homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Faith &/or Doctrine/Dogma (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Faith &/or Doctrine/Dogma
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“A faith is something one dies for,
a doctrine is something one kills for.
There is world of difference.”
Tony Benn

The above quotation from the late British MP Tony Benn highlights a problem of belief and belief systems. Can faith be sepated from dogma — does dogma need faith?

Kevin Smith’s 1999 film Dogma raises interesting issues somewhat parallel to the above question and quotation, IMHO, too.

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He made a false distinction so he could bolster a platitude. Color me underwhelmed.

And although I enjoyed Kevin Smith's film, the essential message (It doesn't matter what you believe, just believe in *something*) is banal and stupid. What if you choose to believe in the innate superiority of the German nation?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The fewer things people are willing to die or kill for, the better."

Boogie Smith

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Motylos:
quote:
“A faith is something one dies for,
a doctrine is something one kills for.
There is world of difference.”
Tony Benn

The above quotation from the late British MP Tony Benn highlights a problem of belief and belief systems. Can faith be sepated from dogma — does dogma need faith?
Neither should be died for or killed for I think. I see that definitions are:
dogma: 1. principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
and
doctrine: 1. a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group

Whether either or both are supported by objective evidence,, they should not be the cause of death.

Hmmm, I think that needs more thought!

[ 07. November 2014, 17:04: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faith does not need dogma.
Dogma can kill faith.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Faith does not need dogma.
Dogma can kill faith.

GG

Nice soundbite but it wouldn't have been much good in resolving the Arian controversy, for instance.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faith is faith 'in' and not faith 'that'.

We basically have faith 'in' Christ/God; but for that faith to be well-placed, we need to have faith 'that' he exists, that he is whom he says he is, that he died and rose again.

If those tenets of the faith - dogmas, if you like - are not clearly stated and subscribed to, then faith 'in'Christ is founded on very little.

It isn't opinion that will set us free, but truth.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doctrines are what you believe in, the propositional content of your faith. Dogma are those doctrines which in your mind must remain essentially unchanged in order for you to consider your faith essentially unchanged.

There is hence no faith without doctrine and dogma, that is simply a cognitive impossibility. You cannot reasonably declare that you have faith without being able to say in what, thus automatically establishing some doctrine. And you cannot sensibly claim that you maintain faith without at least implying what would show that you have stopped doing so, thus automatically establishing some dogma.

People get confused here by the requirements of some churches to accept certain doctrines and dogmas as one's own in order to become their member. That is a specific process, and whether it is good, bad or ugly - and whether one should kill another over it - is open for discussion.

The presence of doctrine and dogma wherever there is any faith isn't - that's just a fact.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps there is a bit of differential perception of the meanings of these words. Where I live "dogma" has very negative connotations. Anyone described as adhering to dogma is thought of as "dogmatic" and frankly, is perceived as the intellectual equivalent to "asshole". But we're pretty casual about authority-based approaches to anything

Doctrine would tend to be used to refer to things that cannot be proved but thought of as worthy of belief.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Dogma" and "doctrine" are technical theological terms, as Ingo points out above. The sort of person who uses the word "dogmatic" as an insult tends to have a log in his own eye.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
... and whether one should kill another over it - is open for discussion. ...

IngoB some of us would find that a very chilling statement.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
He made a false distinction so he could bolster a platitude. Color me underwhelmed.

And although I enjoyed Kevin Smith's film, the essential message (It doesn't matter what you believe, just believe in *something*) is banal and stupid. What if you choose to believe in the innate superiority of the German nation?

I loved "Dogma" but I too was dismayed with the vapid message. Kevin Smith really blew it there. It was so New Age-y! Maybe he was trying to show what a stand-up guy he is so he made Rufus be more liberal but that really sucked. Nice touch making God appear as a man AND a woman, though! I love to think about God being a beautiful woman...ahem! I have to go think pure, pious thoughts now! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogmas are essentially the same as axioms in logical discussion - they provide a bedrock without which any discussion ultimately dissolves into incoherence.

