homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Purpose, Outcome and Responsibility

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Purpose, Outcome and Responsibility
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On another thread (Early Church and PSA) Shamwari expressed the following view:

“The Biblical writers did not distinguish between purpose and consequence. Since they thought that God wills all things they identified consequence with purpose.”

Cliffdweller disagreed:

“As a broad generalization, this simply is not true. There are abundant places in Scripture where God is shown to be unhappy with the outcomes, with human decisions that were made, etc..”

Although Cliffdweller has a point, ISTM that he/she is underlining the imprecision and confusion which Shamwari has identified. The bible does seem unclear as to the distinction between God’s sovereign will, human free will, and the importance of that distinction for a clear understanding of moral responsibility, culpability for sin, and judgement. A particularly example is Peter’s sermon at Pentecost, where in Acts 2: 23 he argues that Jesus was “handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge”, whilst the climax of his argument is that his hearers are to repent because they had fallen under God’s judgement for crucifying his Messiah (Acts 2:36-38).

More generally, what do Shipmates make of Shamwari’s observation? And more specifically, could Peter have made a better job with his sermon?

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, you are baiting the beast here. If its precision you want, it's precision you'll get as I lay out a distinctly Open view on those questions. I was just showing a wee bit of (uncharacteristic) restraint before as I'm sure my many discourses on the subject have wearied many a shippie.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
On another thread (Early Church and PSA) Shamwari expressed the following view:

“The Biblical writers did not distinguish between purpose and consequence. Since they thought that God wills all things they identified consequence with purpose.”

If that were true there would have been no Cities of Refuge, and all manslaughter would have been treated as murder.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible isn't a single book, but a collection of books written at some wildly divergent times and places.

I think it's odd to expect the Bible to speak with one voice on anything.

That said, is there a clear case where, a Biblical narrative blatantly ignores intent and judges only the consequences of an action? How do we test that?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're going to run into at least two issues:
1. The Bible (esp. in narrative) often does us the courtesy of assuming we can judge the immorality of an action without needing to have it spelled out for us (e.g. "And the moral of this story, children, is that...") Plenty of people assume that no explicit moral = no judgment at all.
2. There are plenty of places and plenty of subjects on which God feels no need to explain or justify himself to us. The book of Job is going to be an overriding example here.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016