homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Planning Christmas eve after the organist & director quit

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Planning Christmas eve after the organist & director quit
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas eve has been a lessons & carols event, very popular with non-members (and members) looking for "lightly church with lots of traditional carols" (it's the only time an overflow hall is needed). The choir and handbells get to do special music. The professional organist sets the tone.

But the organist just now quit along with the choir/handbells director (a married couple, losing one means losing both positions).

I offered to help brainstorm Christmas Eve and was surprised to be told yes, come.

I'm thinking the worst approach is to try to replicate a professional quality organ-based event with a mediocre pianist. Whatever the event, it should be genuinely itself instead of imitating something currently out of reach.

Resources that I know of - one mediocre pianist, a small choir (six to twelve voices including at most two men) without a director (a choir member is waving hands around to keep time), handbells without a director (they are used to doing complex pieces).

I'm thinking maybe an invitation to the congregation: "who plays an instrument - flute clarinet, violin, trombone, trumpet, drums, other - and would like to play along with some carols" for a different sound than other years. And an invitation to the congregation for anyone including youths and kiddies to join the choir for three rehearsals and Christmas Eve,a different level of inclusiveness.

Does a decent lessons and carols require an excellent keyboard or can it be done in a more relaxed inclusive amateur hour "lets all have fun" way and people still go home satisfied with having had their "traditional" service?

Or maybe round up some guitars and banjos and do a whole different style, country and western Christmas? (This is Texas!)

An alternative is no Christmas Eve service (many churches are dark that night). I think no one wants to cut it but also no one wants an embarrassing event.

I am looking for ideas to throw into a brainstorming session because initial ideas can help generate new and better ideas.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get in touch with your local (Texas) branch of the American Guild of Organists and ask if they have a list of members. At the same time something on local radio may unearth either an organist or a good pianist - try getting something on their local news slot.

Try the local schools - they may have people heading up their music who can help.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Christmas eve has been a lessons & carols event, very popular with non-members (and members) looking for "lightly church with lots of traditional carols"

I think most people would expect organ music for something like this. The question becomes, in the absence of your organist, do you have / can you obtain (see l'organist's post) anyone who can play organ well enough to accompany traditional carols, even if the accompaniment doesn't have so many frills and flourishes as your ex-organist would have used.

I think attempting a service like your usual with a piano accompaniment would leave many people disappointed - if you can't get hold of someone who can make a reasonable fist of playing the organ, your idea of gathering together a small ensemble from the congregation is a good one.

If you do that, you'll have to spend time beforehand getting your sound balancing sorted out, especially if this isn't something you usually do.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that if you're thinking of doing something with a band of instruments (rather than single organist) then you particularly need someone to direct the group, or else chaos will break out!

How mediocre is the mediocre pianist? Could they be persuaded to tinkle the organ ivories instead?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even facing an average pianist with an organ keyboard is a bit like putting a cyclist in charge of a truck on the grounds that it is only another road vehicle..... [Devil]
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends. (On both the pianist and the organ).

Countless churches (in the UK at least) are served by people who are essentially pianists who have turned their hand to playing the manuals of an organ. Now, the result is hardly what might be expected of, say, Olivier Latrie, but then not everywhere has the organ of Notre Dame Cathedral and expects playing to that standard!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't Silent Night written precisely because the organ had packed up about teatime, and there was only a guitar available?

I'd be very glad to hear Silent Night with guitar accompaniment, but it presupposes a small congregation, not the overflow hall.

You do need an organist or at least someone who can play a keyboard.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or a congregation that can laugh at itself and enjoy itself, in which case you can even sing a capella.

Don't worry about an event being "embarrassing." This isn't a performance. It's worship.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
...or a congregation that can laugh at itself and enjoy itself, in which case you can even sing a capella.

Don't worry about an event being "embarrassing." This isn't a performance. It's worship.

Absolutely!
Use what you've got. Don't mimic anybody else or previous styles (if I may say so, the word 'performance' comes to mind - don't go there).
Enjoy yourselves. GOD will be pleased. And so, I guess, will be those who participate, whether instrumentalist or congregational singer.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I'd be very glad to hear Silent Night with guitar accompaniment, but it presupposes a small congregation, not the overflow hall.

