homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church decline and the Bishop of Blackburn (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Church decline and the Bishop of Blackburn
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Psssh - don't let mere facts get in the way of a good old whine about bloody foreigners!

Most of Blackburn's Muslims were born in Britain.
Do you think that makes them less forrign to the sort of mind that goes on about this sort of thing?
Of course, given that Islam regards Judaism and Christianity as part of its own historic tradition, why not run interfaith courses on the old testament with all three faiths - bit of community building for everyone ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:
I agree its Ok for bishops to raise concerns BUT I don't agree if that is simply in order to keep church structures functioning. The concern the bishop should then raise is have we a realistic structure, or are we putting too much effort time etc. into tryng to keep a large creaky ship afloat.

I suspect, sadly, you are right that bishops are raising concern because they want the structures as they are to remain functioning.

Actually, I think I've misunderstood you. I thought you wanted CofE structures to remain the same, because earlier you said this:

quote:

Two things come into my mind. Firstly there does seem a priority given to numbers and youth, as above truth and integrity. That may sound a bit harsh, but I'm not happy about church is declining so get on with Alpha groups, adopt the culture of the day and change to appeal to youth approach. This (Alpha etc) approach seems to be quite different in teaching from much traditional Anglicanism.

Will 'traditional Anglicanism' be able to maintain its traditional character if its structures are unsustainable? How about if the parish system goes? If the CofE has to be disestablished because too few people identify with it will it still be able to present a 'traditional' face to the world?

Angloid - thank you thats what I think too. We are called to be a light, not to make everyone into that light, or yeast but not all to be yeast. Thats what I think.

My comment SvitlanaV2 wasnt so much about structures, more about teachings and theological positions. Alpha courses and the theology it teaches is within Anglicanism (and beyond it) but its not representative of a liberal, bible, tradition and reason, tradition which it seems to me to be so part of the Anglican tradition. What I fear is the new corporate approach in the C of E says "Oh this product produces results, so lets push that..." Lets focus on youth and more youth. I'm asking why? if the reason is because we must counteract decline to keep the structures we have, then I am very unsure that's a sufficiently good reason. I suppose I expect more from bishops, more thought out teaching and vision, and less corporate plans and doom and gloom.

Personally I do strongly support the parish system of the C of E, BUT if it had to go, so be it. Its important to distingush between the C of E and Anglicanism. The parish system is a traditional part of the C of E. The Church in Wales isn't established - it manages without being.

Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've observed before on these boards, though, the Church in Wales has been disestablished since 1920 but nobody there seems to have noticed ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel, I've just said the Church in Wales is disetablished and manages without being established...
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of my Orthodox friends think that the CofE is dead in the water and beyond redemption ... but they would do, because most of them left the CofE to become Orthodox ...

I think there is a distinctively Anglican 'flavour' or character that I wouldn't want to see die out ... and whilst I'm not against Alpha or 'Messy Church' and so on per se, I do worry that something is being lost in the current obsession about bums on seats and the dumbing down that certain clergy seem to think is necessary to achieve and sustain that.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sorry, I cross-posted.

I know what you said - that the Church in Wales manages without being established.

I grew up in South Wales.

People still act as if the Church in Wales is Established.

I spoke to an Archdeacon from North Wales recently and he agreed with me.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Some of my Orthodox friends think that the CofE is dead in the water and beyond redemption ... but they would do, because most of them left the CofE to become Orthodox ...

I think there is a distinctively Anglican 'flavour' or character that I wouldn't want to see die out ... and whilst I'm not against Alpha or 'Messy Church' and so on per se, I do worry that something is being lost in the current obsession about bums on seats and the dumbing down that certain clergy seem to think is necessary to achieve and sustain that.

Agreed! There is such a drive to church growth but no one seems to say why precisely (there may be many reasons but which one is the agreed priority, say).

Where are the bishops or other church dignataries saying have retreats, quiet days, compline by candlight for half a dozen in a country church...

And why don't they promote clearly and openly the lovely and good things they find in local churches? Share good ideas and news. (They could use a blog or facebook to do so) I suspect this would go further than the gloomy pronouncements like those of the Bishop or Archdeacon of Blackburn!

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magersfontein Lugg

Perhaps the way to foil the evangelical Alpha course agenda is for the liberal, traditional and rational Anglicans to take on the task of evangelising in their own way. Otherwise, by 2050 the evangelicals might end up dominating English Anglicanism by default.

