homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Safe from Kidnapping Redux (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Safe from Kidnapping Redux
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having looked for (and failed to find) the other thread, I thought I would start again...

Rather like my diet. I lost 56 lbs with Weight Watchers eighteen months ago, but a broken ankle, continuing issues related to that and general sloth have seen me regain 30 lbs...which needs to come off as I decluttered most of my "fat" clothes and as a consequence, have nothing to wear although my drawers and cupboards are full.

Anyone else?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have given up chocolate for January. So far so good.

I have a stone to lose and am still working hard at it.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to have spent my entire adult life needing to lose 30 pounds. Having lost it, I soon find myself needing to lose it again. That's where I am at the moment. Atkins Diet, here I come (again!).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have given up chocolate for January. So far so good.

I have a stone to lose and am still working hard at it.

[Smile]

I read that 3 seconds after I put a bourbon biscuit in my mouth.

I am not doing as well as you.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... Atkins Diet, here I come (again!).

I rather envy people who can get on with the Atkins diet - I tried it but found that while I loved the steaks, duck in cream and red-wine sauce (drool) and so forth, I really missed the potatoes to mop the sauce up with, and ended up getting nowhere.

All that happened was that D. put on weight, which wasn't the desired outcome ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I rather envy people who can get on with the Atkins diet - I tried it but found that while I loved the steaks, duck in cream and red-wine sauce (drool) and so forth, I really missed the potatoes to mop the sauce up with.

Well, that's the problem. I love the bacon and eggs for breakfast, but what are eggs without a slice of toast to soak up the yolk? I rationalize by telling myself that toast is only 12 grams of carbohydrates, but when you're limited to 15 grams per day, that's pretty much that.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My doctor has denounced me as pre-diabetic, which means I =must= lose weight. By titanic effort I was able to keep from gaining more than two pounds over the holidays, ordinarily a very bad time indeed. If I can lose ten pounds I should be in good train to avoid major medical intervention.
My plan is to work through all the holiday cookies and chocolates. Otherwise they will be wasted! But I will not buy any more. Instead I will switch to nuts and berries. And it's salad for lunch, from now until spring.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've managed to loose a stone on the 5:2 diet over the last thirteen months. It's been a bit up and down as I've given myself a break every few weeks, but certainly the easist and most successful diet I've done.

I've put on three pounds over the holidays, but hope those come off quickly now I'm back on the diet.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back on the 5:2 as well, after a break. I also find it the easiest diet to do, and that the extreme calorie counting on 2 days makes me more aware of what I eat on the others.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided I'm more worried about my fitness and general health than my weight per se, but my weight is impacting negatively on both.

So my New Year's resolution is to lose weight, and to give me a focus I posted my weight (16 stone 5lb) on FB on 31st Dec and resolved to post it on the last day of each month in 2015.

My main aim is to enjoy the process. So far I've enjoyed four good walks (yesterday's was up a hill with glorious views from the top) and tried two new exercise classes.

I haven't counted calories at all, yet, but have been trying to aim for positive food choices and to think about what I'm eating.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
My plan is to work through all the holiday cookies and chocolates. Otherwise they will be wasted! But I will not buy any more. Instead I will switch to nuts and berries. And it's salad for lunch, from now until spring.

Depends on your definition of 'waist-ed', Brenda! [Killing me]

I have given myself a target of losing 12 pounds in 12 months, which should be achievable. Sadly this would appear to be the same 12 pounds I have been trying to shift unsuccessfully all my adult life [Devil]

Still, I always think dieting (though that isn't a word I like to use) is a bit like the Christian life - there is always a new day, a new beginning, so we should never give up [Smile]

(wow, does that sound pretentious or what?!)

Mrs. S - salad for lunch since about 1995

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
So my New Year's resolution is to lose weight, and to give me a focus I posted my weight (16 stone 5lb) on FB on 31st Dec and resolved to post it on the last day of each month in 2015.

My main aim is to enjoy the process. So far I've enjoyed four good walks (yesterday's was up a hill with glorious views from the top) and tried two new exercise classes.

Sorry for the double post, but that's very brave, NEQ (sounds like 'Yes, Minister' - 'a bold decision, Minister'. Also sounds like a good approach, to enjoy what you have to do to lose the weight.

