homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Celebration of the Word with holy Communion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Celebration of the Word with holy Communion
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest just didnt show today.

And so without further ado, a 'leading' layperson simply told us this, and then led a Celebration of the word with holy Communion.

It was really uplifting and good, and a real blessing , even though the eucharist was nt celebrated as such, 'officially'. It felt similar.

It is wonderful how things work / the spirit works.

We said the Gloria as a thanksgiving after Communion, and this felt very familiar from boyhood Communions under the care of Arhbishop Cranmer ! [Angel]

Hope this ok as my first thread here

[ 26. November 2014, 13:51: Message edited by: fullgospel ]

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fullgospel:
The priest just didnt show today.

And so without further ado, a 'leading' layperson simply told us this, and then led a Celebration of the word with holy Communion.

Communion from the reserved Sacrament, right?

[ 26. November 2014, 13:54: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope your priest is all right. Not showing is rather unusual.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the 'leading' layperson (Reader? Churchwarden?) did know the reason, but was being discreet!

Brownie points to the leader, though, for obviously doing it well.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, although it wasn't Communion, I once went down with the flu at 8 pm on Christmas Eve - a lay-preacher from our church had to read the service I had prepared on the Day itself. Fortunately I write a full script, not just notes.

I had led a service on Christmas Eve afternoon with no problem: the illness hit me hard and fast!

[ 26. November 2014, 17:30: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this was,as I suppose, an RC church,then the person would be designated as a 'Minister of the Eucharist' He or she would have been authorised by the parish priest and the local bishop to distribute Communion as an 'Extraordinary Minister' and possibly to lead a' Service of the Word and Communion in the absence of a priest'.

This is now a fairly common occurrence during the week and sometimes also on Sundays in the RC church.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Lamb (and the rest of our family) went down with the flu HARD two weeks ago and we basically had to cancel church, not having anybody at all qualified and willing to lead.

I've done it in the past but I was out too.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
If this was,as I suppose, an RC church,then the person would be designated as a 'Minister of the Eucharist' He or she would have been authorised by the parish priest and the local bishop to distribute Communion as an 'Extraordinary Minister' and possibly to lead a' Service of the Word and Communion in the absence of a priest'.

This is now a fairly common occurrence during the week and sometimes also on Sundays in the RC church.

Indeed, but then the act of receiving communion in the Roman Catholic tradition has always been separable from the celebration of the mass to some extent. They have come together in the last fifty years, but historically they are not bound tightly together.

In the Anglican understanding, they are much more tightly bound together. You don't take communion to the sick in the BCP: you celebrate communion with the sick. It's an important difference, and it's one that's carefully guarded even to some extent in Common Worship. So there is a form for "Public Worship with Communion by Extension", but it is tightly regulated as to how it's used. Technically, you need the bishop's permission on every occasion, though I'm sure you could ask for it retroactively in situations like the OP's and receive a sympathetic response.

Some parishes make a regular feature of it, but they shouldn't.

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So you're really saying that you can gather together but are unable to worship?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are all sorts of ways to worship. One of them involves celebrating the eucharist. Only that one involves having a priest around.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OPer's reference to Cranmer led me to assume that s/he is an Anglican, as this kind of service is now becoming more common in the C of E. I've led one or two such myself on occasions when a Eucharist has been scheduled, but the priest has been unavailable at short notice.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
So you're really saying that you can gather together but are unable to worship?

Depends very much on your congregation (people AND size) but ours is very small and has deathly shy people. As in, scared to stand up front and read out of book, let alone anything else. Which is why I had to lead worship once, in spite of my denomination policies.

We're working on it.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The OPer's reference to Cranmer led me to assume that s/he is an Anglican, as this kind of service is now becoming more common in the C of E. I've led one or two such myself on occasions when a Eucharist has been scheduled, but the priest has been unavailable at short notice.

Ian J.

If you read the prayer thread you will notice that he has very recently swum the Tiber (Laus Deo). The reference is to a RC Service of the Word with Communion, which is commoner these days than you would think, especially in the mission field.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Uncle Pete. Not quite sure what to make of your Laus Deo remark, though..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he is glad that the OPer did not drown on the way over(Laus Deo semper)
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Possibly - but as I am in A Foul Mood today, I might also remark that the cross-Tiber lot could do with all the help they can get.......

......so before the Hosts get to me, I'll get me coat!

Ian J.

--------------------

Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now....

It is more unusual, I submit, for a priest of any sort to find that he only has consecrated bread in the tabernacle/aumbry and has failed to procure unconsecrated bread beforehand. This may happen in rural areas where stations and the faithful are few and far between.

But that's another oddity.

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016