homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » To Vest or Not to Vest

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: To Vest or Not to Vest
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My community has an ecumenical sunrise service on Easter each year that rotates between the three participating churches. This year it is our turn to host, and the Church of God preacher is preaching. However, my church is in charge of the service and music.

I want to vest as normal. It's a service at our church and that's how we roll. However, no one else will be vested, except that the acolytes will vest if I do. Should I, since it's at our place and the host church designs and leads all the service except the sermon? Or should I not since the other pastor(s) won't be?

Vesting the visitors isn't an option, since I own my own vestments and the church has only a few small ones for the kids who are acolytes.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since vesting is what you do at your church, go ahead and do it. Maybe communicate with the other pastors beforehand to let them know what you're planning. Who knows--maybe they have Geneva gowns and surplices gathering dust in a closet somewhere. [Smile]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always vest when hosting ecumenical events and leave it to the others to choose what they do- more often than not its a mixture some vested in cassock/Geneva gown and some in just a suit and tie

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot imagine that the other clergy will somehow take offense, or see vesting as a boast that would create unnecessary tension. In fact, I do not recall any ecumenical events I have ever attended where the clergy did not dress in their usual attire. Besides, part of the fun of ecumenical gatherings is satisfying curiosity about different traditions.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had a series of ecumenical services on the Lenten Tuesdays. The practice is that clergy wear what they would wear at their own church, and that the host church provides the service (sermon by someone from one of the other churches).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We have had a series of ecumenical services on the Lenten Tuesdays. The practice is that clergy wear what they would wear at their own church

That's always been my experience as well. If you're hosting, you do what you normally do - whether that be a full set of robes or jeans and T shirt - but you allow all visiting ministers to "do their own thing" as well. It's usually educational for all concerned!

(The only time we didn't follow this principle, we spent ages discussing exactly WHAT people should wear. As the venue was the local RC shack, the more evangelical ministers found themselves being pressured into robing. One dug his heels in and refused and decided to spend the service sitting with the congregation, whilst the rest of us were seated at the front. We then spent more time than necessary afterwards, trying to explain why he hadn't been sitting with us. It was a god-awful mess. Never again!)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would always vest at an ecumenical service my church was hosting. It's not as if the minister at the local Gospel Hall would turn out in Cassock, Cope and Stole to make me feel at home if was being held at his gaff, is it?

Personally, I think that ecumenical services are, generally, pretty rubbish and mostly serve to suck the life blood out of the churches which contribute to them by producing bland, lowest common denominator rubbish which is supported by enough people, three times a year to make them viable, but which do nothing for the life of the Church or churches. This might change if the local traditionalist Catholic told them that it was important that they went to the local free-flowing praise service at the Baptist Church and tried to work out which bits weren't their cup of tea and which bits were theologically problematic and vice versa. But that never happens. If we experienced one another worship we might learn to understand it, even if we didn't love it. So my advice is to frock up and not worry too much what your colleagues do.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vest away - but keep a sense of humour about how silly we are!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
Should I, since it's at our place and the host church designs and leads all the service except the sermon? Or should I not since the other pastor(s) won't be?

Of course you should vest. Isn't the point of such gatherings that people be exposed to other traditions?

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then vest I shall!

Out of fairness I haven't (and wont) vest when visiting them unless specifically asked.

Thanks for the help.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Personally, I think that ecumenical services are, generally, pretty rubbish and mostly serve to suck the life blood out of the churches which contribute to them by producing bland, lowest common denominator rubbish which is supported by enough people, three times a year to make them viable, but which do nothing for the life of the Church or churches. This might change if the local traditionalist Catholic told them that it was important that they went to the local free-flowing praise service at the Baptist Church and tried to work out which bits weren't their cup of tea and which bits were theologically problematic and vice versa. But that never happens. If we experienced one another worship we might learn to understand it, even if we didn't love it.

The best ecumenical services I have been a part of have been exactly those. In a previous parish, we had a really good Churches Together group, consisting of two C of E churches, a Methodist church and an RC church. We developed the habit whereby who ever was hosting the service had the freedom to do it in their own "style". Everyone learned from one another about the similarities and differences in our worship and everyone really enjoyed the services.

