homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Retirement (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Retirement
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In two weeks, I'm due to retire.

Now, the first thing to say is, I'm way too young - I'll be 53 on my retirement day. (That way, I reason, I should get two cakes.) But by a mixture of strange coincidences, sound financial management, and not having any dependents, from this point on I should have enough to live on.

The reasons I'm retiring are many, and I don't want to say too much about them here. But as many of you will know, I've never really been best chums with the CofE as an institution. The other main "negative" reason is that after 20 years in healthcare work, I don't think I have anything new or useful to give to it.

On the positive side, I'm going to be doing a lot more art work - my own painting, principally, but I also have a couple of volunteering ideas lined up.

It's exciting but also very scary. To be on my own with no structures around me - no-one to be responsible for, but also no-one to be responsible to - yikes!

So I thought I'd start a little support thread for people in the last days of work / first days of retirement. Let's swap hints, tips, gripes and encouragements.

At the moment, I admit, I'm about two thirds "Can't wait!" and one third "What the hell am I doing?!?!"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my.
I failed retirement.
Good luck with it.

That having been said:
  • Most people I talk to, who consider themselves successfully retired, claim that they have never been busier.
  • Most also say that they didn't plan to be busy.

And so advice.
  • Be prepared for things NOT happening like you expect
  • Enjoy the results and consider yourself successful
  • Keep your Rolodex just in case

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired at 55 (I'm 57 now) and I'm loving every minute.

The secret (imo) is to have something interesting and challenging to do, which absorbs you and keeps you busy.

I puppy walk for Guide Dogs - see the link to my blog, below. It's fascinating, challenging, time consuming and sociable.

Just right for me.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired 12 years ago this May at just a little older than you are now. I find it helps to have a structure - a framework into which you operate, if you will. What you will fill it up with is entirely your choice.

Mine is volunteering and travel. I also belong to a seniors' walking club. Any of these will have me out at least once a day.

God bless!

PS Don't forget to schedule in downtime. Mine are called pyjama days.

[ 18. April 2015, 16:27: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have retired at 60 but the goal posts were moved and my pensions will be available in 5 years time.
I do my best at work but the library service is to all intents and purposes being run down as we make no money for the council. So depressing.
Mr Bee retired early so it would be great to be more available to get out and about together.
Mr Bee's Dad died last month so we have a bungalow to sell. This might give me an out, we shall see.
Now retirement is a possibility it's a bit scary.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it took about a year to adjust to the new normal - even things like being out and about during the day (and to lose the vague feeling of What if they catch me, and send me back?)

Generally, I think the constraints of the working life can so alienate you from your natural rhythms and inclinations that it can take a while to discover them. And to find the structures - and you need some - that are really useful.

I've made a lot of use of the adult education classes available: some have been disappointing - crèches for the over-60s, or so nebulous in content as to not deliver any real learning. And it is important, I've decided, that you do something which actually pushes you.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't rush to take on lots of voluntary work.

Those of us who worked in a 'vocation' became so identified with uor work that we forgot who we were when not in role - so stay out of roles - it will make you feel restless but it's worth a slight discomfort of something new is to grow.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Generally, I think the constraints of the working life can so alienate you from your natural rhythms and inclinations that it can take a while to discover them. And to find the structures - and you need some - that are really useful.

I find this on longer holidays - they can be very disconcerting after a while as you start to wonder what on earth to do with all this spare time, or even what you actually like doing.

When life is bound up with deadlines, meetings, being on time for this, that or the other, commuting, etc, life at a desk job can give you the illusion that you know what to do with your spare time because there are a few things you usually do and enjoy which you cram into those few spare hours per week. That is not the same as having day after day to fill. Firenze is absolutely right, some structure is essential. My advice would be to start getting some of the groundwork in place before you retire.

Like Tree Bee, the goalposts have shifted for me so instead of just a few years to go to retirement, I now have about 13-14 to wait. And what happens then is dependent on physical condition at that time. It's easy to put off doing some things until you retire but actually the time to do some of them is now, while you have your health, strength and a regular income. Your retirement life may be long and happy and you may be one of those blessed individuals who goes line dancing and skydiving at the age of 90, but who knows. Make the most of what you have while you can would be my advice.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in the school it only allows us to work as we are 70. I do not work in a school now. I have no money to work in school.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crikey, Adeodatus, you're younger than me! I can't quite get my head round the idea of people my age retiring, but I may just be in denial.

