homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cotswold shipmeet - evening 22nd April

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Cotswold shipmeet - evening 22nd April
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drallenwr and I have booked a week in the Cotswolds from 18th to 25th April, staying at Charlbury. Does anyone fancy a shipmeet?

[ 02. April 2015, 03:34: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that Celtic Knotweed and I could be easily persuaded. The 18th is off as I'm running an Amateur Photographer forum meet in Oxford, but otherwise for an evening meet?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly. My elderly relative (not in the Cotswolds) may have prior claims but I'll watch this space.

Charlbury is nice and picturesque, and the air is very clear: you'll notice that if you're used to town air. There isn't much to do in the town itself but it's a good base for exploring the surrounding area. Hurrah for the Cotswolds, the best part of England IMO. Do you have anywhere in particular as a must-see destination?

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't really thought of "must see" places, though I'd like to go to the model village at Bourton on the Water - I went there when I wsa quite a young child, and I would imagine it's disabled friendly. Can you suggest anywhere as a possible meeting place? An evening meal would be nice if people can't make a day.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been to Charlbury for years, but I remember popping in to a charming old pub there for a glass of cider. All black and white timber beams, brasses, log fires, that sort of thing. It may well have been the Bull Inn.
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I haven't been to Charlbury for years, but I remember popping in to a charming old pub there for a glass of cider. All black and white timber beams, brasses, log fires, that sort of thing. It may well have been the Bull Inn.

Yes, well,,hate to be the bearer of bad news and all that but see bottom of this page

http://www.charlbury.info/news/1497

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only sort of "must see" on my list is a rather odd one. Something like 40 years ago I sung in a concert organised by a Mr and Mrs Trevor Bigg in aid of their Organ Restoration fund at the parish church in Westcote. I note from the parish website that the current Churchwarden in Westcote is one Trevor Bigg. It seems to be stretching co-incidence just a bit too far, so I want to go there for their Sunday morning service if we can manage it - just to see what happened.

The 'organ' was a hand-pumped instrument (I can certainly bear witness to that - I pumped it!) and was in definite need of restoration. I shall be very interested to find out whether they succeeded or whether they succumbed to the temptation to buy an electronic equivalent.

E.T.A. It is probably a good idea to confess that it is only my idea to go to Westcote, rather than claiming it is on 'our' must-see list.

[ 17. February 2015, 19:42: Message edited by: Darllenwr ]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Yes, well, hate to be the bearer of bad news and all that but see bottom of this page

I note there have been about 145+ objections to the planning application, all along the lines of what a shame it would be to lose this wonderful pub, including objections from the local conservation society. It'll be interesting to see how that works out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running in April.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Yes, well, hate to be the bearer of bad news and all that but see bottom of this page

I note there have been about 145+ objections to the planning application, all along the lines of what a shame it would be to lose this wonderful pub, including objections from the local conservation society. It'll be interesting to see how that works out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running in April.
I can't help thinking that if all 145 objectors used the pub it would be doing a roaring trade.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I hope so, but I'm still mourning the Crown in Finstock, and keeping my fingers crossed every six months for the Fox in Westcote Barton and the Tite Inn in Chadlington, as they lurch from crazy brewery/owner decision to crazy brewery/owner decision. Losing the Bull really wouldn't surprise me.

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Looks like there's definitely going to be a Hereford shipmeet - will there be a Cotswold shipmeet too?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

"bump"

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Knotweed and I are still watching...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I shan't be able to say until pretty much the last minute, sorry. My elderly mother is in line for two medical tests to be done which are likely to happen, I'd imagine, in April. I need to be available for both. But like Sandemaniac and the Knotweed, I am watching.

[ 17. March 2015, 17:54: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
The Knotweed and I are still watching...

