homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mystery Worshipper No. 2822: St Gobhan

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mystery Worshipper No. 2822: St Gobhan
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2822: St Gobhan (Seagoe Parish Church), Portadown, Northern Ireland

Just thought I'd point out that 'Danny Boy' is not the Irish National Anthem, lol!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link to the report. Please remember to supply same when starting a thread about a MW report.

I probably should have fact-checked that bit, but the report was written by a resident of Northern Ireland and what do I, a Yank, know? I think we'll let it stand until the reporter comes forward (if he so wishes) to comment.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tune (as opposed to the words that often go with it) is usually known as "Londonderry Air", at least in hymnbooks. I believe there is some debate as to whether it is a genuine folk-tune or a "composed" one. "Danny Boy" is only one set of words used with the tune, among many.

Certainly in England (I can't speak for NI) it is often used in churches to accompany the words "I cannot tell why he, who angels worship ...". Again, other words are available. The only difficulty is that is has a rather wide range which - depending on the key chosen - either leaves sopranos and tenors growling on the bottom notes, or altos and basses gasping for air on the high ones.

(Piglet, we have need of thee!)

[ 19. February 2015, 14:06: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also sung a hymn to the tune of Oh Danny Boy on a few occasions. It always evokes some sniggering from the congregation, as does the hymn that's sung to the tune of Deutschland Deutschland über alles (I forget what it's called).

The strangest I've heard is a hymn that someone put to the theme music of Match of the Day.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a version of the "Gloria" to the tune of "Eastenders". And why not? It is only following the examples of William Booth and Martin Luther.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The House of the Rising Sun' is in Common Metre. I've heard Amazing Grace sung to it in stead of the more usual tune.

I'm sure many shipmates will have sung a metrical version of Ps 46 God is our strength and refuge to the tune of the March of the Dam Busters.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Indeed!
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend's local Anglican church sings the Gloria to the tune of Ode To Joy. She was raised in an independent charismatic church so had no idea it wasn't the normal setting until I commented on how bizarre it sounded.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
'The House of the Rising Sun' is in Common Metre. I've heard Amazing Grace sung to it in stead of the more usual tune.

There's a cracking version of this version of Amazing Grace, sung by the Blind Boys of Alabama. Awesome!

(For some reason, I nearly posted "the Bling Boys of Alabama"! Preview post to the rescue)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
...the hymn that's sung to the tune of Deutschland Deutschland über alles (I forget what it's called).

"Glorious things of thee are spoken" (at least that's what it is in the U.S. Episcopal hymnal).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That tune is Austria IIRC (Glorious things I mean)

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
There is a version of the "Gloria" to the tune of "Eastenders". And why not? It is only following the examples of William Booth and Martin Luther.

Examples which, at least in Luther's case, are almost entirely mythical.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The translation of the words sung to the tune Austria is actually German, German overalls (according to Flanders and Swann).

I'll get me coat....but before I go, it seems to me, from reading the MW Report, that the welcome before the service from other worshippers (if not officials) was quite friendly - so it's a pity the standard wasn't upheld later!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have joined in on the coach back from Walsingham singing to the tune of the Derry Air the words

Joy to thee, Queen, within thy ancient dowry,
Joy to thee, Queen, for once again thy name...

Not one you'd come across in the C of I. And it's one of those tunes best not sung totally sober.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
2822: St Gobhan (Seagoe Parish Church), Portadown, Northern Ireland

Just thought I'd point out that 'Danny Boy' is not the Irish National Anthem, lol!

Well indeed. I'd find it hard to imagine a hymn set to Amhran na bhFiann - apologies for missing out the fada but it breaks the URL coding - even more so that to the 'Londonderry Air' (the most common words to which were, I believe written in London).

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The translation of the words sung to the tune Austria is actually German, German overalls (according to Flanders and Swann).

Such a great song..... (the Flanders and Swann one, I mean)

"All the world over, each nation's the same;
They've simply no notion of playing the game.
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won;
and they practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thought.

The national anthem of the United Kingdom is God save the Queen.

In international rugby matches it is however only used when the English team is playing.

The Welsh team use Land of my fathers and the Scots Flower of the Forest.

Would Danny Boy be used in analogous situations, on the basis that God save the Queen or the anthem of the Republic of Ireland, although acceptable to some of the population of the province, would be totally unacceptable to others?

