homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Forest fires are really intense here.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Forest fires are really intense here.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
119 fires are burning in Saskatchewan. An area roughly the size of England is burning. The northern half of the province is a no travel and evacuation zone. The smoke 400 km south (250 miles) is thick. We are hearing about it to the south into USA as well though we have flames too. About 15,000 displaced people in shelters, which is alot out of a 1 million total Sask population. No one really knows the total who are staying with others. Military called in to help. Volunteers being trained to fire fight. They don't put them in high risk areas. Temps are in the 35°C range and thunderstorms forecast next 3 days. These are almost all caused by lightning.

The fire threatening La Ronge is made of 2 fires which joined together. The fire line looks like about 10 miles long to me. It is huge and is creating it's own winds as it draws air toward it. We are not having fun just now. The last time I recall such a call out for volunteers was in the late 1970s.

I would post links but only have cell coverage. A quick search should bring up lots as it has been lead CBC radio story.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for everyone.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from here, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saskatchewan has problems, but let's not forget British Columbia in that equation. And Alaska and the Yukon. All wild-fire zones at the moment.

[Votive] for all.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from over this side too; I've seen some of the Weather Channel's pictures, and it looks very scary indeed.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
119 fires are burning in Saskatchewan. An area roughly the size of England is burning.

Wow, that's hard to imagine. Hope they can manage to find a way of getting that under control!
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Saskatchewan has problems, but let's not forget British Columbia in that equation. And Alaska and the Yukon. All wild-fire zones at the moment.

[Votive] for all.

The good news from this part of BC is that we actually have some rain today - the first for months. With luck, it may stay for a few days to damp things down a bit.

It's been a little scary looking at the interactive map of BC wildfires, especially at the new fires each day.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over the past few days we have gotten faint traces of the smoke.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, prayers also from here that the fires cane be brought under control quickly and without the terrible losses of life that fires here in recent years have brought with them.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re control, water bombers, cutting fire breaks around villages and settlements and hoping the wind in in the right direction. If the fires don' t threaten homes, they are let burn in the north. About 3 years later bears and blueberries are the first thing, lots more deer and elk follow. The boreal forest needs fire, just not too intense so that pine cones survive. Fir is actually required for some to open and be fertile. Problem this year is the fires in many places are too hot and burn everything.

Spending time this evening playing with some preschoolers. Thunder, no rain. [Frown]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for some rain for you and that the fire does not lead to loss of life or property.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from me too. When fires begin to join together it is very scary and unpredictable. In large areas with little population it is easy to say "get out of there" but often the options are very limited for those on the ground. May the ordeal be over soon, with minimal loss of life (all kinds).

[ 12. July 2015, 21:53: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:

And Alberta - the smoke has been so thick here in Edmonton I could barely see across the parking lot this morning. So much heat this year, and so little rain. Bless the professional firefighters, the reservists, the volunteers - they do such vital, dangerous work.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see our Rural Fire Service have sent about a hundred volunteers to British Columbia. I hope they can help. I do know that down here, any volunteers from overseas services are very gratefully received. Such dangerous work to be doing.

Sorry, that is thirty five volunteers. I should have checked first.

[ 13. July 2015, 00:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Cdn Interagency Forest Fire Centre - just over 1 million hectares involved in Sask, which is something around 2.5 million acres. Alberta at 1 million, and BC half of that. Both Alta and BC fires affect more people.

Some photos from Saskatoon newspaper site (slide show).

Here's a good pic of Pemberton BC fire and a link to more general BC fire news

I'll stop there to avoid driving hosts to too much checking. I thought some images help make the scope apparent.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, no prophet. Three links is a goodly number. An all too familiar scene to someone from down here.

[ 13. July 2015, 23:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No Prophet I didn't realise how extensive the fires were until someone on local radio said they would just about cover the land area of New Zealand.

[Votive] for all those affected.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very scary when you put it like that! I understand from the Weather Channel that there's been the odd rainstorm in places, but probably not nearly enough to make a significant difference.

[Votive] continuing.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

2-3 cm of rain suggested today in La Ronge. But with smoke in the air and thunder can be heard.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Spending time this evening playing with some preschoolers. Thunder, no rain. [Frown]

We had dry thunder up here today,too (although praise God, some rain to damp the fires in SoCal.) Made me think of you. Hope that rain moves North, and still more North.

The glum thing about playing with preschoolers during a scorching drought is that you can't even offer them the relief of water play like you usually do in summer. The other day we filled up little squirt bottles with ice water, set them on mist, and cooled them off the best we could.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in Washington State, the fires are worse than in the past, but not like what's happening further north. Washington State Wildfdieres are beginning to add up There's a drought and it's very warm, so it seems likely there's more to come here.
Thankfully much of it has been contained.. for now although there are 5 or 6 major fires going on now.

Wishing the people North of the border well as they fight these large files.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Rain since last night. The first since mid-June. But we're to get 15 cm. Rainfall and flood warnings. It is welcome, but it would be nice if it fell a little slower. Fires should be slowed.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016