homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eat fast food for Jesus (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eat fast food for Jesus
catthefat
Shipmate
# 8586

- Posted      Profile for catthefat   Email catthefat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/us-news-blog/2012/aug/01/chick-fil-a-appreciation-day
I am truly amazed by this.
What on earth is it all about?
What has eating high fat, low fibre fast food got to do with Christianity? I mean, if it were bread and fishes I might understand.

Posts: 143 | From: nottingham uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've clearly done their homework on this -- drawn up some venn diagrams and spotted a significant demographic intersection of religious fundamentalists ∩ fat idiots too stupid to see they're being targeted by a crass marketing campaign. I've never heard of Chick Fil A, but I appreciate the inclusion of the Wendy's pic among the commentaries. That's a place I can recognise and avoid.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted elsewhere about gluttony being rated a long way down the sin ladder. Are we providing feature writers with leads?

eta: Drunkenness too: Visit Cheltenham during the March racing festival. It isn't exactly a Father Jack convention, but it's a pilgrimage for some.

[ 02. August 2012, 12:14: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Disappointed] Now everyone has heard of their horrible brand [Disappointed]

So, It worked!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a theory that a lot of social activism these days is done out of facebook spite. I knew plenty of people who wouldn't eat at that restaurant because of its conservative politics before the CEO went and made his franchisees cringe by pissing off half of America. But then he opens his mouth, and my facebook feed explodes with newly minted activists who want you to know that they are not going to eat any more chicken sandwiches (never mind that most of them didn't eat there all that often in the first place- it was just rather convenient that their inaction could become a moral stand). But as happens whenever a social movement gets turned into a million memes and someEcards that get plastered all over facebook, people on the other side who ordinarily wouldn't have gone out of their way to eat there get mad, and go there out of spite.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catthefat:

Chick-fil-a recently went on record as officially, as a company, being against gay marriage. When the original statement was made, lots of people who disagree with Dan Cathy's statement were calling for a boycott of Chick-fil-a.

Some people believe that it is a Christian's duty to be anti gay marriage. Some such people want to show their support for the announcement by visiting an establishment with policies like this.

[ 02. August 2012, 13:57: Message edited by: Amorya ]

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by catthefat:

Chick-fil-a recently went on record as officially, as a company, being against gay marriage. When the original statement was made, lots of people who disagree with Dan Cathy's statement were calling for a boycott of Chick-fil-a.
Well, it's not so much about Dan Cathy's statements as about the revelation that Chick-fil-A (which sounds like an euphemism for pegging) has been bankrolling groups like the Family Research Council (considered a hate group by the SPLC), which actively works to harm gays and gay families through the political process.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is huge here, with long lines outside all the outlets. I didn't even know we had this chain in our area!

The issue for the people I've talked to is the effort to stamp out the restaurant chain just becuase the owner gave an opinion.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

The issue for the people I've talked to is the effort to stamp out the restaurant chain just becuase the owner gave an opinion.

Businesses are boycotted all the time - that's kind of a consumer right - to choose who you seek to do business with.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the best thing that can happen to you is to be busted by the liberal thought police.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's hope that they all die from the extra calories.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

Businesses are boycotted all the time - that's kind of a consumer right - to choose who you seek to do business with.
Yes they do. It is a perfectly normal thing.

What got people going in my area is the statements of government officials, quoted in the links given above:
quote:
At least four Democratic officials in three major northern U.S. cities spoke against Cathy's views, some essentially telling the Atlanta-based restaurant chain not to try to expand in their cities.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told the Boston Herald last week he doesn't want Chick-fil-A in his city. The company is considering opening a location there.

"Chick-fil-A doesn't belong in Boston. You can't have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population," he said.

Menino also wrote to the company, urging Chick-fil-A officials to "back out of your plans to locate in Boston."

Philadelphia City Councilman James Kenney sent a letter to Cathy, telling him to "take a hike and take your intolerance with you" and vowing to introduce a resolution at the next council meeting condemning the company.