My thinking is that disestablishment might reduce the evangelical share, since it could encourage a number of evangelical congregations to leave the CofE. But I haven't seen any scholarship that considers this possibility.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alpha courses and the theology it teaches is within Anglicanism (and beyond it) but its not representative of a liberal, bible, tradition and reason, tradition which it seems to me to be so part of the Anglican tradition.

This is totally not my experience, although in my parish Alpha is led by talks given by staff, not the videos. And Alpha is so discussion-based that the flavor of any given course is going to be mostly dependent on the people who participate in it.

I enjoyed the course when I took it, but I don't see that it is very useful for non-Christians because it starts with the premise that Christianity is true and moves on from there. I haven't seen anyone converted through Alpha specifically, personally.

So while I think the course is good, probably for new Christians or cultural Christians who are interested in exploring, as evangelism I find it lacking. And in churches where there's not a wider program of evangelistic activity, relying on Alpha and hoping people wander in to attend seems problematic.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I don't buy that, SvitlanaV2.

Most evangelical Anglicans I know would be broadly in favour of disestablishment.

I can't see how establishment or disestablishment would affect Anglican evangelicals one way or another.

The Church in Wales is often seen as generally 'High Church' but, on a smaller scale, it has all the nuances and shades of Anglican opinion that you'd find in the CofE or most other churches within the Anglican Communion.

There wasn't a mass exodus of evangelical Anglicans when the Church in Wales was disestablished.

I see no reason why there would be if the Church of England were disestablished this year, next year or in 20 or 30 years time.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

quote:
Magersfontein Lugg

Perhaps the way to foil the evangelical Alpha course agenda is for the liberal, traditional and rational Anglicans to take on the task of evangelising in their own way. Otherwise, by 2050 the evangelicals might end up dominating English Anglicanism by default.

My thinking is that disestablishment might reduce the evangelical share, since it could encourage a number of evangelical congregations to leave the CofE. But I haven't seen any scholarship that considers this possibility.

I guess thats partly tongue in cheek - or at least put starkly! However it does capture a fear I for one have. A slick evangelical approach taking over the C of E. And so liturgy goes minimalist, if at all, poetry of hymnody goes, silence and holy space goes down, lesbians and gays are, at best, 'tolerated' and certainly not welcomed, the divorced are maginalised.... And the bishops allowing it because it gets bums on pews and keeps the hierarchy and its structures in place.

Trouble is Svitlana its very difficult to be 'evangelising' from a more liberal and generous position.

I think you have a point, myself, about establishment. I suspect some evangelical vicars are in the C of E for the employment package and take much else loosely. They seem in some places to me to run their own shows with only an occasional nod to the diocesan authorities. However, they do usually pay their (big) quotas and so bishops are shy of seeming to stand against them

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think what Magersfontein Lugg is saying, Seekingsister, is that whilst the kind of theology promoted by the Alpha course can and does exist within Anglicanism - and beyond it (which is how and why Alpha has been taken up well beyond the Anglican constituency) it is somewhat at odds with what one might consider the broad, mainstream of Anglicanism.

I think that's indisputable.

I think that evangelicalism per se and even charismatic evangelicalism can have a place within Anglicanism ... just as a charismatic emphasis can and does find a place within Roman Catholicism.

However, there is something about Alpha that both fits within an Anglican paradigm and also rubs it up the wrong way at one and the same time.

It's a bit formulaic, a bit too 'franchised' ...

I agree with you on the strengths and weaknesses of it ... it does presuppose a particular end in view and tries to steer people towards that.

What seems to be the best features are the discussion aspects and the meal sharing.

The ins and outs and rights and wrongs of Alpha have been done to death here in the past.

FWIW my own view is that it's coming to the end of its shelf-life ... the 'decline' stage of the product-life-cycle if we can look at it in those terms. It's stuttering on in some places but it's largely had its day.

Our parish has run successful Alpha courses in the past and people have come to faith through it - but as you say, largely from a 'cultural Christian' or quasi-Christian background.

Each year the numbers are less than they were the previous year. I'll be interested to see how many they get next time.

Meanwhile, SvitlanaV2 raises a provocative but fair point about more liberal or traditional Anglicans getting off their arses and doing something if they want to prevent those nasty evangelicals from hijacking their nice, liberal, cuddly compline church ...

I don't know how they can do that - without turning into in-your-face evangelicals in some way themselves ...

Unless it's by quietly modelling 'a more excellent way ...'

Is that a law of diminishing returns though?

