homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do Bright and Light parties fulfil a need? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Do Bright and Light parties fulfil a need?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Locally Churches Together have run a Bright and Light Party on Halloween for primary age children to give them an alternative to trick and treating.

This is a version

Here the party runs from 4:30pm or 5pm to 6pm/6:15pm depending on whether it's a school night or not. And the requirement is that children dress in bright colours and take part in bright and light activities. Halloween costumes are discouraged. It's all free and frothy.

When I have helped in the past I have met several of the children who attended earlier changed into Halloween costumes and out trick or treating as I headed home after clearing away. Which seems somewhat to defeat the object of the exercise.

I really have two or three questions:

1. What is the point of these parties? If they are intended to provide an alternative to trick or treating, why are they aimed at the young children who almost certainly trick or treat in groups with an adult, or in a small residential area where everyone knows everyone else? If the idea is to avoid the big problems with trick or treating why aren't the parties later and aimed at teenagers?
  2. What is the theology behind churches providing an alternative of bright and light to the day of the dead type / All Souls celebrations? Is this reflecting a lack of theology about death and dying?
  3. If we want to provide an alternative to the secular Halloween celebrations, should we be doing something for young people that allows them to discuss and face death and dying, rather than ignore it entirely and brush it under the carpet?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main purpose of "light parties" is to prove that Christians don't party well.

I do understand the intent behind them, but I think, as you suggest, that it is a mistaken theology that drives this. We should use the season to talk about the reality of the spiritual, of evil, of the dark. Instead, there is a tendency to say "Halloween is bad - be bright and lovely instead".

I do remember one Halloween a group I was in wanted to talk about the importance of rejecting the evil and embracing the good and so decided to burn things that we needed to reject. Unfortunately, what it meant was that we were in a graveyard on Halloween, making a fire and burning stuff. That was even more creepy.

The truth as I see it is that there is dark in the world, and we need to acknowledge that, talk about it, and drain it of power - not ignore it and pretend that it is something horrible that we would never touch.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The website says that they are "not keen on Halloween's ugliness."

This is kinda like saying that we're not really keen on the sacharine sweetness of Valentine's Day, so instead of handing out sentimental cards with hearts and cherubs, we're gonna hand out pictures of of bloody skulls with axes embedded in them.

Obviously, you're entitled to do that, and the rest of us are to think you're some sort of [unpurgatorial word for a socially maladjusted individual].

[ 01. November 2014, 14:17: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat cross-posted with the beagle.

I should admit to a bit of a bias, in that I was raised by a mother who, God bless her heart, was decidedly on the treacly side of things, and once made me go as a harlequin for Halloween. Never quite got over that little adventure in incongruity.

[ 01. November 2014, 14:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Just to play, umm, Devil's Advocate for a sec...

quote:
The truth as I see it is that there is dark in the world, and we need to acknowledge that, talk about it, and drain it of power - not ignore it and pretend that it is something horrible that we would never touch.

Do you think that Halloween can be that easily "housebroken" to fit a Christian worldview? It seems to me that the whole idea of it is a celebration, albeit within a confined setting, of deviance and darkness.

That's why I think the goodie-goodies who complain "We shouldn't be teaching kids that it's okay to go around making threats in order to get candy" are kinda missing the point. It's precisely that aspect of human nature which, if only on a symbolic level, is being allowed to roam free.

For the record, we always yelled "Halloween Apples", not "Trick Or Treat" where I lived, so I'm not just engaging in wistful nostalgia for my lost boyhood here.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum tells me that when she was growing up, they had "Mischief Night" - a similar idea, but for her, it was a time of letting the younger ones let off steam, probably after a busy few weeks working on the harvest. As they would be liable to be stuck inside the house in the evenings for the next few months, it made sense.

That is about "celebrating the deviant", but within confines, and that idea can fit within Christianity - we are broken, fallen beings, we have trouble and mischief within us. We can celebrate that, because that is who we are. then we can continue to be reformed and changed into Gods likeness.

Celebrate that we are still not perfect, because if we were perfect, we would be dead.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand the motivation but find the 'Christian alternatives' to be cheesy and embarrassing for the most part.

Their only value seems to be to convince the organisers that they are doing something worthwhile and to give them a counter-cultural buzz once a year.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, Halloween was primarily a harvest fest. Candy corn, bobbing for apples, carving pumpkins.

Costumes were almost all "other cultures" or animal (I remember dressing like a "gypsy" or "turkish dancer," neighborhood boys were often "pirate" or lion or cowboy from a TV show). Toss in an occasional (but rare) bedsheet ghost.

