homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Where do I stand? (Abortions and middle ground) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Where do I stand? (Abortions and middle ground)
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Not true. Summary table of contraceptive efficacy -- from the people who literally wrote the book on the subject.

Coming back to the original topic, it's worth noting that comprehensive sex education is one of the most effective ways to move someone from the "typical use" column to the "perfect use" column. It's also worth noting that this well-established method of preventing unwanted pregnancies is overwhelmingly opposed by pro-life* organizations. This seems contradictory if their aim is reducing the number of abortions performed, but is perfectly understandable if their goals are more along the lines of "making life harder for women".

--------------------
*Offer expires at birth.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're far too kind, Crœsos. They're not out to make life hard for women. They're out to control them.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the difference in figures between the ones I was quoting and the ones RuthW linked to are national differences - UK vs USA. I was quoting, admittedly off the top of my head, the Family Planning Association figures, from the booklets that are provided for people to read and make choices. There's no handy table there, but failure rates are given if you read about the contraceptives discussed.

For example, the failure rate of implanted hormonal contraception is less than 1 in 1000 women (compared to 80 to 90 women getting pregnant without the use of contraception) and the failure rate is not affected by the user.

The combined contraceptive pill used correctly has a failure rate of around 1 in 100 women a year.

The cap or diaphragm with spermicide is 96% effective used correctly. It really isn't on the list of contraceptives recommended to young sexually active young women. Natural family planning (the rhythm method) is more effective with 1 in 100 women likely to fall pregnant when used correctly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What puzzles me is how this became a public issue in the first place -- that is, a matter of public policy rather than an issue to be handled on a private, individual basis. How and when did a matter that was only discussed in whispers behind closed doors move into the public sphere? And why?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
What puzzles me is how this became a public issue in the first place -- that is, a matter of public policy rather than an issue to be handled on a private, individual basis. How and when did a matter that was only discussed in whispers behind closed doors move into the public sphere? And why?

Frank Schaeffer says it was his dad's fault, along with C. Everett Koop and a couple of their partners-in-crime. I have the book (Crazy for God) but haven't read it yet.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

*Offer expires at birth

No it doesn't!
It sure does in the Republican Party, which is working as hard as it can to make the lives of the children of poor single mothers nasty, brutish, and short.
I'd be interested in some facts/ stats there - not because I disbelieve you but because they may come in useful in a debate I'm having with some more conservative Christians on Another Board [Two face]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

here's a start

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

similarly

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One could look at comparative life-expectancy statistics among various countries, in which those of the United States (with-the-best- medical-care-in-the-world, of course, as it's obligatory to say) are mediocre. They're worse than Cuba's. And then listen to the comments of right-wingers about this situation.

You'll probably hear something to the effect that those countries who surpass the U.S. are more liberal about abortions and have more of them.

In other words, one is to think that these other nations kill the less-likely to survive cases in the womb, whereas the right thing to do is let them die after birth.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

*Offer expires at birth

No it doesn't!
It sure does in the Republican Party, which is working as hard as it can to make the lives of the children of poor single mothers nasty, brutish, and short.
I'd be interested in some facts/ stats there - not because I disbelieve you but because they may come in useful in a debate I'm having with some more conservative Christians on Another Board [Two face]
More generally on healthcare and how it works. (Self link - it's more about the British system than the American one but shows why the American one is how not to do it).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Cheers!

Changing tack slightly, did any other Brits hear Suzanne Moore on the Today programme this morning on the subject? I think she came across as bloody rude and intolerant and did her cause no favours.

--------------------

Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cheers!

Changing tack slightly, did any other Brits hear Suzanne Moore on the Today programme this morning on the subject? I think she came across as bloody rude and intolerant and did her cause no favours.

I agree - she was awful. A great shame.
Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016