It's easy to knock evangelicalism and I do it myself - despite of, or because of, my evangelical background.

But the fact is that many liberals and traditionalists one meets these days started out evangelical and gradually moved in a more broader or more traditional direction later.

Love 'em or loathe them we need the evangelicals.

I knock 'em here on these boards at times but I'm grateful to my evangelical background.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

quote:
I think what Magersfontein Lugg is saying, Seekingsister, is that whilst the kind of theology promoted by the Alpha course can and does exist within Anglicanism - and beyond it (which is how and why Alpha has been taken up well beyond the Anglican constituency) it is somewhat at odds with what one might consider the broad, mainstream of Anglicanism.

I think that's indisputable....
Meanwhile, SvitlanaV2 raises a provocative but fair point about more liberal or traditional Anglicans getting off their arses and doing something if they want to prevent those nasty evangelicals from hijacking their nice, liberal, cuddly compline church ...

I don't know how they can do that - without turning into in-your-face evangelicals in some way themselves ...

Unless it's by quietly modelling 'a more excellent way ...'

Is that a law of diminishing returns though?

It's easy to knock evangelicalism and I do it myself - despite of, or because of, my evangelical background.

But the fact is that many liberals and traditionalists one meets these days started out evangelical and gradually moved in a more broader or more traditional direction later.

Love 'em or loathe them we need the evangelicals.

I knock 'em here on these boards at times but I'm grateful to my evangelical background.

Thanks gamaliel. Very helpful. I take a bit of issue about 'cuddly' though. It seems to me the 'nice, liberal' position is challenging of modern society, evangelicalism etc. and is not always an easy place to inhabit. It demands sacrifice, prayer as well...
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure - I was caricaturing to a certain extent - just as some of my comments on evangelicalism have veered in that direction too.

At their best, both traditions involve sacrifice and rigour.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

Yes, indeed, Gamaliel.

One area where I do feel the C of E has to change is its top heavy committee ridden structures. Some dioceses are very big and yet people are expected to travel three times a year or more to a Diocesan synod, which can often be stunningly tedious, or simply be presentation after presentation.

And what about all the other meetings which expect laity to attend after busy days work or are even held during the day. And then they say young people aren't there!

I hope the Bishop of Blackburn (and his archdeacon) are looking at slimming structures down, and reducing senior staff. So many dioceses seem to have actually increased the senior staff and the support staff they have. They are good people I am sure. But because they are good they like to have full diaries and do initiatives, because that shows them they are working! Trouble is it just gives more work for the laity who are getting, as the Bishop says, fewer and fewer.

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the problems I have with the Bishop of Blackburn's pronouncements is that they come from a pretty unreconstructed conservative evangelical, who has not shown much sign so far that he appreciates the nuances of engaging afresh in a post-Christian society.

On the surface, his analysis is reasonably accurate - though hardly ground-breaking, as many people have been pointing this out for some years. The stats don't lie. What matters most is what (if anything) to do about it.

I'm also a little concerned about the message that he gives the existing congregations in the diocese - which is, effectively, "You've been doing it all wrong so far and now I'm going to put you right".

Also, it is a more than a little incredible that the bishop wants to invest heavily in attracting young people into the C of E - the same bishop who is dead set against toleration of homosexuality. Even a moment's engagement with the "Yoof" he wants to attract will quickly tell him that systemic homophobia is one of the reasons younger generations have no time for the C of E.

I think there ARE ways of re-engaging with people who have been turned off of Church, or who have never encountered Church to begin with. And you don't have to be evangelical or liberal or anything to do it. It requires authenticity, humility and love. It means that you avoid the mistake of trying to impose a pattern from on high, and that you allow the time to find out how you can meet the particular needs of your own community.

The problem is well-known and hardly unique to the C of E. I am not terribly convinced that the Bishop's proposed solution will have that much effect.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

The problem is well-known and hardly unique to the C of E. I am not terribly convinced that the Bishop's proposed solution will have that much effect.

Yes, I think you're right, well said.

We had leaders in Sydney say exactly "you're doing it all wrong, we'll show you how it's done". Once they got there, they found the reality of church growth wasn't as easy as they'd thought. The humility to realise there is no magic bullet solution is a start.

[fixed code decline]

[ 02. November 2014, 05:53: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I know what you said - that the Church in Wales manages without being established.

I grew up in South Wales.

People still act as if the Church in Wales is Established.

I spoke to an Archdeacon from North Wales recently and he agreed with me.