Not necessarily a small congregation, though granted an overflow hall could present a challenge. The standard ending for the Christmas Eve service at our place is to stand in a large circle against the walls of the church (and in the center aisle as necessary) and sing "Silent Night" by candlelight, with only guitar accompaniment, followed by "Joy to the World" with organ. That's with 200 or more people.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
p cooper
Apprentice
# 17964

- Posted      Profile for p cooper   Email p cooper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
if you end up with a motley collection of instruments, the Salvation Army carol books ('Christms Praise') have parts for a number of non-brass different instruments( flute, viola, clarinet etc etc ) - lots of flat keys though .

So you could hopefully get SATB parts with whatever instruments you can collect together.

( but I bet I beat Mudfrog to it)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the organist just now quit along with the choir/handbells director (a married couple, losing one means losing both positions).

Everyone is being so polite, but surely you can guess the question we're all dying to ask. [Eek!]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't think you can get the standard you would normally expect, then go for something completely different. Make a virtue out of need. Look at what you CAN reasonably do with the resources at your disposal and then go for it.

Don't do what you normally do, badly. Do something else where you can make it the best it can be.

Another idea to consider might be (whisper it quietly) to look at using "canned" music. OK - it isn't the same as live organ music, but if organ music you must have - then why not consider a CD?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
But the organist just now quit...

Everyone is being so polite, but surely you can guess the question we're all dying to ask. [Eek!]
Not wanting to put much "gossip" on line, but it's probably not a unique story. Pick a random church, change names, insert story?

Organist and director have been in their jobs a dozen years, outlasting several preachers. New preacher, clash of vision of what is the role of the music department and who gets the final say. No one had failed to bow to the music directors before.

Previous pastors and committees put up with it because (direct quote to me several years ago) "that's the price we pay to hear the organ."

New pastor and the personnel committee (whatever that's called) apparently decided the music directors had spiritually unhealthy effect on the church, and fired them. I don't know what the last straw incident was.

Choir (most, but not all) are glad even though in shock at the suddenness; choir showed up Sunday and sang, not as well as usual but they are determined to keep going. Lots of us feel the move was overdue, but of course some feel like it isn't really church without the organ.

Replacing the organist may be impossible. Small town; nearest big university with big music dept has one organ student. The pipe organ has square wooden pipes (that's what they looked like to me the one time I saw from the back entry to the pipes) and needs repair (some pipes sound off? Something like that.)

I'm not in the choir or bells (was kicked out for disagreeing with something one of them did in/to the church that had nothing to do with music; you agreed with them in everything or you left).

I offered to help brainstorm Christmas only because I'm aware it's way past time to make plans, and also wanting to express concrete appreciation/support for the new pastor who of course is getting a lot of criticism (as well as support).

I have never before been involved in helping plan a Christmas Eve! In one sense it can't be hard, throw together some prayers and readings and carols. But it needs to be calm and planned and rehearsed and - yes! spiritual! Not just stuff thrown together to have a program. Any special music needs to get ordered fast so it can be rehearsed!

I am trying to make a list of local people who might be able to play a bit of organ or know someone, but they might want to take time to interview and hire, not grab someone fast who could turn out to be another mistake.

[ 30. October 2014, 01:32: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the flip side of the charismatic service that so much depends upon the pricking of emotion and feeling for its success? A musical service that so much depends upon upon a high level of artistic accomplishment for its success.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this an Episcopal parish? Surely there are services in the BCP that are appropriate for Christmas Eve; all one ought to have to do is choose appropriate music.

If you're serious about forming a band, however ad hoc, you are going to need a director. Someone will need to be able to ensure that the parts for the musicians follow the same harmony as the choir parts, for example. Someone will need to rehearse the musicians ("just show up and play" is a recipe for disaster). Someone will need to beat time and cue entrances. And so on.

And given that the whole thing sounds like an undertaking of amateur musicians, rehearsals probably need to start yesterday!

Congratulations, by the way, on getting rid of the passive-aggressive lay popes. There's an old Russian saying to the effect that the Devil always enters the Church through the choir...

