homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » (Immaculate) Conception: December 8th

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: (Immaculate) Conception: December 8th
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if you keep this fest in your own prayer life or at your church.

I know its important to some Christians and I wonder what sort of prayers and thoughts it 'sparks off'.

I'd like to discuss this, not as a contentious thing, but more is the day helpful or not spiritually, and liturgically, for you.

I ask because I feel there is something in it - about God working unseen within history, within human biology... and I'd want somehow to see that aspect brought forward in worship / prayer.

Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wish I was in Sevilla and could see authentic liturgical dance!

At 17:30 hours today and every day this week of the Immaculate Conception the following is on offer:

CELEBRACIÓN DE LA PALABRA Y ADORACIÓN EUCARÍSTICA CON BAILE DE SEISES

[ 08. December 2014, 11:38: Message edited by: american piskie ]

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Magnus the Martyr London Bridge, which currently features on another thread. The Society of Our Lady of Salve Regina (I quote that from memory) has an annual observance of the Immaculate Conception at that church on the nearest Saturday to the feast.

I have looked in vain on-line for details of that for this year; I would have gone along if I were able. It might have been Saturday just gone, or it might be this coming Saturday if it is on.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solemn High Mass tonight, followed by reception.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walsingham Mass tomorrow( vicar's day off today).

Tis feast is very important to me and my reasons are here.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not a feast that enters much into popular culture is it? I mean there are not folk customs or home customs associated with it.

I guess because its mainly doctrinal.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we should invent some? A good way to begin would be a special (yummy) food to be served at the holiday, the way Yule Logs are tied to Xmas, turkey to Thanksgiving and ham (and candy) to Easter.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

And what food would you suggest for this feast, I wonder [Smile]
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ireland it is a public holiday and I believe the traditional day for a Christmas shopping trip to Dublin. A pint of Guiness and Dublin Bay Prawns in a basket? (Fish in Advent.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dread to think....... [Confused]

The Conception of the BVM was duly observed at Morning Prayer today, as per the Franciscan Office (and C of E Common Worship ).

No mention of any immaculateness - A Fond Thing Vainly Invented, IMNSHO. Even our former Churchwarden (now across the Tiber, and one of Our Lady's most devoted devotees) reckoned the idea was not essential to salvation! (I keep wanting to ask him if he has accepted Mary as his personal Co-Redemptrix, but Father says I mustn't be naughty....).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Xmas, and Easter and such, have managed to do is to get the consumer culture behind it. It is necessary to buy the (tree, eggs, gifts, baskets, etc. etc.) to celebrate the holiday. And therefore all the businesses and stores are strongly invested in reminding you of the holiday, having sales to help you buy the stuff, and so on.

So! To popularize Conception, we need to get commerce behind it. Food is clearly the easiest to get going from a grass-roots level The Conception food should be vaguely appropriate, absolutely delicious, and essentially give the populace the excuse to consume it. (I have to eat these chocolates, my boyfriend gave them to me for St. Valentine's Day. Well it is incumbent upon me to eat the turkey, after Mother worked so hard to roast it for Xmas...)

Roman-era Palestine was not especially noted for thrilling cuisine, so we have here a blank slate upon which we can write anything. How about flan? A milk-and-egg custard with burnt sugar on the top?

--------------------

fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:
I wonder if you keep this fest in your own prayer life or at your church.

I know its important to some Christians and I wonder what sort of prayers and thoughts it 'sparks off'.

I'd like to discuss this, not as a contentious thing, but more is the day helpful or not spiritually, and liturgically, for you.

I ask because I feel there is something in it - about God working unseen within history, within human biology... and I'd want somehow to see that aspect brought forward in worship / prayer.

I love this comment. Its spirit and intent is kind of quietly creative, istm.

I too am stuck by its inwardness.,

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe some form of Conception Cake would do the trick, Brenda ?!

I wonder what recipe would be best. [Smile]

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God does indeed work within, and through, the human biology which he has created. I find no problem with the idea that the creator of the multiverse could arrange for Mary to become pregnant with Jesus, through the 'working' of the Holy Spirit - but why the need to take it any further back? If Mary was Conceived Immaculate, what about Anne and Joachim (traditionally thought of as her parents)?

Ian J

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were celebrating today, it would be the Conception of the BVM. I'm not opposed to its immaculateness, but I don't see a pressing reason to affirm it either. My world certainly wouldn't collapse either way.

Last year it fell on Advent II, and was duly commemorated at Sunday Mass.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
God does indeed work within, and through, the human biology which he has created. I find no problem with the idea that the creator of the multiverse could arrange for Mary to become pregnant with Jesus, through the 'working' of the Holy Spirit - but why the need to take it any further back? If Mary was Conceived Immaculate, what about Anne and Joachim (traditionally thought of as her parents)?