Perhaps that is more because the CinW is the one that is organically in continuity with David and all the other original saints that first evangelised Wales, and all the others aren't. [Razz]

On the more general subject, in its long history, the Christian Church in these islands has had some very low periods. From about 450-650 it seems to have largely disappeared in the eastern half of the country, it was at a very low ebb in the aftermath of evicting the Danes in the 10th century. It had a very rough spell between 1525 and about 1580. Between 1642 and 1651 its members were killing each other off. It was very complacent in 1750.

The first thing I would say is that restructuring and programmes aren't a solution for anything. They may be a necessary tool for doing something else, but unless you know what that something else is and have designed them so as to achieve that, both are a waste of effort and an illusion.

Second, I've heard a lot of sermons over the last 60+ years and remember very little from any of them. Nevertheless, a few years ago, the Bishop of Swindon preached one that has stuck in my memory because it was saying something that really is important. It was that the church is about God. It isn't really about anything else.

Unless we really believe that and live by it, it is no wonder if we don't have much effect.

Third, many of the revivals before the 1520s were triggered and delivered by the religious. If we are traditional Prods, we may not recognise this. I'm not even sure the Oxford Movement got it. They seem very often to have concentrated on reviving the trappings of the religious life, the recreation of a sort of C15 dream-world. But the one thing that is really fundamental to the religious call is a 100% commitment to it.

Christianity is not another leisure activity like stamp-collecting, singing in a choir or going to the gym. There are many ways of living the faith, but at the core of none of the effective ones is 'you can take it or leave it'.

The revival when it happens will be founded in this. There will be quite a lot of people who will find that unsettling. If it happens while I am still alive, there will probably be some aspects that I will find unsettling. But so be it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'm not sure you are strictly correct on the preoccupations of the Oxford Movement. We are most aware of the trappings as these have come down to us and what most of us would regard as the Movement's legacy.

I was at the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius in the summer and it was observed that a whole plethora of religious communities and orders came out of late 19th century Anglicanism ... there were retreat houses, monasteries, convents, urban missions ...

Most of them have died out which is why we aren't aware of them. For whatever reason they proved largely unsustainable in the 20th century British climate and soil.

If you go to Llantwit Major in South Wales they'll still tell you about nuns and other religious who settled there in the early 20th century and who lived in poverty and obscurity - doing good and helping the people of the industrial valleys to the north.

I have no idea why these things haven't continued but they were there. There was more to the Oxford Movement than tat, lace, gin and sodomy.

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

I so much agree with Oscar the Grouch and Evangeline.

I think Oscar's point about this Bishop seeming to say to folk - you've got it all wrong and I'll now show you, (or what Oscar said!) - is very true. Not only is their a hint of arrogance, but also a hint of lack of thought and awareness.

Again as Oscar says there is nothing particularly new in what this Bishop and Archdeacon are saying its their approach, and lack of positivity.

Ultimately the strength of the C of E it seems to me is in the parishes. Its the parishes that have the churches, the worshippers (albeit declining), where the money comes from, where the laity are.

Gloomy pronouncements from bishops who come and go, and archdeacons who so often simply say 'Yes, the Bishop is right, and I agree with him' don't always encourage the lay people and the local church.

I think most churches know that they should work to appeal to all people whatever age.

The seed that grows grows from well cultivated soil and good quality local parish churches modelling how it can be done are important. Such churches will have prayer, worship and pastoral care at the heart of their life. Sometimes their numbers may go down sometimes up. Lets hope bishops say well done to such churches and their people.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure you are strictly correct on the preoccupations of the Oxford Movement. We are most aware of the trappings as these have come down to us and what most of us would regard as the Movement's legacy.

I was at the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius in the summer and it was observed that a whole plethora of religious communities and orders came out of late 19th century Anglicanism ... there were retreat houses, monasteries, convents, urban missions ...

Most of them have died out which is why we aren't aware of them. For whatever reason they proved largely unsustainable in the 20th century British climate and soil.

If you go to Llantwit Major in South Wales they'll still tell you about nuns and other religious who settled there in the early 20th century and who lived in poverty and obscurity - doing good and helping the people of the industrial valleys to the north.

I have no idea why these things haven't continued but they were there. There was more to the Oxford Movement than tat, lace, gin and sodomy.

Quite. Stolen Daughters, Virgin Mothers is an excellent book on the topic, by the way.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ashworth
Shipmate
# 12645

- Posted      Profile for Ashworth   Email Ashworth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One of the problems I have with the Bishop of Blackburn's pronouncements is that they come from a pretty unreconstructed conservative evangelical, who has not shown much sign so far that he appreciates the nuances of engaging afresh in a post-Christian society.