Good luck to all of us [Overused]

Mrs. S, pudgy but unbowed

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of the reasons I put on weight over the holidays was lack of exercise. Yes I did eat more than I usually do, but not the sort of pig-outs I remember from my earlier years. However I wasn't commuting, did lots of travelling by car and wasn't running up and down stairs which I seem to do a lot off when I'm at work.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last holidays I gained weight because I visited my family, who are all California food fiends. This year we visited my sister-in-law, who is pursuing a Paleo diet. Necessarily, we ate a great deal less, and this was good.
Today I weighed 1 lb. less than yesterday. This surely is not significant. I do not want to become like Bridget Jones, recording miniscule weight fluctuations.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife and I have both resolved to lose weight by Summer, though only a modest amount. Based on what an acquaintance did years ago, we are plotting weight vs. time on a sheet of graph paper, with a straight line drawn between our current weight and our target at the end of the period. As long as we are below the line we can eat anything we want, but when we are over it we have to eat fewer calories (the details of which we haven't worked out yet.)

As a result, we can eat whatever we want as long as we are keeping on target. The weight loss becomes the focus, allowing more flexibility in diet, exercise, etc. we use to achieve it.

Of course I haven't weighed myself since I started...

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we are restarting 5:2 - I don,t follow it religiously (I probably consume more like 700 calories on fast days) but it certainly helps. But we find our tastes haven't changed: chocolate, bikkies etc are still too popular, and salads, veggies,fruit less so!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I signed up for Weight Watchers online in mid-November with the intention of maintaining my weight through the holidays and beginning real weight loss this month. I ended up losing 2 pounds by New Year's, which surprised me. I will find out Monday if the first week of actually trying is working.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if am relieved or frustrated to have put on 1.5kilos over the holidays. Probably, like Sarasa, it was the lack of exercise as I did an awful lot less than my normal daily life entails - family are a lot more dependent on their cars and things like that.

I've been monitoring my intake/output somewhat sporadically using Fitday for the past couple of months, and there is a general downward trend that I am trying to maintain. It is frustrating to be almost back at the weight I was back in 2010. This may mark the fact that for the past three years I have been living with a woman who can walk past an open packet of biscuits for weeks. I have no such self-control. So I am aiming for a slow descent to 80kilos and to see how I go after that. At my lightest I was 72kilos but that was a bit low for me to be comfortable. I hovered around 77kilos for quite a while and that seemed more like a size and shape I like to be.

I rather enjoyed being a little lighter - it made my major hobby (Scottish Country Dancing) more enjoyable and life that little bit easier. I now have a very short walking commute and since buying a car use my bicycle much less. Said bicycle has also got rather knackered, so the incentive to ride it anywhere is lessened. One of my goals for the summer is to have a new bicycle to use for more routine journeys.

And at the end of last summer my girlfriend and I started taking advantage of the subsidised gym membership that our employer offers. It's brilliant. I never thought I could get along with going to the gym, but I find myself enjoying it and wanting to go. We are aiming for a typical week involving...
  • Monday evening - I have a pilates class, beloved goes for a swim
  • Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday mornings - walk to gym, gym before work, I bus to work
  • Wednesday, Thursday evenings - dance classes
  • Friday evening - I pick beloved up from work, we gym before tea
  • Saturday morning - gym before lunch

In the warmer months last year we managed to get to and from Friday and Saturday's gymming on our tandem so we should get it serviced before the weather warms up again. Here goes!

[ETA - correct attribution]

[ 12. January 2015, 09:49: Message edited by: To The Pain ]

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I lost 2 1/2 stone, and got down to a size and shape I was very happy with. Then the summer holidays came along, I stopped running, never quite started again in September, and have gradually fallen back into old habits. Two stone have returned. Time to serve them with an eviction notice, as later this year I have the most fantastic short break booked, at which I will want to be able to dress up for dinner properly - and my nicest dresses are a size or two down from where I currently am. So I'm now trying to summon up the willpower to eat sensibly, and pick up the running again... The running's the easy bit, comparatively, which says something about my love of food! *sigh*

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

And now I have another incentive to lose that 12 lb - we've just booked a fortnight's sailing holiday in Greece at the end of August [Yipee]

We're going with friends and I do not want to look like the fat girl with the thin friend [Help]

Now if I can only finish up this Christmas cake and lebkuchen I can get started...

Mrs. S, doubtfully eyeing her bathing cossie

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with living in what is basically a guesthouse is that there are always snacks lying about...

I got up to 80 kilos and started doing long walks morning and evening and I was doing well then Pete arrived and he and I walk twice a day but not far as the wheelchair is quite slow and it is tough to get myself out again after dark for more vigorous exercise.

Must be strong. Must avoid the snacks.

But...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had some sort of tummy bug / gastric flu thing which has shifted several pounds in the last four days, though presumably it's temporary and will go back up once I'm eating normally again.

