homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » When pets get sick (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: When pets get sick
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that Lyda Rose. You gave him as wonderful nine years as he gave you and it's hard to make that decision to say goodbye.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, Lyda Rose.
Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry, Lyda*Rose. What Mili said.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for you & Squeaky Bear.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry Lyda Rose.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that, Lyda Rose. [Frown]

RIP Squeaky Bear. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just caught up with this - I'm so sorry, Lyda*Rose, and [Votive] for Squeaky Bear.

My son asked the other day if we were going to get any more cats, but I said no, it's too emotionally draining. We still have the two girls, our rescue cat Mandy who's only 5, and our old girl Molly, who's 17.

[ 28. June 2015, 15:23: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy is sneezing a lot. I sneezed over her now it's her turn to sneeze over me. She has had her cat flu vaccinations, so I think it's just a cold. However if it continues a visit to the vet may be in order, despite her complaining about it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, don't let her see your post or she may go off in a huff. We had one cat who was able to read my mind and count days. He always knew when it was time for a dose of flea medicine on his neck. If I went near the cupboard where it was kept and he saw me, he was out of kitchen in a flash.

We had three cats at the time and I always had to do him first. If he could smell it on the others he would hide.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sick, but missing. One of our cats, Jasmine, has gone missing. She's never been outside before - they were speyed on July 1st in preparation for letting them out, and then on 4th July my flatmate had left a low down window open and unattended, and we think that just before she went to bed and closed the window Jasmine, who is impulsive, curious, and has the common sense of a potato, must have fallen out.

We've leafleted all the houses in the street, been out calling and searching, but nothing. The window is on the first floor, so she could well have hurt herself when she fell, and if she was there dazed then a fox could easily have taken her. I was hoping that maybe someone might have found her yesterday and taken her in to take her to the vet this morning to find out where she came from, but nothing [Frown]

Her sister is all confused as they've never been apart before . I'm still hoping that maybe she might turn up, but the longer it is, the less likely. She's not keen on being picked up, and though she's curious she's still a nervous little being, so I don't know if she'll come out of a hiding place if she's gone to ground.

[Tear] [Frown]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fingers crossed for Jasmine's speedy return, luvanddaisies.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Jasmine returns safe and sound.

In good news, I looked after Meeka, Ebony and Rosie on the weekend and Meeka is doing really well. He is no longer limping, is able to jump up on couches and beds and his eyes are back to normal. He even ran a bit (though slowly) now and then. He is still housebound and may be for life, though he was looking outside curiously at one point.

Rosie, my sister's small dog, is still trying to play with him which he does not like, but he is now braver around her which means she cannot chase him as he stands his ground. All three pets spent time in the lounge room together which never happened previously as the cats were scared of and annoyed by the dog.

I'm not sure if it is this incident that has led to the 'friendlier' relations between the cats and the dog, with Meeka being in the house all the time, or if it is also because Ebony is also mainly inside at the moment due to cold weather.

Meeka still looks a bit sad as he half his head and neck were shaved by the vet and his hair has not all grown back yet, but he has recovered amazingly well given his age and the severity of the injuries and possible poisoning by a venomous creature.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My orange tabby Tiger (unimaginatively named by me, because my daughter called him Fuego and I had problems with the Spanish) became desperately ill just before the weekend and has spent four days at the vet. Wow, that is one eye-popping vet bill! He is now over getting an ultrasound, to see what is going on in his bladder.
I am worried that (a) he has some major illness and (b) we will be bankrupt paying to treat it. I can easily draw the line if they propose a major operation like a kidney transplant. (Even my tender-hearted husband agrees that paying $10K for a new feline kidney is not on.) But I may well be nibbled to death by ducks here, bill by bill by vet bill.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's home! She's turned up! Flatmate went to sit on the doorstep and call her just before going to bed, and she appeared.
She doesn't seem any the worse for it, but will take her for a check up tomorrow anyway.
Her sister Daisy is sniffing at her a lot and looking unsure; she must smell different. I wish Jasmine could speak; I'd love to know where she's been the last two days and two nights.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YAY! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

So now our little kitties, who are sisters, and who've always been pretty close, seem to not want to be in the same room as each other - and when they do come into contact there's the odd minor hissing episode.
Jasmine, who's been missing, seems not too bothered, but her sister Daisy is really unchuffed and doesn't want to tolerate her.

Jasmine's off to the vet with my flatmate this afternoon (I'll be at work by then, they didn't have any appointments for this morning) for a checkup to make sure she's alright and that the scar from her having been speyed last week hasn't got infected or anything (it looks ok, and she seems ok, but just making sure), but what to do about this sudden antipathy?

They usually get on fine, and they'll sometimes groom each other, and they're often sleeping side by side or investigating a fly or a cat-toy together. Maybe it'll pass once the scent of whatever is different about her wears off - or maybe Daisy decided that the house was her territory in its entirety while Jasmine was away. She did seem unsettled though while her sister was gone, so we assumed she was missing her.

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could get some Feliway - it's a supposed to calm cats down or tell the vet as they may recommend something.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read about this happening, and about cats needing to sort out their relationship anew if one comes back smelling differently from what it did previously.