As am I, depending on dates.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Our holiday is 18-25th April. It would be great to meet for dinner or at a venue - the only issue is that Darllenwr is diabetic and needs to eat by about 6.30, and I have mobility problems and can't manage steps.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in the area and would be up for an evening meal.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Can we have suggestions as to where we could meet for an evening meal? (Or a daytime venue if anyone would like). It's an area we really don't know - we went to the wedding of a friend's son and thought that we would like to explore.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Turnpike at Yarnton? it's on the A44 just outside Oxford, on the Woodstock Road.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be a bit of a schlep but what about the Harcourt Arms in Stanton Harcourt? I was there just before Christmas and it was lovely.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

The Turnpike would suit the Knotweed and I but, to be honest, anywhere will do us.

AG

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

The Turnpike sounds good - which evening?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We're meeting Jacobsen on Wednesday 22nd April at the Turnpike at about 6pm. Anyone else like to join us? I will book a table. [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

You can add Celtic Knotweed and I to that list, please.

AG

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Looking forward to meeting you!

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly jealous! Have eaten a fair few meals at The Turnpike in the past as I used to live near there but sadly am currently on the wrong continent to join you!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Marvin? You awake? (Prods gently) what about it?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Midweek isn't really good for me, sorry.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

So it looks like I'll book a table for 5 - Jacobsen, Sandemaniac and Celtic Knotweed , Darllenwr and me. 6pm OK for everyone?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've modified the title for you just in case that attracts any others.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks, Wodders - much appreciated.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

So far we have Darllenwr and I, Jacobsen & 1, Sandemaniac and Celtic Knotweed. I'll book the table this week.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

A table has been booked for 6pm in the flat access section! Ariel, there's room for you if you can make it. Look forward to meeting everyone [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thank you! It looks as if I'll have to pass on this but I do hope you have a lovely time. And that you enjoy your stay in the Cotswolds.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

A great evening at the Turnpike Inn last night. I did enjoy meeting you all, and the food was good too! [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Agreed - a lovely evening, and a top choice of venue. Thank you all!

AG

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

It was great to meet the three of you and we had a lovely evening. Thyank you Jacobsen for suggesting the Turnpike - we liked it so much we went back on Thursday and Friday!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I will be collecting my percentage! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

You might well stand a good chance of collecting from the staff - as St G. said, we returned on the Thursday and Friday nights and were asked how we had come to know about The Turnpike. St G replied that you had recommended it ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Glad your evening went so well! Hope you also managed to see some interesting places in the Cotswolds during the day.
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

Thanks.

All the usual Tourist Hot Spots - Stow on the Wold, Chipping Norton, Bourton on the Water, Chipping Campden, Broadway, Snowshill, Cirencester, Bibury, Woodstock.

Woodstock was somewhat disturbing - a town without a heart (no grocer, no greengrocer ...) and Blenheim Palace simply greedy - £22.50 each admission.

Saying that Woodstock was disturbing also, sadly, applied to many of the places we visited - they have all become dormitory towns for, presumably, Oxford and London. It is sad, though no surprise, to see traditional life disintegrating in this fashion. I suppose Woodstock was disturbing because it was the first place of any size that we visited (Monday) and thus the impact of the missing facilities was significant. After Woodstock, it was less of a shock.

After the gutted towns, Cirencester was something of a relief, in that the town centre was (a) intact and (b) not simply a clone of every other town.

We are thinking about possibly holidaying rather further south in the Cotswolds next year, possibly somewhere between Cirencester and Stroud. Nothing decided yet, but we have already found a number of self-catering flats with the facilities we need. Watch this space!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's difficult to find some of the old traditional shops anywhere now, like butchers and fishmongers, and bakers generally seem to have been replaced by branches of Greggs, unless you happen to be in one of the smaller market towns where they still have independent shops. Though I see from the internet that Woodstock does have a Co-Op, bread shop and deli and there are farmers' markets. People are more mobile than they used to be, of course, and it isn't a million miles from the huge supermarket at Kidlington which has probably killed off some of the smaller shops.

I have wondered how people in Stow on the Wold manage as every second shop seems to be an antique shop, almost as if their weekly shopping list consists of "half a pound of sausages, three Chippendale chairs and a Lalique vase".

Blenheim Palace seems to get more expensive each year and frankly, less value for money. The grounds are nice but you can end up doing rather a lot of walking!