In recent years many costumes have been graphically gruesome. Some Halloween stores give me the creeps just walking in the door. If that's what's going on in your area, I well understand trying to create an alternative.

But parties don't satisfy the Halloween itch, they didn't in my day either. My school threw a Halloween party with costume contest and games, but when my friends and I got home we wanted to go trick or treating.

Last night I went to the town Halloween fest fairly late -- more people were crowding the nearby residential streets trick or treating than were at the downtown fest. (A friend on one of the near-downtown residential streets said she went through $200 of candy. That was several years ago; crowds last night were at least double then, maybe more.)

Trick or treat is what kids want to do on Halloween; no matter what alternatives you offer, they'll enjoy the party but they still want to go trick or treating before or after the party.

(Kids includes teenagers, who usually trick or treat with no hint of costume.)

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
The website says that they are "not keen on Halloween's ugliness."

This is kinda like saying that we're not really keen on the sacharine sweetness of Valentine's Day, so instead of handing out sentimental cards with hearts and cherubs, we're gonna hand out pictures of of bloody skulls with axes embedded in them.

Obviously, you're entitled to do that, and the rest of us are to think you're some sort of [unpurgatorial word for a socially maladjusted individual].

I daresay such pictures would actually be rather appropriate, in commemoration of the martyrdom of St. Valentine!

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Just to play, umm, Devil's Advocate for a sec...

quote:

Do you think that Halloween can be that easily "housebroken" to fit a Christian worldview? It seems to me that the whole idea of it is a celebration, albeit within a confined setting, of deviance and darkness.

That's why I think the goodie-goodies who complain "We shouldn't be teaching kids that it's okay to go around making threats in order to get candy" are kinda missing the point. It's precisely that aspect of human nature which, if only on a symbolic level, is being allowed to roam free.

My understanding of Halloween was always that we wear costumes to celebrate our triumph over the evil spirits by aping them, or perhaps to hide from them, but certainly not to sincerely imitate them!

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Belle Ringer. I can remember when Hallowe'en was more about apple-bobbing and such than ghouls and ghosts and so on ... and yes, I agree that some of the grisliness has gone beyond ...

So I can understand the motivation to find alternatives.

Sadly, most of the alternatives are just naff.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager we didn't have any of the modern US-imported rubbish. Neither did we have the US-evangelical hysteria against it!

We had no pumpkins - we hollowed out a swede. Have you ever tried that???

And then we went to The Salvation Army youth club for a Tramps Supper.

Now, can you tell me what would be the most offensive [Biased] dressing up as a ghost or dressing up as a homeless person?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Bran Stark wrote:

quote:
My understanding of Halloween was always that we wear costumes to celebrate our triumph over the evil spirits by aping them, or perhaps to hide from them, but certainly not to sincerely imitate them!

That may be, though my guess is that when a kid dresses up as Dracula, or his parents put a flaming skull in the window, the general thought in their heads usually isn't "Parodying Evil testifies to its ultimate defeat through the omnipotence of God."

Rather, it's more just "Blood-sucking vampires and flaming skulls. Coo-oool!"

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The main purpose of "light parties" is to prove that Christians don't party well.

And from what I can gather - mission accomplished.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
When I was a teenager we didn't have any of the modern US-imported rubbish. Neither did we have the US-evangelical hysteria against it!

And then we went to The Salvation Army youth club for a Tramps Supper.

Now, can you tell me what would be the most offensive [Biased] dressing up as a ghost or dressing up as a homeless person?

That dates you, Mudfrog. Like me you are a relic of a more enlightened age! [Smile]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Instead of finding alternatives why not celebrate Halowe'en's Christian origins.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam, I think that's the intention, but the darkness bit gets swept away completely. The parties I have helped at have had lots of activities based on colour and light - no dark at all. And I think that we need to reflect the dark too, and these Bright and Light parties are misguided.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel frustrated by light parties. My kids know that the world is scary sometimes. They need to remember that God is with them in the dark, not to pretend it doesn't exist.

We did our own little halloween thing this year. It began a couple of years ago when the preschool had a halloween party so ignoring it wasn't an option. We turned off lights and talked about scary things, then lit a candle and saw how much difference it makes when there is a little light, and talked about Jesus being the light of the world. Easy when they are 4, can't see it working for much longer though!

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I agree with Mudfrog. I also think that the US-style evangelical reaction against Hallowe'en is counter-productive and tends to draw more attention to it than it deserves.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was a teenager we didn't have any of the modern US-imported rubbish.