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I gather Belle is a Methodist.

In one sense Lamb Chopped is quite right. But the OP suggested this is congregation with a large proportion of infrequent churchgoers. In which case they probably need some help in entering into prayer by some forethought and planning on the part of the regular church.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not link up with another local church for a shared service ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

I wasn't thinking of a band. More like if anyone plays a brass instrument, that instrument could play a verse as instrumental lead-in to hark the herald angles sing. A flute or clarinet or violin would be lovely leading in to silent night. (Am I the only person tired of silent night? I guess that's a different thread topic.)

Sure, one can take the prayer book or a liturgy from the web and add songs, the problem is the organ usually plays prelude, accompanies songs, plays service music, plays postlude, it's a major presence. Not gonna happen this year.

So the goal is to come up with something different that is satisfying in itself. Different instruments might be one way. Or a whole different concept, like a Christmas drama followed by a choir-led acapella sing-along instead of a lessons & carols event?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas Eve here has a dramatised telling of the nativity story with songs to join in. It's usually done with mime from actors and narrators on mikes:

Annunciation - angel tells Mary she will have a baby
Pause to sing something like The Angel Gabriel from heaven came - usually something more child friendly.

Mary and Joseph travel to Bethlehem
(move through church back to stage to the singing of Little Donkey)

Mary and Joseph try to find somewhere to sleep
go behind curtains to "stable"
something suitable sung like O little town of Bethlehem while stage resets to ...

Shepherds found on hillside - travel to stage / stable to While shepherds watched
arrive on stage get sent by innkeeper to disappear into the stable / behind curtains;

meet the kings about to process in to We three kings they arrive on stage and talk to the innkeeper and get sent behind to offer gifts that they explain,

open curtains to see tableau of nativity scene with baby to something like Hark the Herald angels

prayer and thanks to all concerned

Finish off with O Come all ye faithful and blessing.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lessons and carols are certainly doable with a small choir and someone to give a starting note. It's not King's College but we manage reasonably well with a choir of 5 and tackle some difficult music. A decent choir master makes a lot of difference but doing it without just requires more practice. Consequently we started practicing for Christmas in mid September and, with luck, will be able to do reasonable justice to Farrant's Magnificat in G minor by the evening of the Sunday after Christmas day.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in a happy clappy "contemporary" church with no one who can plan traditional music. I am determined not to have "Christmas rockin' eve."

I recently discovered these and plan to give them a whirl at my Christmas Eve Eucharist. Decent accompaniment for congregational singing, but won't help anthems and solos. Don't have much to lose.

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer, I know you have an abiding interest in music, but let me also suggest that you will need to spend time on the "lessons" side of the "lessons and carols" as well. Hopefully, you have access to the set of readings used in previous years, and assume also that the selections were fine and need no substitutions.

And what about the readers? Do you have experienced readers who can be tapped again this year? Or do you need to recruit some? You'll need to get those commitments made before November is over. And you need to for them to be well-rehearsed, too. People come to hear the Christmas carols, but they also come to be moved and comforted by the words of Scripture.

Now, as to the music. You haven't indicated whether this service is one where people are primarily listeners (requiring, then, a choir that is particularly well-prepared) or whether this is more of a carol sing-along with the choir mainly providing musical leadership. I hope, under the circumstances, it's the latter. If not, consider doing so this year, and stick with familiar music. A choir of 6-12 singers, especially one that is so unbalanced as to vocal parts, is probably not going to be performance-ready without steady rehearsals under the leadership of someone who knows how to direct, not just wave his arms about. So keep it simple. (Did I mention a sing-along?)

The organ CD linked in Circuit Rider's post above sounds pretty good. Their Christmas selection seems complete enough.

If you *know* of good instrumentalists in the congregation, a solo or two would be a nice replacement for the handbells. However, issuing an open invitation at this point could be disastrous; you could get volunteers who are not good and then you'd have all the drama associated with saying No to people, and that could end up putting a damper on the whole thing.

Again, keep it simple. Better to do a few things, and do them well, than try to take on an extravaganza and have it implode.