There is quite a lot of discussion on what - if any - differences exist between dogmas and axioms. They are typically described differently, but effectively finish up in functional identity IMHO (and in the opinion of some proper philosophers also).

Doctrine is simply "that which is taught". So I think I'm agreeing with IngoB here, except for the bit about killing people. Though I may have had a sense of humour failure at this late hour.

[ 07. November 2014, 21:50: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As cold as Cocytus.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem I've always had with dogma and doctrine is the more you define, the more you require in terms of belief, the more exclusive the religion becomes. This suits people who love to see themselves as a saved remnant from a lost humanity, but it isn't the God I believe in. I'm a minimalist in terms of what should be required doctrine.

Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary."

Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage. Jesus mostly told His followers that their destiny is decided by the way they treat each other. I see believing in Jesus mostly in terms of placing one's trust in what He said. I see faith in Him as faithfulness to the life He told us we must lead. That consistes of loving one another as He has loved us. It's a total orientation of life Godward, in knowledge that His love encopmasses all creation. So I place much more emphasis on devotion than on definitions.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
The problem I've always had with dogma and doctrine is the more you define, the more you require in terms of belief, the more exclusive the religion becomes. This suits people who love to see themselves as a saved remnant from a lost humanity, but it isn't the God I believe in. I'm a minimalist in terms of what should be required doctrine.

Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary."

Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage. Jesus mostly told His followers that their destiny is decided by the way they treat each other. I see believing in Jesus mostly in terms of placing one's trust in what He said. I see faith in Him as faithfulness to the life He told us we must lead. That consistes of loving one another as He has loved us. It's a total orientation of life Godward, in knowledge that His love encopmasses all creation. So I place much more emphasis on devotion than on definitions.

Thanks, Paul. My thoughts too. Jesus' words are more value than the formulations of church fathers and theologians.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

Faith (as discussed in some posts above, derived from doctrine/dogma) is dead, lifeless as a corpse. See James.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

Faith (as discussed in some posts above, derived from doctrine/dogma) is dead, lifeless as a corpse. See James.

False dichotomy.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As St. Bart the Simpson said, 'Sorry man, my karma ran over your dogma.'.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

False dichotomy.
Explain.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tony used the word 'dogma' in the commonly understood meaning of the term. It was at a time when Harold Wilson talked about 'theology' as a boo word.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't have faith without dogma. What do you have faith in if you have no beliefs? Nothing.

Faith is trust. What are you trusting in? What do you believe you're trusting in?

If you have faith then you have dogma. Yours just might be different from other peoples if you don't like toeing the line of a particular set of beliefs (dogmas).

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
You can't have faith without dogma. What do you have faith in if you have no beliefs? Nothing.

Evensong, I think you have spotted that the term "dogma" (much like the term "faith") is used by different people to mean different things. For some, the term "dogma" is what the Church, or part of the Church, teaches, usually with the implication "believe this or else ...".

Or, of course, you might say "After careful consideration I have come to believe that ..." and this is then your personal dogma which underpins your faith. Which some might consider an entirely reasonable approach.

A difference in definitions, perhaps. Which might, of course, be a bit of a tangent, but it seems to lie at the heart of a good deal of disagreement. FWIW I don't like toeing the line of other peoples dogmas either.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary." Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage.

No, it isn't. And you should know it because the One whom you claim as your master has provided a rather different summary of the whole of religion. But perhaps remembering the Two Great Commandments is already too dogmatic for you?

Oh yeah, and primary sources on this claim about Rabbi Hillel, please? The only thing an eminent Rabbi would have delivered if asked to distill doctrine while standing on one leg is his other leg swinging in an arc to deliver a much deserved kick in the butt. Furthermore, the idea that the very people who wrote the bloody Talmud share your dismissive attitude about "commentary" is just painful. What do you think the "School of Hillel" was actually about? Do you think they were learning algebra there, or something?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Folks seem to have a vision of what God is and what the attendant faith/doctrine/worship of God should be like according to their personalities.

