Thanks for the link.

I think it's an attempt at a face-saving parting shot, in fact; they know they've lost the fight over this (because they don't really have any sort of good argument) but need to get in one more dig as they go out....

[ 26. June 2011, 12:25: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

Ah. Here's the answer (my bold):

quote:
The amendment that was passed stated that barring access to same-sex ceremonies, or failing to provide services for them, would not “result in any state or local government action to penalize, withhold benefits, or discriminate against such religious corporation, benevolent order, a not-for-profit corporation operated, supervised or controlled by a religious corporation.”

The amendment also included protections for “any employee thereof being managed, directed or supervised by or in conjunction with a religious corporation, benevolent order or a not-for-profit corporation.” And it included similar protections for clergy who declined to perform same-sex ceremonies.

Finally, the legislation contained what is known as an inseverability clause. If a court found any part of the act to be invalid, the entire legislation would also be invalid. The clause is an important provision to Republicans because it means that the marriage legislation would be at risk if the religious exemptions were successfully challenged in court.

So in fact, they are still fighting the fight....

[ 26. June 2011, 12:43: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

orfeo

# 13878

Wow. An INseverability clause.

That is... I'm sorry, but coming from a system where severability clauses are quite commonly used as a constitutional safeguard, the idea of an inseverability clause just seems like the most perverse form of childish law-making imaginable.

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Wow. An INseverability clause.

That is... I'm sorry, but coming from a system where severability clauses are quite commonly used as a constitutional safeguard, the idea of an inseverability clause just seems like the most perverse form of childish law-making imaginable.

The language about discrimination "against such religious corporation, benevolent order, a not-for-profit corporation operated, supervised or controlled by a religious corporation" makes me think they are looking at cases like the Ocean Grove (NJ) Camp Meeting Association lawsuit:

quote:
The state Division on Civil Rights ruled Sunday a lesbian couple can move forward with a discrimination complaint against Ocean Grove for refusing to let them use an oceanfront pavilion for a civil union.

Since the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association regularly offered the pavilion to the broader public, it was bound by the state Law Against Discrimination from barring civil unions, division director J. Frank Vespa-Papaleo ruled. Because its action was voluntary, he added, use of the discrimination statute does not impair the association's "free exercise of religion."

So this is a direct challenge to any such future action. IOW, they're saying, "don't try this again - or we'll torpedo same-sex marriage."

I wonder if this is unconstitutional! Would be interesting to see....

[ 26. June 2011, 14:18: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The language about discrimination "against such religious corporation, benevolent order, a not-for-profit corporation operated, supervised or controlled by a religious corporation" makes me think they are looking at cases like the Ocean Grove (NJ) Camp Meeting Association lawsuit:

quote:
The state Division on Civil Rights ruled Sunday a lesbian couple can move forward with a discrimination complaint against Ocean Grove for refusing to let them use an oceanfront pavilion for a civil union.

Since the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association regularly offered the pavilion to the broader public, it was bound by the state Law Against Discrimination from barring civil unions, division director J. Frank Vespa-Papaleo ruled. Because its action was voluntary, he added, use of the discrimination statute does not impair the association's "free exercise of religion."

So this is a direct challenge to any such future action. IOW, they're saying, "don't try this again - or we'll torpedo same-sex marriage."

I wonder if this is unconstitutional! Would be interesting to see....

This won't have any affect on cases that don't involve the NY marriage law specifically, though I don't doubt the GOP may try this with other future legislation. The only reason it was successfully inserted in this particular piece of legislation was it was the only way to guarantee it's passage, otherwise gay and lesbian couples would still be waiting for the right to marry in NY. There may come a day when this particular piece of legislation can be replaced, but that day probably won't come until more states pass laws enabling gay marriage than bar it.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:

I was wondering the same. I note in the Ocean Grove case the pavilion in question was explicitly open to the general public since the camp association wanted to receive real estate tax exemptions; it was not forced to be a public accommodation but if it so chose, it couldn't discriminate (note this was not an exemption as a church and not all non-profits that own land in New Jersey are exempt from tax on their land). Ocean Grove is an odd place anyway, the camp association owns all the property in the community and leases land to the residents (all 4,000+); both couples wanting to get a civil union were residents of Ocean Grove. I think the camp association's board is self perpetuating not elected and all members must be Methodist.

BTW up until about 1980 no driving was allowed in the community on Sundays and this was enforced. The camp association lost that lawsuit.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

IIRC, when Queen Frederika was told that a new bishop was a pederast, she replied "I thought they all were". Perhaps not all, but theenqiries which led to the reforms at Mt Athos in the eighties showed that many monks were gay.
Just for the record, pederasty (otherwise known as paedophilia), is not the same thing as homosexuality.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OED definitions show the very clear difference between pederasty and paedophilia. Pederasty is buggery; paedophilia is sexual attraction to children of either sex.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
The OED definitions show the very clear difference between pederasty and paedophilia. Pederasty is buggery; paedophilia is sexual attraction to children of either sex.