[ 02. November 2014, 22:30: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Christmas Eve here has a dramatised telling of the nativity story with songs to join in. It's usually done with mime from actors and narrators on mikes:

Annunciation - angel tells Mary she will have a baby
Pause to sing something like The Angel Gabriel from heaven came - usually something more child friendly.

Mary and Joseph travel to Bethlehem
(move through church back to stage to the singing of Little Donkey)

Mary and Joseph try to find somewhere to sleep
go behind curtains to "stable"
something suitable sung like O little town of Bethlehem while stage resets to ...

Shepherds found on hillside - travel to stage / stable to While shepherds watched
arrive on stage get sent by innkeeper to disappear into the stable / behind curtains;

meet the kings about to process in to We three kings they arrive on stage and talk to the innkeeper and get sent behind to offer gifts that they explain,

open curtains to see tableau of nativity scene with baby to something like Hark the Herald angels

prayer and thanks to all concerned

Finish off with O Come all ye faithful and blessing.

This sounds positively mediaeval!

Well done!

Perhaps you do something similarly evangelical for Palm Sunday?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evening service on Palm Sunday is Stations of the Cross - often done as a procession around the church with a single drum beat.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have run across these if piano accompaniment is wanted for variety. These are free!

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go simple. Darkened church, everyone has candles, unaccompanied singing - you just need the choir or a single good singer to be able to start everyone else off and good readers. The simplicity and the atmosphere will make up for the missing 'professionalism.'

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I would go simple. Darkened church, everyone has candles, unaccompanied singing - you just need the choir or a single good singer to be able to start everyone else off and good readers. The simplicity and the atmosphere will make up for the missing 'professionalism.'

I like it (as well as some other suggestions upthread). Whole different feel complete in itself instead of the organ being obviously missing.

I am not the planner of the evening, I just offered to help brainstorm some ideas for dealing with the fact of no organ. Pastor said great, let's meet; supposedly last week but his life is hectic right now. So I'll just email a list of "thinking out loud" ideas, save him a meeting, get the ideas list off my mind unless called to discuss anything.

If I get put on an implementation committee, yes the readings, and flow, and logistics (candles without burning down the building, etc) are important. But more experienced people than I know about these things. What I have to offer is - you guys' broad range of possibilities; if something clicks, great, if not, what the heck. The first Christmas had no organ, it worked out fine. [Smile]

I already sent a list of possible ways to find an organist: a couple local retired organists, some local people with a lot of music connections, email link to the organist guild, a link to a list of nearby universities with an organ program. All long shots but you just never know who knows someone. In my youth lots of homes had a Hammond organ, there may be more organists out there than we think.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
The first Christmas had no organ, it worked out fine.

The Orthodox do not use musical instruments during divine service, so you would be in good company to exclude the organ.

(There is the pesky example of a few Greek Orthodox attempting to assimilate to the Protestant American culture, we fervently hope this this will pass.)

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And also, recall the perhaps most famous 'organ-less' Christmas Eve (in Western liturgy):

The little Austrian village where the Gruber-Mohr partnership came up with 'Stille Nacht' ('Silent Night') - accompanied by guitar because the organ was broken. That one certainly has 'legs' to use a term from Variety!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Candles?? CANDLES???

Have you any idea what Elven Safety might have to say about loads of people with candles?

Do you WANT to burn the church down? [Razz]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
I would go simple. Darkened church, everyone has candles, unaccompanied singing - you just need the choir or a single good singer to be able to start everyone else off...

Candles?? CANDLES???

Have you any idea what Elven Safety might have to say about loads of people with candles?

Do you WANT to burn the church down? [Razz]

I have twice been at Christmas eve programs with just candle light. Once in an old church in New England, once in an older church in Germany. Both churches were build in the day when that was the light, and had appropriate equipment (wrought iron multi-candle stands to provide light without people holding lighted dripping candles for an hour). Stunning!