Creating an artificial mish-mash from all the traditions present is just a recipe for bland, inoffensive tosh.

In another parish, one of our sister churches in the local Churches Together was Elim Pentecostal. My lot (slightly on the "high" side of middle of the road) loved going to the Elim. They had great fun with the service, secure in the knowledge that it only happened once every couple of years. "I wouldn't want this every week, vicar, but it makes a nice change, every now and then."

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan's point reminds me of the Lent services of my childhood. On Wednesday nights during Lent, the Anglican, Baptist and Methodist church would join together for a service, rotating around the three venues.

At our Anglican church, they got compline. At the Methodist church, they got a typical Methodist service and at the Baptist church they got a typical Baptist service.

Before each one, the person leading would explain anything which might be unfamiliar.

I absolutely loved it as a 7 year old child! It was a peek into completely different worlds and nurtured a lifelong love of enjoying different kinds of worship.

The other stipulation was that the preacher for the evening was someone who wasn't from that church. But they preached in their usual style - hence we had full-on impassioned Welsh Baptist preaching at compline!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Personally, I think that ecumenical services are, generally, pretty rubbish and mostly serve to suck the life blood out of the churches which contribute to them by producing bland, lowest common denominator rubbish which is supported by enough people, three times a year to make them viable, but which do nothing for the life of the Church or churches. This might change if the local traditionalist Catholic told them that it was important that they went to the local free-flowing praise service at the Baptist Church and tried to work out which bits weren't their cup of tea and which bits were theologically problematic and vice versa. But that never happens. If we experienced one another worship we might learn to understand it, even if we didn't love it. So my advice is to frock up and not worry too much what your colleagues do.

I am sorry that your experience of ecumenical services has not been good. They are hard work, as otherwise they can fall into a mess. The same with ongoing ecumenical relationships.

We have services for the Lenten Tuesday evenings, one at Pentecost and another in Advent as well as the Palm Sunday procession. The service is provided by the host church, and a visitor preaches. In effect you get each of the church's Evening Prayer with some add-ons - close to the beginning of each, representatives of each participating church light an individual candle from a large one to show our unity in Christ, for example.

I do not know the response of the other churches, but a recent survey of our congregation showed that 85% of respondents (and there was a high response rate) considered that the ecumenical relationship with our neighbours was important or very important in the life of the parish.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could always follow this advice on what to wear [Two face]

[ 31. March 2015, 11:11: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All local ministers (ordained or lay) were invited to the recent licensing of the new priest-in-charge at our local charismatic-evo C of E town centre parish. The invitation made it clear that all were welcome to vest/robe according to the custom and practice of their church, which seemed to me to be a very sensible way of doing it. No-one would therefore feel pressured or out-of-place.

Alas, I was unable to attend, but I would have worn cassock, cotta, and Blue Scarf......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Bless you, LeRoc, for that thread. I'm still laughing ten minutes later.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

As far as ecumenical services not being good, my only complaint is when we start tripping around in DH territory, when really there's no reason to even go there. We're gathered to celebrate the risen Christ or to say thank you to God for all his blessings, not bash some group because they believe or act differently. It's very uncomfortable. And since I feel a certain amount of responsibility for what is said from the pulpit of my pastoral charge, I get a wee bit antsy when the visiting preacher starts in on something with which I just cannot agree. If these folks want to preach this from their own pulpits, have at. Just not mine.

--------------------

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My community has an ecumenical sunrise service on Easter each year that rotates between the three participating churches. This year it is our turn to host, and the Church of God preacher is preaching. However, my church is in charge of the service and music.

I want to vest as normal. It's a service at our church and that's how we roll. However, no one else will be vested, except that the acolytes will vest if I do. Should I, since it's at our place and the host church designs and leads all the service except the sermon? Or should I not since the other pastor(s) won't be?

Vesting the visitors isn't an option, since I own my own vestments and the church has only a few small ones for the kids who are acolytes.