These are typical of the kind of things that get people to protest and boycott. So it's nothing that unusual but it is still pretty notable.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Sometimes the best thing that can happen to you is to be busted by the liberal thought police.

My guess is that this is false, at least in this case. It seems considerably more likely that the show of support will last for a few days, while folks who hold a grudge can do so for years.

I think this is part of why corporations ought to have to reveal their political activity in general. Fictional people ought to have less say in politics than real people, and corporations are using this anonymous crap to manipulate the marketplace of ideas the same way they manipulate buying habits. It is a danger to democracy, and if they aren't even willing to be known for their intrusion into governance, they shouldn't get any say at all.

It is precisely the threat to their commerce that is the only control on their manipulations. It appears that the SCOTUS recognizes that and is on-board with the idea of requiring actions of this sort in the public square to be publicly traceable. Good on them.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
[qb] Sometimes the best thing that can happen to you is to be busted by the liberal thought police.

My guess is that this is false, at least in this case.
It depends on whether or not the Chic-Fil-A dude becomes a leading poster child for the liberal hypocrisy that rears its ugly head on a routine basis.

The dude has an opinion. So what? So does Ben and Jerry. The real question is whether or not you like Chic-Fil-A sandwiches and/or Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It depends on whether or not the Chic-Fil-A dude becomes a leading poster child for the liberal hypocrisy that rears its ugly head on a routine basis.

The dude has an opinion. So what?

The "so what" comes from the fact that the corporate entity he represents is funnelling money to hate groups like the Family Research Council and grifters like Exodus International. These are organizations that seek to do real harm to people. There are a lot of ways I could describe not wanting to contribute to groups doing active harm to others, but "hypocrisy" isn't a word that comes to mind.

In a sideshow of this whole circus, the Jim Henson company has decided it doesn't want to be associated with Chick-fil-A anymore (apparently there was a line of Muppet-based promotional toys). Chick-fil-A has responded by calling it a "recall" and implying that the toys are dangerous. Way to stay classy, guys!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, I think there is a difference between having/expressing an opinion and using your money to further its political progress.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The dude has an opinion. So what? So does Ben and Jerry. The real question is whether or not you like Chic-Fil-A sandwiches and/or Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

I seriously doubt that you are that unsophisticated. I'm confident that Ben and Jerry aren't. The plain fact is that most folks define themselves through their purchases. That is the very essence of consumerism.

This may be dismaying to Christians (and perhaps a legitimate basis for boycotting any company that insists on providing anything more than a product for a price -- anyone up for an Apple boycott?), but it is central to most companies' marketing strategies -- buy an overpriced mobile phone, and we'll throw in an identity at no extra charge...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
The plain fact is that most folks define themselves through their purchases.

I could see maybe two of my three daughters thinking that when they were teenagers.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
quote:

I could see maybe two of my three daughters thinking that when they were teenagers.
Try chatting about cars with a BMW owner.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's shocking about it?

Some people used not just economic muscle but political power to try and damage a business because the CEO has the temerity to express an opinion that, outside political elites, is actually quite widely held.

Those who agree with him try to support the business. It's democracy in action, what's the biggie? It only doesn't happen in the UK because evangelicals aren't a big enough market share for anybody to care.

I like the idea of buying loads of Chick-fil-A and sharing it with people who can't afford it as a more genuinely Christian response. But still, I like it.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where is the hypocrisy?

quote:

People make all sorts of consumer choices for all sorts of reasons - not always to do with superiority of the product. That's the market economy, deal with it.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:

Some people used not just economic muscle but political power to try and damage a business because the CEO has the temerity to express an opinion that, outside political elites, is actually quite widely held.

This is what saddens me. That such views are so widely held. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm too lazy to read Leviticus, but is eating fried chicken even kosher?

Would Jesus, upstanding Jewish boy, even eat at Chick-Fil-A's?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get the hypocrisy either.