Around here it's common to hand people candles which are lighted only for the final silent night. The candles are inside a plastic cup made to hold a candle. One church gives kids glow sticks instead.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much of this sounds like my pad, where there has been a strategic "punitive" resignation, in reality a retirement dressed up to maximise presumed deleterious impact. But the show goes on: cut the suit to fit the cloth or whatever the saying is. I would rather a simple chorus sung well in praise of God than an elaborate High Renaissance Magnum Opus™ performed badly.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dog Dad
Apprentice
# 18238

- Posted      Profile for Dog Dad   Email Dog Dad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have the luxury of a little time.....as suggested, contact the AGO.. there are dozens of Unemployed organists and music directors out there who'd be willing to direct the event(s).....it may even lead to a full time employment.

But to not have music or accompaniment at any of these services is guaranteed to alienate most everyone and ensure that any visitors will NOT consider your church for future membership. This is the time of the year that people long for the familiar, the familiar hymns, lessons and carols......no need to be adventurous or experimental. Save that for another time.

As the music director for my parish, I was 'warned' not sneak any unfamiliar hymns in on Christmas eve.......

--------------------
Bacon Diem! (I hate Carp)

Posts: 6 | From: Peekskill, NY | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Dog Dad:
contact the AGO.. there are dozens of Unemployed organists

What country?

Not challenging, just intrigued.

Does seen like, with how common home organs were in the 50s, there should be lots of people with organ experience, but these days you can get a Hammond organ free from Craigs list.

I keep hearing organists these days are rare. Even keyboardists! My piano teacher insisted I was good enough to play piano in a church even though I can barely clomp on a I IV V series of chords (with occasional mistakes). Few play piano anymore.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

What country?

I just Googled "American Guild of Organists Texas" and found links to chapters in various places around the state. I don't know what part of Texas you're in, but try Google and choose the closest. Also, if there's a college or university near you, they may have organ students looking to make some extra money.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
these days you can get a Hammond organ free from Craigs list.

Because "Hammond organ" is an oxymoron.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

I just ran a check in my area. All the Hammond Organs cost money.

Wuzzamatter Amanda? Don't like R&B? There is a bitchin' two-manual Hammond B3 with a Leslie speaker for seven grand.

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
quote:

What country?

I just Googled "American Guild of Organists Texas" and found links to chapters in various places around the state.
Thanks, I did send the music committee links to the Texas chapter of the organ guild and they also have a list of all schools with an organ program.

One problem is the drive from any such school to a small town adds 3 hours round trip to an organist's time away from home. But the church would just need to build that time into payment offered.

I keep hearing there aren't many organ students anymore, a university program that had 60 students because of the fantastic teacher now has one student since he retired.

So it's encouraging to hear organists may not be as rare as rumored. Yea!

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Wuzzamatter Amanda? Don't like R&B? There is a bitchin' two-manual Hammond B3 with a Leslie speaker for seven grand.

Be still my beating heart.

Though on the other hand, now being responsible for a church that has just spent nearly a million dollars rebuilding its (non Hammond) organ I sometimes wonder if we've got it right. The annual insurance alone could feed a refugee camp.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... now being responsible for a church that has just spent nearly a million dollars rebuilding its (non Hammond) organ I sometimes wonder if we've got it right. The annual insurance alone could feed a refugee camp.

I have a childhood friend who has been in love with organ from birth, put himself through college playing in 4 churches and a synagogue, tried to earn his living playing selling repairing organs, had to give up and find a reliable way to support the family.

We met a few years ago at a funeral, he told me organ is a dying instrument - because of the cost. He mentioned a church in Florida that moved to a new building, the cost of moving the organ would far exceed the cost of buying an electronic organ with sounds sampled from the best of organs, and the electronic organ wouldn't need the regular repairs.

So, he said, the real organ was scrapped. I don't know if that means sold cheaply to whatever church would take it, or destroyed.

I have an electronic keyboard at home instead of a piano because it's lots cheaper and doesn't need the cost of regular retuning. Would a real piano be better? Yes, of course; but costs, including ongoing maintenance costs and future moving to a smaller house or to another state costs, matter.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Though on the other hand, now being responsible for a church that has just spent nearly a million dollars rebuilding its (non Hammond) organ I sometimes wonder if we've got it right. The annual insurance alone could feed a refugee camp.

Zappa, you may rest easier in the knowledge that the Church always has been—and should be—a protector, preserver, and patron of art and culture.

(Also, I think you have misplaced a hyphen.)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016