homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Retirement (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Retirement
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Retirement spirituality - some thoughts

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been an interesting thread for me. To all intents and purposes I was medically retired in Feb, as long as continue to I volunteer 2 mornings a week at the school where I have been volunteering for over 14 years on and off. I have struggled to accept this, to the extent that I didn't even acknowledge to myself that I am retired when I first read this. In some ways it is a relief.

In June I am going on a retreat where the focus is on "how we live the final third of our lives" and I am also looking at practicalities with a WEA course on retirement.

I am really, only now beginning to accept being retired 3 years before the official age here (i.e when government superannuation kicks in )

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost 3 months since I took voluntary redundancy (which others are calling retirement for me) I am beginning to settle into a routine of what I hope is a blance, especially to make sure I go out and see people, rather than sit in my comfortable bubble at home. I try to keep at least morning, afternoon or evening at home or on the allotment. Once or twice a week I go on a brisk one hour health walk run by the local council, once a week I refurbish sewing machines for Tools For Self Reliance for at least half a day, I go to one knitting group and have started another, I have joined 2 orchestras and I try to Womble (litter pick) once a week (at the request of members of a FB group I've started a group for this too). That gives a structure into which I can easily fit unplanned things like coffee with friends and AirBnB guests. If I go freelancing over the winter (the current plan to help make the redundancy payment last until my pension kicks in) life will be very different!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say from your description, Daisydaisy, that you're so good at retirement you probably ought to give lessons.

Long may you enjoy it! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, folks... I did it! My last day at work was Friday. And today I have a very loose-endy sort of feeling, which I think I'll just sit with for a while.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Health to enjoy it, Adeodatus! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Adeodatus! As my line manager (who retired before me) wrote in my retirement book, 'Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement!'

I can't recommend it highly enough - enjoy [Yipee]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! Congratulations!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016