homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Imagine there's no heaven (nor hell, nor anything after you're dead) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Imagine there's no heaven (nor hell, nor anything after you're dead)
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I don't think it's quite the same. Puddleglum says he prefers to willingly embrace his viewpoint even if it's wrong. I'm not sure many people here would go along with that, at least not avowedly so.

Sorry, you are correct about what I said.

Though I'd still be with Puddleglum. If the 'true' alternative to something you believe to be noble is something you believe to be ignoble then truth is not all it's cracked up to be - so b***er it.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. Which is why he would be the most pitied of all marshwiggles in that hypothesis. It only works, according to Paul, if it's true.

[ 26. October 2014, 16:59: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I can't see that seeing Jesus is particularly important to me. I haven't thought much about this. It might be nice, I guess. But I'm not some kind of groupie.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your beliefs very well, or how you self-identify theologically. As I understand Christianity, we're more than groupies for Jesus--we worship Him. Seeing Him face to face is one of the things we long for.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scary doesn't have to be bad. There is the fear of the Lord, there is Aslan not being a tame Lion, there is what Charles Williams called the "terrible good." It's good--it's to be desired--but our God is a consuming fire. Part of the paradox of Who He Is is that He is both gentle and mild but also fiercer than anything on Earth. But He's good.

--------------------

Planeta Plicata
Shipmate
# 17543

- Posted      Profile for Planeta Plicata   Email Planeta Plicata   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As George Orwell pointed out, there's belief in hell, and belief in hell, and not many people these days seem to have the latter:
quote:
Never, literally never in recent years, have I met anyone who gave me the impression of believing in the next world as firmly as he believed in the existence of, for instance, Australia. Belief in the next world does not influence conduct as it would if it were genuine. With that endless existence beyond death to look forward to, how trivial our lives here would seem! Most Christians profess to believe in Hell. Yet have you ever met a Christian who seemed as afraid of Hell as he was of cancer? Even very devout Christians will make jokes about Hell. They wouldn't make jokes about leprosy, or RAF pilots with their faces burnt away: the subject is too painful.

[ 26. October 2014, 17:59: Message edited by: Planeta Plicata ]

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of imagining there is no heaven is to understand how I would live my life without some reward at the end. I think the above-quoted Puddleglum quote is the right way. That the reward of heaven means nothing until you are dead. So thus doesn't matter while I am alive.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or one can see heaven not as a reward, but as a term applied to a kind of life oriented to God and our neighbor that we can strive for now.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent n p's etc. Worry about creating heaven now. Eternity will take care of itself. The trouble is I'm such a howling wilderness inside I need that certainty to turn me in to an aspiring to half way decent human being.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
That the reward of heaven means nothing until you are dead.

That's a bit like saying the gold medal doesn't mean anything until the race is over. Sure, it's technically true, but it misses the point of why everyone is running in the first place.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
That the reward of heaven means nothing until you are dead.

That's a bit like saying the gold medal doesn't mean anything until the race is over. Sure, it's technically true, but it misses the point of why everyone is running in the first place.
Disagree with the premise. It is not a race. It is not a competition. I am not running a race toward a goal. I am enjoying the act of walking/jogging/runing, the scenery and the opportunity to interact with other trekkers. Some of whom are going the same direction, on the same trail, some of whom tell me what they encountered on the trail ahead of me, and others I can share similar info. It strikes me as more of a "fun run", where "everyone has won, and all must have prizes", but perhaps I am a Dodo bird.

[ 27. October 2014, 15:05: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Came across this quote from Alistair McGrath today:

quote:
"The Christian hope of Heaven raises our horizons and elevates our expectations inviting us to behave in the light of this greater reality. The true believer does not disengage this world in order to focus on Heaven but tries to make this world more like Heaven."

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about these from C. S. Lewis:

quote:
Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.

quote:
If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.
I love that second quote - I've used it more than once in sermons.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Disagree with the premise. It is not a race. It is not a competition. I am not running a race toward a goal.

Are you sure about that?
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:
Disagree with the premise. It is not a race. It is not a competition. I am not running a race toward a goal.