I had a sort of "rehearsal" for retirement: for the first seven years we lived in Canada I wasn't allowed to work and (more to the point) wasn't allowed to earn. I must admit I enjoyed the freedom afforded by having nowhere I needed to be, but the lack of income was depressing.

Whenever I get into discussions about retirement, I end up citing the case of my dad, who retired at 61 with enough of a pension to be comfortable (he'd been a senior local government official). He and my mum (who was a housewife) had about 10-12 years before my mum's health began to fail; they travelled all over Europe in a dormobile, had sundry other foreign holidays and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. If he'd waited until he was 65, they'd have lost four of those years, which makes me think if you can afford it, you should retire while you've still got good health.

Having said that, I think some people "do" retirement better than others: Dad's next-door neighbour took early retirement/redundancy at 55, spent large chunks of it in the 19th hole of the golf club and was dead within a year.

I'd certainly like to be able to retire while I'm young enough to enjoy it, but whether that'll be financially viable I really don't know.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm turning 50 this year, which is a magical age for a lot of teachers around here. The rule for full pension for teachers in our public school system is "30 and out" -- you can draw full pension if you retire with 30 years of service -- and because many teachers "bought back" their four years of university, they are retiring after 26 or 27 years of teaching -- so in their late 40s or early 50s.

That won't be my case, because although I started teaching just before I turned 21, I have taught in different places and different school systems and haven't accumulated my 30 years and pension in the public school board. For the last 10 years I have been teaching in an independent school -- we have no pension plan, just an RRSP matching scheme, so everyone makes their own choice of when to retire.

Two of my co-workers have died on the job -- one at age 64 and one at age 57. Another quit teaching in the public system when he got his 30-year pension, then came and taught with us for another 6 years or so, till he, like the other two, had a heart attack. In his case, he was fortunate enough to survive, but quit working.

I fully intend to never have another job after this one -- I will never find anything that suits me better -- but I also don't want to literally work till I drop like my co-workers. I want to have time to travel and write in my retirement years. Right now I'm thinking that when my youngest child gets through university (7 years from now) my major financial obligations will be fulfilled and I would like to quit by then -- but I'm not totally sure I can hold out that long!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've no words of wisdom but [Votive] for your retirement, Adeodatus.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired at 59 - bit early, the official retiring age is, or rather was, 60. I enjoyed much of my career but the last few years were seriously horrid and I was glad to go. I meet some of my old colleagues occasionally, a few still working - "how are things back at the ranch?" "Bad, Blackie, worse than ever." How can anything that bad actually get worse?

Anyway. Back to retirement.
Yes, it's marvellous, My first proper traumatic injury, a life threatening illness (sort of, long story) and a potentially serious medical condition notwithstanding, I regard my health as being outstandingly good so far. That's important, of course.

First rule: keep physically and mentally active so far as possible. Use it or lose it. New interests, or a development of old ones, can be helpful but see Rule 3.

Rule 2; plan what you want to do. And don't get upset if, or rather when, you can't stick to the plan; but you do need something to aim for.

Rule 3; expect to have even less spare time than when you were working. I don't fully understand this but it's a universal finding. It follows that you need to be a bit selective in finding new interests, and be very suspicious of anything you might be asked to volunteer for.

Rule 4 follows from rule 3. If anyone says "Now you are retired you will have time to help us with ..." mumble something apologetic then RUN.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired at 65 and am now 76.

The only advice I would offer is learn to say, "No." Don't fill up each moment with volunteer work. I find it a great joy to set a goal in the fall of each year as to what new thing I want to accomplish in the new year.

I have learned to play an instrument, started painting and other art work, written several books and have an ongoing garden renewal project where I am doing one small area each year. All new things for me. When it comes to volunteering I have tried to make it an area that is new to me as well.

Oh yes it is also a great time to add to your list of new friends.

