homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » There is NOTHING right about this (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: There is NOTHING right about this
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A story this morning - with nothing to recommend it.

Why does ANYONE think that taking a 9YO to a shooting range is reasonable?

Why does ANYONE consider that letting a 9YO have a loaded Uzi - with live bullets - can be justified in any circumstances?

I am struggling to know who is the STUPIDEST here - her parents for letting her be there, the instructor for letting her loose with such a weapon, or the whole gun culture in the US that considers this to be an unfortunate accident, rather than a natural result of letting 9YOs have killing machines.

Seriously, can anyone provide any justification for this having been allowed to happen? Get a fucking grip.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole gun culture in the US is the stupidest.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought you don't do hell.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I've been told that I would be happier if I abandoned logic, and just went with something called "emotional intelligence".

So my feeeeeelings led me here... [Big Grin]

[ 27. August 2014, 10:32: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A feeling of passive-aggressiveness?

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh that poor girl. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life.
Parents who do this sort of thing should be....well I don't know what wouldn't make this situation worse for her, but really it is mind-bogglingly stupid of them.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the same parents who think it appropriate for a nine year old to use a gun of any kind have probably been staring at screens with images of children holding severed heads and tutting about "uncivilised" people in the middle east.

To allow this wasn't just stupid, it was wicked.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having recovered from the initial shock, I am inclined to see this as natural selection in action.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Burgers and Bullets" Company Motto; if one don't kill ya the other will.

Too Sad for jokes really. Lord have Mercy.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
Having recovered from the initial shock, I am inclined to see this as natural selection in action.

If it didn't involve mental trauma inflicted on a kid, I might agree.
Now that I am out of Purg-- Sarchmardo is a complete idiot, and the fact that he is still insisting it is appropriate to use an Uzi as a starter weapon for anyone makes me wonder what planet his brain is on when his mouth is talking.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are no appropriate jokes here. A nine year old will have to go the rest of her life with this. The dead man's family will live with this the rest of theirs.
---------------
A pistol of any calibre is not a suitable training weapon for anyone.
9mm is too much for most 9 year old children.
Reliance on one's reactions in response to actions already occurring as a safety measure is stupid.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Sarchmardo is a complete idiot, and the fact that he is still insisting it is appropriate to use an Uzi as a starter weapon for anyone makes me wonder what planet his brain is on when his mouth is talking.

Fuck whether it's an Uzi or anything else. I find the whole concept of a "starter weapon" of any description utterly disgusting.

[ 27. August 2014, 16:15: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to agree, but there is an extra creamy icing of stupidity in his attitude.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You do get that a lot if Americans hate gun culture, right? You do get that, living in a gun culture, I am going to encounter people who don't hate guns, and my squealing, "Ickypoo!" Is going to have zero effect on them? If I say," handing a minor a gun is deplorable" five people will simply counter ," not teaching kids proper gun use is criminal," and have loads if arguments in their defense. So I better be aware of how gun culture operates and thinks before I flounder around trying to persuade people.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brain won't process this. Did you see that the target the little girl was shooting at represented a human upper torso?I tried to recall being a 9 year old, but it seems that's my personal Dark Age - there's nothing there. I do remember around that time playing cowboys and Indians on the street with cap guns: they went bang and the other kid fell on the ground. Then he got up and shot you back and we all carried on. We understood play and we knew it was a parody of reality, but what did any of us know about reality? The Big Boys with rich parents had air guns and we were told not to play with them. Machine guns belonged in the comics and in a war that was over years ago - we didn't read newspapers and only a few people had TV, so we weren't much exposed to reality beyond our street and school. We did know that the idea of handling a real gun was a fantasy, as killing people only happened in wars. I think part of me is still nine years old.

We can weep and wail all we like, but it will happen again. I don't think there's much hope for a country that will allow the sacrifice of people like these - both the instructor and the child - to protect the idiotic, useless, self destructive, Second Amendment.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I remember fairly realistic looking plastic machine guns being used by playmates when I was a kid. ( in the seventies.) that's part of the problem. Toy manufacturers lure people in with "realism" ignoring the fact that an essential element of fantasy play is distance. Legos used to be just bricks, now there are hundreds of custom sets.

This godawful burger gun place is an extension of that-- you can daydream, but hell, slap down a little more money and you can have the real thing! The fantasy aspect is maintained mentally while the real thing is suddenly in your hands. It encourages the user to cast that glow of fantasy over the real object-- it makes it less real.
Watch people sniff when I suggest that the toy guns, video games, etc are the actual starter weapons.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Fuck whether it's an Uzi or anything else. I find the whole concept of a "starter weapon" of any description utterly disgusting.