On the surface, his analysis is reasonably accurate - though hardly ground-breaking, as many people have been pointing this out for some years. The stats don't lie. What matters most is what (if anything) to do about it.

I'm also a little concerned about the message that he gives the existing congregations in the diocese - which is, effectively, "You've been doing it all wrong so far and now I'm going to put you right".

I was quite surprised to hear of some the Bishop of Blackburn's comments because my experience of the Blackburn Diocese has been very well attended churches. However, all my visits to churches in the diocese have been in fairly wealthy areas along the coast around, Lytham, St Annes and Blackpool. Yes, there are some quite middle class, wealthy areas,of Blackpool away from the town centre!

The main difference I have found is that many of these churches in these areas are of the anglo-catholic tradition. In the type of residential areas that in other parts of the country you would traditionally find large, well cared for, relatively wealthy conservative evangelical churches, here you find large, well cared for, relatively wealthy anglo-catholic churches.

St Stephens on the Cliff, St Christopher's Haweside and St Paul's Marton all in Blackpool are all of this type. There's also a whole string of parishes along the coast through St Anne's and Lytham of the same type. Many of these churches have well over 100 communicants at their Parish Eucharist each Sunday and the amount of money given in the collection is not small.

Except for St Stephen's none of these churches have been strongly Forward in Faith. However, perhaps because many of the clergy, and a significant number of laity, are quietly more of that persuasion and are now in sympathy with the Soiciety of St Wilfrid and St Hilda, the current Bishop of Blackburn does not wish to acknowledge their success. Is he worried that many of the churches in his diocese that are thriving and perhaps even growing are of this type.

I don't know what the rest of the diocese is like. There may be areas around Blackburn and Burnley in East Lancashire where the church is in big trouble.

Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Most evangelical Anglicans I know would be broadly in favour of disestablishment.

I can't see how establishment or disestablishment would affect Anglican evangelicals one way or another.

The Church in Wales is often seen as generally 'High Church' but, on a smaller scale, it has all the nuances and shades of Anglican opinion that you'd find in the CofE or most other churches within the Anglican Communion.
There wasn't a mass exodus of evangelical Anglicans when the Church in Wales was disestablished.

I see no reason why there would be if the Church of England were disestablished this year, next year or in 20 or 30 years time.

My impression (which has been reinforced by some of your comments on other threads) is that the CinW has become the default church in Wales because the alternatives in many cases (though obviously not all) have weakened quite rapidly. In this environment, it hardly makes sense for Anglican evangelical congregations to go it alone, and risk facing the same fate.

England seems to be different, though. For a start, size matters; many evangelical Anglican congregations in England are likely to be bigger and wealthier than the ones in Wales, which could make the decision to leave easier. Also, while many independent churches may be struggling in Wales, a number of English independent churches are more successful than their local CofE parish churches. Although they may lack the age and stability of the CofE 'brand', neither do they appear to be on the brink of implosion. Their example might encourage some CofE congregations to go it alone.

OTOH, there's Magersfontein Lugg's comment that
quote:
I suspect some evangelical vicars are in the C of E for the employment package and take much else loosely. They seem in some places to me to run their own shows with only an occasional nod to the diocesan authorities.

Would you agree with this?

I can well imagine that there are CofE evangelicals who'd approve of disestablishment. Presumably some of them think it would make a positive difference to their work within the CofE. But others might want it because it would provide them with a 'good' excuse to go! (I know some Christians who are like that; they won't be 'pushed out' of their church, but they'd like an honourable reason to leave.)

If evangelicalism does become the dominant force within the CofE, as predicted then disestablishment might become irrelevant to many evangelicals themselves. But the country at large might not want to be officially represented by Christians like that....

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] ....the country at large might not want to be officially represented by Christians like that....

They're not over happy at being represented by the current bunch of indecisive, bearded, fence sitters either (hyperbolic parody) - hence the meltdown in attendance.

It can't get any worse - so be hung for doing something as opposed to seeking accommodation and achieving nothing.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The meltdown in attendance follows from the majority of the population's walking on by, not believing or being interested. If it merely derived from too many indecisive, bearded, fence sitters, the other denominations would be bulging at the seams with disaffected members of the CofE. Chapels would be open and booming, not converted into private houses, gurdwaras or minimarts.