I do not recommend this method of weight loss.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

It's impossible for me to do anything until the weekend, as my birthday is coming up (my 70th -- a milestone!). But after that, Lent will begin early for me this year. I'm determined to lose a meaningful amount (I won't say how much lest I risk disappointment) before Easter.

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did 5:2 for six months last year and I lost 4.5 kilos (I don't do pounds) but put it all back on in the subsequent 6 months due to stress etc. So here we are starting again - we know this works we just need to keep at it.
it is most successful when we use the yummy recipes in 'The Fast Diet Recipe Book' by Mimi Spencer. i.e. Vietnamese Sea Bass or Balsamic Glazed vegetables. But it is also a good idea to have weekly menus and shopping lists. We are on a 4 week rotation with weekend specials (including restaurants) and some veggie options. Somehow this all works really well in Winter but not summer. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 50 now, and I've always been thin, but as soon as I hit my 40s I really started packing on the pounds. I got up to something horrendous, like 115 kg or something, but I hadn't even noticed!
Anyway, moving to another continent was enough of a jolt to halt the increase, even reverse it a bit, but I was still overweight. I've moved again (same continent, though), and I have been counting calories on and off for the past couple of years. I'm 'off again' with the calorie counting since before Xmas, but I'm happy to report that the weight is staying off. At 184 cm I am weighing in at 90kg. Like most fat people I have Very Big Bones, so I weigh heavier than I look.
I'd like to weigh 84kg because someone told me that your weight in kilos should match the the last two digits of your centimeter height. I scoff at the BMI calculation, but I kind of like the easy symmetry of the height / weight numbers.
The best thing I did, was to stop buying cartons of fruit and vegetable juice. I never really liked sodas all that much, but I've replaced the fruit drinks with sparkling mineral water and nice cordials (like barley water and stuff). I usually just drink plain hot tea in restaurants to make up for the extra calories that come with commercially prepared dishes.
I like what other people are saying about it being about health rather than weight, but I find the better I feel about myself, the more I want to jump on the scale for confirmation. Surprisingly, I'm sometimes disappointed to be feeling good, but be weighing in at more than I expected.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Well, last night was the last of my birthday celebrations, so today (in theory at least) is the first day of Lent. Except that I've got cake and ice cream left over, not to mention wine.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many happy returns, ABR! [Yipee]

You've got another three weeks before Lent ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Tomorrow is my neighbor across the way's birthday. I can give her and her husband each a slice of the cake and that will finish it. But I admit that I will finish the ice cream myself. Then Lent.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that last couple of weeks we have nearly managed to meet the plan, with a few lapses regarding the alarm clock. Making those up with weekend ceilidhs has seen me drop a kilo though, so I'm happy with that - especially as last week included two meals out, one of which was a fish supper. I'll leave it a few days after this weekend's two Burns' Suppers before I check again!

Work has been stressful lately for everyone in our house, so the gym sessions help to burn off some of the frustration. The trick then is to be good about the food we eat too.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I went to a biometric screening in early December, and got the result that I am prediabetic. I panicked, and immediately began cutting food items. As advised however I went to my doctor for a more definitive test. And it turns out I am not prediabetic! But I am still a little plump. Perhaps it will do me no harm to give up cake and cookies.

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably the fattest person on this thread, I weighed in at about 19stone at the end of November last year. Then I got pancreatitis, in hospital for a week and put on a low fat diet by the doctor as he was worried it was caused by gallstones. I now weigh 17 stone [Yipee]
I really would not recommend pancreatitis as a weight loss method (far too bloody painfull) but the really low fat diet is wonderful. I'm hoping to lose another couple of stone before summer so will be encouraged by this thread.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I went to a biometric screening in early December, and got the result that I am prediabetic. I panicked, and immediately began cutting food items. As advised however I went to my doctor for a more definitive test. And it turns out I am not prediabetic! But I am still a little plump. Perhaps it will do me no harm to give up cake and cookies.

I am not a medical professional, merely someone who didn't listen or totally understand when my then doctor said I was pre-diabetic. I realise this is probably a bit hypocritical of me, but if you could be heading that way in the future please do all you can now to head it off. As you probably know it can have very nasty complications and the medication is foul.

I wish I understood then what I know now.

Huia - the not very bright.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all!

Last summer I lost 37 lbs, and my goal this winter has been to just (please!) not gain it back. I tend towards a much more slothful living during the stormy season.

During the holidays my jeans got a little (aka very) tight, so I'm force-feeding myself fruit and veg, which fills me up before I can inhale entire cakes. It helps.

