homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Length of Funerals (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Length of Funerals
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
There are not particularly religious people today who demand that their funeral be a totally joyful occasion, full of bright clothes, lively music and jokes. Their friends and relatives try to honour their wishes. ...

Thank you Svetlana for that. I've encountered this too, several times, and the way you've expressed it has crystallised for me why I don't think it works and why it's always left me uneasy.

Broadly, without a lively hope in the Resurrection, a funeral is not a joyful occasion. Trying to persuade one another it is because the deceased has left the message that he or she doesn't want us to be miserable, is not only a lie. It's also telling us what someone else thinks we should feel, and not allowing us to feel what we actually do feel.

Even at a Christian funeral of someone who has achieved a fulness of years and has possibly borne sickness and pain, we're still sad that they've gone. We'd rather have them here, full of life and vigour.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've spent the best part of 2 days with an old friend helping her with planning her father's funeral.

She's one of four: all broadly unchurched, although the friend did sing in a church choir up to the age of 14 or so.

Anyway - spent time going through service (as per CofE website planner, etc) - all this with the agreement of the clergyman taking the service because friend, widow and other close relatives all 300 miles away from where service will be. Got it all sorted when BANG: friend's youngest brother comes up with "We thought it would be nice if Phoebe and Hector recited some poems they've written during the service". Left it to friend to point out that since Phoebe and Hector are 5 and 3 years old reading aloud in a strange building to 200+ people may not be within their grasp.

Where do people get these weird ideas from?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[brick wall] [Projectile]
Comes as no surprise, if I may say so, that the kids are called something like Phoebe and Hector.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main thing at a funeral is to have a good cry.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is right it should be so;

(Blake)

The Christian faith is indeed in escatological hope, but Christ only gets to the Resurrection through the cross and passion.

Likewise, we can only know the greatness of Christian hope and joy if we have known desolation first.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attended the Requiem Mass for a local dignitary on Saturday. After the opening hymn, the priest gave the greeting, which was then followed by three eulogies and a PowerPoint presentation, before the liturgy proper finally got underway about 30 minutes later. Total service length about 1 hour 55 minutes. A couple of the elderly notables present seemed to find this a severe strain on bladder capacity.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just back from the funeral of one of my aged aunts.

First off was service in church - with tribute delivered by my cousin.

Hymns: Calon Lān, Jerusalem the Golden, The Lord my pasture shall prepare

Service: the Church in Wales funeral, taken in English.

Then off to the crem where the remainder of the service was in Welsh.

Combined time (not including travel between two places) and hour and a half.

Wake that followed mostly taken up with discussion about the likely team for the first of the Six Nations matches.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
bad man
Apprentice
# 17449

- Posted      Profile for bad man     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of not getting the funeral you hoped for, I'm irresistibly reminded of Thomas Hardy's poem "The Choirmaster's Burial" or "The Tenor Man's Song", as set to music by Benjamin Britten.

Bad Man: You've quoted a whole lot more than is appropriate for reasons of copyright. I appreciate that the 4-5 line guideline would not be sufficient to make your point in this case, but fortunately you have provided a link that anyone interested can use. I have therefore deleted your quote. Thanks. John Holding - Eccles Host

[ 03. March 2015, 23:59: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 49 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Total service length about 1 hour 55 minutes. A couple of the elderly notables present seemed to find this a severe strain on bladder capacity.

Applies to those of us who are not notables, local or otherwise, as well. Even if we're just getting on a bit and not yet at the elderly stage. 75 minutes is plenty long enough for a service allowing all the time needed for everyone to take communion. No eulogy more than 5 minutes, and a grand total limit of 15.

This time last year, we went to the funeral of a man who in his life had given great service to his community and his church. 45 minutes of eulogy from a son, full of fart jokes, did his memory no good at all. A few weeks beforehand, another funeral, another man who had given great service to his and a wider community and to his church. A full requiem; even with a congregation of close on 300, most taking communion, it took 75 minutes including a couple of heartfelt eulogies from his children. Both services straight APBA

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bad man:
On the subject of not getting the funeral you hoped for, I'm irresistibly reminded of Thomas Hardy's poem "The Choirmaster's Burial" or "The Tenor Man's Song", as set to music by Benjamin Britten.

Great composer though Britten might be, that's a bizarrely inapposite setting for a poem about a pre-Oxford movement village musician.

This should take you to the tune of Mount Ephraim and this to the words.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

This is Vital Spark and was very popular at funerals in the Hardy era. This particular recording is possibly a bit slow, particularly for modern tastes. Here it is sung in a more familiar style. It's a setting of an ode by Pope. As originally sung, it was exactly the sort of church music Oxford Movement clergy really loathed.

I've long suspected that the famous Clyde puffer was named after this hymn.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016