Besides, to refer to the general population as "not over happy at being represented by" is a very odd verb for anyone to choose. 'Represented by' to whom? God? Parliament? Archbishop Justin Welby? Their neighbours?

I've once heard a very high-church vicar with a very high-church view of the Eucharist describe a Holy Communion service as offered on behalf of the whole of his parish. However, I don't think the 10,000 odd residents who never go to that parish church or anywhere else, are even aware of the times of services, yet alone what goes on there.

[ 05. November 2014, 11:45: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OTOH, there's Magersfontein Lugg's comment that
quote:
I suspect some evangelical vicars are in the C of E for the employment package and take much else loosely. They seem in some places to me to run their own shows with only an occasional nod to the diocesan authorities.

Would you agree with this?

Again I'm speaking from a London context here, but if anything the evangelical parishes around me could more than easily sustain themselves outside of the CofE, as they have larger congregations and more giving.

I have to question Magersfontein Lugg's entire premise here. There are smaller evangelical churches in the UK that pay their ministers quite a bit more than the standard CofE stipend.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
To refer to the general population as "not over happy at being represented by" is a very odd verb for anyone to choose. 'Represented by' to whom? God? Parliament? Archbishop Justin Welby? Their neighbours?

I've heard it said that the CofE acts vicariously, doing Christianity on behalf of people who don't wish to practise themselves, but who identify as Christians. It's also said to be 'representative' of faith communities in England generally. Perhaps most visibly, it has the task of providing public religious ceremony on a civic level. These, to me, are examples of the CofE 'representing' the nation.

If the CofE really doesn't have this representative purpose then it's hard to see why establishment is valuable. (Well, there are some atheists who think it keeps a lid on the crazy fundamentalist side of Christianity, but that's another subject.)

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

What really came through was - people want to participate in ways that are meaningful to them, not just walk in sit down and go home ...

They want more outreach to the community like building ramps for houses of poor folks with a new disability, reaching out to new widows/widowers with practical help like yard care, take part in the local soup kitchen.

Isn't church attendance the most basic, minimum level of outreach? Perhaps people who think that walking in and sitting down isn't "meaningful" participation don't realise that their presence in the congregation is part of their ministry in the church - a vocation?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
I've heard it said that the CofE acts vicariously, doing Christianity on behalf of people who don't wish to practise themselves, but who identify as Christians.

Some of those who fit that description may use that as a convenient way of thinking that lets them off the hook. It is though, an approach that is likely to lead to a very nasty shock shortly after death.

I'd hope there's no one in any official position who would advocate this.
quote:
It's also said to be 'representative' of faith communities in England generally. Perhaps most visibly, it has the task of providing public religious ceremony on a civic level. These, to me, are examples of the CofE 'representing' the nation.

If the CofE really doesn't have this representative purpose then it's hard to see why establishment is valuable. ...

I support establishment, but IMHO it has little to do with providing religious services to the state. It's about representing God in Christ to the state and the community, getting across the fundamental idea that in any exercise of power or doing any sort of service, one is accountable to God and that this applies just as much to those who say they don't believe in Him.

The Queen often expresses this rather well in her Christmas broadcasts.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
quote:
I've heard it said that the CofE acts vicariously, doing Christianity on behalf of people who don't wish to practise themselves, but who identify as Christians.

Some of those who fit that description may use that as a convenient way of thinking that lets them off the hook. It is though, an approach that is likely to lead to a very nasty shock shortly after death.

I'd hope there's no one in any official position who would advocate this.

I once heard a vicar on the radio describe the CofE as 'the church for people who don't go to church'. It's an ambiguous phrase, because it could be interpreted to mean that you don't need to go. But no church can exist without at least some participants, hence the vicariousness.

Obviously, it can have other meanings, such as the one you give at the end of the quotation below.

quote:
]I support establishment, but IMHO it has little to do with providing religious services to the state. It's about representing God in Christ to the state and the community, getting across the fundamental idea that in any exercise of power or doing any sort of service, one is accountable to God and that this applies just as much to those who say they don't believe in Him.

I think the servanthood understanding of establishment is perhaps more relevant, and certainly more visible, than its ability to reveal that we're all accountable to God.

Put another way, ISTM that 'representing God in Christ to the state' is done by the CofE via its services to the state (i.e. the people). Otherwise, it's not clear to me how the CofE get its 'fundamental idea' across.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've once heard a very high-church vicar with a very high-church view of the Eucharist describe a Holy Communion service as offered on behalf of the whole of his parish. However, I don't think the 10,000 odd residents who never go to that parish church or anywhere else, are even aware of the times of services, yet alone what goes on there.

