homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Universal Mind?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Universal Mind?
Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone suggested to me the other day that what I call God is real, that there actually is an intelligence or consciousness that 'speaks to' people, guides them etc but that rather than being the Creator of the universe, this 'universal mind' is simply something that has evolved along with us.

That feels wrong to me but I'm unclear on what basis I can argue that the God I experience is the Creator and not just a product of evolution.

Does that make sense and does anyone have any thoughts?

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tyler Durden: That feels wrong to me but I'm unclear on what basis I can argue that the God I experience is the Creator and not just a product of evolution.
Well, the obvious basis you have for that is your faith. I'm not sure that you need anything beyond that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to keep an open mind to possibilities, and recall someone with a nde saying that they seemed to be in a place where all of the knowledge of the world was 'on tap'. But that knowledge wouldn't guide us, even though it might inform us if we could tap into it.

There is certainly a spiritual connection between people, I have too many times called someone at the precise moment that they were calling me, or had someone come to mind who was in trouble at that moment.

It is possible that all of this is true, that we have connections with each other and with God, and that all of the collective learning of people since the beginning is stored in an i-cloud not of our making.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lean towards the idea that everything's connected, everything affects everything else, and everything is (somehow) alive. I think it coordinates well with panentheism, which is the idea that everything is part of God--but God also transcends it.*

If you want to do a little reading, look up "Over-soul", "Akashic records", "panentheism", and "Indra's Net". Those approach the ideas of the OP from various perspectives.

The Wikipedia page on Indra's Net (link above) has some great quotes:

quote:
"Imagine a multidimensional spider's web in the early morning covered with dew drops. And every dew drop contains the reflection of all the other dew drops. And, in each reflected dew drop, the reflections of all the other dew drops in that reflection. And so ad infinitum. That is the Buddhist conception of the universe in an image." –Alan Watts
You might also check out scientist Rupert Sheldrake's work about connections. (Go to the navigation pane at the bottom of the page.) Also "The Tao Te Ching". (I strongly recommend the translation by Jane English and Gia-Fu Feng, with gorgeous black and white photos. The one I know is from 1972, but there seems to be a 2011 edition, too.)

*Frankly, at this point in my life, I'm just happy if God is good and loves us and tries to help us--even if She's a blue rubber frog bath toy! I.e., the fine theological details are less important to me.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pantheistic un-parsimonious nonsense.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin--

What, and in what way?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP. That stuff is sapient apart from the bits in our heads.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come across ideas like this, but more in Eastern religions. It is also usually linked to non-dualism, i.e. the death of ego, leading to the experience of One.

But then, it is impossible to judge these things from the point of view of ego, which is by definition, a separate viewpoint.

There is a whole range of imagery used to describe it, such as part/whole, or the hologram (which contains the whole), or I suppose, Blake's grain of sand.

Obviously, some Christians have expressed an interest in such ideas, maybe Thomas Merton? Also, de Caussade, Simone Weil, Meister Eckhart, and Angelus Silesius, ('God is not This nor That-do Thou leave Somethings utterly aside').

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah, we can all get a bit spacey.

--------------------
Love wins

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
Someone suggested to me the other day that what I call God is real, that there actually is an intelligence or consciousness that 'speaks to' people, guides them etc but that rather than being the Creator of the universe, this 'universal mind' is simply something that has evolved along with us.

That feels wrong to me but I'm unclear on what basis I can argue that the God I experience is the Creator and not just a product of evolution.

Does that make sense and does anyone have any thoughts?

I think it's important to decide what you believe for yourself. And if something doesn't feel right, to my way of thinking, that's a pretty good indicator that it probably isn't right. If people want to argue, my personal experience is that the logical arguments are no substitute for experienced personal truth. And my opinion is that - if someone thinks that they can encompass God and prove Him or dismiss Him with a tiddlly bit of Aristotlean logic, they're probably not a reliable source of information.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:

I suggest 2000 years of Christian apologetics, and I especially recommend C.S. Lewis' work. Though of course our perception of God is not always the same as God's reality.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I suggest 2000 years of Christian apologetics, and I especially recommend C.S. Lewis' work. Though of course our perception of God is not always the same as God's reality.

