homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The meaning of life is love

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The meaning of life is love
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard this line somewhere recently. "The meaning of life is love."

I quite like it.

Thoughts?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God is love. God is love beyond what we can comprehend.

To my mind God is trying to lead us to love. Love for God. Love for our siblings, the children of God. Love for ourselves as a child of God.

Jesus called upon us to follow him. And Jesus then embarked upon a journey of what love is all about. Jesus refused the temptations offered to separate Himself from regular human beings by performing god like feats. Jesus used His love to comfort, to heal, to turn the values of the world upside down because those values of the world were all about separateness and advantage.

Love is not about being separate, but about recognizing that God is in all of us and that God can work through us.

In fact, for me salvation means finding that God loves me even when I don't love myself. When that happened there was indeed a new Heaven and a new Earth.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems a little loose to me, though I can see where it goes. I think much of Christian theology describes God as Love, so the sentiment should have good carriage round here.

XP. See what I mean?

[ 20. February 2015, 10:30: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julian of Norwich says that too: "Would you know your Lord's meaning in this? Learn it well. Love was his meaning. Who showed it you? Love. Why did he show you? For love"

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say 'not quite'. The meaning of life is to be loved and give love in return, thus, relationship. There's also survival of the fittest, but I have trouble marrying that with relationship.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

I quite like it.

Thoughts?

Luv iz da meaning of life - here we go [Smile]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln9qi4brLEo

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's ok if you want something simplistic, and are in a place in life where you have a sense of loving and being loved. Such as if you are happily married with beautiful children.

For the sake of applying the slogan to as many people as possible, you probably need to ensure your definition of “love” includes love of one's pet python, love of one's garden and of growing one's own food, and general community connectedness (“oh yes, we can ask Mavis to help out with this job noone else wants to do, she'll always lend a hand” - is Mavis loved? Or is she only showing love without much return? Is there meaning in her life?)

The trouble is, if you are at a point in life when you do not experience love and know of noone who wants your love, (for example a childless, divorced ,middle aged, unemployed person who has a distant relationship with siblings, and whose widowed mother just died) the corollary is “there is no love in my life, so my life is meaningless”. Cue suicidal thoughts as a response to a relationship breakdown or bereavement. Or immediately jumping from one dissolved dysfunctional “love” relationship to another.

“Meaning” is different for different people. Some 2nd world war concentration camp survivors had noone left to love, and for some of them, their “meaning” (at least in the short to medium term) was the establishment of a new homeland for their people. For others, it was the ability to reconnect with their scientific or artistic pursuits.

“The meaning of life is love” doesn't work for me, except maybe if it has a spiritual dimension added to it. Even if spiritualised, I suspect it would annoy me if I heard it in a sermon.

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love that LucyP.

And Tortuf.

Both.

Love is in Raqqa. Raqqa is in Love. Raqqa will be redeemed by Love. As Dame Julian said.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was taught that my purpose in life is to try to learn to love others the way that G-d loves them.

Which sometimes means putting up with them when they're being dolts while trying to help them be better.

And accepting that they might not love you back even if you've loved them (in the sense of doing what you truly think is in their best interest) to the best of your knowledge and ability.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loving others does meaning putting up with their silliness . And hoping other people put up with yours.
But loving your neighbour well I just saw a story on BBC site about a student who raised a goodly sum to help the homeless after a homeless man offered her help. Now that is an example to us all. Especially when the homeless , or just idle people are getting on my nerves
So we should all love each other Always.
blessings
[Smile] [Angel] [Votive]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I quite like it.

Thoughts?

I like Swedenborg's take (which may have something to do with why I'm Swedenborgian [Biased] ) because he is so big on love. He goes much further than saying that love is the meaning of life - he says that love is life, and not in a metaphoric or poetic sense, but in a very real and literal sense. In his theology, the essence of what we experience as life originates as love proceeding from God. Furthermore, he also rejects the idea that God creates from nothing and instead says that God's love is the essential energy from which everything is created. So he's not talking about something we feel or even something we're consciously aware of, he's talking about love as creative substance and as something that can manifest itself as various emotions, including what we normally call "love."

Makes perfect sense to me. [Big Grin]

[ 21. February 2015, 06:02: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my mind, the trouble with the heading is that many people will assume that that only particular kinds of love gives life meaning.

E.g., they'll probably think of romantic love, or family love. But what about people who don't possess these kinds of love? Does this make their lives meaningless? The notion of loving (relative) strangers is part of Christianity, but society in general is quite ambivalent about it; we admire great acts of public altruism or self-sacrifice, especially when they're dramatic one-off events, but otherwise we view them as somewhat eccentric or unnatural, and hardly equivalent to romantic and family attachments.

And people (e.g. 'cat ladies') who devote their lives to loving animals are often pitied because the love they have is seen as second best to a loving human relationship.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it. The meaning of life is love. But as others have said, we will all read into it our own interpretations, of what love is, of what meaning is, and whether it implies our receiving love rather than giving it.

So I like it as my interpretation is that the whole purpose of our existence is to share the love, given to us as a gift from God when we draw near to God, with everyone else.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all know when we're loved. What's to interpret? We all know it when we see it. Read it. Hear it. Sing it. Feel it. Do it.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I quite like it.

Thoughts?

Experiencing it is not as easy as saying it.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016