Are you sure about that?
I'm well familiar with these ideas. There were a series of such verses posted in the entrance hall of my boarding school. And I recall reading Kipling's porem "If" while holding my knees and being hit on the backside at the front of the class when I had too many errors in my poetry memorization (which kept me from crying out). I've rejected everything "muscular Christianity" offers since. Not been big on Paul since either.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I'm with ChastMastr - and Paul - on this.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I think I'd end up adopting Puddleglum's philosophy:

"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

Largely as a result of discussions on the Ship, I've thought long and hard about this, veered somewhat away from a belief in the resurrection (and thus in life after death) - and then almost in spite of myself, returned to this belief following Paul's reasoning in 1 Cor 15.

The above passage from The Silver Chair featured in my personal thought trajectory.

In the book, the happy reality is that there is a Narnia. That's the only reason Puddleglum's declaration is stirring. If there there was no Narnia, Puddleglum would be merely deluded and thus, as Paul says (more or less) to be pitied among all marshwiggles.

To lurch (as I often do) from CS Lewis to Douglas Adams in my cobbled-together practical theology, he is like Slartibartfast, preferring to be happy than right any day - which Slartibartfast admits unfortunately doesn't work (and appears not to work for Puddleglum either, given his disposition!).

I know not all christians feel this way, but if there's nothing after death, for me the whole thing is nothing but a delusion. I don't think I think it is though.

Richard Holloway, former primus of Scotland's Episcopal Church, is fond of the following Miguel de Unamuno quote: "Man is perishing, that may be, but if it is nothingness that await us, let us go resisting, and so live that it will be an unjust fate."

I find it more heroic than futile, a neon "screw you" to an indifferent universe. Following a path not in hope of reward, but simply because you believe it to be right, is heroic in the classical sense of surpassing the limits of your existence. Lewis' friend and mentor Tolkien coined the phrase "theory of courage" to describe this defiant POV, found, appropriately, in the Norse, who believed in doing the right thing not in hope of payment, but for its own sake.

But then I dig existentialism, so I would say that.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a good case as far as it goes, but as I have said before here, it doesn't seem, overall, to be the line taken by the Scriptures, right the way from Job through to Paul*.

=

*I'd say the nearest Paul appears to get to this level of uncertainty is when he talks in Philippians 3:11 of sharing, "if possible", in the resurrection of the dead.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, it's not a line taken in the Bible. On this, as on so much else, I disagree with the scriptures. [Smile]
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I do agree with Puddleglum. But then part of the idea suggested there is that there is, indeed there must, be more than that--that while all appearances may be so empty as the Green Witch (or as some modern philosophies) suggests, there is Something More--and remember, he's going to spend the rest of his life searching for a real Narnia, he's not just giving up.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm well familiar with these ideas. There were a series of such verses posted in the entrance hall of my boarding school. And I recall reading Kipling's porem "If" while holding my knees and being hit on the backside at the front of the class when I had too many errors in my poetry memorization (which kept me from crying out). I've rejected everything "muscular Christianity" offers since. Not been big on Paul since either.

Well I'd never heard of "muscular Christianity" before reading that Wikipedia article myself - must be a British thing.

But the metaphor of a Christian life as a race or athletic competition is fairly well-established I would say.

One must throw that metaphor away entirely to also hold the belief that there's no finishing line or gold medal at the end.

In my view, where God is, love and goodness are also, and that's where I want to be. If following Jesus - a person in whose presence I would love to spend eternity - here on Earth gets me to that place, then that's the goal. I'm looking through a glass darkly now, but I want to see face to face. That's sort of the point!

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

2 Timothy 4 v 7

quote:
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.

Acts 20 v 24

quote:
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

1 Corinthians 9 v 24

Sometimes I wonder whether fellow shipmates have ever actually read the Bible.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Seems to me many have read it, chosen to reject 99% of it, and go about telling the rest of us who interpret it in the traditional way that we've misunderstood it! [Roll Eyes]

At the very least, a statement like "Christianity is not a race" has to be qualified to "I know it's described as such, but in my experience it's more like..."