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Portadown is not in the Irish Republic. So the anthem question is what is the Northern Irish equivalent of Land of my Fathers and Flower of Scotland?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, should they ever win gold at the Commonwealth Games, the Londonderry Air / Danny Boy would be sung for Northern Ireland. But it is not an official national anthem as that would be God Save the Queen. It doesn't happen at the Rugby Six Nations as Ireland and Northern Ireland field one team.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Pigwidgeon. I have a memory like a sieve when it comes to people's names and the titles of hymns.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Would Danny Boy be used in analogous situations, on the basis that God save the Queen or the anthem of the Republic of Ireland, although acceptable to some of the population of the province, would be totally unacceptable to others?

They tend to sing 'Ireland's Call', which is just as well because our national anthem is a hideous mess on many levels.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
...the hymn that's sung to the tune of Deutschland Deutschland über alles (I forget what it's called).

"Glorious things of thee are spoken" (at least that's what it is in the U.S. Episcopal hymnal).
I seem to recall being told that it's blacklisted from the "playlist" for the carillon bells at GTS, Chelsea having a healthy Jewish presence.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Portadown is not in the Irish Republic.

I know that. I was imagining that a signifcant minority of the population of Northern Ireland would like it to be. And they'd kick up hell to hear God save the Queen.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Knopwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I seem to recall being told that it's blacklisted from the "playlist" for the carillon bells at GTS, Chelsea having a healthy Jewish presence.
Which is a bit silly, since the use of the Deutschlandlied preceded the Nazi regime, and indeed it is still the national anthem of Germany.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to sing "Sing to the Lord a joyful song, Lift up your hearts your voices raise" to the theme to Van der Valk in school.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by Fr Weber

Which is a bit silly, since the use of the Deutschlandlied preceded the Nazi regime, and indeed it is still the national anthem of Germany.

Yes, it was brought to prominence as the anthem of the attempted revolution of 1848 in Germany, the words an invitation to put Germany as a whole before loyalty to the individual states, a sentiment which at that time was associated with a liberal point of view.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Just thought.

The national anthem of the United Kingdom is God save the Queen.

In international rugby matches it is however only used when the English team is playing.

The Welsh team use Land of my fathers and the Scots Flower of the Forest.

A pedant writes:

There is no official anthem of the United Kingdom, just as there is no official flag - 'God Save the Queen/King' is used by custom. As is the usual way here, there is no law that sets an anthem or flag. (The Royal Navy probably has some rules for flag use)

The England football team also uses GSTQ (most of the players probably can't remember the words) but the England team at the Commonwealth Games plays 'Land of Hope and Glory' when they win gold. The Welsh anthem is never sung in English and was the first anthem to be sung before an international sporting match when Wales played New Zealand in 1905.

The issue of the Ireland rugby team has been discussed. Only 'Ireland's Call' is used when the team play abroad, but both that and 'Amhran na bhFiann' are used when they are at home. In contrast to 'Hen Wlad fy Nhadau', that was apparently first written in English as 'The Soldier's Song' (according to Wikipedia, anyway). Ireland has two international football teams so the issue of anthems does not arise.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the Scots use Flower of Scotland, a 1960s song penned to commemorate the Scots victory at Bannockburn.

Flowers of the Forest is a much older tune; a lament written for those who died for James IV at Flodden.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Welsh anthem is never sung in English and was the first anthem to be sung before an international sporting match when Wales played New Zealand in 1905.
I wouldn't be too sure about never ever, although certainly never nowadays. I know that it was sung in English at Cardiff City's FA Cup Final in 192-something, as I used to have a 78rpm recording of it.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus - I did say "IS never sung in English". It almost certainly was at some point, given the establishment dislike of Welsh until the 1960s or thereabouts. And the Cardiff vs Arsenal FA Cup Final was in 1927, as any Bluebirds supporter will tell you - it may have been sung in English then because it was the English FA and was held at Wembley. Singing in Welsh at the heart of the Empire may have been too much for the authorities to imagine.