I've also started up on IF (it's a slightly different take on 5:2) and the jeans are slowly releasing their death grip, so I think I'm doing okay. If I can actually START the summer where my last ended, I'll be the winner!

I'd like to drop at least another 3 jeans sizes and firm up my ginormous butt, but that's long term. This winter: just no lost ground!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That really is an amazing weight loss, comet.

I've lost about 6-7 pounds over the last month so I'm pleased with that. I've found the one of my fast days makes up for any weekend excesses whereas the second day of fasting loses me a pound in weight so I expect a steady loss of 1 pound a week. But I'm hoping that by increasing my exercise I can lose another pound a week so I'm now wearing a pedometer and going for regular walks to do my 8000 steps a day alongside my yoga practice. My lifestyle is generally sedentary as I work from home and can't do any impact exercise due to arthritis but I do like walking as I don't drive anyway.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Ugh,

Nasty cold for Beloved and general laziness has lead to a gain last week.

The BBC tells me that I am predominantly a Constant Craver, with a fair amount of Feaster thrown in for good measure. Apparently this means that I should try the whole intermittent fasting/5:2/calorie cycling thing, focussing on high-protein, low-GI foods. I'm just curious about the practicalities - how do shippies that use these tactics decide what will be a good fast day or deal with sharing mealtimes with someone who is slender and has the self-control to leave a mouthful or two on their plate if they've had enough?

Beloved also requires a certain amount of stodge, which I was largely avoiding when I previously lost weight. Hmm, perhaps I have just answered my own question - when there is rice/pasta/potatoes on offer I should pass or only have a very small serving. I don't know how Beloved will feel about being solely responsible for consuming the potatoes in our fortnightly veg delivery, but I think it's understood that I am not happy about my recent gains.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I have a husband with a healthy appetite and two growing boys and was keen that my fasting didn't disrupt family mealtimes. On fast days I make a dish like curry or casserole with plenty of protein and veg and serve mine without an accompanying carb. I don't eat any carbs on fast days at all.
I have found fasting has helped me realise that I don't need to snack. When I first started fasting I had 2 meals (protein and salad for lunch, main meal in the evening) but now I fast all day until the evening meal without any temptation.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

I've also started up on IF (it's a slightly different take on 5:2) and the jeans are slowly releasing their death grip, so I think I'm doing okay. If I can actually START the summer where my last ended, I'll be the winner!

Yay! [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To The Pain - 5:2 has only worked when we both do the Fast Day at the same time. The fast day needs to be in the week on a routine day, when there is no likelihood of having office meeting in a pub, and never consecutive days. That makes it Tuesday and Thursday for us. NEVER go food shopping on a fast day, especially if you are prone to grazing. Also don't watch food programmes on TV. We are usually better at this when we have stuff to do in the evenings - which is the worst part of the fast day.
But I think I lost weight because of the effect that planning what we eat means that you also cut down on fatty foods on the other days too. Give it a go - see my previous post for a really good book with tasty food.
Until this diet came along I hated the idea of dieting because the books always seemed to be written by people who didn't like food.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was the 5:2 fast that got me into calorie counting. My mum told me about it, and I thought I'd give it a go as I was overweight and I don't like 'dieting'.
700 calories was killing me (especially in the evenings), and on my fast days I'd dream of what I could do with 1800 cals (my required intake at that time for weight loss for someone my height and weight). So I quit the 5:2 and restricted myself to 1800 cals a day, but I averaged it out over a week, so if I had a restaurant meal one day in the week I could easily balance it out the next day - or the day before - at home. I developed a routine of eating fewer calories Mon-Thu, then on the weekends in the big city I could use up my 'reserve' on treats. I did it on and off, but mostly 'on' for a few years. I have stopped calorie counting since Sept/Oct last year,
but it's working out OK because I have more or less dropped the habit of overeating for the 'numm' (I still eat things because they're delicious - but not so much) and I have, obviously, developed much more awareness of food values. One item that I have completely dropped from my grocery shopping is commercial fruit and vegetable drinks - and that has made a HUGE difference to my calorie intake for very little sacrifice.
The 5:2 is definitely a great way to (a) lose weight and (b) develop food awareness.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
To The Pain - 5:2 has only worked when we both do the Fast Day at the same time. The fast day needs to be in the week on a routine day, when there is no likelihood of having office meeting in a pub, and never consecutive days. That makes it Tuesday and Thursday for us. NEVER go food shopping on a fast day, especially if you are prone to grazing. Also don't watch food programmes on TV. We are usually better at this when we have stuff to do in the evenings - which is the worst part of the fast day.
But I think I lost weight because of the effect that planning what we eat means that you also cut down on fatty foods on the other days too. Give it a go - see my previous post for a really good book with tasty food.
Until this diet came along I hated the idea of dieting because the books always seemed to be written by people who didn't like food.