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find the metaphor of life as a race that you have to run in order to win a prize particularly helpful.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

2 Timothy 4 v 7

quote:
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.

Acts 20 v 24

quote:
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

1 Corinthians 9 v 24

In those three, carefully selected, verses we have two approaches. Two verses refer to finishing the race while the other to coming first. There's a fundamental difference between winning and taking part, and in the third verse quoted, there's a contentious element of finishing the race not being enough.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The race analogies seem more about perseverence in the face of adversity than anything else.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
I don't find the metaphor of life as a race that you have to run in order to win a prize particularly helpful.

You don't have to find it helpful - there are plenty of metaphors in the New Testament that are not helpful to me personally. But it's by no means inappropriate or odd for a Christian to see life as a race, given how many times it's referred to as such in the New Testament.

I'm not going to tell someone who says Jesus is like a lamb "No you're wrong buddy, he's a bunny rabbit because he's lovable and has a large and growing family. I have no idea why you think he's a lamb. Oh, you read it in the Bible? Eh - never liked that bit anyway."

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
The race analogies seem more about perseverence in the face of adversity than anything else.

And finishing the race as I understand it could mean speeding across the line in first place, or having a friend carry you over it. I'd certainly see myself in the second category!

Dropping out of the race entirely is the thing to be avoided.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

It doesn't say that! It says run 'in such a way...' It means that we are to put as much intentionality, dedication and commitment into our Christian living - it mirrors the dedication of the athletes who run to win. We must show that same drive. We don't get a prize; that's just a metaphor. How can it be literal? If it were there would only be one person in heaven, the one person who won the race.

We just told to run like winners!
On that point alone, whenever I watch the Olympics or other athletic contests, I always feel sorry for the bloke who is obviously going to come last in the face of such strong opposition. And yet he still takes part, he still faces the knowledge he is not going to win, and yet he still trains, he still races and he still runs 'so as to win.' That's our example. I will never be a Booth or a Bonhoeffer; I'll never be half as good as some of the faithful people in my congregation, but I still run as if to win.

[ 28. October 2014, 10:02: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

But if you're only running for your own glory and your own good, you're missing the point of the gospel. It's not about you, it's about others and selflessness ( see Jesus' example).

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
But if you're only running for your own glory and your own good, you're missing the point of the gospel. It's not about you, it's about others and selflessness ( see Jesus' example).

Indeed - that's why we are told to:

quote:
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely,[a] and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of[b] the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12

No one running in the spirit of the crucified Jesus can be doing it for their own glory.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wrong.

We have read it, but we disagree with Paul's analogy that life is akin to a race.

It's a very poor analogy imo. A race implies rushing, not savouring. It implies passing others to get across the winning tape. It implies having a fixed goal and being unable to adapt and change according to people's needs at the time.

I simply don't find it helpful. Just like I don't find 'battle' analogies helpful either - far too little caring and co-operation in races and battles for my liking.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:

Yes, that's what they told us. That despite the world going to hell in a handcart, we had to hold out and do the 'hard things' because there is glory in doing so, and our rewards would be in the next life. And other such crap.

It's hard to separate perseverance with the reward idea. When you're in the midst of adversity created rather intentionally by others. Which is more or less foundational, on sand, to the enterprise.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it means what Mudfrog said, that we totally commit ourselves to following Christ, in the same way as athletes totally commit themselves to competing so that they will win the prize.

For me, although I don't think it would make any difference to my commitment and faith now, the idea of the possibility of an afterlife and the question as to whether loved ones had ceased to be in every way, not only physically, once they died propelled the first steps of my search to find out whether or not God existed.

Therefore, it has been an important aspect of my faith.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Yes, that's what they told us. That despite the world going to hell in a handcart, we had to hold out and do the 'hard things' because there is glory in doing so, and our rewards would be in the next life. And other such crap.

That's the least generous way of interpreting it.

I read it as perseverance in faith. That is, not giving in to worldly things that separate us from God but keeping our eye on the finish line. That doesn't mean we don't stop to catch our breath or consider packing it all in along the way.

I'm not sure what the "hard things" that you refer to are. Were you being asked to door knock for days on end or something?

