homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Land called Holy - advice for pilgrims?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Land called Holy - advice for pilgrims?
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going on an organised pilgrimage/visit of the Holy Land in September - but with some free time. Any sage advice from Shipmates who have trodden this way before would be welcome: practical or theological.

[I suggest that we try to avoid tangents about the messy politics, except where directly relevant to the pilgrim]

Thanks
Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends where you're going - are you based around Jerusalem or are you travelling throughout Israel.

First: I'd stop thinking of it as 'The Holy Land' but rather as visiting Israel, which is a newish, modern country.

If you're venturing widely and have free time as appropriate, look at some of the Roman sites which may not be on your itinerary - Caesarea is amazing. If you get a chance to cross the border into Jordan, Jerash is also one of the top 10 Roman sites in the world.

Back in Israel, Acre has some fascinating places, and in Haifa there is the Baha'i temple.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Holy Sepulchre is a must, even if you have to queue. see here

The Garden Tomb is romantic fantasy world but some find it 'moving'.

Go for a boat ride across the Galilee, staring in Tiberias.

Don't let an Israeli tour guide steer you awat from buying souvenirs from the Palestinians who keep ther holy sites open fopr us and need the trade.

See the holoaust memorial at Yad Vashem.

Do some homework. and meet some 'living stones'.

[ 07. July 2015, 15:20: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second most of what Leo said, especially the boat trip across the Sea of Galilee and Yad Vashem. (Arrange for a quiet evening after Yad Vashem. It is so utterly devastating that you will need some recovery time.)

Re. the Church of the Holy Sepulchre: if you can, wander along there for 11.15pm on a Saturday night. There will be crowds waiting outside for the gates to open and the Christian Sabbath to begin at midnight. Then join the queue which will lead you to the tomb itself, crawl in past the terrifying priests, and spend your precious 30 seconds contemplating the resting place of the body of Christ. Then hang around as long as you want afterwards for the celebration of the mass, and absorb the ancient and holy atmosphere.

Try to get to Masada. You can walk up there or take a cable car, and it has an eerie power. You will also come away with an insight into the utter madness of Herod the Great.

And for something totally different, spend some time in Jaffa. It is a bit of an artists' colony these days, and is quite lovely.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a wonderful time! We're going in October, and as I haven't been for nearly twenty years I'm wondering what I shall find this time. I'd second what everyone else says and add talk to people (not difficult because this is a part of the world where people are much better at talking to strangers than the British) - talk to Israeli Jews, Israeli Arabs and Palestinians, and get some idea of how rich and complex this place is, how horrible life can be here and also how hopeful.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One place I rather like in Israel is Haifa. I'm not sure if it is a touristic highlight (although I rather like Mount Carmel), but I really like the atmosphere of this city. It's rather open; people told me that it's the only place where a Jew and a Palestinian can walk together over the beach and no-one will bat an eyelid. That may be an exaggeration, but it does say something about the atmosphere of the city.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lovely view over the Bahai temple from the site where, it is claimed, Elijah took on the prophets of Ba'al.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice, folks.

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
leo: There's a lovely view over the Bahai temple from the site where, it is claimed, Elijah took on the prophets of Ba'al.
Yes I saw that. I liked it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bethlehem is lovely. As Leo said, do take the time to visit the shops in manger square, and the peace centre.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016