I thought that was why the Angelus was sounded at the moment of Consecration, so the parishioners would know of the miracle of the transformation of the bread and wine even if they couldn't be present.

Most, of course, would just say, "I wonder why that church bell's ringing?", assuming they noticed it at all.

Baptists don't have bells, of course - or parishes.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
... Otherwise, it's not clear to me how the CofE get its 'fundamental idea' across.

I would hope the fundamental idea of the CofE - and of other ecclesial communities - is some version, however expressed of "Christ died for our sins and on the third day rose again", "seek ye first his kingdom and his righteousness" and "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your whole household".

Against that, establishment is of second, third or even fourth order significance.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

1. The meltdown in attendance follows from the majority of the population's walking on by, not believing or being interested. If it merely derived from too many indecisive, bearded, fence sitters, the other denominations would be bulging at the seams with disaffected members of the CofE. Chapels would be open and booming, not converted into private houses, gurdwaras or minimarts.

2. I've once heard a very high-church vicar with a very high-church view of the Eucharist describe a Holy Communion service as offered on behalf of the whole of his parish. However, I don't think the 10,000 odd residents who never go to that parish church or anywhere else, are even aware of the times of services, yet alone what goes on there.

1. True - most people aren't interested because the church doesn't attract them. All they hear about is rows and arguments ... and they might just find the same on a visit to a local church.

As for the bearded fence sitters, we in other denominations have them as well (normally without the beards and the pointy hats). That's why many churches are struggling - some buck the trend and that's usually not down to theology or tribe, most often because they engage with the local community - going out instead of expecting others just to come in regardless.

2. It's a trifle arrogant if such a view is intended to imply that only the eucharist offered by the established church count in this regard. In my particular church we'd see that everything we do is offered to God on behalf of others.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't speak for Enoch of course but I would be surprised if that was the case. I would be inclined to agree with the priest but would certainly not view only that Eucharist as valid. I think I've said before that while I see the parish priest's role as being for everyone in the parish, that's not to the exclusion of other churches in the area.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
I can't speak for Enoch of course but I would be surprised if that was the case. I would be inclined to agree with the priest but would certainly not view only that Eucharist as valid. I think I've said before that while I see the parish priest's role as being for everyone in the parish, that's not to the exclusion of other churches in the area.

Thank you for such graciousness - pity my local Anglican colleague doesn't feel the same. Somehow we aren't "real" because we "can't do the magic."
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
The meltdown in attendance follows from the majority of the population's walking on by, not believing or being interested.

Thank you for this - it brought to mind a recent article in a trad Anglo-Catholic journal, about why bother offering the Eucharist when few people come.

x

AV

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

But then, ExclamationMark, I could also point you to Baptists who wouldn't consider your local Anglican colleague 'real' because he says prayers out of a book rather than making them up extemporaneously each time ...

These things cut both ways, I'm afraid.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course Baptists are the only true Christians. After all, John the Baptist was the first Baptist. Don't know if the UK has this strand of Baptist but they are surprisingly common in the United States. Not a majority by any means but they make up a significant minority.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Beeswax Altar ... you should know better than to tempt me to make ad hominem remarks about the USA ... and Texas in particular.

Must ... re.sist ...

More seriously, no, we don't have that many of that kind of Baptist over here. We have some, but not on the same scale as you have them over there.

The Baptist Union over here is largely evangelical but it's by no means like the Southern Baptists nor the various independent Baptists you have in such large numbers.

This is a whopping big generalisation but British Baptists are generally pretty benign compared with some of their US cousins.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
But then, ExclamationMark, I could also point you to Baptists who wouldn't consider your local Anglican colleague 'real' because he says prayers out of a book rather than making them up extemporaneously each time ...

These things cut both ways, I'm afraid.

Of course it's both/and - but just remember who has the bigger public voice.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
This is a whopping big generalisation but British Baptists are generally pretty benign compared with some of their US cousins.

Yep - a fair few passive:aggressives though. Cross them at your peril - the cuddly kitten wields a sharp axe (tongue).
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Some of the Reformed Baptist and Grace Baptist groups - independent Baptist types - are similar to what you'll have in the USA but there are still differences.

I had some friends in a Reformed Baptist church in a northern English city and a visiting US preacher was surprised to hear them singing contemporary worship songs and choruses as well as traditional hymns.