Nothing like a little pond war fodder to adorn a thread with bright and light.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

And from what I can gather - mission accomplished.
Oh my, yes. I took my kids to one this year, not because I think they're an awesome idea, but because I'm not wild about walking around the neighbourhood with them, sanctioning the taking of candy from strangers, either. I thought my kids would be happy enough as long as they got to dress up and eat some lollies, so we went along to the 'light party' put on by one of the big local churches. The following are my impressions: a lot of people had put a lot of effort into the event, so kudos to them for that. However, rather than just letting the kids have a party time without the 'evil' undertones, it was used as an evangelism opportunity, which irritated me - it's called a 'party' on the flyers, but you have to sit down and listen to a 'show' which is three guys dramatically reading some passage from Acts, before you're allowed to do any activities. Then there's the activities. The point of these was to earn some party currency (ie little coins- which had crosses embossed on them...), and you could use these coins to 'pay' for various types of treat foods. One of which was a 'party bag' which contained one wrapped chocolate, one lollipop, one small pack of unflavoured rice crackers, and a little box of raisins. When I saw that, I thought, 'Jeez, guys, don't have too much fun, you might have a sensation overload or something.' And what's with the earning your treats? This is how to show an alternative to the way the world does things? By going for parsimony and and a 'work for your candy' model, on the one night of the year when everyone else* does something that looks a bit like grace?

Anyway, glad it's over. All that said, my perspective is that of an adult. My kids professed to enjoy it and went to bed happy, and it was only two hours of my life...

*ie: the people handing out the candy, not the trick-or-treaters...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church has a light party but I really don't get it, why invent a Christian alternative rather than just look to Christian tradition? And it does seem a cheesy sanitised version that avoids the issues.
My youngest went to a Halloween party dressed as a Zombie Doctor Who instead...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Locally Churches Together have run a Bright and Light Party on Halloween for primary age children to give them an alternative to trick and treating.

Better than telling they aren't allowed to do anything fun, I suppose.

quote:
What is the theology behind churches providing an alternative of bright and light to the day of the dead type / All Souls celebrations? Is this reflecting a lack of theology about death and dying?
I'd say, "Yes, most likely."

quote:
If we want to provide an alternative to the secular Halloween celebrations, should we be doing something for young people that allows them to discuss and face death and dying, rather than ignore it entirely and brush it under the carpet?

Yes. Though I'd suggest an addition, not an alternative.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You could combine them. [Smile]

Oh, and Happy All Hallows' (Saints') Day to all! [Yipee]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

You could combine them. [Smile]

Oh, and Happy All Hallows' (Saints') Day to all! [Yipee]

A dead homeless person! Excellent.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does seem a little strange to me to see Churches protesting against the secularisation (and pagan-isation) of a day which is widely acknowledged to have had Pagan roots. So really, what they're doing now is re-branding their original take over.

I'm not sure what I make of it to be honest. I think I'm in agreement with those here that have suggested there is a serious need to acknowledge darkness and wrong in the world and not to bury it under fairy lights and sugar but how you do that effectively in a society that no longer knows how to take Christianity seriously is difficult.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Hmmm ...

A fair point on the Pond War thing, Mousethief but in this instance I think Mudfrog also has a fair point.

I don't think Mudfrog would turn his nose up at all US imports, any more than I would - but on this one I'd agree that the Americanisation of Hallowe'en is a pretty reprehensible development.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
When I was a teenager we didn't have any of the modern US-imported rubbish.

Nothing like a little pond war fodder to adorn a thread with bright and light.
We'll see where your related post in the Styx gets you with the relevant powers that be. In the meantime, accusing someone of fuelling a pond war is, as far as I can see, the equivalent to spoiling for one.

Whatever the Styx ruling, within the Purgatory hosts' remit, all participants are reminded that pond war fuelling, accusations of pond war fuelling, junior hosting, and disregard for the Ten Commandments and hostly interventions are not to be indulged in here.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
A dead homeless person! Excellent.

And the subject of one of the most awesome and touching single-issue comics I've read: Neil Gaiman's "Hold Me." A very different John Constantine story...

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I think I'm in agreement with those here that have suggested there is a serious need to acknowledge darkness and wrong in the world and not to bury it under fairy lights and sugar

I agree about that, but that's not what Halloween is supposed to be about at its heart: It's about death, especially (but not limited to) dead loved ones, which is not the same thing. Fairy lights, and sugar, and decorated candy skulls, and such. [Smile]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

A better link for "Hold Me."

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ah yes - the smell of burning swede. That takes me back...