For instance, those who have fine cognitive minds like exacting doctrine to help them understand God.

Those who might be more emotive find other ways to understand God.

I wonder which God prefers?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

IngoB's only. Maybe we need another other intercessor?

--------------------
Love wins

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary." Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage.

No, it isn't. And you should know it because the One whom you claim as your master has provided a rather different summary of the whole of religion. But perhaps remembering the Two Great Commandments is already too dogmatic for you?

Oh yeah, and primary sources on this claim about Rabbi Hillel, please? The only thing an eminent Rabbi would have delivered if asked to distill doctrine while standing on one leg is his other leg swinging in an arc to deliver a much deserved kick in the butt. Furthermore, the idea that the very people who wrote the bloody Talmud share your dismissive attitude about "commentary" is just painful. What do you think the "School of Hillel" was actually about? Do you think they were learning algebra there, or something?

Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg, and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

The story appears to be from Folio 31a of the Tractate Shabbath of the Babylonian Talmud:
quote:
On another occasion it happened that a certain heathen came before Shammai and said to him, 'Make me a proselyte, on condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot.' Thereupon he repulsed him with the builder's cubit which was in his hand.12 When he went before Hillel, he said to him, 'What is hateful to you, do not to your neighbour:13 that is the whole Torah, while the rest is the commentary thereof; go and learn it.'

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Faith is trust. What are you trusting in? What do you believe you're trusting in?

If you have faith then you have dogma. Yours just might be different from other peoples if you don't like toeing the line of a particular set of beliefs (dogmas).

Very good, Grasshopper.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I guess what PaulTH* wrote could mean that, though to me it still sounds more like the Rabbi was standing on one leg in his paraphrase.

quote:
and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

Good on Shammai.

quote:
The story appears to be from Folio 31a of the Tractate Shabbath of the Babylonian Talmud:
quote:
On another occasion it happened that a certain heathen came before Shammai and said to him, 'Make me a proselyte, on condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot.' Thereupon he repulsed him with the builder's cubit which was in his hand.12 When he went before Hillel, he said to him, 'What is hateful to you, do not to your neighbour:13 that is the whole Torah, while the rest is the commentary thereof; go and learn it.'

And good on Hillel, too, for that crucial last half-sentence which didn't make it into PaulTH*'s paraphrase...

--------------------

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry if I misquoted the Rabbi Hillel bit, it's many years since I read it, but the idea is there. Of course I believe in the Bible's overall message of our journey from the slavery of sin and attachment to the world, to the liberation of God's Promised Land, and the means which God has provided for us to achive this. It is necessary to have the faith to make this other wordly journey which often goes against our animal instincts of survival. Yet I still believe that it's making the journey which saves, rather than just believing in it.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Jesus saves.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Jesus saves.

In so many ways. He actually runs the bank. He is The Lifeguard. He plays goal on The Best Team. He lets the pope and a few other wirms* run things though.

*wirm: white intellectual rich man

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I guess what PaulTH* wrote could mean that, though to me it still sounds more like the Rabbi was standing on one leg in his paraphrase.

In a way I think it would make more sense - and be fairer - for the Gentile to challenge the Rabbi to stand on one leg, as you originally thought. It sounds like the Gentile is clearly expecting the task to be impossible (or at least very hard), so why trust him to be honest about how long he can really stand on one leg? (Not that he's seriously suggesting the trial, but I think the attempt at mockery would have had a better chance if he hadn't obviously combined the element of "Ha! You're so long-winded!" with "And I'm a dick!")
quote:
quote:
and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

Good on Shammai.

These pictures of a stout, 523 mm long royal Egyptian cubit suggest something quite suitable for administering a carefully measured beatdown.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Jesus saves.

From what? And perhaps more importantly: To what?

GG

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
doctrine: 1. a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group

I see doctrine as wider than just a set of beliefs. The etymology comes from the Latin decere (be fitting) and its causative doctore (to make to appear right / fitting). We get the words 'doctor' and 'decent' from these roots too.

