homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Going through the motions for school admission (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Going through the motions for school admission
Pasta
Apprentice
# 5635

- Posted      Profile for Pasta   Email Pasta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it hard to sympathise with churches' whose complaint is that they are getting newcomers. But yes, I know the "local church for local people" syndrome.

--------------------
Happiness is a contented kipper

Posts: 43 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churches like the idea of newcomers in theory. But in practice, unless the newcomers are just like the oldies a large number of new people will entail a change of identity for the church, and that's hard to deal with.

It must be even worse if you know that the newcomers would rather not be there at all, except that they need the vicar to sign a form for them.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schools are generally seen as being about educating children - and the parents need to be aware of/accepting of the nature of the education their child will get at a church-run school.

But it seems to me that this attendance requirement is an attempt to 'educate' the parents first, to effectively enrol them as a condition of enrolling the children.

Which seems a bit problematic. No-one ever told my parents that before they could get me into piano lessons, they too had to study piano.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta:
I find it hard to sympathise with churches' whose complaint is that they are getting newcomers. But yes, I know the "local church for local people" syndrome.

Yes, especially when they make a point of publicly saying they're welcoming, but ignore newish people to the point of a) intensely gossiping about all sorts of church people and business, as if no one else is around; b) pretending as if the volunteers they're directly working with don't exist; and c) are usually only interested in people who are rich, famous, or are both in need AND unusually talented.

If you don't want anyone but The Right People in your church, don't pretend you want the general public to join.

(Me? Issues? [Biased] )

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasta
Apprentice
# 5635

- Posted      Profile for Pasta   Email Pasta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of these newcomers are very supportive of the church in a vague Queen, Tradition, Jerusalem and Midnight Mass sort of way. They will have been to church a number of times anyway in their life. In the whole post modern "belong before you believe" world I would have thought the system is perfect; but only in church can you preach forgiveness while hating your brother and frantically organise mission weeks whilst resenting the newcomers that come from the school.

I do wonder if the real issue is that the church is secretly miffed that they didn't get the new family in; because if they'd done it then that would be kudos to them!

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent, but why is 'belong before you believe' seen as being post-modern? Surely that was what characterised the great majority of Christians at least from the time of Constantine until the last century.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasta
Apprentice
# 5635

Enlightened modernity emphasised the power and supremacy of reason. You could be intellectually convinced that God was real or not. In the church it had its heyday in the evangelical preachers from 1850 to 1960. Even though it was tailing off in the 70's and 80's, the idea was still prevalent that we just had to get them to a talk by Billy Graham or a wannabe like Michael Green. Then they would believe and go on to belong.

Post modernity was the re-discovery of the supremacy of relationship, you were invited to hang out at some socials, get to know the believers, if they were authentic you would move from belonging to believing. Very much the pattern with church school selection. I went to church to meet girls, I was equally good at belonging before believing and with no better motives than Mr & Mrs Gimmie-a-school-place.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Tangent, but why is 'belong before you believe' seen as being post-modern? Surely that was what characterised the great majority of Christians at least from the time of Constantine until the last century.

I don't think it worked like that in the Bible, but from the point of view of a state church I suppose it makes sense to enculturate people with religious rituals rather than expecting them to arrive with ready-made evidence of a particular spiritual or intellectual state. After all, such churches don't normally go out to evangelise; they expect people to come to them.

I think the problem is that in the current situation the self-serving aspect is so blatant. We live in a solidly secular culture, and AFAIK there's little sense that these people are coming to church out of any curiosity about Christianity, or a desire to give their children an understanding of their religious heritage, or a vague notion that it might provide them with some spiritual benefit. It's simply about acquiring an educational and social advantage over other people.

But I suppose you could say that most of life is like that anyway; we all want to beat other people to that place at Oxford, to that great job, to that desirable marriage partner, etc., or to ensure that our children do. Since this is human nature perhaps it makes sense for the right churches in the right places to be realistic about it and possibly make a few converts by participating in the process.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Since this is human nature perhaps it makes sense for the right churches in the right places to be realistic about it and possibly make a few converts by participating in the process.

Let the little children come to me... so long as their parents come along too, are in good financial standing and fill out the correct forms.

Doesn't really have quite the same ring, does it?

On one level a church school is an enterprise that needs some form of running like any enterprise. But it seems to me there's a fairly fundamental collision between values of status-seeking and business-running and values of doing good just because it's good.

And I don't think this is the only area where the collision occurs. Too often, churches act like they're in the conversion business. It's as if God set them sales targets. And so they don't do something just because it will help the community or is a service that needs providing, they'll do it because they see it as an opportunity to upsell people on becoming a church member.

Such behaviour is uncomfortably close to the more sneaky and underhand versions of what commercial businesses do. I'm sure we've all had a telemarketer say "would you like a free phone (or something)", and then if you say yes, they will then tell you that actually, to get the thing that you want you've got to also have other things.

If the church is offering to provide children with a high standard of education which reflects Christian values, then it should provide children with a high standard of education which reflects Christian values. It should not engage in bundling. It should not say "ah, well, if you want us to educate your children, the only way to get that is in a package with our regular Sunday attendance program".

[ 30. January 2015, 23:41: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Let the little children come to me... so long as their parents come along too, are in good financial standing and fill out the correct forms.

Doesn't really have quite the same ring, does it

Indeed! My comment was made with a certain sense of resignation about the whole thing. (But the parents don't exactly have to be in good financial standing, just not in the kind of poverty that goes along with chaotic lifestyles.)

quote:

If the church is offering to provide children with a high standard of education which reflects Christian values, then it should provide children with a high standard of education which reflects Christian values. It should not engage in bundling. It should not say "ah, well, if you want us to educate your children, the only way to get that is in a package with our regular Sunday attendance program".

Regular Sunday attendance is only required when a school is ridiculously popular. Most CofE schools aren't in that position, which, ironically, seems to be a good thing.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should add that my mother tried to get me into such a school when I was little, but she failed. But I was interested to discover recently that the CofE church I now attend signs in forms for parents who want to send their children to the very same school. I don't know what the rules were when I was of primary school age, but if my mother had raised me in the CofE rather than as a Methodist things might have been a bit different!

[Biased]

[ 31. January 2015, 00:30: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

squidgetsmum
Apprentice
# 17708

- Posted      Profile for squidgetsmum   Email squidgetsmum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Late to the party, but we've just had this moral debate as the Squidge will start school in September. Since he's been at church since he was in utero, and we're between two church schools, our choices seem pretty easy. However, we've actually chosen the school that doesn't prioritise church membership, figuring that we couldn't see why this should make a difference. I hope to hell he gets in, as it's a good school, but the admission policy was a definite part of our decision.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We tried to get our sons into the local CofE High school which gets outstanding results across the board. We had full Churchy points - as many as it's possible to get, plus a letter from our Minister etc etc. They didn't get in - we are Methodists so the CofE kids were way up the list.

My sons went to the local comp which had just failed its Ofsted. They were thrilled as al their friends went there too. It's in the worst ward in the country on all statistical counts.

My two both got 4 A* A levels (two being maths and further maths) They went on to University, Masters degrees and excellent jobs (Airline pilot and Nurse)

Both still say they much preferred the local comp. It taught them well with the added bonus of many life-skills lessons they would never have had at the highly selective school.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. We are in the process of secondary school application for Boy #1 at the moment - the school he's most likely to get allocated to has appalling results, but the issue that bothers me is that they don't offer triple science, and I consider double science (never mind, God help us, single award science) to be a mockery of the subject. I'd have no problem if they remedied that. Oh, and took IT seriously.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016