ETA: Not so many "gruesome" costumes around here. Lots of superheroes, about a gazillion Elsas from Frozen, and a bunch of teen girls in "as skimpy as Mom and Dad will let me get away with" and bobbly antennae, devil horns or similar. About 1% home-made creative costumes.

[ 01. November 2014, 19:41: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Whatever the Styx ruling, within the Purgatory hosts' remit, all participants are reminded that pond war fuelling, accusations of pond war fuelling, junior hosting, and disregard for the Ten Commandments and hostly interventions are not to be indulged in here.

/hosting

Noted.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest innovation here in So. Cal. is trunk-or-treat-- when the church members bring their cars to the parking lot, open up decorated trunks filled with candy, so the neighborhood kiddos can trick-or-treat from trunk to trunk. Can make a nice option for neighborhoods where trick-or-treating is unsafe (or, in my neighborhood, where newly arrived immigrants find the practice bewildering and are caught unprepared). As with the other options mentioned here, it's often just a tag-on to the rest of the trick-or-treating, but has the advantage of losing some of the joykiller aspect of some church festivals.

This discussion got me thinking about probably my favorite Halloween episode of any TV show-- Nothing Sacred-- an American show, cancelled too soon when it's frank and honest portrayals of religious life caused too much controversy among the exact same sort who'd run a "light and bright" party. The episode had many interweaving themes with their dealing with the reality of evil-- domestic abuse, poverty, sickness, etc. The culmination was a trunk-or-treat in their inner-city parish parking lot for the neighborhood children, followed by this hauntingly beautiful closing sequence where they gathered around a bonfire and tossed in sticks representing all the ways fear had held them back in the last year. It closed with the Breastplate of St. Patrick.

Someday I'm gonna do that.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
I feel frustrated by light parties. My kids know that the world is scary sometimes. They need to remember that God is with them in the dark, not to pretend it doesn't exist.

Precisely. It seems that churches who like them often have problems with seeing God in the world outside their church bubbles.

God is there in the dark. God is there when life is crap, not just when everything is lovely. Or he is no God at all.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I don't think Mudfrog would turn his nose up at all US imports, any more than I would - but on this one I'd agree that the Americanisation of Hallowe'en is a pretty reprehensible development.

The thing is, it's not Americanization. It's borrowing some aspects of American Halloween without their original context.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just had our first Halloween in Canada. Scores of kids in fancy dress saying "Happy Halloween!" and then taking (politely) some sweets, whilst parents watched from the street to make sure all was well. It was great fun.

I especially loved some of the smaller kids dressed up as incredibly cute monsters. But we also had batman, a couple of princesses, a scarecrow and the complete cast of Scream.

I'll admit that I am old enough to remember the older Halloween traditions in the UK and to feel a little saddened that they have been pretty much overwhelmed by "trick or treat". But I've never seen the point in these "Bright and Light" parties. All they do is mark out Christians as boring and stuffy.

What I observed last night was an event where one of the primary purposes seems to be the nourishing of community life. Loads of people out on the streets and on the doorsteps saying "hi" to one another. Far better for Christians to be involved with that, than stuck away in a church hall somewhere pretending to have "better fun".

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oscar, I'd agree if that was what I saw on the streets at Halloween. Mostly the streets are empty(ish) and lots of people hide in their homes (and I do mean hide - lights off and don't answer the door). That isn't community building. Halloween in the UK is just weird.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

The thing is, it's not Americanization. It's borrowing some aspects of American Halloween without their original context.

Moo

I think that's fair comment. It could be added that the "light and shite" parties (as Malcolm Tucker would doubtless call them) involve borrowing the neurotic aspects of US evangelicalism without its more positive aspects.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid my church had a regular Halloween party for the little kids. Costumes, Halloween games (bobbing for apples, apple on a string, those are the two I remember but there were more) and prizes for the best costume. The adult helpers came in costume too. When i was older the youth group threw a Halloween party for ourselves as well, again costumes, treats, and games. It was all a lovely fun time and all church sanctioned. Some of my happiest childhood Halloween-related memories.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends where you are in the UK.

Obviously I didn't get to experience Halloween in Scotland this year, and last year was awkward. But, we had small groups of local children knock on doors (those with porch lights on and other decorations to be welcoming) and 'guising *. Which seems much more fun than just getting given sweets for doing nothing more than saying "trick or treat". I spent an hour walking around with the group of parents who were making sure everyone was OK, that they all watched for traffic when crossing the road, no one went to any of the houses with porch lights off, carrying the carrier bags full of sweets since little hands can only carry so much. Most of the time we don't let ourselves just chat with neighbours, much less walk up to their doors. Fun for kids, and community building for parents.