Best wishes on your retirement I find it the very best of years.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A PS - I don't know what everyone else's case is, but the most difficult thing for me was getting used to having new money only once a month, rather than a paycheque every two weeks. I think it took me about a year to adjust.

There is also a chance of loss of the identity attached to your worklife. Happily I was prepared for this and had other things to do. Soon I will have to drop one of my new identities - the major one - and that scares me a little, but I will have other things in place by then,

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Crikey, Adeodatus, you're younger than me! I can't quite get my head round the idea of people my age retiring, but I may just be in denial.

We're the same sort of age and Mr Nen is certainly planning for retirement and has been for some years (I love my job and intend to keep going in it for as long as possible). We call it "life after employment."

quote:
Whenever I get into discussions about retirement, I end up citing the case of my dad, who retired at 61 with enough of a pension to be comfortable (he'd been a senior local government official). He and my mum (who was a housewife) had about 10-12 years before my mum's health began to fail; they travelled all over Europe in a dormobile, had sundry other foreign holidays and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. If he'd waited until he was 65, they'd have lost four of those years, which makes me think if you can afford it, you should retire while you've still got good health.
This. My dad was teacher and talked for several years about retirement and how he and my mum would get a dormobile and travel around enjoying themselves. Sadly, he went on to the bitter end (65) and almost as soon as he retired went into emotional meltdown from which he never fully recovered and started to have various physical ailments as well. My mum turned into his full time carer and often expressed her sorrow that dad had never enjoyed a moment of his retirement.
[Frown]

I also agree that you should determindly fend off all efforts by others to get you involved in things, particularly volunteering. The circles I move in, both work and church, are always on the lookout for people who are "newly retired with lots of energy who need something to do" so it's pretty certain that you will be targetted. Resist. Take time to decide what you want. Tell people you are taking time out to reassess your priorities. Tell them you'll bear what they say in mind and you will be in touch if it's something you want to take on. Don't be afraid to be forceful - people can be very persistent. [Biased]

And I agree it seems to be universal phenomenon that you will end up busier than ever and wonder how you ever had time for work.

I wish you the very best with it. [Smile] [Votive]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sent on stress leave pending retirement with less than a day's notice. I had been deputy principal of a large school and the principal and I were under much pressure. The trigger point for both of us was when four colleagues from other schools who were the same age as ourselves died within a month, one of them dropping dead in the school corridor as students were going home.

It took me at least three months to come to terms with the changes in my routine and the rhythms of the day.

I was already very involved in my various voluntary activities, so the change there has been doing that sort of work during the day rather than in the evening. I've only taken on one new thing which is not demanding, and I've promised my wife that when I turn 65 next year I'll relinquish at least two voluntary posts. Those organisations are aware, so that new officers can be prepared to step up.

I will never completely cease this volunteering as it has been part of my life since I was 12, and as has been commented up thread some such activity is important to one's mental health.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the idea that you can do 30 years of teaching and then retire on a full pension! My teachers' pension will take 40 years to accrue and I won't be able to claim it until I'm 68 (watch that number move as I approach it over the next 38 years).
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Tell people you are taking time out to reassess your priorities. Tell them you'll bear what they say in mind and you will be in touch if it's something you want to take on. Don't be afraid to be forceful - people can be very persistent. [Biased]

Yes - learn to say 'no' calmly and assertively, with a smile.

Be busy doing what you love - you have done your time doing what others' want.

I love having a routine - I get up at the same time every day etc. But others like the flexibility retirement brings.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:

There is also a chance of loss of the identity attached to your worklife. Happily I was prepared for this and had other things to do. Soon I will have to drop one of my new identities - the major one - and that scares me a little, but I will have other things in place by then,

Oh yes.

I think we all need that. When people ask what I do I say "I'm a puppy walker for Guide Dogs". It might not seem much to some, but it's my identity - it's what I do.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:

Oh yes.

I think we all need that. When people ask what I do I say "I'm a puppy walker for Guide Dogs". It might not seem much to some, but it's my identity - it's what I do.

[Smile]

It's a better starting point for conversations than most jobs. Most jobs one can talk about that is.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen some friends retire, and within 6 or 12 months they seemed to have aged considerably. The 'keeping active' advice seems appropriate, but if friends and colleagues are all still working, the shift would seem major in terms of social group and keeping the mind engaged.