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Wrong.

We have read it, but we disagree with Paul's analogy that life is akin to a race.

It's a very poor analogy imo. A race implies rushing, not savouring. It implies passing others to get across the winning tape. It implies having a fixed goal and being unable to adapt and change according to people's needs at the time.

I simply don't find it helpful. Just like I don't find 'battle' analogies helpful either - far too little caring and co-operation in races and battles for my liking.

Think for whom this was originally written - their hardship, poverty, unpopularity, persecution and death.

Think of those for whom Chrstianity is not about how nice the choir sings or whether the correct rite was used at communion last week. Think of those for whom identifying as a Christian doesn't mean a gentle comment from the bloke at work but an arrest warrant from the local magistrate. Think of those for who Christianity means holding onto faith when a loved one dies or who lives in a difficult relationship or fights an addiction or even struggles to maintain faith when their natural desire is to jack it all in.

Think of those for whom Christianity is a real passion, a real fervent and joyous experience that is not shared by friends and family.

THEN you will know that for such people, the exhortation to run the race, fight the fight of faith, overcome and endure to the end, is not offensive but actually an inspiration, a comfort and a source of challenge and strength.

When churchgoers sit in the comfortable middle-class lifestyle of respectable 'churchianity', choosing which beliefs they allow themselves to hold, crossing their fingers when reciting creeds they don't feel happy with because it disturbs their little compartmentalised world where God has his hour but no more, they lose all sense of what being a Christian meant to Paul's hearers or to the vast majority of Christians on this planet in the developing world who would rather die than give up Jesus.

For me, for them, and for a huge bunch of people in the church militant and triumphant, running the race, fighting the fight and holding on by the grace of God is all they've got.

Being a Christian is not a lifestyle choice along with politics, musical taste, following a fat-free diet or choosing between genres of art or literature. For many, many people following Jesus is a matter of life and death - metaphorically and literally - and THEY will tell you that if you're not in the race you're merely a spectator. lukewarm, compromised, on the 'broad road that leads to destruction.'

If you haven't had to make an effort in your Chrstian faith and life, then I wonder whether it's worth having.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

This sort of Christian, Mudfrog, is the one who asks me if I know Jesus, and I must end the conversation immediately by saying that I expect our beliefs do not coincide. It's why I cannot attend a parish where the priest prays "Jesus our redeemer and friend" before the amen (it's indicative of a broader orientation).

I've been through this, as I noted, and had to sternly reject it. As it was unkind, and because it told me I was the problem. In the face of terrible experiences - I managed it when it was merely me who was the target; my faith with such things collapsed when it was my own child - I could not keep running and pretending. I also didn't have the capacity to realize that the single set of tracks were when Jesus was supposedly carrying me (to take the image from an oft-quoted poem and inspirational poster).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you haven't had to make an effort in your Chrstian faith and life, then I wonder whether it's worth having.

So much for 'My burden is light' then?

I didn't once mention lack of effort - and I resent your assumptions as to my lifestyle and Christian walk. You have no idea where I have been and what I have done. I have worked on the Kibera in Kenya and with street children in Mexico. I suffer daily pain which I almost never mention (Psoriatic Arthritis) and I itch all day every day (Psoriasis) But none of my Christian walk involves a 'race' to the finish. I really do not think 'battling' or 'racing' through life is the way to go. Peace comes from God - and is much needed by me and others. Not a feeling that we are not trying hard enough as life is too 'comfortable'!

But, if the analogy gets you through - fine. Just don't assume that we all need it or that Paul's journey needs to be replicated.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
This sort of Christian, Mudfrog, is the one who asks me if I know Jesus, and I must end the conversation immediately by saying that I expect our beliefs do not coincide. It's why I cannot attend a parish where the priest prays "Jesus our redeemer and friend" before the amen (it's indicative of a broader orientation). it told me I was the problem.

Hi [Smile]

I was think of a response to your very first sentence when I read your second!