Why? Because people should never start learning to use guns? Or because they should only start when they can handle a full-size gun? Or something else?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:

Why? Because people should never start learning to use guns? Or because they should only start when they can handle a full-size gun? Or something else?
People should never start learning to use guns.

They should be illegal outside the military in my view.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can stretch to an acceptance of guns, and so that people should be allowed to use them and learn to use them.

But not at 9 years old. A minimum of 16, when they should have developed at least the physical strength to handle something.

Then it should be something easy, something straightforward. Only once people have demonstrated the ability to cope with a gun, to handle the recoil, to understand what it does. then they might move on to more ferocious weapons.

Of course, if they were sensible, they would realise what guns can do, and know that they should never get anywhere close to them. Ha.

And, as others have said, I feel mostly for this young girl who will probably be traumatised for life because of this incident. In one sense, that is right, because some mad fucker gave her a fucking powerful gun and she used it to shoot with. But that is not her fault. She will suffer for other people stupidity.

If the drafters of the second amendment could see what they produced, I suspect they would alter it to say "Stupid fuckers should not be allowed guns. If you want a gun for your 9YO, you are a stupid fucker".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
start them young

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having briefly heard this story I formed a mental picture of this incident which was darkly amusing to someone afflicted with a black sense of humour.

-- For they that live by the sword shall die by the sword--.

Seriously, I do really really pity America with it's gun problems. Sadly my pity , like Kelly squealing "Icky-Poo", will have nil effect on the US gun culture, nor on this gun tragedy , or tomorrow's , or the next day's.....

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:

If it didn't involve mental trauma inflicted on a kid, I might agree.

Originally posted by lilBuddha:

There are no appropriate jokes here. A nine year old will have to go the rest of her life with this. The dead man's family will live with this the rest of theirs.

Since when was mealy mouthed psychobabble unrestful? If we're not allowed to laugh, even distastefully, at the insanity of the world, then clearly the light at the end of the tunnel named 'fascism' is closer than I thought.

But if there are no appropriate jokes, I'll just have to make do with some inappropriate satire. I.e. the girl should not be at all traumatised; once she can be trained to kill exclusively black people, she has a splendid career as a cop ahead of her. Hoorah! The American Dream Strikes Back!

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fuckin go ahead and laugh like a loon if you have the stomach for it; all I personally said is that I wasn't inclined to do it. My stomach is currently experiencing unrest.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does a 9 year old girl need to know how to handle a sub-machine gun?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As posted about in the Purg thread, a starter weapon (which I'd not call that) would be a single shot pellet gun, followed by a 22 single shot, requiring both loading up a shell, pulling back the firing pin manually and then pulling the trigger. And from prone.

I have the general impression of limited regulations about any firearms in America. Which is not very good. But I'd also put more limits on the violent media children are exposed to. First person shooter video games played by children of single digit ages are also problematic. Which is a tangent.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why from prone, no_prophet? Guessing: easier to control?

--------------------
Truth

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

That's just it; the experience wasn't being provided as actual training, it was being sold as entertainment. Like a bungee-jump or something.

AR: Yes, more stable.

[ 27. August 2014, 19:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[cross-posted]

quote:

I suspect the reason her parents took her there was not for need to know, but for fun. That may not seem like any better of a reason.

"Look, out here in Arizona they let you go right in and fire machine guns, unlike back home in New Jersey which has all those nasty laws. Let's take DD shooting and film... well, we'll film whatever happens next."

[ 27. August 2014, 19:16: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Ariel, doncha know? It's for her protection. All children should know how to handle guns. The NRA has a little film out called "Eddie Eagle," where he tells the littlest ones that if they find Mommy or Daddy's gun lying around the house they are not to touch it. Once they've been through that pre-school phase they are ready for their first guns and it's all perfectly safe so long as they are taught not to point it at their sister, 'specially when it's loaded. Ah, if only those kids at Newtown had been allowed to take their guns to school a tragedy would have been adverted.
------[/sarcasm]

I know the arguments because, like Kelly, I've been through the debate wars with this one. I always "lose," because my sources are from the Centers of Disease Control and theirs are from the NRA itself. The last man I argued this out with was a pastor of a church in Indiana where he says that although he usually "carries," he doesn't need to when he preaches because he knows most of the men in his congregation are armed.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
I suspect the reason her parents took her there was not for need to know, but for fun. That may not seem like any better of a reason.

It's a ghastly reason. It's like selling tickets to a tiger cuddle experience.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I guess she'll be guaranteed therapy sessions for the rest of her life - but I doubt whether she'll end up feeling guilty about it after she gets over the shock. Anyone can see that there were several others more to blame for this "accident".