I almost retired a few years ago. I'd more or less 'had it' with a combination of major personal and professional challenges. I took a break, and decided to call myself 'semi-retired' when I came back. I do shorter days, don't work some days, take some weeks and months off. I also do some work for nothing just because I think it is a good idea.

Re Pete's comment about frequency of income: being self employed, it drives the income tax people a little batty when I pay myself only once per year a full year's income in December.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the event that you have a year or so in hand before retirement - and cooperative employers - going down to 80% or less is a good way to go. It gets you used to slightly less money and more time.

Though it's worth remembering the retired life is a lot cheaper. I don't have to maintain a professional wardrobe - most of the time I slope about in clothes some of which go back decades. I don't have to buy pricey lunchtime sandwiches or coffee. I travel free on buses, and get senior discounts on stuff. The flat is paid off. In short, maintenance is probably less than one third of income, so I can afford to travel and drink good wine.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took voluntary redundancy in Feb this year, at he same age as you. Everyone around me tells me I have retired, but I believe I'll still need to do some work (not yet worked out how much yet) and so far my time haze included training/awareness included int the redundancy package plus catching up with everything that got put onto my to do list.
Each time I think of something to get involved in I put it on another list which I'll look at in May and decide which I will follow up.
I've joined Health Walks whenever I can, and otherwise am enjoying a lot of what feel like Saturdays.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the event that you have a year or so in hand before retirement - and cooperative employers - going down to 80% or less is a good way to go. It gets you used to slightly less money and more time.

Although this is a seriously bad idea if you have a final salary pension scheme!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

Although this is a seriously bad idea if you have a final salary pension scheme!
Depends on your scheme. Sometimes you can afford to do it for a couple of years because they look at your best salary over three of the last five years. Does mean you accumulate years more slowly though.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I never did it, because my circumstances changed, but it was built into my contract that if I wished I could have dropped to 4 or 3 days a week for the final two years of a determined retirement date. I would continue to have my pension deducted as if I were working a full week. If I had taken this option, my retirement date was fixed and I could not opt out of my choice. As it was, my health determined otherwise. I left work on 5 days notice.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
... you should determindly fend off all efforts by others to get you involved in things ...

Perhaps it depends on what sort of things. My parents were both involved in various things before Dad retired anyway: she was in a chamber choir, he in the orchestra and brass band, they were both in a couple of bigger choral societies and after he retired they joined the camera club and he became an elder in the Cathedral. Between all that and the various holidays, for the first few years I think he wondered when he'd had time to work.

I imagine the secret is to only get involved in things you want to; when we moved here I got dragooned into the Altar Guild because I wasn't working, despite knowing the square-root of bugger-all about flower-arranging or embroidery, and hating housework with a passion.

The minute I was offered a job I was out of there ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect another problem of working 4 days instead of 5 would be having the same amount of work to do but in less time and for less money.

M.

[ 20. April 2015, 06:25: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dad started his apprenticeship at 17 and reached the magic 40 years service full pension at 57. I'd say it took him several years to adjust, though that was partly because within a year of retiring his own father's health started to fail. My grandfather died 17 months after my father retired; and then Dad had to deal with the estate, so a lot of his first two years of retirement was shaped by circumstance rather than choice.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to the wisdom of crowds, crowds don't get much wiser than the Ship! - thank you all so much for your contributions so far.

One of the reasons I'm retiring as soon as I can afford to is that I've known too many people who had no retirement at all, including among my own family.

I actually reduced my working hours about 3 years ago. I'd discovered that my pension scheme works rather oddly - if you're part time, the pension is still based on the full-time equivalent, but accumulates proportionately more slowly. I was also inspired by Tom Hodgkinson's funny but also insightful book, How to be Idle, which I'd recommend to anyone.

One of the ways in which I'm going to be saying 'no' to things is that I've asked my bishop not to give me permission to officiate. As well as stopping me being asked to do things, it'll allow me to put some distance between myself and the CofE, which is what I want, at least for the time being.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a breakdown at age 48 and the Occupational Health psychiatrist said I was not fit to continue so I was given some money [both lump sum and continuing] and basically told to go away - so I came here with the intention of getting myself sane again. You're right, it didn't work but that was, at least partially, because I worked out that sanity didn't really appeal.

