homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hereford Meet (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hereford Meet
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the Various Islands in the Atlantic Thread, I got enthusiastic about the thought of a day out in Hereford, and others seemed to think a Shipmeet a good idea.

Because of w*rk and Sunday organist duties, I'd only be able to make a Saturday, unless it's in the week after Easter. I'm also not able to make Saturday 21st March.

Anyone else interested?

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We would be if it's a Saturday! (Darllenwr and I and possibly Lord Pontivillian)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturdays are usually good for me. though not over the next 2-3 weekends, and not sure of my plans over Easter.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturdays are good for me, too.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what people have said, 14th March, 28th March, 11th or 18th April seem possible in the next couple of months. 11th is the Saturday after Easter.

Any one got any preferences?

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i could do lunch on the 14th, but will be at the film festival from 14:30 onwards. I'm pretty sure I can do the 28th March. 11th April OK, but can't do 18th.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can't do the first Saturday of a month and we're away 18th to 25th April.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's starting to look like 11th April, isn't it? Which would be okay for me.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

11th April would be good for me. Shall we go for that, then? Meet for lunch?

I last visited Hereford about 24 years ago! So I've no clue where would be good to meet. Could someone who knows Hereford suggest somewhere.

Also, I'd be coming by train. Which may or may not be a factor..

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Litchfield Vaults - a really nice pub serving good food and Doom Bar on tap. Not the cheapest, but a lovely atmosphere and a great publican. It might be worth booking a table if we decide to go there as it gets quite full at lunchtime.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I'm OK with the Vaults; I'd also be quite keen on All Saints Cafe, but I don't think it's licensed. Both just over half a mile from the station, Japes.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I'm happy with either. They both look easy enough to find.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can this Arizonan add her endorsement of the Lichfield Vaults? I'm looking forward to eating there next summer when I'm in Hereford for the Three Choirs Festival. The owners of the Vaults have a son in the Hereford Cathedral choir -- or at least they did three years ago, he may have grown older. I wish I could join you all in April, and unfortunately when I'm there for the Festival there is no free time to get together for a Shipmeet.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. Hereford and area is somewhere I want to visit and when I looked there were cheaper train tickets (under £25 to return), so I booked. Unfortunately there were no spaces at Leominster YHA which is on my list of hostels I really, really want to stay in along with a number of others in that area, so it's a day return, which means I may get to the day and think better of this.

(Not sure this was the best thing to do with my tax refund but I've done some sensible things too.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Lichfield Vaults is also the only place I know locally that served Adnams Broadside beer - and I love Greek food.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

For those who don't know the Litchfield vaults - the publican lived in Cyprus? - or somewhere Greece way - and the menu is very simple but very interesting, basically Greek food or sandwiches. It used to do the best steak sandwich ever - really tender steak with caramelised onions and fried mushroome in two dorsteps of fresh bread. Unfortunately, their steak supplier put his prices up so that's no longer on offer [Frown] although a sausage sandwich is, and Lord P assures me that their ham sandwiches are very good. Darllenwr can vouch for the "Litchburger" and the carrot and coriander soup is very good. Lord P can also vouch for the Symonds cider.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Lunch at the Lichfield Vaults, afternoon tea at the All Saints Café?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may keep an eye on this. The last train back home from Hereford is ridiculously early, but if it's a lunchtime meet that wouldn't be a problem...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Sounds like a plan. Does anyone know if the exhibition of white dresses will still be on at Hereford Library?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I'll try to check the exhibition dates this weekend. as i expect you've discovered, the website is woefully out of date.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

If we can have numbers, then I will book a table at the Litchfield Vaults.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Put me down for one, please.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, so that's 4 so far. Anybody else?

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Yes, count me in.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I has tickets - so I'm coming

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Yes, me too.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

So, 7 so far

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We have a date, we have numbers (7 so far)and a venue for lunch (The Litchfield Vaults). What time would people like to eat? I can then sort out booking a table.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still a "maybe". Whether you want to book a seat for me on that basis is up to you [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I was thinking of asking for a table for 8-10.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I have a slight complication in that family promises to visit "at Easter" now appear to mean "shortly after Easter" - but still hoping to come at the moment.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

12.30? Or, if the place is likely to be busy, 12.00 noon?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

12 or 12.30 sounds good to me. What do others think?

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

12 or 12.30 sounds good to me, too.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Split the difference and say 12.15? Is that OK for everyone?

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Sounds good to me!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I have booked a table for 8- 10 people at the Vaulrs for 12.15. [Yipee]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

(bump)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My tickets get me in at 11:19am, so I should be fine for 12:15pm

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

(Bump)
It's this Saturday! Hoping the weather stays good and looking forward to meeting everyone at the Vaults.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Getting excited! Looking forwards to meeting people on Saturday.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

There's a table booked for 8-10, so it should be recognisable! I'm recognisable as I use a mobility scooter and also 2 sticks. Darllenwr, Lord P and I will try and be there a bit early.
At the moment, we're definitely us 3, Japes, Qlib, Eigon and Curiosity killed, with the possibility of Marvin joining us.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I may be on the Green Party stall in High Town until 12:15 ish. If I'm out canvassing, I may not get there till 12:30

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I'll try to pass by the Green Party stall on the way.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We'll look out for you!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Thank you, everyone, for a lovely day!

[Smile]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Yes, it was lovely to catch up with Qlib and to meet Eigon, Japes and Curiosity killed... for the first time. We haven't yet met shipmates we haven't liked!

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Good times. [Smile]

--------------------

Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was nice meeting new people. I enjoyed the day immensely.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It was brilliant meeting you all and a great day out.

I only just made it home in the wee small hours, catching the last tube, with announcements on every platform probably waking up dozy passengers after the long pause between the last two tubes.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016