Ian J

It doesn't work like that. If you read the encyclical Ineffabilis Deus (I recommend it: it's a good read) then you'll see it's not about necessity. It's actually about Mary's ability to freely choose (on behalf of humanity) to participate in salvation. A sinful Mary could not agree of her own accord (i.e. without compulsion) to her role in the Incarnation.

In my view it's not necessary for the Christian faith, but it makes more sense than celebrating the conception of Mary.

If you look at the calendar, the only conceptions celebrated are Jesus' and Mary's. The only nativities are Jesus', Mary's, and John's. This is because they were considered "sinless" occasions.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find no problem with the idea that the creator of the multiverse could arrange for Mary to become pregnant with Jesus, through the 'working' of the Holy Spirit - but why the need to take it any further back? If Mary was Conceived Immaculate, what about Anne and Joachim?

You're not confusing (are you?) the notion that Mary, "by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin" (Encyclical Ineffabilis Deus of Pope Pius IX), with the false notion that she was conceived in Anne's womb without Joachim and Anne having had intercourse (a belief not taught by the Church)?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
If I were celebrating today, it would be the Conception of the BVM. I'm not opposed to its immaculateness, but I don't see a pressing reason to affirm it either. My world certainly wouldn't collapse either way.

I'm definitely with you on that. And I can't help but think that somewhere in the heavenly realm, Ss. Joachim and Anna are squirming with embarrassment that we continue to make a big celebration about that one particular time they had sex.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:

I'm definitely with you on that. And I can't help but think that somewhere in the heavenly realm, Ss. Joachim and Anna are squirming with embarrassment that we continue to make a big celebration about that one particular time they had sex.
But surely making the feast about the conception rather than its immaculateness places the emphasis precisely on what SSA&J did rather than on God's gracious action?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
But surely making the feast about the conception rather than its immaculateness places the emphasis precisely on what SSA&J did rather than on God's gracious action?

That. She would have been free of original sin if she had sprung from a seashell, or if the stork had brought her, or if Anne and Joachim had "done it" -- whatever.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kept (keep) the feast because it is my birthday, also the birthday of one of my oldest friends (Feast of the Virgin, how apt the cry!).

We kept the feast yesterday by downing 3 bottles of good champagne, interspersed with girolles & black truffle ravioli in a delightful sauce, some freshwater crayfish with sauce verte, etc. All rounded off with coupe noire - thats ice cream with hot chocolate sauce to you.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Immaculate or otherwise, I am sure that the BVM is the only saint who has his or her conception commemorated in the Church's Kalendar. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

That surely makes Mary's conception unique in some way or other.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It features in the C of E's Common Worship calendar, perhaps as a sop to those of the A-C persuasion (who, probably, keep to the RCC observance, anyway)!

It does not feature in the list of Marian observances in our 'Masses of the Holy House of Our Lady of Walsingham' booklet. These are:
1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Word made Flesh (the Johannine Prologue)
4. The Visit of the Shepherds
5. The Wedding at Cana
6. Our Lady, Type of the Church (Mary at the cross)

All scriptural, you note.......... [Two face]

Ian J.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Champagne, there you go. Exactly what one should serve to commemorate the feast. If we could create a champagne cocktail that would be even better.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

What about Kirsch Royale? Champagne and kirsch liqueur - a French concoction, AIUI, and extremely more-ish.......

Ian J.

--------------------

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Immaculate or otherwise, I am sure that the BVM is the only saint who has his or her conception commemorated in the Church's Kalendar. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

Correct. And, historically, her conception is celebrated precisely because it occurred without sin.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It features in the C of E's Common Worship calendar, perhaps as a sop to those of the A-C persuasion (who, probably, keep to the RCC observance, anyway)! ...

Somewhat surprisingly, that is not the case. It's one of a number of Saint's Days etc that have always been in the calendar at the beginning of the 1662 BCP. They aren't mentioned in the text and nothing is provided for them. But they are there. I can confirm this by checking against a prayer book from 1803, which is a clear generation before even Keble's Assize Sermon.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

So it is, in my 1828 edition of the BCP!

Well, well. I stand corrected...

Ian J.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Brazil, Our Lady of Immaculate Conception is identified with Yemoja, the Orisha of the seas. Thousands of people go to the beach in white clothes to offer her flowers. It's very beautiful.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Here in Brazil, Our Lady of Immaculate Conception is identified with Yemoja, the Orisha of the seas. Thousands of people go to the beach in white clothes to offer her flowers. It's very beautiful.