Like everybody else here that has commented there is just not enough time to do everything I want to do - and yes, I do have some routine in my life:

I get up early by choice, so much easier than getting up early for work!

I try to have a nap every afternoon - not always possible but I do my best.

I try to eat sparingly but it is tough living with folks who eat quite a bit more, and more often.

I no longer do anything related to my previous job except occasionally talking to younger folks [in this culture this means late teens/early twenties] that ask about sexual health stuff as I am still passionate about not taking risks and here nobody talks openly about sex.

I too have ex-colleagues who retired and didn't know what to do with themselves, were lost without their role as worker - and often died within the year.

So yes, keep busy but keep it within limits, listen to your body and don't take on too much. Retirement is wonderful, it is surely one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Go for it, Adeodatus, it's great!

p.s. your comment about asking not to be licensed to officiate to do stuff is brilliant and shows you have the right idea.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm winding down to retirement, took a step back from my original post a couple of years ago and now work four days a week. at the same time the local gov. pension I'd 'preserved' when I left a previous job where I was earning more kicked in, so at present I feel as well off as I ever did. Next year I'm going down to two days a week and intend to give up entirely at the end of the school year 2016. Ideally I'd then like to move from London to somewhere cheaper, but that depends on my husband and his job and my mother's health.
I was away for the weekend with a bunch of people, most of whom are now retired. I'm envious of all the things they get up to, so i can't wait!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I'm winding down to retirement, took a step back from my original post a couple of years ago and now work four days a week. at the same time the local gov. pension I'd 'preserved' when I left a previous job where I was earning more kicked in, so at present I feel as well off as I ever did.

That sounds very similar to me.

For over two years now, I have been gradually using up my long service leave (had over 180 days accumulated) by taking off one day a week, while still on full pay. AND I have started getting a pension from an old public sector job, so I work less and earn more than I ever did.

I have been developing a "retirement career" - voluntary work that I really enjoy and other people appreciate. Having watched my father slowly leave work by letting his retirement activities "crowd out" his part time work, so that he eventually gave up work entirely in order to find time for all his other activities - I am trying to do the same.

I want to retire TO something, not just FROM something. And I want it to be fulfilling. Otherwise I'd just sit in front of my computer all day and become unhealthy and depressed. I need structure, but not the stress of a paid job.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And being retired it means not getting work. I always have to make sure I buy food that is not very a lot to pay.

How much does the London UK give us ?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I'd then like to move from London to somewhere cheaper ...

I'm not sure about the idea of moving somewhere new to retire. My parents considered several places (the Scottish borders, Yorkshire, etc., after enjoying holidays there) but in the end their circumstances didn't lend themselves: I was still single and living at home at the time, and my paternal grandmother also lived with them, so they stayed in Orkney.

I think it was just as well that they did: all their friends and the activities they were involved in were there, and I think it would be much harder to start afresh in a new place without all the contacts that having a job would offer.

That's just my 2p - a couple of friends of D's parents retired to Orkney with no previous connections except a holiday or two and have got involved in things and are loving it.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents retired from suburban Manchester to The Yorkshire Dales and it was about the best thing they had done - they moved to a smallish community and got accepted fairly swiftly by getting involved in local stuff. And I know of shipmate who retired from London/Kent to the West Country and seems to be thriving on it - again in a smallish community.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choices made to unburden yourself with the social obligations with family, the life created while you were working, and live as you please could create costs for yourself and may well burden your descendants. Here's my story.

My parents retired and moved far away, to rural Mexico, not a resort area, rather a traditional village. There's lots of Canadians and Americans in the area, but it is very far and difficult to get there from here. For visiting nearly 20 hours all told.

They integrated well into the community there, but de-integrated with us - with all of their children, with the additional result that they never really developed relationships with grandchildren. The really difficult parts occurred when my mother was dying and my father's health deteriorated. After ~30 years we weren't particularly close. As it was, I shouldered the logistical, emotional and financial burdens. But no act of kindness ever goes unpunished: I now have a lonely 90 year old man on my hands.