Doctrine isn't some abstract set of beliefs - it's teachings that fit, that sit right. That's what I find in the teachings of Jesus. They make sense to my soul, even when they're on the surface counter-intuitive. They heal and they challenge. Doctrine and faith are much more closely entwined than we might believe. It's not that doctrine speaks to the head and faith speaks to the heart. Doctrine is only doctrine if it impacts our gut as well as our brain. Like the sermon on the mount does.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Jesus saves.

GG

And who is Jesus?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
quote:
Jesus saves.

GG

And who is Jesus?
To complete the set:
Who does Jesus save?
How does Jesus save?
Why does Jesus save?

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

From: Meaningless suffering ending in oblivion. To: eternal significance.

--------------------
Love wins

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
goperryrevs wrote:-
quote:
I see doctrine as wider than just a set of beliefs. The etymology comes from the Latin decere (be fitting) and its causative doctore (to make to appear right / fitting). We get the words 'doctor' and 'decent' from these roots too.
erm - I think you just conflated two verbs there. Decere (to be fitting) and docere (to teach), from which we get "doctor", "doctrine" etc.

I like your second paragraph notwithstanding that!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie
quote:
"The fewer things people are willing to die or kill for, the better."
While I agree that "the fewer things people are willing to kill for, the better", and that "the fewer things people have to die for, the better", surely the proposition that 'the fewer things people are willing to die for, the better" requires some clarification. After all, are not Christians called upon "to take up your cross and follow me"?
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Planeta Plicata
Shipmate
# 17543

- Posted      Profile for Planeta Plicata   Email Planeta Plicata   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In a way I think it would make more sense - and be fairer - for the Gentile to challenge the Rabbi to stand on one leg, as you originally thought. It sounds like the Gentile is clearly expecting the task to be impossible (or at least very hard), so why trust him to be honest about how long he can really stand on one leg? (Not that he's seriously suggesting the trial, but I think the attempt at mockery would have had a better chance if he hadn't obviously combined the element of "Ha! You're so long-winded!" with "And I'm a dick!")

According to a well-known explanation of this story in the Kli Yakar (a sixteenth-century commentary by Shlomo Ephraim Luntschitz), the would-be proselyte was entirely sincere, despite his apparent willingness to suggest that the Torah could be boiled down to a couple of sentences. The interpretation it suggests is that the Gentile, being elderly, was aware that his time for learning Torah had passed, and therefore wanted to know the fundamental thread that tied its endless complexity together.

By the way, in modern Hebrew (and Yiddish), the expression על רגל אחת ("on one foot") is used to mean something like "in a nutshell."

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:

"I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."

[ 09. November 2014, 22:00: Message edited by: Planeta Plicata ]

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
Originally posted by Planeta Plicata:
quote:

According to a well-known explanation of this story in the Kli Yakar (a sixteenth-century commentary by Shlomo Ephraim Luntschitz), the would-be proselyte was entirely sincere, despite his apparent willingness to suggest that the Torah could be boiled down to a couple of sentences. The interpretation it suggests is that the Gentile, being elderly, was aware that his time for learning Torah had passed, and therefore wanted to know the fundamental thread that tied its endless complexity together.

By the way, in modern Hebrew (and Yiddish), the expression על רגל אחת ("on one foot") is used to mean something like "in a nutshell."

Interesting! Though if the Gentile is assumed to be sincere and elderly, Shammai's response seems even more excessively hostile.
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
goperryrevs wrote:-
quote:
erm - I think you just conflated two verbs there. Decere (to be fitting) and docere (to teach), from which we get "doctor", "doctrine" etc.

I like your second paragraph notwithstanding that!

Yeah, they're two different verbs, but from the same root (docere came from decere). From this etymology site:

quote:
This comes from docere `to show, teach;' interestingly, docere originally meant `to make [something] appear right.' It came from decere `to be seemly, fitting.'
It is interesting to note that docere/decere came from the Indo-European base *dok-/*dek-, which also gave us Greek dokein `seem, think,' the source of such English words as dogma, orthodox, and paradox.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

An unpleasant trait in a person is to be dogmatic.
Can one stick by one's dogma and be undogmatic?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question. I'm drawn to a vivid NT illustration.