We now return you to Ecclesiantics for your regular programming...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is possible to sing O Jesus, I have promised to The Muppet Song.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Albertus - I did say "IS never sung in English". It almost certainly was at some point, given the establishment dislike of Welsh until the 1960s or thereabouts. And the Cardiff vs Arsenal FA Cup Final was in 1927, as any Bluebirds supporter will tell you - it may have been sung in English then because it was the English FA and was held at Wembley. Singing in Welsh at the heart of the Empire may have been too much for the authorities to imagine.

We now return you to Ecclesiantics for your regular programming...

Fairy nuff. I'd also doubt that many Cardiff supporters would have been able to manage it in Welsh in 1927. (27, of course: should know by now. Always get the year mixed up with the White Horse Cup Final which was- now I look it up- 1923.)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

And should be sung to Abbotts Leigh which is a cracking tune by comparison.

Don't the first couple of bars of Austria start the ISIHAC theme tune?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

No, no, no! That's for "God is love, let heaven adore him". (And don't dare suggest "Blaenwern" for that! It can only go to "Love divine, all excelling" - which, in turn must never be sung to "Hyfrydol").

As far as I'm concerned, anyway!

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

No, no, no! That's for "God is love, let heaven adore him". (And don't dare suggest "Blaenwern" for that! It can only go to "Love divine, all excelling" - which, in turn must never be sung to "Hyfrydol").

As far as I'm concerned, anyway!

I think my central point is that Austria is a bloody awful tune only suited to National Anthems which in turn are bloody awful things.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Karl - not all National Anthems are awful, surely?

I rather like La Marseillaise, especially the bit at the end of the chorus that yearns for the impure blood of our enemies to water the furrows of our fields..... [Two face]

Also Het Wilhelmus (The Netherlands) which has a lovely tune, and is not at all martial, even though the Dutch still proclaim their loyalty to the King of Spain whilst singing it...... [Paranoid]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

And the aforementioned Hen Wlad fy Nhadau. as someone once said (in Welsh)- 'Let us rejoice as Welsh people! We have the best flag- the best anthem- and Rowan Williams!'

[ 23. February 2015, 13:53: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So? You used to have J.P.R.Williams!
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate being faced with having to play "O Danny Boy". It's well nigh impossible to get a congregation to hang together. The choices: 1. play at the speed of the cocktail lounge elastic sentimental lament-like style, or 2. crank up the tempo to fox-trot speed and get it over with.

Now, how can people 'love' singing this, and then tell you how they despise The Star-Spangled Banner as being unsingable, too difficult, too wide a range, and the tune originally a tavern song. I think it's a great tune.

What really offends me is the current rage for having a single singer wade through it, mauling the tune with decorations, sliding innovations, ornamental digressions from the tune-- you've all heard what I mean. I'd much rather hear a local high school band (or chorus) give a sincere rendition, sticking to the tune, and rhythm intended. Or- what used to be standard at baseball games, the whole stadium-full of people enthusiastically bawl out the National Anthem, followed by PLAY BALL. And leave Danny Boy to weepy barflies.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
So? You used to have J.P.R.Williams!

Not only great men in their different fields, but great facial hair too.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The national anthem of Honduras was written to the melody of the trio section of an Austrian march. I always taught it would be funny if an Honduran would ever visit Austria and hear that march being played by a band on the street.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Actually the tune Austria is the slow movement of a string quartet.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
venbede: Actually the tune Austria is the slow movement of a string quartet.
I think we are talking about different things here. I am talking about a march from Austria, not the tune Austria.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been impressed by God Save The King (why??) the immortal Haydn created a fine tune to serve the same function for Austria, and subsequently used a subtly modified form in the Emperor string quartet. A wonderful tune, and anyone who disagrees should sit on the naughty step until they develop better taste.

But the best tune for Glorious Things is Lux Eoi, so there!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either way, after 10 years at an Anglican boarding school I will always associate it with "Lord, dismiss/receive us with thy bleh-ess-sing"

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, that's to Sicilian Mariners' hymn in our latest book.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Either way, after 10 years at an Anglican boarding school I will always associate it with "Lord, dismiss/receive us with thy bleh-ess-sing"

After 11 years at a Presbyterian day and boarding school, including my time in cadets, I recall Austria as the tune for Life presents a Dismal Picture and thought that you also would.

On a more serious note, I think that the first time Gott erhalte unsere Kaiser* was sung in St Stephen's after 1918 was the funeral for K & K Zita in 1989.

*God save our Emperor.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016