My wife and I are likely to follow our children and prioritize relationships with them and their kids if they ever have any, about which I shall bribe to have and offer any amount of childcare help. I sure hope the one who's living in London returns to live here.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I "retired" in 1998 having done my sentence of 40 years hard labour with the Church.

I got a part-time job as a navy chaplain for 7 years.

Moved house and home to be nearer daughter and the Church asked me to fill in a vacancy for 2 years.

The 2 years has now become 5 and I have been offered a further 2 years.

Fortunately my congregations concur. I am i/c of three small congregations.

At 80 plus I am quite happy to extend my probationary period.

[ 21. April 2015, 17:18: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ideally I'd then like to move from London to somewhere cheaper, ...

Growing up in rural Dorset I watched too many retirees become totally isolated in their homes. They moved into pretty villages* which worked fine when they could still drive. But two buses a week is a completely different mindset and not one that works too well at 80.

* and complained about the farm machinery noises, cocks crowing and farm smells and mess.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Never move to where the buses don't run...

We could do with relocating to a house with less stairs and more home office potential. Selling up in an inner suburb of Edinburgh would get you the price of somewhere quite large out in the sufficiently distant and scenic sticks. But my social life is predicated on Lothian buses and my husband's post-retirement consultancy on ready access to the railway station and the airport.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're not retired - but we deliberately moved to a house with a bus stop outside.

Last year the service (which had been half-hourly) was withdrawn ... [Mad]

[ 21. April 2015, 22:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of people have told us that in their opinion we took early retirement leaving our careers in our 50s but we are continuing to work full-time as mission partners with the Anglican Church here in Kenya so I don't feel retired as such.
The challenge will come when we finish our term of service here and return to the UK as we will not be able to draw our pensions until our late 60s so quite what we'll do in the intervening years I don't know....!
My teachers pension will not be a full one because of my breaks in service but I'm not sure I can face returning to teaching, dearly though I love it as I don't have the same energy levels as I used to have but we'll have to generate some income somehow!
We had time to establish new life rhythms of no longer working full-time before we left the UK so I'm looking forward to doing that again when we return.
My advice (learned the hard way) is to say "no" a lot in the beginning and find the things that give you joy-e.g. going for a spontaneous walk rather than having to do it at a set time, changing mealtimes to a new pattern was fun too!
Having watched others who I felt fared well in retirement I'd say it's about finding a balance of caring for yourself and continuing to make a contribution and enjoying it all.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:

My advice (learned the hard way) is to say "no" a lot in the beginning and find the things that give you joy-e.g. going for a spontaneous walk rather than having to do it at a set time, changing mealtimes to a new pattern was fun too!
Having watched others who I felt fared well in retirement I'd say it's about finding a balance of caring for yourself and continuing to make a contribution and enjoying it all.

I'm now a year or two into my second "retirement", and concur with Mrs Beaky about taking advantage of your ability to say "no". My first "retirement" came when Mrs T landed a job ideal for someone with her professional interests and qualifications (she completed her PhD in her 50s). The job was in a developing country, and she was worried that I would be sitting around idle and frustrated. I wasn't as we had lived there years earlier, and so I knew that my own skills would be in demand there. Sure enough I was turning away work, but eventually as the best-qualified person available on the spot, took on a fairly senior teaching and management role in the local university. But I cunningly specified that even though the job was effectively full-time, it was officially only 4 days/ week. This allowed me to get out of going to a lot of meetings that I didn't want to go to!
When her job ran out, we retreated to our former home in Oz, where we are both now in semi-retirement, a common state for ex-academics who continue to do the enjoyable parts of the job (research, i.e. reading and writing), but without the pressures of the less enjoyable parts such as marking, admin and strict deadlines.

Going back into - or staying in - one's established social circles (including the church) makes any retirement much easier, as many have noted up-thread

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am 54 and looking for a new job, following my wife being appointed vicar in Wales and not wanting to commute indefinitely. I can't possibly think of retiring until I am at least 65 - as I work in the private professional sector I don't have a final salary scheme - I hope I will get something from the state because my private provision is very small.
Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
I am 54 and looking for a new job, following my wife being appointed vicar in Wales and not wanting to commute indefinitely. I can't possibly think of retiring until I am at least 65 - as I work in the private professional sector I don't have a final salary scheme - I hope I will get something from the state because my private provision is very small.

