homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shipborne Scientists (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipborne Scientists
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
It's unusual for someone to stay on as an RA for an extended period of time. And, without the PhD and a clear desire to climb the academic ladder to independent research (you don't actually need the desire, just the ability to bluff it) you'll very rapidly hit the top of the pay scale (probably grade 6 without the PhD), and be in the unpleasant situation of lots of younger people with very little experience earning significantly more. And, when you have mortgage to pay, family to support etc then the number on the pay slip does start to have some importance.

From what you've said, it would appear that you would be better off with a technicians job description rather than research and teaching. You would find it easier to rise up the salary grade, and wouldn't need the extra degree or start formulating original research ideas. A research technician, doing research level work in support of the academics in the group, the general go-to guy to get something done. Unfortunately, most universities don't employ enough technical staff, I don't have the experience to know whether industry or government labs are any better in that regard.

That's pretty much where this thread started, Alan. I have been an RA for a long time, hit the glass ceiling, been pushed down, and am heading up towards it again.

I have years worth of practical experience, have realised that it's doing practical things that give me job satisfaction, and I want to find somewhere where I can continue to use and expand my skills. If I have to take a pay cut to retrain - eg as a Biomedical scientist, currently looking the likeliest option - then I'll handle it somehow, but I'm not taking a pay cut to do the same old same old until that's the only option left.

dd - thank you for the PM, I'll give it my full attention over the weekend, as it looks to deserve it.

AG

[ 02. April 2015, 14:16: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Sandemaniac,

This may be wishful thinking, but have you looked into any routes to convert the research work you have done into a PhD, which might improve your position? I know of at least one person here (at a light blue Uni) who has done that in recent years, having started off as a very hands-on research assistant, and it has worked out very well for him. (Essentially he converted the papers he had worked on into a thesis). It may not be possible within the constraints of your job or department, I know, and you may already have checked on this, but I thought I would throw it into the mix, just in case.

Best wishes,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, following on from that, if the work you've already done can't be counted towards a PhD (eg: because it was too clearly in support of the research of other people to be counted as your own individual original research) could you see about negotiating to renew your contract to include elements that would qualify? That sort of path has been used several times where I am to allow technicians to earn an MSc by research, in theory it should be possible to do a PhD that way too. And, it doesn't need to take 3 years (after all, for most students the first year is spent learning how to use the equipment - and you'll be years ahead of them on that).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That assumes, though, that I want to continue to pursue an academic career path, and would also mean a contract in a different lab (it's taken two and a half years to get another PhD student in this one, and we're taking bets on how long they last), plus it just puts off the current question for a bit longer. Even if it took less than three years, I'd still be past 45.

Now if there was a way to make it do something in the real world in that time, you'd really have my ear.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A doctorate might open some doors in the contract research/consultancy field. But, yes it's mainly useful in academia.

And, 45 isn't a problem. Someone we've been working with for the last couple of years started his PhD here this week. At the age of 61.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss got her PhD when she was 49.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
*bends down, picks up gauntlet*

I have eighteen years of laboratory experience, largely gained in one of the world’s top universities. I have worked in bacteriology, in neuroscience, in immunology and cell signalling and currently in molecular biology applied to cardiovascular research, giving me a wide perspective. I want to apply that experience and my skills to solving problems with an impact in the real world, to produce, to create, something that will change lives, that people will enjoy, that people will use. I want to make a difference.

Give me the objective and I will drive towards it. I take on responsibility for what needs doing, and get it done. I do the dirty work as well as the clean. Having those goals and achieving them is what motivates me. I make things work and if I can’t, I will find out who can. I do the big things that the laboratory needs as well as the little things that make it work on a day-to-day basis. I sort out the little messes and the big muddles that get in the way of work for myself and for others....

Does your next role have to be bench-based? Because if you are willing to move to a more desk-based environment, I know of roles within the NHS that would probably be a good fit for your work ethic, motivations, and breadth of experience. A little additional experience/training might be required, but it would be of the sort that you could possibly sneak into your day job, or at least amass without too much burden in your free time between now and the end of your current role.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'd be interested to hear more, Hazey*Jane. A desk job is not on my list at the moment, but if something that really appealed came along... and if I can gain anything useful while I'm still working as well... feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply in public.

AG

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Done!
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Just avoiding the doom of broom...

Local area graduate careers fair today... Interested to see Mission Burrito represented, I guess "¿Le gustaría papas fritas con?" makes a change from "Would you like fries with that?".

AG

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016