You could try rubbing them with each other's smell. Rub each of them under the chin and around the face with a cloth then rub the cloths on the other cat.

I've never had this happen, but the "smell swap" is meant to work. Feliway may work too, but it's more expensive.

Huia

Xposted with Elaine [Smile]

[ 07. July 2015, 11:31: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear.

Twiglet is in hospital [Tear]

She was right as rain until 11am, when she had her second feed. Then awful runny diarrhea and vomiting. She soon became lethargic and dehydrated. I took her straight to the vet and they sent me to the veterinary hospital, luckily both are very nearby.

She is on a drip and four different medications - they tested her for Parvo virus and it isn't that, thank goodness.

[ 08. July 2015, 20:38: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Twiglet and you Boogie.

Luvandaisies - one of the cat food makers makes calming biscuits which they might like?

(Standard disclaimer, not professional advice etc)

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Boogie, that sounds nasty. I hope twiglet is recovering.

Georgie-Porgy is no longer sneezing, which is a relief. This winter is colder than usual and she is spending more time inside, under the flow of the heat pump.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick recovery for Twiglet.

Huia, we used to have three cats, a mother and her two sons. The mother liked her comforts and would sit in from of the big gas heater enjoying the warmth. If there was an unseasonably cold day in autumn or spring she would sit there, glaring at it as she could not feel the warmth from it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all.

I went to visit her this morning and she has definitely perked up. She may be allowed home this evening if all goes well. She wasn't eating, so I took some of her own food and she wolfed it down!

She looks a picture in her tiny puppy elizabethan collar, bless her.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh best puppy wishes for the little Twiglet... (and for you too, Boogie!) She looks absolutely adorable in her pics - here's hoping she bounces back quickly from whateveritis.

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been worrying all night, and this was the first thing I checked this morning (it's 6 a.m. here in AZ) -- before even checking my email! I am soooo glad that sweet, precious puppy is doing better! Have they determined what the problem was?

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Twiglet - I hope she feels better soon. [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Have they determined what the problem was?

It looks like it was a tummy bug, but they only know the things it wasn't - ie what they tested for.

She still can't come home until she has done a normal poo - but all is heading in the right direction, thankfully [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news, Boogie.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Twiglet is home and back to her bouncy puppy self - hurrah!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Twiglet is home and back to her bouncy puppy self - hurrah!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

Thanks for the wonderful news!
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Yay for Twiglet! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

Good to hear about Twiglet. Unfortunately my sister's bad run with pet luck has continued [Frown] I just got a message from her and the words 'put down' jumped out at me. I thought at first Meeka had taken a turn for the worse, but it is Ebony her other cat who has had to be put down.

She was fourteen and had had a number of health issues for quite a few years, but had seemed to be going along ok for an oldish cat. The vet had previously said that she has aged prematurely due to health issues. It turns out she was spending more time inside because she was unwell again. She had not pooed for a number of days and started breathing funny so my sister took her to the vet. She has also lost weight lately.

The vet felt a lump in her intestines which would need a scan to identify and surgery costing at least $1000 to maybe fix, but maybe not depending on what the lump was. Given Ebony's age and poor health, my sister made the difficult decision to put her down [Frown] .

She was a rescue kitten who started life on the streets and was always a little aloof, except with my sister's husband. She has had a great life with them and certainly used up all 9 of her cat lives with various health issues and run ins with feral cats and possums. Please pray for my sister, her husband and kids as they deal with this loss.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

So sad to hear about Ebony.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

[Votive] Ebony's family.

Some time ago Georgie-Porgy had a lump in her intestines and had a scan, but fortunately it was just a thickening of the intestinal walls that can happen as cats get older.

Huia

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear about Ebony.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear that, Mili, but your sister and brother-in-law obviously gave Ebony a good life.

RIP. [Votive]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

So sorry to hear about Ebony Mili [Votive] for all who will miss her.

Twiglet is bouncy, well and a total poppet! She is really laid back and accepts whatever is happening with no complaints. She goes to sleep at night - no shouting - and I wake her up at 7am!

Here is a video of Twiglet and Tatze playing with a toy raccoon (skunk?)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

Thanks for all the sympathy everyone.

And the cute video, Boogie. Hope the guide dogs in training do better than the one my friend cared for last year. His name was Raffa and he was a gorgeous dog, but failed not only the tests to be a guide dog but also any other sort of assistance dog as he suffered too much from separation anxiety. Apparently his whole litter was the same. Luckily there is a long waiting list to buy the labs who fail the tests as pets so he has gone to be a great pet dog for a family.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Twiglet's adorable - she hasn't quite got her traction-control sorted out on the wooden floor yet, has she? [Smile]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a frightening health crisis and nearly dying on the front walk, Tiger Cat seems to have recovered entirely. We tried to drop some flea medication on his neck yesterday and he outran both of us handily. He is now on an expensive canned food for the rest of his life, but he's Not Dead Yet. (But you should see my vet bill!)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear Tiger Cat has recovered.

I've had some huge vet bills in the past too. I now have 4 senior kitties, two of which are going to need dental treatment soon.

I wouldn't be without a furry presence in my home.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
... I wouldn't be without a furry presence in my home.

Neither would I - that's why we have lots of teddy-bears. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016