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:

Woodstock was somewhat disturbing - a town without a heart (no grocer, no greengrocer ...) and Blenheim Palace simply greedy - £22.50 each admission.

Saying that Woodstock was disturbing also, sadly, applied to many of the places we visited - they have all become dormitory towns for, presumably, Oxford and London. It is sad, though no surprise, to see traditional life disintegrating in this fashion. I suppose Woodstock was disturbing because it was the first place of any size that we visited (Monday) and thus the impact of the missing facilities was significant. After Woodstock, it was less of a shock.

As a resident of the locality...
Woodstock has quite a good Co-Op, a school, a number of pubs - it's not that bad. Try Oxford outside the centre in the daytime to see the extent to which it's a suburb of London these days....

Blenheim is £22.50, but that's for a year. I appreciate that may be steep for a one-off visit (although it compares pretty well with other major tourist attractions to be honest) but the number of people who pay that once a year and go back again and again is impressive. If you live here, why wouldn't you?

Different sorts of traditional life are alive and well round here - it's the centre of the hunting and shooting world, so if you want a saddle, or handmade riding boots, or a whip, or divers and sundry other obscure niche handcrafts, this is the place. It's just that people can default easily to the enormous Sainsburys in Kidlington; then transport makes people more choosy after that. If everyone knows, and goes, to the excellent butchers in Deddington, or Launton, then other village butchers will close, for example.

Way of the world I'm afraid.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

Only too true, I fear. I was told of Sainsbury's at Kidlington by the manager of Banbury Hill Farm (where we were saying). I should probably add that she is the daughter of the farm's owners.

She told me that there is a community shop in Charlbury - local residents have a share in the shop and are keen to ensure that it stays open, which is how it can continue to run at a loss.

As it happens, we didn't go into Oxford during the time we were at Charlbury - our intention had been to tour the Cotswolds, which is what we did.

I have to agree that £22.50 is not bad for a year - but it is a bit steep when you know perfectly well that you will not be returning within the twelvemonth. I guess that I am probably not the first driver to execute a swift U-turn on seeing the price list - the gate keeper didn't seem too surprised - I am sure he had seen it all before. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Blenheim is £22.50, but that's for a year. I appreciate that may be steep for a one-off visit (although it compares pretty well with other major tourist attractions to be honest) but the number of people who pay that once a year and go back again and again is impressive. If you live here, why wouldn't you?

The £22.50 entrance fee can be converted into an annual pass at no extra cost. I imagine the vast majority of visitors don't do this because they come from outside the area and aren't likely to revisit.

I did convert mine into an annual pass but I think I only used it once. Blenheim just isn't somewhere I find particularly appealing - too spread out and it never feels very welcoming, but I know some people do like it and are frequent visitors. The annual pass doesn't get you in free to the special events, though.

quote:
Different sorts of traditional life are alive and well round here - it's the centre of the hunting and shooting world, so if you want a saddle, or handmade riding boots, or a whip, or divers and sundry other obscure niche handcrafts, this is the place.
What I love about this part of the world is that I might be in a town, but literally five minutes in the car or a bit more on foot, and I'm out in country villages, with farms, fields and livestock, etc etc. I've sat in country pubs and listened to people having unpretentious conversations about breeding horses, or buying cattle, or going poaching, or pheasant shooting. I've seen the seasons through, and the land change with the weeks, and the farmers' markets, and little village fetes and so on. If you know where to look, the older countryside and its traditions are still there and alive underneath the influx of London-based weekenders.

Yes, a lot of Oxford workers do live outside Oxford. When a one-bed flat costs about £800 a month to rent, plus bills, you can't blame them; almost everyone I used to work with in my last job lived elsewhere in the county and travelled in.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

As I do, from Banbury. C.24 miles to my school. The identical house which I bought in Banbury cost exactly £100,000 more in East Oxford.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

To some extent, that's happening in our part of the world too. We live ablout 20 miles from Cardiff, and some of the Valleys villages are becoming dormitories for Cardiff. One of our friends living about a mile up the valley works in Hereford, someone who lived opposite us orked in Bristol.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016