I was going to say that the Christians I was referring to were not all evangelicals (the kind you would expect to say, 'Do you know Jesus') - it would include Coptic, Catholic, Orthodox, etc, etc - people who have lived (and died) under extreme regimes in greater numbers than most Protestant evangelicals would imagine. These ancient traditions of Christianity are also running the race, etc.

But then I read your comment about not being able to attend a parish where the priest referred to Jesus as Redeemer and friend. I guess therefore than there are some deep hurts that are your burden and that some maybe 'convinced' Christians have been a little less than sympathetic or compassionate?

I am sorry about that; people with a strong faith, even when that comes out of their own struggles, can sometimes be a little on the insensitve side. There are, of course, those people whose strong faith is expressed a little more gently and they can indeed be an encouragement and a help.

I don't know why you would feel that 'Redeemer and friend' are difficult to take as descriptions of God in Christ, but I pray sincerely that He will come to you in another of the images and likenesses that the Gospel gives us, and bring what you need.

I heard once of a dying girl who could not bring herself to believe that God was a loving Father simply because her own father and even her brothers had abused her so much. She came to faith simply by hearing about and then clinging onto the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd.

I guess it doesn't matter which of the many images and words you take to your heart as long as it leads you to Jesus and the peace he offers.

God bless you. [Smile]

[ 28. October 2014, 15:38: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hell call Mudfrog.

"God bless" you too [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ChastMastr: As I understand Christianity, we're more than groupies for Jesus--we worship Him. Seeing Him face to face is one of the things we long for.
I don't know. To me it's perfectly possible to worship someone (or Someone) without a need to see him face to face.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Peace comes from God - and is much needed by me and others. Not a feeling that we are not trying hard enough as life is too 'comfortable'!

Yes. Peace. To which I add comfort. I am comforted but not relieved of pain.

Redeemed is different than friend. Parallel: being doctored is also different from friend.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps, unless otherwise indicated you can assume they have. However, you can't assume, I think, that if they have, they will make of scripture the same thing you do.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To me it's perfectly possible to worship someone (or Someone) without a need to see him face to face. [/QB]
I agree. It reminds me of John 20-29:

quote:
"Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
quote:
ChastMastr: As I understand Christianity, we're more than groupies for Jesus--we worship Him. Seeing Him face to face is one of the things we long for.
I don't know. To me it's perfectly possible to worship someone (or Someone) without a need to see him face to face.
Of course it is, and of course we do now without seeing Him face to face, but I'm talking about longing to see Him more clearly, in the fullness of time, etc.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Having read my response to Boogie again I am still at a loss as to why she's thrown a tantrum and called me to hell.

She seems to think that I was criticising her lifestyle. Well, if the cap fits, I guess; but I actually wasn't. I was talking about the attitude that many people have - that Christianity is as easy as you want it to be - a view echoed by her when she said that the analogy of the race is not in accord with her opinion.

Apart from the fact that it is a well-tried and used Biblical image that is there in Scripture for our edification and instruction, all I was trying to say to her was that the vast majority of people for whom Christianity is not an easy option, really do see their Christian life as a battle, a race.

Maybe I should have put my posh voice on and, instead of saying 'if you're not in the race...' I should have written 'if one is not in the race...'

If Boogie has taken what I wrote so personally she could be so nasty as to tell me to "Sod off!" (Thank you very much for that [Roll Eyes] ) then maybe she needs to lighten up a bit and not be so touchy.

As Carly Simon might have sung, "She's so vain, I bet she thinks this post is about her..."

[ 28. October 2014, 18:37: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have answered this in Hell Mudfrog.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another to whom the existence of anything after death makes no difference to my faith and practice of it (wobbly though that currently is).

My mother died last year. I think the idea of an afterlife was a comfort to her, though it's not something we talked about. It's no comfort to me, though - I really don't buy the idea that it is somehow a good thing for those left behind.

My sister, who would probably identify as spiritual but not religious, firmly believes in heaven, and believes that mum is there. She talks to her all the time. For me, the idea that she's still somehow out there somewhere (and yes I understand this is Platonic rather than Christian) and yet I can't be close to, or communicate with her, is much worse than the idea of her just being gone.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
ChastMastr: Of course it is, and of course we do now without seeing Him face to face, but I'm talking about longing to see Him more clearly, in the fullness of time, etc.
I know, and I hope it will be all you wish for. It just isn't a very important need for me.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I'm another to whom the existence of anything after death makes no difference to my faith and practice of it (wobbly though that currently is).