He was taken aback because he associated the former with charismatics and Pentecostals - neither of which he considered to be 'proper' Christians.

This was quite a hard-line Calvinistic place in some respects but clearly not as hard-line as its opposite numbers and equivalents in your part of the world.

I hope I can say that without sounding like I'm making a value judgement or starting a Pond War.

[Frown]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

In my experience, the passive:aggressive Baptists tend to reserve their aggression for among themselves.

Hell hath no Fury like a Baptist church divided against itself ...

[Frown]

Fortunately, I managed to avoid a lot of that when I was involved with Baptist churches, but I know of a few instances where things went pear-shaped badly - just as they used to among the restorationist house-churches and other independent groups.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
In my experience, the passive:aggressive Baptists tend to reserve their aggression for among themselves.

Just so!
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or, even more relevantly, claiming that your baptism is invalid because you were baptised as an infant rather than as an adult.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

quote:
Originally posted by Ashworth:
quote:

I was quite surprised to hear of some the Bishop of Blackburn's comments because my experience of the Blackburn Diocese has been very well attended churches. However, all my visits to churches in the diocese have been in fairly wealthy areas along the coast around, Lytham, St Annes and Blackpool. Yes, there are some quite middle class, wealthy areas,of Blackpool away from the town centre!

I wonder if the Bishop of Blackburn and his Archdeacon are seeing churches in places like Lytham and Blackpool and saying yes there are good congregations but they are old people who will be dead by 2050. So we must have youth etc etc.

I wonder. I wonder if these retirement places renew their elderly congregations. That is yes older people die but slightly less older move in on retirement.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wonder. I wonder if these retirement places renew their elderly congregations. That is yes older people die but slightly less older move in on retirement.

That's often the way even where the age profile is generally younger. Almost by definition, many people are drawn to faith in middle age and later, when they enter a more reflective stage of life. Then when they retire they have more time to devote to church anyway.

Of course there will always be some young people attracted to various forms of church. Obviously some will prefer extrovert charismatic-evangelical worship (though not necessarily swallowing the evangelical hard line on dead horse issues and others), but some - maybe a minority, maybe not - will be drawn to contemplative or liturgical forms. I don't think the church should get all neurotic about the comparative lack of youth, however. If there were more young people in the pews years ago it's probably down to church-based youth clubs and uniformed organisations. Even in their secular versions these don't attract the numbers they used to.

I remember an archdeacon some 40+ years ago bewailing a church he had just visited where all the congregation were older than he was. I don't think that particular parish has closed; churches have a way of renewing themselves. And those that don't, well, times change.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

What I've read is that the elderly don't automatically become more religious than younger people; it's rather that recent cohorts of old people grew up in a more religious age, and have retained or returned to the faith of their youth. People without a religious background are less likely to become religious in old age (see 'Age or Cohort Effects').

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

I remember an archdeacon some 40+ years ago bewailing a church he had just visited where all the congregation were older than he was. I don't think that particular parish has closed; churches have a way of renewing themselves. And those that don't, well, times change.

I'm not sure that churches have a 'way of renewing themselves'. ISTM that in those cases of positive change the environmental conditions have become more advantageous for the church, or else a deliberate vision taken up and acted upon by the minister and congregation has had an effect. Probably both.

I don't think it's helpful to imply that a church will renew itself without any effort, or that if a church is struggling, it should just accept decay and possible closure as a sign of the times!

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Or, even more relevantly, claiming that your baptism is invalid because you were baptised as an infant rather than as an adult.
I haven't come across anyone in a BUGB Church making statements like that for something like 15 years.

The vast majority of churches have open communion and open membership - membership being dependent simply on a declaration of faith. In most churches you can serve as a leader without being baptised (in any form). That's not the same as the CofE.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Interesting, I hadn't realised that you could be a leader in a BUGB church without being baptised in any form.

Are there any Baptist ministers - ie. paid clergy as it were - who haven't been baptised?

I'd be surprised if there were.

I'd be less surprised to find house-group leaders and others who hadn't been baptised as believers ... but I'd be surprised to find people who hadn't been baptised - or christened if you'd prefer to call it that - at all.

You mention this as if it is some kind of preferable state of affairs to the CofE one.

I'm finding myself struggling to understand why this should be the case unless the BUGB wanted to take up a more Quaker or Salvationist type position.

One could argue that it simply reveals the lack of theological discipline and regularity there ... [Big Grin]

It all depends on where you stand, of course.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016