In such a situation: vestments, yes, as per your tradition ... but perhaps toned down a slight bit, as necessary and possible ... ???
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One of the Methodist Churches I serve hosted an ecumenical service for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. The churches in our Churches Together group range from independent charismatic evangelical through to Roman Catholic. I wore cassock and bands, which is what I would normally wear there for services of the word and it seemed perfectly appropriate.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Alas, I was unable to attend, but I would have worn cassock, cotta, and Blue Scarf......

Ian J.

Scarf with a cotta? Not a surplice?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was a con-evo place as Bishops Finger describes, I'd make a special point of wearing a cotta [Snigger]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just so. I do possess a surplice, but the cotta is the usual attire at Our Place (for servers, and for ministers at non-Eucharistic services).

So there.

[Razz]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
In such a situation: vestments, yes, as per your tradition ... but perhaps toned down a slight bit, as necessary and possible ... ???

I'll resist the urge to go with chasuble and maniple, then. Actually, I was thinking choir dress, since it's not a Eucharist.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that'll be cassock, cotta and biretta?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then vest I shall!

Out of fairness I haven't (and wont) vest when visiting them unless specifically asked.

Thanks for the help.

That seems precisely the right way round to me. Your church, your service = your vesture.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
So that'll be cassock, cotta and biretta?

No, more like cassock, surplice, and scarf. Alas, I have no ecclesiastical headwear.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There you go. Does seem a bit pricey for what it is, though, but I suppose that's Wippell's for you. I'd imagine any reasonably talented tailor might be able to run one up for you (or knit you something close enough ).

[ 31. March 2015, 22:51: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no. If you're going to buy any ecclesial headwear it really must be a saturno, or Papal cowboy hat as it's otherwise known.

Or you could try this, which I think is called a caput casei.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

I do like to pull for the Packers...

Actually, though not a hat I could wear in a seevice, I wouldn't mind having a Parson Brown hat.

ETA: what about a fez? I could wear a fez. Fezzes are cool.

[ 01. April 2015, 00:02: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

A wee bit pricy, Albertus, but so delightfully obscure. I must have one!

[ 01. April 2015, 00:12: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Lock's will do you a smoking cap which could look very smart with robes- even dearer than the canterbury cap but pleasingly eccentric and you can have a burgundy one when they make you a bishop.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canterbury caps are not worn inside - and it should be ordinary cloth (woollen) in summer, velvet in winter.

No, if our friend wishes to be properly vested, as opposed to dressed, it has to be a biretta.

Are you a Canon? If so, you can wear a mozzetta as well.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I understand that Canons may also have a red pom-pom on their Biretta.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

quote:

Alas, no. Just a simple country parson.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Canterbury caps are not worn inside - and it should be ordinary cloth (woollen) in summer, velvet in winter.

No, if our friend wishes to be properly vested, as opposed to dressed, it has to be a biretta.

Blessed Percy informs us that a cleric could wear a coif if they feel the cold, but I should note that an academic cap of their university would be more appropriate than a biretta, unless of course they are graduates of a European university which provides for birettas for their graduates.

But I would also challenge the supposition that Canterbury caps are only to be worn outdoors; I have seen the late +++Michael Ramsey wear a Canterbury cap indoors and his undoubted eminence creates a legitimate use, should one have been needed.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

What about if you have a Swedish or Finnish doctorate? Then you can wear one of these splendid things. Worth doing just to get one, I'd say.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
If it was a con-evo place as Bishops Finger describes, I'd make a special point of wearing a cotta [Snigger]

Point taken - I might even break the prejudice of a lifetime and wear a yard of lace with it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By all means vest. Often times in ecumenical services you will find various traditions represented in the vestments they use. Celebrate the diversity as will as the unity.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For many years the churches in our area of town had an ecumenical outdoor service on Palm Sunday. This included Episcopal (mine), Lutheran, RC, Methodist, Baptist, and a couple others. All the groups would process, saunter, etc. to a local playfield; clergy of each church would vest (or not) however they normally did because this service preceded all our separate Palm Sunday services. We also had banners which, when placed together, illustrated the story of Holy Week.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016