homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Greenbelt 2015 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Greenbelt 2015
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, we're only around a month away now and still no thread!

Are people going (back) this year? What are you looking forward to? What are you not looking forward to?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm on the pre-festival stewarding team (did it last year, very rewarding), and also giving a talk on Monday in the Literature strand. So yes! Looking forward to it greatly. I'm hoping for an Indian summer... [Biased]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jackanapes
Shipmate
# 12374

- Posted      Profile for jackanapes   Email jackanapes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're long time GBers, but first time at Boughton House, first time with kids, and first time when I've been due to start a new job on the Tuesday. Should be interesting...
Posts: 468 | From: The bottom of my heart | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are camping and can tie a wheelbarrow to your roof-bars, you won't regret it [Smile]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're buying a trolley to take, my bipolar disorder couldn't cope with the stress levels last year.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not this year. Went for the first time last year, but was disappointed at how inaccessible it was. The walk to and from the site also resulted in quite a nasty injury that took months to properly heal. (see account here).

Would be interested to find out if they improve access or if it remains a realistic prospect only for car drivers.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes I am going again. I am staying off site (because I don't do camping). Looking forward to it, but with some trepidation, because of the financial problems they have had.

I am hoping that they have addressed some of the access issues.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am going, though the practical difficulties last year were off-putting, and the cold rain was miserable. I believe it will be much smaller this year, and I think that might be good.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We shall be there again this year. Will be my 10th (consecutive) Greenbelt. Not that many in the grand scheme of things, but feels like a lot to me!

To be honest, almost anything would be an improvement on last year when our 18 month hold had a D&V bug for the whole of the festival (which I caught). If he's not unwell, it will all be fine for us!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anything would be an improvement on that scenario. Well, as you say almost anything.

[ 29. July 2015, 21:13: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Day tripping, still not fully sure which.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will be there, volunteering on the Access team again. Heavenly Anarchist and Sipech, sorry to hear about your access difficulties. Some things I know have already been ironed out - for instance the molehill type bumps around the main stage turned out to be anthills and have been removed. Friday was a difficult day - this year disabled camping is open from Thursday which should hopefully free up golf buggies and other help on the Friday.

I will be there from the Wednesday before so may see you Doc Tor - do you know if Barn Bacon will be about during Build Week like last year?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are going, with toddler in tow! Last year, we tried to do everything and ended up having to leave halfway through as she was only 4 months old and got grizzly!

This time I think we'll stick to forest church and music mainly so she can run around a lot. I don't know what to do about a pushchair though - we took a sling last year, but she'll be a bit heavier this year!

Am I right in thinking the car park will be closer to the main festival this year? Really hoping the physical access, especially the tracking, is better this year.

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
recklessrat - if you can borrow a back-pack style carrier, do so. They keep everything clear of the mud, and are exceptionally flexible.

Pomona - don't know about the bacon stall. I do know they were still serving Tuesday lunchtime...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recklessrat - we (volunteers) have been told that it will be better. The tracking was a nightmare but now the anthills have gone, should be better. I believe the car park is closer this year. It was awful to see so many problems last year and not being able to do anything about it! Thank goodness Friday was dry, if it had been wet then I think it would have been even worse.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Recklessrat - we (volunteers) have been told that it will be better. The tracking was a nightmare but now the anthills have gone, should be better. I believe the car park is closer this year. It was awful to see so many problems last year and not being able to do anything about it! Thank goodness Friday was dry, if it had been wet then I think it would have been even worse.

That's reassuring, thanks [Smile]

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was wavering, but it appears the noise team (on which I have served for umpety ump years) needs me...looks like I'll be there!

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really not sure. I said after last year I wouldn't camp again - I not a great camper, have camped at Cheltenham which was ok but last year really put me off. So I'm going to work out if I want to go enough to pay for a B&B. The programme isn't really making me want to go but then again I usually find I don't recognise names on the website but then find the details of the talks in the diary are what attract me more and there is always stuff I just stumble on, but with no main stage type venue I'm not sure that would happen as much.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I was wavering, but it appears the noise team (on which I have served for umpety ump years) needs me...looks like I'll be there!

Noise team - are they the people who go round the site making lots of noise all the time, to make sure it sounds like there is lots of fun happening?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

You know already that quite likely they're the people sitting in a car in the rain outside a neighbouring housing estate at 10:30pm trying to placate a hostile Env Health official waving a noise meter, whilst missing their favourite band!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

One of my friends (and one of my children's godfather) was big in Noise for very many years. And yes, that's what he spent a lot of time doing at Cheltenham.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Really to bump]

Was in the area, so saw the memorials to the D of &c family at Warkton. They were kind of impressive, although the talk was revealing as to embarrassingly sexist the past was.