But not by faithful Catholics, who (one hopes) would be trained to reject Santería, Candomblé, and other syncretistic or pantheistic religious practices--no matter how ingrained in the popular culture, or dressed up like Catholicism, they may sometimes be.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The genius of the Catholic Church has been to build on folk religion and inculturate it, not reject it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Flowers seems appropriate for the BVM, and you know the floral industry will play. Liquor is always good. So, champagne and flowers, which is bringing this notional holiday closer and closer to Valentine's Day.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
It features in the C of E's Common Worship calendar, perhaps as a sop to those of the A-C persuasion (who, probably, keep to the RCC observance, anyway)! ...

Somewhat surprisingly, that is not the case. It's one of a number of Saint's Days etc that have always been in the calendar at the beginning of the 1662 BCP. They aren't mentioned in the text and nothing is provided for them. But they are there.
Certainly, anyone looking for Mass readings (never mind MP and EP) in the RCL will be disappointed [Disappointed] I mean, other festivals get their own readings, but the Conception got a blank space next to the word "or", with only the Mass readings for the (Advent) day being offered.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon Kershaw's online lectionary (via Oremus) gives the Exciting Holiness mass readings for the BVM.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ceremoniar: But not by faithful Catholics, who (one hopes) would be trained to reject Santería, Candomblé, and other syncretistic or pantheistic religious practices--no matter how ingrained in the popular culture, or dressed up like Catholicism, they may sometimes be.
Not often. There are different views within Catholicism of course, but many are rather open towards Candomblé. For example, a friend of mine here is a Catholic priest and he openly wears a necklace in the colors of Yemoja. He's no exception.

It's different with Evangelical churches. Most of them are often very anti-Candomblé here, but Catholicism not so much.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Simon Kershaw's online lectionary (via Oremus) gives the Exciting Holiness mass readings for the BVM.

I went on to do EP after posting that, and spotted that there wasn't a blank space, rather "Common BVM". In general the ECL doesn't want to be specific about her death, birth and conception. I think we have the same collect for each one as well.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you read the encyclical Ineffabilis Deus (I recommend it: it's a good read) then you'll see it's not about necessity. It's actually about Mary's ability to freely choose (on behalf of humanity) to participate in salvation. A sinful Mary could not agree of her own accord (i.e. without compulsion) to her role in the Incarnation.

Having just read Ineffabilis Deus, I did not see that at all. But then I got rather confused by being told that Mary was Noah's Ark, the burning bush, etc.

But, if it is true, does that mean that we cannot freely choose to participate in our salvation?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:
Its not a feast that enters much into popular culture is it? I mean there are not folk customs or home customs associated with it.

I think that depends on the culture. I gather from a Filipino friend that in the former Spanish Empire, it's a much bigger deal. (Girls born on the day are liable to be named Concepción or Conchita). F.X. Weiser seems to back this up on p. 294 of this pdf:

quote:
Because of its very recent establishment as a holyday of obligation, this feast has not developed any popular customs and traditions except in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries where it has been a great public feast day for the past three hundred years.
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:

In the Western Church, that is indeed so. In the East, both the Conception of the Theotokos or Conception of St Anna and the Conception of the Forerunner are celebrated. (Neither is called "immaculate" because they don't have to cut that particular Augustinian knot).

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Tis feast is very important to me and my reasons are here.

I've grown rather fond of the defence given in F. Hastings Smyth's "eirenic essay".
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
If you read the encyclical Ineffabilis Deus (I recommend it: it's a good read) then you'll see it's not about necessity. It's actually about Mary's ability to freely choose (on behalf of humanity) to participate in salvation. A sinful Mary could not agree of her own accord (i.e. without compulsion) to her role in the Incarnation.

Having just read Ineffabilis Deus, I did not see that at all. But then I got rather confused by being told that Mary was Noah's Ark, the burning bush, etc.

But, if it is true, does that mean that we cannot freely choose to participate in our salvation?

Not in the same way as Mary, no.

Since the fall nothing we do is pure. Out of any given congregation at any given time how many are there because they sincerely want to worship the Lord Jesus? How many are there because they want to gas to their friends? How many are there out of sheer habit? How many are there because they want to blag their kids into the local church school? One mustn't despair about the salvation of any of them because if God insisted all of us had pure motives for everything we did we'd all be a bit stuffed.

Now, imagine one day an angel turns up and announces: "Fear not! I bring glad tidings! God's got a little job for you!" Now part of you may well think. "My soul rejoices! My Lord has called me to his service!" But part of you thinks. "Do I have to?" and another part thinks "Fuck me! An Angel! I don't want to piss him off!" You see, mixed motives. Now the older school of theologians thought that it was meet and right that Mary should assent freely to the incarnation. Which is, er, meet and, indeed, right.