No one has told Chick-Fil-A that they don't have a right to hold a corporate opinion. No one has advocated putting the CEO in jail for saying what he said. Even those eastern mayors can't actually bar them from setting up restaurants in their cities (though they may not be on hand to cut the ribbon.) No one has advocating infringing on Chick-Fil-A's so-called "free speech" rights.

But free speech works in both directions. Gay activists, liberals, and many Christians and even conservatives have every right to critique Chick-Fil-A's position on gay rights, spend their money elsewhere and advocate that others do the same.

So how exactly is it hypocritical? The Southern Baptists boycotted Ford and Disney for many years for being too gay friendly. Does that make conservatives and Christians hypocritical too? Or does it mean that groups can organize and protest the actions of other groups in a free society?

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some people used not just economic muscle but political power to try and damage a business because the CEO has the temerity to express an opinion that

The CEO doesn't just express an opinion. He donates millions of dollars to groups that raison d'être is to marginalize a portion of the population. He is using his political power to suppress others himself.

Substitute "African Americans" for "gays" and "KKK" for "Family Research Council" and see how it feels.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
Substitute "African Americans" for "gays" and "KKK" for "Family Research Council" and see how it feels.

Well, more like the White Citizens Councils, which used laws and the regulatory apparatus to suppress African Americans, than the Kluxers, who used terrorism.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Point taken.

To quote from a friend:

quote:
1. Two organizations that work very hard to roll back any protections that [gay people] may have are the Family Research Council and the Marriage & Family Foundation. For example, the Family Research council leadership has officially stated that same-gender-loving behavior should be criminalized in this country. They draw their pay, in part, from the donations of companies like Chick-Fil-A. Both groups have also done “missionary” work abroad that served to strengthen and promote criminalization of same-sex relations. Chick-Fil-A has given roughly $5M to these organizations to support their work. Chick-Fil-A’s money comes from the profits they make when you purchase their products.

2. This isn’t about mutual tolerance because there’s nothing mutual about it. If we agree to disagree on this issue, you walk away a full member of this society and I don’t. There is no “live and let live” on this issue because Dan Cathy is spending millions to very specifically NOT let me live. I’m not trying to do that to him.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

And to follow up on that second point: If the day ever comes when gay people organize and donate money to organizations that seek to invalidate Dan Cathy's marriage, criminalize what he does in the bedroom and remove job, housing and other protections because of his self identity, then let's talk about the hypocrisy. But I don't see that happening.

[ 02. August 2012, 16:50: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
And to follow up on that second point: If the day ever comes when gay people organize and donate money to organizations that seek to invalidate Dan Cathy's marriage, criminalize what he does in the bedroom and remove job, housing and other protections because of his self identity, then let's talk about the hypocrisy. But I don't see that happening.

But the proper analog to working against sexual freedom for a conservative is working to take away their tax breaks...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Possibly to conservatives who like non sequiturs perhaps.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Some people used not just economic muscle but political power to try and damage a business because the CEO has the temerity to express an opinion that

The CEO doesn't just express an opinion. He donates millions of dollars to groups that raison d'être is to marginalize a portion of the population. He is using his political power to suppress others himself.

As you well know, many African Americans don't accept that as a like for like substitution. For
example: this one.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's changing. Catch up.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

The gay African Americans accept it as a like-to-like substitution though and they are in the best position to understand it (or are we supposed to pretend that gay people are all White and wouldn't understand racial sensitivities, now?)

[ 02. August 2012, 17:53: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And even if it weren't changing, prejudice among African Americans against gays and lesbians doesn't make that prejudice acceptable.
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see a firm standing up for what it believes, If only more would do so.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I'm too lazy to read Leviticus, but is eating fried chicken even kosher?

Would Jesus, upstanding Jewish boy, even eat at Chick-Fil-A's?