Also found a nest of dog walker (perhaps) tracks on the Kettering side of the old A43 that almost lead from the hotel to the Warkton junction. Though even if the entrance weren't in Huntingdon, I don't think I'd recommend it.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Sad that Goan Fish Curries and Higgidy won't be there. Lalitas, Tibetan Kitchen and Barn Bacon will all apparently be there though.

FYI Access normally releases allergy info regarding venues about a week from the festival.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

No Higiddy? I might have to cancel....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going with my family but have had to drop out, therefore releasing a double and two twin rooms at the Best Western Rockingham for the duration of the festival, in case anyone was still looking for off-site accommodation.
Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am staying at the Holiday Inn in Kettering, in case anyone else is there.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm dipping a toe in for the first time, as Miss Pia the Younger is in a band which is playing in the gaps between the 'real' acts (as far as I've been able to understand, Miss Pia the Younger being 13, and thus not big on Actually Finding Out About Stuff In Advance). Other commitments mean we're just staying (camping) Friday night and will stay as long as we can on Saturday and drive home Saturday night.

Recommendations? What should I not miss? Though I may be a bit limited by having a 13-year-old to look after, who will not want to be doing anything 'boooooooooooring' - which will be most things in her book.

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be there. Is there any plan for an official "let's all be at the Jesus Arms at the same time and have a vague shipmeet hello" this year?

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will be there. First time driving myself. Was fine travelling by train last year but am borrowing mum's car as I'm with a friend who's disabled and it gives us flexibility.
Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone just reassure me that I'm not being dense (this would not be unheard-of!)? I have got day tickets for Friday and Saturday, plus two days' worth of car parking. Does that cover me to camp as well? I assumed it did, because there was nothing anywhere about (non-glamping, bog standard) camping. But I've started to panic that I'll turn up and find that I'm not allowed to pitch my tent and it'll all be a disaster, for which Miss Pia the Younger will blame me forever...

Thank you! [Smile]

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
Can someone just reassure me that I'm not being dense (this would not be unheard-of!)? I have got day tickets for Friday and Saturday, plus two days' worth of car parking. Does that cover me to camp as well? I assumed it did, because there was nothing anywhere about (non-glamping, bog standard) camping. But I've started to panic that I'll turn up and find that I'm not allowed to pitch my tent and it'll all be a disaster, for which Miss Pia the Younger will blame me forever...

Thank you! [Smile]

I'm sure I've seen something like this before. (Though I think it was at Cheltenham, when waving your wristbands). If not I'm sure there'll be something possible.

Does anyone know if they're doing local tickets again?

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Pia, I'm pretty sure you're OK with this. Wristbands are needed to gain entry into and out of the festival village, of which the campsite isn't a part. I guess the only complication may be if they try to get you to park in the day parking, rather than the general parking which is a lot closer to the campsite.

Yep, just checked the website and you're fine:

quote:
Camping space is available for everyone with a weekend ticket (or two consecutive day tickets), so find the corner of the campsite that suits you.
Jay-Emm, I've not seen anything about local tickets this year. They certainly had them last year.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
Recommendations? What should I not miss? Though I may be a bit limited by having a 13-year-old to look after, who will not want to be doing anything 'boooooooooooring' - which will be most things in her book.

Recommendations?

Abandon your 13 yo to her own devices. She'll come to absolutely no harm whatsoever and will have all sorts of benign adventures she'll be desperate to tell you about.

Arrange a time to meet at later, as mobile coverage can be patchy. Give her a tenner and she can even sort out her own lunch.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Thank you for reassurances Jay-Emm and Iamchristian. (I was sure I'd seen that sentence you quoted on the website, and then when I went back to check I couldn't find it again.)

Doc - I am a great exponent of benign neglect as a parenting style! And she'll have her band-mates to hang out with, so what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks all!

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Jay-Emm, possibly too late anyway but I don't think they are doing local tickets this year. Check anyway!

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Will do, I'll be day tripping (possibly by bike?).

If anyone needs anything bringing in (that's not too ridiculous, or with any liability issues, or ...) I can possibly go via the corner shop.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a bit late, but is anyone planning a shipmeet over the weekend.
We are staying in Holiday Inn Express this year (booked in September 2014 [Eek!] ) and coming in each day. Just hope we don't end up wandering around searching for our car again - which is very silly because there probably aren't that many Panda 4x4 Antartica editions about - but it was Dark. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 26. August 2015, 19:12: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

geroff - Holiday Inn Express too! Probably see you at breakfast.

