homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Tatler (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Tatler
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder who might choose to wear a collar and chain? Unless we're deeply into po-mo irony, it's a new one on me.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of such a thing and certainly not encountered anyone wearing one. I suppose we shouldn't ask what you were looking for when you chanced upon it... [Big Grin]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
I wonder who might choose to wear a collar and chain? Unless we're deeply into po-mo irony, it's a new one on me.

Is this some sort of S & M? If so, I do not like it.

[ 17. August 2011, 21:38: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shirt also has white French cuffs. That's something I've never noticed with clerical shirts before.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with all these shirt lifters?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
Although I am late in responding, I believe that non-papal white cassocks are a concession to tropical heat and humidity. The first one I encountered was worn by a priest who had recently returned from service as a chaplain in Vietnam.

On a recent retreat at a Benedictine abbey in Indiana I noticed one member of the community in a white habit, which looked quite striking with his very black skin -- he was visiting (or possibly temporarily assigned) from Togo, so a tropical version of the habit.
Also visiting was a Norbertine brother (I kinow not from where) whose cassock, scapular and mozetta(?) were not-quite-white, sort of ivory.
It made for interesting contrasts amongst all the OSB black.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
What is it with all these shirt lifters?

[Killing me]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
The shirt also has white French cuffs. That's something I've never noticed with clerical shirts before.

I have a couple of blue-purple clergy shirts with white French cuffs. I tend to associate the white cuff routine with MDS shirts, but I am sure other makers do it. However, the rest of the French cuffed formal shirts I have are collarless and white. I rarely wear them as I do not have many formal occasions which require civil dress rather the cassock, etc.. That said, one of these days I will finally buy a clerical frock coat as I am not really a big cassock wearer. Too dang hot around here.

PD

[ 18. August 2011, 01:14: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Now you have me trying to picture clerical cufflinks. I suppose that could be a whole thread by itself. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I always associated red cassocks and cottas with a certain species of MOTR Episcopal Church. It is the sort of place where you know someone is going to be wearing white gloves and processing the cross elbow out.

PD

Oh, you mean like
This? [Biased]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I always associated red cassocks and cottas with a certain species of MOTR Episcopal Church. It is the sort of place where you know someone is going to be wearing white gloves and processing the cross elbow out.

PD

Oh, you mean like
This? [Biased]

Er - not quite!
[Big Grin]

PD

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Now you have me trying to picture clerical cufflinks. I suppose that could be a whole thread by itself. [Big Grin]

I have a set where the "button end" is a rugby ball with GUINNESS inscribed on it. Saves a lot of trouble at Synods as everyone knows my shout at the bar.
[Big Grin]

PD

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

PD

Oh, you mean like
This? [Biased]

Ah, healthy modernism!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Too Much Information, Leo, even if your confessor would approve.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well it's definitely not M & S ...

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
quote:

Too Much Information, Leo, even if your confessor would approve.
She wouldn't.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
quote:

Well it's definitely not M & S ...
I'm thinking bling for a prosperity-gospel preacher.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Daykin
Apprentice
# 16514

- Posted      Profile for Daykin   Email Daykin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would the pom pom of this biretta tell us the wearer is a monsignor or a canon or a bishop?
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daykin:
Would the pom pom of this biretta tell us the wearer is a monsignor or a canon or a bishop?

Or is it a signifier of an entirely different kind?

[ 18. August 2011, 21:45: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

I would see that and think 'Canon.' However, I think the coloured pom-pon actually requires some sort of privilege to be granted by the bishop, which I suspect most bishops would grant!

Of course, being of that outlook I would prefer to see Canons decently outfitted with grey silk Almuces

PD

--------------------

Daykin
Apprentice
# 16514

- Posted      Profile for Daykin   Email Daykin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks PD.

This is the page with the birrettas.

Any one know which is for whom? The site doesn't name them as 'rank' specific.

The last one does not seem to have a pom pom.

PD - may I ask - what is a grey almuce? [Smile]

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think (and this is a basic summation)...

Black - Standard
Purple pom-pom - Canon (anglican) or Mgr (catholic)
Entirely Purple - Bishop
Scarlet - Cardinal (catholic). Not really used in Anglican circles, but I know of an AC priest who is Chaplain to HM who has been seen in one on occasion. I also know of a "Cardinal Rector" who has been known to wear one. I think 'local custom' would be pleaded.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop
Scarlet - Cardinal (catholic). Not really used in Anglican circles, but I know of an AC priest who is Chaplain to HM who has been seen in one on occasion. I also know of a "Cardinal Rector" who has been known to wear one. I think 'local custom' would be pleaded.

I, too, have known "cardinal rector's" to wear red pom-poms, but the excuse had something to do with having a doctorate or some such thing.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
quote:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop

I, too, have known "cardinal rector's" to wear red pom-poms, but the excuse had something to do with having a doctorate or some such thing.
In an Anglican context, if I recall correctly, I have seen Desmond Tutu in both scarlet red and bishop's purple. I always just assumed he used the red because of being an archbishop.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
[QUOTE]In an Anglican context, if I recall correctly, I have seen Desmond Tutu in both scarlet red and bishop's purple. I always just assumed he used the red because of being an archbishop.

That is something you occasional find in Africa. I would imagine scarlet biretta is to go with his chimere as Episcopal purple and doctoral scarlet clash horribly.