I can see it working much better in areas where there isn't much traffic, cul-de-sacs or other quite roads. I can certainly see it as a logistic nightmare in denser urban settings with heavy traffic, lots of flats with security entrances etc.

We were discussing Halloween traditions on Friday at work. It's a festival that has no roots here at all (the traditional commemoration for the dead is in the summer). We all had a common experience of when it started to become a big festival with trick-or-treat and costumes - it was following the release of the movie "E.T.".

* 'guising is the more traditional Scottish activity that has similarities to 'trick or treat', costumes and visiting houses getting sweets. The difference is that the door step visit involves singing songs, telling jokes, a bit of dancing or some other form of entertainment for the householder.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Oscar, I'd agree if that was what I saw on the streets at Halloween. Mostly the streets are empty(ish) and lots of people hide in their homes (and I do mean hide - lights off and don't answer the door). That isn't community building. Halloween in the UK is just weird.

Agreed. It's an attempt to imitate Halloween as seen on TV and in film. But all that people have imitated is the "trick or treat" begging for sweets. Almost none of the American hospitality and friendliness has been incorporated. I've experienced more than enough awkward Halloweens in the UK, which is why I found this one in Canada so different.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a newer thing for evangelicals to be anti-Halloween? My dad grew up in Ethiopia as an Australian missionary kid and attended a boarding school where most of the other kids where the children on missionaries from the US and Canada. The school celebrated Halloween each year with a costume parade. I think the focus was on funny, original costumes rather than scary ones.

My dad had no idea what Halloween was his first school year so the other kids told him just to wear something funny. So he wore his clothes backwards and his underpants on his head! [Smile] I don't think he ever lived it down.

The next year his parents made sure he and his brother had proper costumes. This despite the fact that they were strict Methodists who at the time were taught even going to the cinema was evil. (They've become far less legalistic over the years).

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a fairly conservative Baptist church while growing up, and I don't remember there being any talk of Halloween being a bad thing when I was a kid.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mili:
Is it a newer thing for evangelicals to be anti-Halloween? My dad grew up in Ethiopia as an Australian missionary kid and attended a boarding school where most of the other kids where the children on missionaries from the US and Canada. The school celebrated Halloween each year with a costume parade. I think the focus was on funny, original costumes rather than scary ones. *snip*

In my eastern Ontario childhood, the local Baptists were not contra-hallowenial, but the Pentecostals definitely were. They were only ones against Hallowe'en when I was a child (aside from some Franco-Ontarian antic-clericals who were primarily against Hallowe'en as an English word and against the Christian feast of All Saints).

Anti-Hallowe'en sentiment seems to have increased in recent years. Friends of mine who evangelical-home school tell me that their (mainly US-origin) material has anti-Hallowe'en programming-- they were taken aback when I pointed out that as the vigil of All Saints, it had Xn origins. It is fair to note that the Xn links do feature in some home school materials, but there seems to be a great deal of historical ignorance here. The local RC school board (Ontario has a publicly-funded separate system) RE materials do relate to this, of course, and Mass assembly material for All Saints has a fair bit-- there is referencing to Haitian and Central American folk practices for the feast, as well as to the nigh-disappeared French Canadian and Irish customs of remembering families' recent dead.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I went to a fairly conservative Baptist church while growing up, and I don't remember there being any talk of Halloween being a bad thing when I was a kid.

One of my little school mates had a mom who was a full on holy roller-- house stuffed with Chick tracts, the works. She tried to campaign for the abolition of Halloween in our neighborhood, but it didn't take.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The roots of the current fundy hatred of Halloween are about as old as the roots of the "War on Christmas" nonsense, and just about as deep.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Mudfrog:

No, but my in laws are all Norwegians and there have been Christmases where I was tempted.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
originally posted by Mudfrog:

No, but my in laws are all Norwegians and there have been Christmases where I was tempted.
If your in-laws are Norwegian they probably relish the idea of hollowing out a Swede or two.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sad thing about Halloween is that most participants are completely ignorant of the festival and celebration of All Saints. I don't mind kids having a bit of fun dressing up and having a party as long as they don't go knocking on strangers' doors begging (a very dangerous activity). However, kids should also be exposed to the beautiful side of life and death with joyful memories of those we have loved/admired who have died and gone to eternal rest.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We celebrated Halloween/ All Saints/ All Souls with a rousing rendition of For All The Saints Who From Their Labour Rest to Williams's version, arguably the best hymn tune produced by the twentieth century.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016