My mother died last year. I think the idea of an afterlife was a comfort to her, though it's not something we talked about. It's no comfort to me, though - I really don't buy the idea that it is somehow a good thing for those left behind.

My sister, who would probably identify as spiritual but not religious, firmly believes in heaven, and believes that mum is there. She talks to her all the time. For me, the idea that she's still somehow out there somewhere (and yes I understand this is Platonic rather than Christian) and yet I can't be close to, or communicate with her, is much worse than the idea of her just being gone.

I'm happy to think of family who have died being somewhere I can't reach them, as long as I can think of them as being at peace with God. Of course I can't know that they are, for sure. I wouldn't like to think of them as floating about 'out there' wanting to come back but not being able to. This latter, and the idea of coming back in the form of birds or butterflies, is how some 'spiritual but not religious' people I know see life after death.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
[...] When churchgoers sit in the comfortable middle-class lifestyle of respectable 'churchianity', choosing which beliefs they allow themselves to hold, crossing their fingers when reciting creeds they don't feel happy with because it disturbs their little compartmentalised world where God has his hour but no more, they lose all sense of what being a Christian meant to Paul's hearers or to the vast majority of Christians on this planet in the developing world who would rather die than give up Jesus. [...]

Paul was surely the definition of middle class, if not upper class: leisured, literate, plenty time to study, chair of the board, member of the Roman elite. Pity the poor slave tortured for their faith (whose bondage Paul casually accepted), for whom an appeal to Caesar would be as fantastical as a trip to the moon.

As for early Christianity, Paul and his contemporaries thought the world was about to end. Not even the most devoted Left Behind fan can recapture that apocalyptic fervor. Without that expectation of an imminent end, I doubt they'd have been so willing to die.

Christianity has lasted millennia past it's expected endpoint. Of course it's gonna change and adapt.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
quote:
[...] When churchgoers sit in the comfortable middle-class lifestyle of respectable 'churchianity', choosing which beliefs they allow themselves to hold, crossing their fingers when reciting creeds they don't feel happy with because it disturbs their little compartmentalised world where God has his hour but no more, they lose all sense of what being a Christian meant to Paul's hearers or to the vast majority of Christians on this planet in the developing world who would rather die than give up Jesus. [...]

Paul was surely the definition of middle class, if not upper class: leisured, literate, plenty time to study, chair of the board, member of the Roman elite. Pity the poor slave tortured for their faith (whose bondage Paul casually accepted), for whom an appeal to Caesar would be as fantastical as a trip to the moon.

As for early Christianity, Paul and his contemporaries thought the world was about to end. Not even the most devoted Left Behind fan can recapture that apocalyptic fervor. Without that expectation of an imminent end, I doubt they'd have been so willing to die.

Christianity has lasted millennia past it's expected endpoint. Of course it's gonna change and adapt.

I think you underestimate Paul's sufferings:

quote:
as servants of God we have commended ourselves in every way: through great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, 5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labours, sleepless nights, hunger; 6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, holiness of spirit, genuine love, 7 truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8 in honour and dishonour, in ill repute and good repute. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9 as unknown, and yet are well known; as dying, and see—we are alive; as punished, and yet not killed; 10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

2 Corinthians 6

and
quote:
Are they ministers of Christ? I am talking like a madman—I am a better one: with far greater labours, far more imprisonments, with countless floggings, and often near death. 24 Five times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26 on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from bandits, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers and sisters; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, hungry and thirsty, often without food, cold and naked. 28 And, besides other things, I am under daily pressure because of my anxiety for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I am not indignant?

30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus (blessed be he forever!) knows that I do not lie. 32 In Damascus, the governor under King Aretas guarded the city of Damascus in order to seize me, 33 but I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and escaped from his hands.

2 Corinthians 11

Paul was no mere middle class churchgoer.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016