I have a purple skullcap and a purple biretta which I wear at Low Mass when I need to make it clear there us a bishop on deck, but they do not get much use. I am not really one for wearing a hat in church, and am very glad that the mitre spends most of its time on the altar folded flat when I celebrate a Pontifical Mass.

PD

--------------------

Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Servers who know what to do with birettas must be in short supply these days.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice pair of masonic cufflinks on the clerical shirt is often in evidence
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
A nice pair of masonic cufflinks on the clerical shirt is often in evidence

[Paranoid]

--------------------

Daykin
Apprentice
# 16514

quote:
Originally posted by Quam Dilecta:
Servers who know what to do with birettas must be in short supply these days.

How is the biretta worn - on the head, of course!

But in what directions are the fins, and is there ever any variance in custom on this one?

otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The single fin is to the right, so you can lift it with your right hand. (The sole purpose in wearing it is to be seen ceremoniously taking it off.) The ignorant, especially stage and screen costumiers, prefer it with the finless corner in front, because it looks nicer that way.
My reply on this question is not to be interpreted as meaning I would ever wear one now, or even in my Anglican days.

Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by otyetsfoma:
(The sole purpose in wearing it is to be seen ceremoniously taking it off.)

[Snigger]

That is my philosophy in wearing glasses, too.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daykin
Apprentice
# 16514

quote:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop

Can the pink pom pom on a black biretta be something other than a canon, for example, a bishop. Or is a bishop's biretta always red.

A few years ago I saw a priest (?) with quite a pink rather than a red pom pom. I wondered what his 'rank' was. Would the pink just be a shade of red - and so a canon.

I hope the question deosn't seem too fussy. It;s just one of those rather silly things I've always wanted the answer to.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop

Can the pink pom pom on a black biretta be something other than a canon, for example, a bishop. Or is a bishop's biretta always red.

A few years ago I saw a priest (?) with quite a pink rather than a red pom pom. I wondered what his 'rank' was. Would the pink just be a shade of red - and so a canon.

I hope the question deosn't seem too fussy. It;s just one of those rather silly things I've always wanted the answer to.

It's pink because he's not 9ahem) ... not as other men
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Daykin
Apprentice
# 16514

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
[qb]

Sorry, I'm not getting the nuance of that reply
[Confused]

Up In Smoke
Shipmate
# 10971

- Posted      Profile for Up In Smoke   Email Up In Smoke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, actually, he is "as" a good many others of us men in holy orders are [Biased]

(I once remarked that if all of "us" at the seminary I attended were to turn blue on the same day, it would appear that the campus was suddenly at sea. And that was in my Baptist days!)

Posts: 109 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

And how would YOU know?

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Birettas with scarves? (from Anglican Patrimony)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

minstermusic
Shipmate
# 16462

- Posted      Profile for minstermusic   Email minstermusic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop

I know of an RC Priest who is a Canon Lawyer, and as such wears a biretta with a green pom-pom. Not sure if he also has green piping on his cassock...

--------------------
Take heed ye unwise among the people: O ye fools when will ye understand? Ps.94.8.

Posts: 103 | From: Stoke-on-Trent | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Birettas with scarves? (from Anglican Patrimony)

Thurible

At least they're not wearing scarves with cottas.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Ok, if I could find The Tatler, this would be better for it, but I couldn't so I am asking here.

Fr. Temp has a natty little capelet thing that goes on his cassock. Does this natty little capelet have a fancy liturgical name (e.g., NOT "capelet")? Thanks!

Signed,
Curious in California

Don't say I never do anything for you...

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you!

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shoulder cape worn over a cassock is sometimes known as a pellegrina, or just as often a shoulder cape.

I have known the whole ensemble to be referred to as a simar, derived from zimarra which is the italian form of a similar over cloak.

this must be distinguished from the Mozetta which is a larger front buttoning over cape and which marks a prelate or other dignitary.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Black - Standard
Entirely Purple - Bishop

This site would suggest that you ran into an Apostolic Protonotary, generally a titular dignity for RC clergy.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Google-fu may be off, but I simply cannot answer my question there. I know someone here will know: What does one wear beneath one's choir cassock? Undies, socks, and shoes? Pants and shirt?

Can I wear an alb over a choir cassock, or is that tacky?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
My Google-fu may be off, but I simply cannot answer my question there. I know someone here will know: What does one wear beneath one's choir cassock? Undies, socks, and shoes? Pants and shirt?

Can I wear an alb over a choir cassock, or is that tacky?

Beneath the choir cassock, practically speaking it depends on the weather! Undies, certainly, also socks and shoes. If in orders a clerical collar, if lay, a (detached) white dress shirt collar gives a nice effect.
The old-fashioned Anglo-Catholics said TYTIYS, which being interpreted is 'Tuck your trousers in your socks,' it somehow being less than Catholic to have trouser bottoms showing.

If omitting trousers, be sure the Undie elastic is viable. I have seen a priest lose his underwear while censing the altar - no way to hide that!

Yes, by all means wear choir cassock under alb, it helps it to hang better, as well as being 'by the book.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

I don't discuss what I wear under my cassock... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I don't discuss what I wear under my cassock... [Paranoid]

That answers the question, I believe.

Thanks, Seasick and georgiaboy. Very helpful.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. I thought it was understood that nothing was worn beneath the cassock?

It's all in fine working order.

I'll get me cope.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'll get me cope.

Not a joke I'd expect from a Missouri Synod Lutheran. [Overused]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't even think of it in Darwin. Wearing a cassock that is. Best wear something under the cassock you wouldn't be wearing, though. Or the police may be interested.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016