How do you know, or define, or work out, god's 'reality'?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean by "reality", SusanDoris? (That's a huge question in philosophy.)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
What do you mean by "reality", SusanDoris? (That's a huge question in philosophy.)

What do you mean by "huge", Honest Ron Bacardi?

I think you may have misunderstand why SusanDoris used the word reality. Some of us always find it interesting to hear what people imagine to be "God's reality".

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

How do you know, or define, or work out, god's 'reality'?
I totally forgot about this thread. [Hot and Hormonal]

That said, I'm not sure what you're asking, as it seems to me to be, well, almost a restatement of what I said. [Confused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:

What do you mean by "huge", Honest Ron Bacardi?

I think you may have misunderstand why SusanDoris used the word reality. Some of us always find it interesting to hear what people imagine to be "God's reality".

What do I mean by huge? Substantial, significantly large - something like that I guess.

A misunderstanding over meaning in any exchange is always possible. The average theist will usually locate God as the source of meaning, existence and thereby reality. My understanding is that SusanDoris is not a theist, so I asked the question out of interest, to see how she would make such a determination.

At an everyday level, nobody needs to trouble themselves unduly about reality. That's a rather mundane starting point, but I'm taking it that here we are discussing reality in the domain of the non-material. Unless you are a thorough-going logical positivist, then that's a POV worth enquiring after. Really more for an exchange of views than for a debate - that would probably be better on another thread.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

......... At an everyday level, nobody needs to trouble themselves unduly about reality. That's a rather mundane starting point, but I'm taking it that here we are discussing reality in the domain of the non-material. Unless you are a thorough-going logical positivist, then that's a POV worth enquiring after. Really more for an exchange of views than for a debate - that would probably be better on another thread.

Not being knowledgeable about the terminology I looked up logical positivist - not sure I'm quite there.

Should such a thread exist I think I'd have to start by asking what you meant by the domain of the non-material. I suspect, perhaps wrongly, that I might then ask if you could demonstrate that what you meant exists, if it impacts upon the non non-material[material?] domain and if so how that impact can be detected/measured.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logical positivism - that Thought/Mind (with a capital T/M) is primary and the material world is secondary has been formulated into Quantum Mechanics by Amit Goswami. It carries a lot of implications - one of which being that that we are co-creators and what WE think/allow ourselves to put our minds on determines the nature of the world. Well - how we think about/interpret things certainly determines how they affect us as individuals, even if you're not a logical positivist. e.g. the matter of death - if we spirits on a physical journey, then death isn't so bad - in fact, it is a going home, that should be celebrated.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
Logical positivism - that Thought/Mind (with a capital T/M) is primary and the material world is secondary has been formulated into Quantum Mechanics by Amit Goswami.

That's not like any definition of logical positivism I've ever heard.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yo Tyler Durden. If your Universal Mind evolved with us, it ain't the creator of the universe. Strikes me as a bit of a conceit to tie the evolution of this Mind with our own evolution. If there is such a person it could pre-exist humanity by the odd billion of years, or have come into existence sometime after Homo sapiens. And what did it evolve from? If its immaterial, what makes us think it evolved from matter?

On the face of it, this idea seems to generate more problems than it solves.

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
Logical positivism - that Thought/Mind (with a capital T/M) is primary and the material world is secondary has been formulated into Quantum Mechanics by Amit Goswami.

That's not like any definition of logical positivism I've ever heard.
[Hot and Hormonal] just shows how long it is since I read this stuff - Sorry - Gowami talks about Monistic Idealism

quote:
Monistic idealism holds that consciousness, not matter, is the ground of all being. It is monist because it holds that there is only one type of thing in the universe and idealist because it holds that one thing to be consciousness.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016