But there's also the point that in most cases when an Angel turns up and announces: "Baby! Incoming!" it involves a couple who have been trying for a baby and are bitterly disappointed with the outcome. In this instance it involves a young woman who knows not a man. It is, therefore, pretty meet and right that the young woman concerned has complete freedom in the matter. By and large, it is not generally considered appropriate in enlightened societies to tell women that their job is to pop out sprogs and their opinion in the matter is frankly irrelevant.

It's quite a good thing that Mary was not subservient to the Lord Of This World, when she assented to become the Mother of the Word Made Flesh. It's an even better thing that God Almighty did not behave like The Lord Of This World in making her the Mother of the Word Made Flesh, IYSWIM.

God saves most of us despite ourselves. He doesn't make us have babies despite ourselves. Which may be a reason for the difference.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
It's quite a good thing that Mary was not subservient to the Lord Of This World, when she assented to become the Mother of the Word Made Flesh. It's an even better thing that God Almighty did not behave like The Lord Of This World in making her the Mother of the Word Made Flesh, IYSWIM.

God saves most of us despite ourselves. He doesn't make us have babies despite ourselves. Which may be a reason for the difference.

Wuh? Who is The Lord Of This World if not the one who created it and saw that it was good? If you mean the Devil isn't that Dualist and heretical?

Besides which
quote:
From the very beginning, and before time began, the eternal Father chose and prepared for his only-begotten Son a Mother in whom the Son of God would become incarnate and from whom, in the blessed fullness of time, he would be born into this world.
doesn't suggest to me that Mary had much say in the matter.

On the other hand, if she was not fully human, then I can stop beating myself up for not being the perfect wife and mother as she was. [Two face]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
[qb] It's quite a good thing that Mary was not subservient to the Lord Of This World, when she assented to become the Mother of the Word Made Flesh. It's an even better thing that God Almighty did not behave like The Lord Of This World in making her the Mother of the Word Made Flesh, IYSWIM.

Wuh? Who is The Lord Of This World if not the one who created it and saw that it was good? If you mean the Devil isn't that Dualist and heretical?
You're quite right. That should have been The Prince Of This World. If you think that is Dualist and heretical I suggest you write to the Inquisition denouncing a certain St. John the Evangelist. You may wish to denounce the gentleman that he was denouncing, a certain, Lord Jesus Christ whom, I imagine, is the second son of the Duke of Christ.

quote:
Besides which
quote:
From the very beginning, and before time began, the eternal Father chose and prepared for his only-begotten Son a Mother in whom the Son of God would become incarnate and from whom, in the blessed fullness of time, he would be born into this world.
doesn't suggest to me that Mary had much say in the matter.

On the other hand, if she was not fully human, then I can stop beating myself up for not being the perfect wife and mother as she was. [Two face]

There is a difference between freedom and unpredictability. God foresaw that Mary, given perfect freedom would respond to the message of the Angel without needing to have a Plan B up his sleeve. "OK, guys, she said no! Let's get on to the Virgin Tracy!". But the decision was made in perfect freedom, by Mary.

Another analogy. At services of Lessons and Carols with limited resources I generally persuade a young lady with a pleasant voice to start us off with a solo rendition of 'Once in Royal David's City'. Now quite often we go through this little drama whereby the young lady concerned is very intimidated by the request but eventually accedes and then, on the date in question, is a bit initmidated and has to be persuaded that I have perfect faith in her and then launches into a heartbreakingly beautiful rendition of the first verse before the organ crashes in and the congregation come in with the second verse and we all go on from there. Now the thing is I choose my young ladies with care and the whole thing, to me, runs like clockwork but to the young ladies concerned it often feels like an agonising Kierkegaardian leap into the dark until the first note leaves their throat and they realise that they can do this. As I say, it is an analogy. The whole point of the immaculate conception is that this has been willed where what is willed must be and also it is a completely free decision. There is somewhere, a very good illustration of this point by an unknown 17th Century Artist where a warrior angel Gabriel kneels in anxious anticipation at the feet of Mary (rather than the other way around) who is studying the scriptures, (presumably looking at the Prophecy of Isaiah).

In a sense, if there is a synthesis between the claims of freewill and the claims of predestination they happen at the moment when Mary responds: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord".

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with our failures as parents. I hope I'm not a complete dead loss and I'm sure you are not either but it's not difficult to see why God might have taken extra trouble with the rearing of the saviour of humanity.

[ 11. December 2014, 20:32: Message edited by: Callan ]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016