I would think that, given the similarity of the words and the high possibility/probability of their being confused, it would be wise to avoid the word "pederasty" altogether.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
quote:

I would think that, given the similarity of the words and the high possibility/probability of their being confused, it would be wise to avoid the word "pederasty" altogether.
My 1984 Webster's defines pederasty as "sodomy between males, especially between a man and a boy". My late 90s Longmans(which is supposed to be British English) defines "paederast" as "a man who has sex with a boy".

So yes, I'd say the connotation of pedophilia is QUITE strong. I suspect this originates from the days of classical learning, when homosexuality was strongly associated with the ancient Greeks and their catamites etc.

[ 26. June 2011, 22:47: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Collins English Dictionary gives pederasty as
quote:
Homosexual relations between men and boys
(My emphasis.)

The word has its roots in the ancient greek practice of adult men having sex with adolescent boys. When I was taught about classical civilisation I was told it was considered effeminate for them to accept anal sex, and they were more likely to engage in intercrual sex.

Frankly, I don't care about the technical detail of the act - I care that the lie of a link between homosexuality and child abuse is not perpetuated deliberately or by poor word choice.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Crossposted.

The word root is from greek for boy + greek for sexual love.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the etomology is no doubt true.

But as there are no under-18s (under-16s? -- where is Squiggle Andrew when you need him to tell us exactly) on Mt Athos, its use in that context suggests a different connotation in this case.

John
John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It was the conjoined - all clergy have sex with boys (reported slander) - being equated to - many monks are gay - that I was objecting to. As not being the same thing, not morally equivalent.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
Frankly, I don't care about the technical detail of the act - I care that the lie of a link between homosexuality and child abuse is not perpetuated deliberately or by poor word choice.

A few comments:

1. I have never equated homosexuality with paedophilia. Nothing in my posts could lead to that conclusion.

2. I have not made a poor word choice. My use of pederasty and paedophilia is supported by the authority of the OED and Macquarie.

3. I do not know what authority Collins dictionary has.

4. The quote from Queen Frederika comes from an article by Leslie Fiedler in Encounter. It was that quote which used "pederasty".

[ 27. June 2011, 10:24: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And one further comment - interesting (in some respects) though this search for word definitions and origins may be ...

it is quite a big tangent from the OP!

Let's get back on track, please.

Thank you

Yours aye ... TonyK
Host, Dead Horses

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Well, New York's mainline religious authorities are taking a disappointing but not unexpected position on the issue.

quote:
Religious leaders slammed the state's new gay marriage law on Saturday, vowing to ban politicians who supported the measure from any Catholic church and parochial school events.

The city's top Catholic clergy released strongly worded statements in the hours after the state Senate voted 33-29 to legalize gay unions.

Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, of the diocese of Brooklyn, called on all Catholic schools to reject any honor bestowed upon them by Gov. Cuomo, who played a pivotal role in getting the bill passed.

He further asked all pastors and principals to "not invite any state legislator to speak or be present at any parish or school celebration."

"This is a further erosion of the real understanding of marriage," DiMarzio told the Daily News. "The state should not be concerned about regulating affection."

First, I'm pretty sure that this exclusion doesn't apply to any politician passing or revising New York's divorce law, so that seems a bit inconsistent. Second, since when is "regulating affection" the appropriate job of the Catholic Church?

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As I'm not friends with the Bishop (and not sure I wish to be!), it's a bit difficult to post a comment.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

What Bishop Di Marzio does not recognise is that "marriage" has various consequences. It is not purely a religious concept. What the legislature has done is to provide to same-sex couples the same civil consequences of a marriage ceremony as flow to heterosexual couples. Nothing more, nothing less. The legislature has clearly said that no person may be compelled to perform a same-sex marriage if that is against conscience. What's the good Bishop's problem?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
What's the good Bishop's problem?

In short, he doesn't like gays and has decided that his personal distaste should have legal consequences for others.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

As I'm not friends with the Bishop (and not sure I wish to be!), it's a bit difficult to post a comment.
hosting

Can I remind people not to import matters from other boards/websites onto these boards? I didn't post previously because Mousethief remembered and corrected himself. But just in case anyone is in doubt about official policy, please don't import arguments from your facebooktwitblogwhatever here! [Big Grin]

cheers,
Louise
Dead Horses Host
hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Re The Ocean Grove case: it's fairly obvious that they were in the business of hiring pavilions, not in the business of conducting marriage services.

If you're in the business of hiring pavilions to all comers (ie not just 'members' or some similar category), it's not really any of your business what the pavilion is going to be used for so long as the pavilion isn't going to be physically damaged by the use.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that someone would jump to conclusions and think 'OMG they're going to make us conduct same-sex marriages', but the two situations are easily distinguished and I think courts would quite happily do so.

[ 28. June 2011, 03:23: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016