I wouldn't rely on "hope", you need to check the position. You won't get your state pension until age 66, possibly 67. Check the DWP website. You can also request a state pension forecast. If there are deficiencies in your NIC re order, you have time to fill the gaps with voluntary contributions.

Maybe it's just the language you've used, and you are more on top of this GS than your post suggests, but you owe it to yourself, and your spouse, to get planning while you still have a bit of time on your side.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired early as Mr. C. is older than me - we decided we'd both retire together as we have spent large amounts of our marriage apart, due to work commitments. That way, we both get to remember who each other is! [Biased]

The best group I joined was the U3A, where you can keep on learning new things, in convivial company, for the rest of your life. It is ideal for those on the brink of retirement, as you can still join when you are working part-time if you wish. There is also no lower age limit.

We currently live in a rural area, which is fine as we both drive. But should this change, I think we'll move into town to be closer to all the facilities. Creamtealand has a few well-serviced transport routes, but for areas in between, the links are very sparse indeed. The views, however, are out of this world, so I hope I will be able to keep walking, even if I can't do the all-day long distances that I used to be able to do.

We try to do no more than two activities a day, to allow for veg. time. We soon discovered that trying to fit in 3 activities each day was far too much - we are no longer 21!!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tulfes
It was really just to make the point that some of us can't think of retiring as early as Adeodatus can.
I can't see anywhere on the DWP website that will tell me what my situation may be as the guidance does not apply to anyone born after 1951.
Can you post a link?

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
Tulfes
It was really just to make the point that some of us can't think of retiring as early as Adeodatus can.
I can't see anywhere on the DWP website that will tell me what my situation may be as the guidance does not apply to anyone born after 1951.
Can you post a link?

Apologies for my misunderstanding, geroff.

Try this for state pension age:-

State Pension age

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired at the very end of 2014. I worked in libraries for 37 years, 30 of them as a professional cataloger. I spent the last 22 years of my career as the cataloging supervisor at the U.S. Senate Library.

Retirement has been WONDERFUL. My job was intellectually challenging and my former colleagues at the Senate Library were and are terrific. A few of them are personal friends as well, with whom I continue to socialize. I do miss seeing my colleagues every day, but I don't miss for one second the stressful commute, the stressful work environment, and being chained to a computer 40 hours a week.

My advice to anyone who is on the cusp of retiring--do not rush into "doing things" for at least a month, and probably more. This is your time to decompress. There is no need to leap into demanding volunteer work or other time-consuming activities unless you really want to. It seems that there are lots of people who are terrified of not having every moment scheduled.

I would advise, though, having a modest schedule of some sort--it doesn't have to be rigid. A bit of structure is a good thing, but you don't have to make the schedule a prison sentence. Every week I clean the kitchen, the bathrooms and do laundry and general tidying up. I split these up so that these cleaning tasks take an hour or so 3 mornings per week. I hurl laundry into the machine and do other things till it's time to put the laundry in the dryer. That way I don't have to spend an entire day on housework, yet things still get nice and tidy. (DH dusts and vaccuums on the weekends--he is still at work but will retire in September). I've been cleaning out closets and drawers and we have taken lots and lots of unwanted stuff to Goodwill over the past few months. I go on walks every day and do some other form of exercise too--usually yoga. I go downtown to the main branch of the public library every week. I visit museums. I watch films via Netflix or sometimes at matinee performances at the movie theatre. I shop for groceries in the middle of the week when the stores are empty. I have ample time to read, and to just relax with our cats. I go to mid-day services at various churches downtown. I have lots of time to cook. I don't feel bored or lonely.

I was a bit scared about how I would adjust to being retired and having all this free time. My fears were unfounded--I can't say enough good things about retiring. One of my colleagues at the Senate retired about a year before I did. He told me that once I retired, I would wonder how in the world I ever got anything done while I was working full time. Boy, is he right. The luxury of time is a godsend.

Best of luck to all Shippies who are retired/soon to retire/thinking about retiring.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016