Thanks geroff, that's really useful experience. I'm on my first fast day today and I think it will work out OK - Wednesdays are generally a day when we have very little time in the house so I'm planning to pick up one of those Innocent veg pots or a generic equivalent to eat just before my dance class. A hot cross bun for breakfast might not have been the best idea, but I'm doing OK so far and will fill up on peppermint tea this lunchtime.

Picking a second day might be trickier, but if I can have a huge plate of vegetables while Beloved adds carbs then perhaps a Monday could work, that's another day when I have an evening activity.

How does everyone find physical activity on fast days? I mostly teach the Wednesday dance class so it isn't as intense as it would be if I was attending, and my Monday activity is a Pilates class so doesn't get me out of puff but is a good workout. If I have had something to eat in the hour or two preceding these, am I likely to find myself feeling light-headed?

I have been insufficiently motivated to get up for morning gymming lately. Should do that tomorrow as it's the last real chance for the week.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I do a rather active 90 min Iyengar yoga session on one of my fast days having only consumed a skinny latte but as I do not breakfast normally I would do that even on a non-fast day. My mobility issues mean I don't do any impact exercise but I go for hour long walks on fast days and so on.
I never feel faint on fast days and I don't eat all until the evening meal. The only time I have ever felt faint was once on the day after a fast when I rushed out into the snow for the school run without even a coffee and hit a freezing cold temperature. The shock of that on my system made me realise I needed to eat.

[ 11. February 2015, 13:18: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I saw a display of very low calorie "pasta" in a health food shop yesterday. It's made of juroat, a mixture of konjac flour and oat fibre.

I thought I'd google, but google is just giving me dozens of sites selling the stuff.

Anyone tried it? I have a feeling that if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wandering around town this morning it occurred to me that the secret of weight-loss is getting Himself and Herself to cook really boring, uninteresting, tasteless food - but decided that it is probably a step too far!

[edited to add a few words so that it made a semblance of sense]

[ 12. February 2015, 07:01: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - you might be better using a julienne peeler or a spiralizer and making "pasta" from courgettes or carrots. All the rage down here at the mo, and dare I say it, nay bad.

[ 12. February 2015, 10:45: Message edited by: Kittyville ]

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I saw a display of very low calorie "pasta" in a health food shop yesterday. It's made of juroat, a mixture of konjac flour and oat fibre.

I thought I'd google, but google is just giving me dozens of sites selling the stuff.

Anyone tried it? I have a feeling that if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

"Juroat" appears to be subject to a trademark in some jurisdictions. It appears to be owned by a firm in the Seychelles (but IANAL, still less an IP lawyer).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
NEQ - you might be better using a julienne peeler or a spiralizer and making "pasta" from courgettes or carrots. All the rage down here at the mo, and dare I say it, nay bad.

I have a spiralizer and it makes great courgette spaghetti. I will be having some today as we are having fish noodle soup for dinner, it makes a great substitute for noodles for me on fast days.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I think we call courgettes zucchini over here.

I wouldn't use a spiralizer on carrots -- they're high glycemic, unlike zucchini.

There was a pasta on the market at one time that advertised itself as low glycemic, that its carbs were somehow "locked in a matrix" and unavailable for digestion. Subsequent studies revealed that it had just as many carbs as the regular stuff, and that they were just as readily available for digestion, matrix or not.

The package labeling was changed without fanfare after that, but I haven't seen that particular brand in the stores for awhile now.

[ 12. February 2015, 12:46: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I had my eight-weekly fitness test today and I am pleased.

I have lost an inch each off chest, waist and hips. I have lost a pound in weight and my resting heart rate has gone down from 90 to 70.

Getting there!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Well, fast days I and II went pretty well. As a non-ship friend who does 5:2 noted, you can eat a lot of vegetables for 500kcal. I was pretty ravenous on my post-fast days and yesterday had to have a wee sit down and a glass of apple juice while making the breakfast, so I'm being cautious (and lazy) and not doing morning gymming until I get used to things.

Fasting again today, but have decided that I'm taking up pancakes for Lent. Feeling a bit contrary.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After rather badly injuring my legs at Greenbelt last year, my walking fell off and the pounds went on. This year, I've cut down the snacks so I only munch on celery at my desk. I've also gone to just one dinner every other day instead of every day.

To no longer be overweight I needed to lose 18 pounds. Hit the 1/3rd mark this week.

So I'm celebrating by upping the snacks to raisins for this week.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016