homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Basingstoke area churches

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Basingstoke area churches
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to make another church finding post so soon!

I need to get back into the habit of going to church (have been really not well at all). Thanks to Diverse Church I have been learning that it's OK to still be a bit (or more than a bit) evangelical so I think I want to mix things up a bit. I live in the Baughurst end of Tadley so get the number 2 bus into Basingstoke - can't drive. A church in walking distance would save me a lot of money but is possibly not going to happen, at least not on Sunday.

Churches in my area - St Michael's RC, St Mary's CoE, Tadley Methodist church that's next to St Mary's (I know there's another near the Salvation Army, I don't know how much they vary) and a branch of Basingstoke Community Church (charismatic evo). Have been to BCC before and felt a bit lost in terms of getting to know people. I struggle with small talk! Have been to the Methodist church once and felt like I stood out a mile (pretty male, very elderly and very middle-class, but then it is Tadley), have been to St Mary's but not since they got a new PIC so can't really judge. Have not been to St Michael's - anyone know it?

Haven't been to St Stephen's - it's quite far out from where I live and the benefice website is not very helpful.

The Basingstoke church I am familiar with is St Michael's in the town centre. I know of All Saints but have not been yet, but I know where it is. Not been to the other churches in that group.

What I suppose I'm really looking for is a weekly Eucharist to attend and a relaxed evangelical service. Doesn't especially matter which one is on Sunday, but Sunday evening is out since the last bus from Basingstoke to Baughurst is at 19.05. I would go to St Michael's RC on a Saturday evening if I could receive...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried A church near you? That will show you the C of E churches in a particular area and should help you see quickly what they are like and offer.

I don't know if it is too far out of Basingstoke for you, but what about Christ Church in Chineham? (Although, having checked its website, it seems more conservative evangelical than I remember).

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Evangelical Alliance website shows several churches in Basingstoke:
  • Buckskin Evangelical
  • North Basingstoke Community
  • South Basingstoke Community
  • Town Centre Community
  • Basingstoke Baptist
Find a church also lists Melrose Christian Fellowship.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I was hoping more for personal experiences of churches - ACNY is limited in what it can tell you about a church.

The Basingstoke Community churches are all part of the same group of churches and share ministers/pastors.

I think I would rather go (gently) charismatic than Baptist. I think.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:

Well, the baptist church website does have this fantastic photo on it. What could be more appealing? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
?? Quite a lot....... [Confused]

......I'll get me coat.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I was hoping more for personal experiences of churches - ACNY is limited in what it can tell you about a church.

The Basingstoke Community churches are all part of the same group of churches and share ministers/pastors.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer.

I have known people from Christ Church, Chineham, which is why I suggested it. But I realize to my horror that this was over 10 years ago now, so the church may have changed a bit.

I also used to know a few people from the Good Shepherd in Winklebury - another one that might be worth thinking about if it isn't too far from the centre of Basingrad.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PM sent from not-Westphalia

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Basingstoke you will be spoiled for choice if you want a conservative evangelical church. It is much harder to find anything non conservative. St Mary's Eastrop is Reform, all of the independent evangelical churches are headship churches and Chineham is pretty conservative from what I hear.

If you want a weekly Eucharist then the Basingstoke Team are mostly in the middle of C of E churchmanship. Christ the King is open evangelical, St Peter's and St Michael's are liberal catholic and All Saints is gently AC.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

OtG - sorry for misreading it! Chineham is the right side of Basingstoke, but awkward to get to if coming into Basingstoke via public transport. I would end up having to get another bus.

Qoheleth. - will PM you back. I do know about All Saints, just haven't been able to get there!

Poppy - I feared that was the case. In that case I may as well save money and stick to St Mary's Tadley (and maybe St Michael's RC for Saturday evening mass since St Mary's has the dreaded All Age Worship on some Sundays). I have been to St Michael's Basingstoke and liked the clergy team (I went to the Friday lunchtime Eucharist) but not sure I can justify the bus fare at the minute. Christ the King actually sounds really good, it'd just require two buses now (the number 2 bus used to go to Brighton Hill but now only goes as far as the bus station). Rev Alison is the local vocations adviser so I do need to see her at some point anyway!

Anyone know anything about the Basingstoke area RC churches? I'm also always intrigued by the gospel hall (I think a Baptist one rather than Brethren) in Sherborne St John when going through there - it's just in someone's house.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm also always intrigued by the gospel hall in Sherborne St John when going through there - it's just in someone's house.

Pic for interest.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

What Poppy said.

Christ Church Chineham is also a Reform Linked Church where "one or more of the leadership at this church is a member of Reform". Trinity Methodist would count as gently evangelical, I think. St Bede's in Popley is now the centre for RC worship, with a wide range of styles available.

<tangent> Never before have I seen advertised "Please be aware there is no Toddler Group tomorrow due to IT Upgrade." [Eek!]

--------------------

ST
Shipmate
# 14600

- Posted      Profile for ST     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Immanuel Church, Hatchwarren could be worth a look. The new vicar there is, by inclination, charismatic catholic - so something a bit different (and certainly not Reform!). Not sure what buses are like to get there though.

--------------------
Formerly nowsouthwest - but moved!

Posts: 114 | From: No longer in the South-west of the UK! | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016