In 1 Cor 15 in the preamble to v20, Paul argues, persuasively, that if Christ is not risen our preaching is useless and we are to be pitied above all others.

But then he answers his own argument by the emphatic statement "But NOW (Gr nyni - an emphatic 'now', rendered in modern translations as 'indeed') is Christ risen". Something echoed in Easter services all over the world.

Now of course he has earlier appealed to the statements of witnesses. But I think the statement is classically dogmatic. This is essential. Believe this, believe this account of the withesses - or it all collapses. As you can see from this argument.

Now I am personally clear that Paul is right here. I believe him. I accept that the Resurrection created the Church, rather than the other way round. I suppose you might argue that I hold a dogmatic view of this aspect of history. I think you would be right to do that. Even if I allow for the possibility of this central 'now' acquiring some legendary aspects through time, essentially I am convinced that the witness of the church conveys the central truth. Christ is risen indeed and I hold that to be essential.

Now you may differ, of course, and I will always hear you out. But don't expect me to budge!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
An unpleasant trait in a person is to be dogmatic.
Can one stick by one's dogma and be undogmatic?

The vernacular of dogmatic implies inflexibility, hard-headedness and heartedness and is usually associated with being a dick.

It is quite possible IMO to stick by one's dogma and not be a dick.

Gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit.

The context is important too IMO.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:

Doctrine isn't some abstract set of beliefs - it's teachings that fit, that sit right. That's what I find in the teachings of Jesus. They make sense to my soul, even when they're on the surface counter-intuitive. They heal and they challenge. Doctrine and faith are much more closely entwined than we might believe. It's not that doctrine speaks to the head and faith speaks to the heart. Doctrine is only doctrine if it impacts our gut as well as our brain. Like the sermon on the mount does.

Thank you for that interesting and thoughtful, and wise, reply.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am clear sighted and firm minded.
You can be a bit stubborn at times.
He or she over there is a bigot.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The plumb line of doctrine seems to hang over words such as ‘orthodox’, ‘catholic’, and other such descriptions used from the time of the church councils to define who was ‘in’ and who was ‘out’ in terms of belonging to the imperial (Roman) Church. You might well have been ‘in’ on the opening day but be ‘‘out’ a day or so later. I think this was an imperial agenda which harmed the Church, because it defined faith by a set of temporal (chronologically) tenets fixed in a philosophical mindset of the contemporary culture. It meant a legacy that has lasted of Christians condemning Christians. This pursuit of orthodoxy and catholicity has divided and broken the Church century after century and is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people’s Christian faith.

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by Motylos:
The plumb line of doctrine seems to hang over words such as ‘orthodox’, ‘catholic’, and other such descriptions used from the time of the church councils to define who was ‘in’ and who was ‘out’ in terms of belonging to the imperial (Roman) Church. You might well have been ‘in’ on the opening day but be ‘‘out’ a day or so later. I think this was an imperial agenda which harmed the Church, because it defined faith by a set of temporal (chronologically) tenets fixed in a philosophical mindset of the contemporary culture. It meant a legacy that has lasted of Christians condemning Christians. This pursuit of orthodoxy and catholicity has divided and broken the Church century after century and is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people’s Christian faith.

It could as easily be viewed as a legacy of Christians condemning heresy, and rather than the division and breaking of the Church, the source of its preservation over the centuries. Perhaps someone else can point me to the great growth and cultural influence those churches wield who have abandoned any attempt at orthodoxy. I'll wait patiently.

If orthodoxy is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people's Christian faith, then 1) it's a good thing for them that there is grace and 2) they might expend some effort in catching up.

It's not as though the concept of heresy was invented at Nicaea, and the Arian controversy was by no means the first to have disturbed the Church. Either truth is important, or it isn't; in the latter case, why are we bothering with anything that doesn't give us all warm fuzzies?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016