I doubt there will be many TT 3.2 s there, but as it is very low, I might not be able to spot mine [Eek!]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Re: shipmeet, those of us also in "The Virtual Arms" are getting together around 1230-1300 on Saturday and/or Sunday. Not sure how much overlap there is between ship and Virtual Arms?

(Having said this, I may well be child wrangling, so unable to come, but hey-ho maybe this year!!)

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be up for a Shipmeet, And combining with a Virtual Arms (which is a FB group I think) meet would make sense. Not sure when my shifts are though.

I'm compering again - in the Treehouse this time - so if you're at something there, do come and say hi. There is another compere there so guess there's a chance you'll get it wrong and confuse a stranger by asking if she's Yangtze, but hey, that's what life's all about - taking chances.

[ 27. August 2015, 00:38: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Yes, VA is a FB group (alongside the various other official, semi-official and non-official groups).

Yangtze, assuming you are who I think you are (you run Arthur and Henry, right?), I suspect we may bump into each other (again) at GB. We have Kathryn Fleming as a friend in common!

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

(As I put in the VA facebook group)

I am a middle aged man who will be wearing either shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I should therefore be dead easy to spot.

[Big Grin]

If you are looking out for me, I will probably have a Schroedingers Cat, labyrinth or Sonar 2013 t-shirt on. That might not help much, as there was at least 1 other person with a Schroedingers Cat t-shirt there last year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

chenab
Apprentice
# 18278

- Posted      Profile for chenab   Email chenab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Should be at the VA meeting (since I'm it's landlord so to speak) - I'll be the one wearing something with the VA logo on it (beerglass with The Virtual Arms underneath).

So hope to see some of you there.

Tony

[ 27. August 2015, 16:10: Message edited by: chenab ]

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

OK, so I know who chenab is IRL. Who are you Schroedinger?!

Alastair

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am me. I am, in fact, a cat, who is both alive and dead.

Sorry, I don't want to post my RL details here. Maybe I will see you as GB.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
(As I put in the VA facebook group)

I am a middle aged man who will be wearing either shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I should therefore be dead easy to spot.

[Big Grin]

If you are looking out for me, I will probably have a Schroedingers Cat, labyrinth or Sonar 2013 t-shirt on. That might not help much, as there was at least 1 other person with a Schroedingers Cat t-shirt there last year.

Either I walked right past you, or the other guy was there again. Nice t-shirt! Shame I only saw your post when I got home, or I'd have said 'hi'! Hi anyhow! Really enjoyed Greenbelt again this year. Hope everyone else did too.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Was nice enough.

Didn't really see anyone shippy, physically saw Doc-Tor & (possibly) Yangtze. But both had stuff to do and I couldn't think of anything to say, (hence one very rubbish greeting on the path).

I did look in JArm's at 12:30 Sat but couldn't see anything (but I'm not exactly a candidate for the best observer of the minute award).

It was enjoyable

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

We had a great time - really enjoyed it, especially taize and forest church. The walk from car park to festival was so much easier than last year. Things did get awfully muddy on Monday though, and I was glad we left in the afternoon to avoid a stuck car!

Does anyone have a copy of the communion service leaflet at all? Ours got destroyed by the rain but I'd love to have another look at the words of the creed used...

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I'd be up for a Shipmeet, And combining with a Virtual Arms (which is a FB group I think) meet would make sense. Not sure when my shifts are though.

I'm compering again - in the Treehouse this time - so if you're at something there, do come and say hi. There is another compere there so guess there's a chance you'll get it wrong and confuse a stranger by asking if she's Yangtze, but hey, that's what life's all about - taking chances.

Was going to say I hadn't seen many current ship people but if you compered Kelvin Holdsworth's (@thurible) session then I saw you and follow you on twitter.

I also saw Pomona in the Franciscan camp on Saturday.
Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was me and I saw you there Carys (we actually met somewhere before, at Kathryn's canoning I think though could have been a previous GB, so I recognised you).

I had a fab GB, though due to above mentioned volunteering, limited time to get out and meet people. Was good to meet iamchristianhearmeroar again. (And also either his or his wife's mother who unbelievably remembered me from the aforementioned canoning.)

It was a great sadness not to wander into the Jesus Arms and find our late great shipmate Ken there, but a great joy to bump into his sister there instead (clearly continuing the tradition) and to hang out with her a bit.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016