homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The General and the Pontiff

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The General and the Pontiff
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really excited about this ; I just had to share it with Shipmates:

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an ecumenical spirit, perhaps others have seen the video the Pope sent to American Pentecostal leaders.

Here's the video, with speeches preceeding and following it. The Pope's video starts at about 31:44.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does give bit of hope doesn't it ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope of/for what exactly?
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

Well, recognising as they both did, that there are theological differences between us and the RC Church, the hope we speak of is a greater willingness to work together.

In a world that is increasingly indifferent or hostile to the church, we need to be closing ranks together against the attacks, not fighting amongst ourselves.

To my mind the blood of Christ that cleanses from all sin is the important common denominator - whether one receives its grace at the Catholic Mass or at the Salvation Army Mercy Seat.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pleased to see it but not sure I'm 'excited' about it - but then, I can get a bit Eeyore at times about the prospect of genuine ecumenical dialogue ...

I've certainly heard RC priests express admiration for the Salvation Army and its work and I'm sure Mudfrog has too.

I think it's certainly the case that the RCs and the Salvationists meet 'at the peripheries of society' - and indeed that any other of the various Christian traditions can meet there too - if they are prepared to get their hands as dirty as the SA does and those RC and other agencies which might meet them there.

I must admit, I do like this current Pontiff from what I've seen so far.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the first Jesus in the City* in the 1990s. Back then it was a heady mix, with Wild Goose, Roman Catholics as well as Evangelicals. There was the time when a Evangelical Protestant Northern Irish leader hugged a Catholic Franciscan brother. There was also the comment made that for people ministering at the margins it is more often others in such ministry who understand rather than those of the same tradition.

It has shrunk from those heady days and the constituency is not nearly as broad.

Jengie

*That links to 2013 as the overarching www.jitc.org.uk domain registration has lapsed. The detail for 2010, and 2007

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From Mudfrog's link:
In a first private audience in the Vatican with a Salvation Army general on Friday, Pope Francis said theological differences do not impede the witness of a shared love of God and neighbour.

Theological differences are a matter of opinion. Our requirement to love God and our neighbour isn't. So this can only be positive. Gaudete!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

A better world?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This chap called Doug Batchelor clearly doesn't approve. Has any shipmate ever heard of him, or can say anything about him? As far as I'm aware, he's unknown here. Is he greatly respected or widely regarded as a nut job?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's... different [Ultra confused]

I was kinda tempted to click on his 'Countdown to Armageddon' video but somehow resisted...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems some in the adventist fold might regard him as a bit of a mixed blessing, while others would think he's overdone the ecumenical stuff.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
This chap called Doug Batchelor clearly doesn't approve. Has any shipmate ever heard of him, or can say anything about him? As far as I'm aware, he's unknown here. Is he greatly respected or widely regarded as a nut job?

I've seen Doug Batchelor's show "Amazing Facts" inadvertently while flipping channels. I don't know how highly regarded he is in End Time Prophecy (TM) circles. What I've heard of his views sounds a lot like garden-variety dispensataionalism. Certainly the story linked in the OP does--any form of ecumenism is a harbinger of "One World Religion" and thus of the Antichrist.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
... Certainly the story linked in the OP does--any form of ecumenism is a harbinger of "One World Religion" and thus of the Antichrist.

So schism is a sign that 'it is well, it is well with my soul'? [Waterworks]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
... Certainly the story linked in the OP does--any form of ecumenism is a harbinger of "One World Religion" and thus of the Antichrist.

So schism is a sign that 'it is well, it is well with my soul'? [Waterworks]
Certainly fundamentalists seem more comfortable with schism if it keeps them (in their minds) doctrinally pure, since they'll often split churches at the drop of a hat. As an example, the church I belonged to as a teenager nearly split (this was before my time) over whether to baptize in the name of "the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" or of "the Lord Jesus Christ." Both formulas are mentioned in the NT. They resolved the matter by agreeing to use both, but I still think that's a pretty good illustration.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well as RCs here and many Anglicans here would not acknowledge baptism if only in the name of Lord Jesus Christ, he was perhaps not as unduly schismatic as you think.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016