Get over your laziness, start ay the begining and work your way through, but remember that as Christians we are no longer under law.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Yet these same Christians advocate using the coercive power of the state to force others to obey their moral code and deny them equal protection under the law using commands from the very same book - Leviticus. Oh the hypocrisy!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:

Almost all firms do this. It's just that for most of them "what they believe" has to do with profit margins, tax codes, pro rata billing, etc.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:

My guess is that the corporation is not capable of belief of any sort. But, if it is a publicly traded corporation, its shareholders are quite possibly capable of suing the sh*t out of overreaching management for spending company profits to ride managerial hobby horses.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Almost all firms do this. It's just that for most of them "what they believe" has to do with profit margins, tax codes, pro rata billing, etc.
I guess that you are right there.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
That's changing. Catch up.

That article says that more black people support gay marriage than four years ago, but doesn't document why. Learn to read sources before you post them.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

She doesn't need to document why (though the article actually says why - more exposure to gays and lesbians). She just needed to note that it was changing.

[ 02. August 2012, 18:26: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
She doesn't need to document why (though the article actually says why - more exposure to gays and lesbians). She just needed to note that it was changing.

To prove that more African Americans accept the redefinition of marriage is akin to the civil rights issue?

She doesn't adduce any evidence for people thinking that, but trots out her own opinion.

I'm quite sure many more African Americans support gay marriage than 5 or 10 years ago because larger percentage of all people do. It seems to me that many of the people who were central in the civil rights movements, particularly churches, do not accept that it is the same as the civil rights battles of the twentieth century.

RuthW

# 13

quote:
... (though the article actually says why - more exposure to gays and lesbians).

The article is all about why! Sheesh.
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
quote:

To prove that more African Americans accept the redefinition of marriage is akin to the civil rights issue?

Do you understand what civil rights means?

Obviously if more (heterosexual) African Americans support increasing civil rights protections for gay people WRT marriage they would see it as a civil rights issue. They would also, logically, be opposed to those groups who are actively trying to strip the gay community of civil rights protections like the Family Research Council, etc.

And as I mentioned, a significant percentage of gay people are also African American. These classifications are not mutually exclusive by any means, as you seem to keep implying.

quote:
It seems to me that many of the people who were central in the civil rights movements, particularly churches, do not accept that it is the same as the civil rights battles of the twentieth century.
Of course not. It doesn't affect them. People often don't see things as having the same importance and gravity when it doesn't affect them. Also there is still quite a bit of ignorance and misinformation in churches about the nature of sexual orientation and identity, so that isn't surprising either. What's your point?

[ 02. August 2012, 19:00: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Of course not. It doesn't affect them. People often don't see things as having the same importance and gravity when it doesn't affect them. Also there is still quite a bit of ignorance and misinformation in churches about the nature of sexual orientation and identity, so that isn't surprising either. What's your point?

My point is that your over-simplistic, crass and well-poisoning attempt to make the Chick-fil-A chief exec sound morally equivalent to a racist is not a comparison that a huge number of people who actually have to deal with racism would accept. Trying to bootstrap the struggle to redefine marriage to the battles of desegregation of the past is disrespectful to those people, much as it may win cheap points.
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
quote:

My point is that your over-simplistic, crass and well-poisoning attempt to make the Chick-fil-A chief exec sound morally equivalent to a racist is not a comparison that a huge number of people who actually have to deal with racism would accept. Trying to bootstrap the struggle to redefine marriage to the battles of desegregation of the past is disrespectful to those people, much as it may win cheap points.
Go back and read the thread for comprehension this time. This isn't just a debate over gay marriage. He is sending millions of dollars to organizations that not only want to invalidate gay marriage but criminalize gay people, both in the U.S. and abroad. People like me would be thrown in prison if they win. Of course it is a battle akin to desegregation.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
It seems to me that many of the people who were central in the civil rights movements, particularly churches, do not accept that it is the same as the civil rights battles of the twentieth century.

I'm not sure that it's possible to hold a coherent position that Loving v. Virginia is a civil rights case, but that same sex marriage isn't. Care to expand?

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do gay Chick Fil A employees feel about their boss's position?

Here is one report.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Try chatting about cars with a BMW owner.

--Tom Clune

My latest vehicle purchase is a 2004 Kia Rio which set me back $2600 and change.

I am therefore pleased to be defined as a 'cheap bastard'.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016