The worst part will be the jokes she'll have to endure as a teenager when she begins dating. Oh, and probably being the pin-up darling of some seriously screwed up gun-toting factions...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

She's nine years old. Kids that age are still hugely egocentric.Kids that age would feel responsible if they had a bad thought about grandma and she died the next day. Of course she is going to feel responsible. Unconvincing her of that is going to be a gargantuan task.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or any gun for that matter

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I would teach my 9-year-old girl how to handle a nail gun, if the opportunity arose. I wouldn't let her use one in the bump-activated mode.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
quote:

People should never start learning to use guns.

They should be illegal outside the military in my view.

What a nonsensical and utterly illogical idea. Many rural people in the US rely on hunting as a source of food - do you think they should starve instead?

We have extremely tight gun control in the UK, which is a good thing - but that's not the same as making guns illegal.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why from prone, no_prophet? Guessing: easier to control?

It only drops that shorter distance, usually well less than a foot, versus from standing, even with a bench and support, the shooter can lose footing and take the gun with them on their fall. A shooting bench with a mount that rigidly holds the gun is useful, but doesn't teach anything about managing the gun. But with a child, gee, I wonder if we might.

I don't own any guns at all myself, and haven't shot one for going on 30 years. I do recall well what I was taught and still have a certificate from 1970.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It was tradition in my family to get your first gun (as in the first gun belonging to you) for your eleventh birthday. At which point you were expected to take your place among the hunters and at least occasionally put food on the table.

Living in a house with guns, it was important to teach and be taught gun safety from a very early age just in case someone got stupid or careless with their gun. That also included learning to shoot different types of guns from very young ages.

I don't know why anyone outside of the military needs to learn to handle sub-machine guns.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I don't know why anyone outside of the military needs to learn to handle sub-machine guns.

So they can join up to fight with or against ISIS, or some country's army. They can further practice by playing video games.

The kid's therapy can be desensitization don't you think? First tell her that it was just like a video game and then get her to play incessantly. It will help her when she has kill some brown person somewhere.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned to shoot a rifle in Boy Scouts, at age 10. We used single-shot bolt-action 22 rifles, and shot prone at circular targets in a very controlled environment. (We were told when we could enter the area, when we could pick up our guns, when we could start firing, when we had to lay down our guns, etc.) I was neither scarred for life, nor did I become a raving gun lunatic.

But an Uzi? Seriously? It's madness to give a weapon like that to someone who cannot be counted upon to be strong enough to control it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
start them young

My nomination for post of the year.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to wonder about the mentality of adults who think it is ok to allow children to use guns. But this is what America seems to want so they get what they deserve I'm afraid.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be a Boys' Brigade leader, and one of my fellow leaders occasionaly brought a rifle in for the older lads to have a go with, but a 9mm Uzi? For a 9 year old??

I understand the point about people needing to be taught how to use guns properly - I don't agree, ut I can seewhere that argument comes from - but this wasn't about that, it was about a so-called "fun" day out.

I don't have the words to describe the stupidity of the parents, the owners of the place, or anyone else involved.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because she's planning to visit Rotherham?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
I don't have the words to describe the stupidity of the parents, the owners of the place, or anyone else involved.

Indeed. And if she'd taken out the parents as well, it would have been no more than they deserved.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
You have to wonder about the mentality of adults who think it is ok to allow children to use guns. But this is what America seems to want so they get what they deserve I'm afraid.

More Americans were killed by under 6's finding and playing with guns in the USA than by terrorists last year [Frown] One was a two year old.

[ 28. August 2014, 12:19: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I learned to shoot a rifle in Boy Scouts, at age 10. We used single-shot bolt-action 22 rifles, and shot prone at circular targets in a very controlled environment. (We were told when we could enter the area, when we could pick up our guns, when we could start firing, when we had to lay down our guns, etc.) I was neither scarred for life, nor did I become a raving gun lunatic.

But an Uzi? Seriously? It's madness to give a weapon like that to someone who cannot be counted upon to be strong enough to control it.

What MT said. That was my experience as well, and I agree wholeheartedly about the rank idiocy of handing an Uzi to a 9 year old.

<goes to check my meds - I don't often agree with you on this topic, MT. [Biased] >

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
What a nonsensical and utterly illogical idea. Many rural people in the US rely on hunting as a source of food - do you think they should starve instead?

I call BS on this claim. Outside of a few remote villages in Alaska, I can find no supporting information that hunting is the primary form of food acquisition in the US. And even there, it's hunting AND fishing, not purely hunting.

[ 28. August 2014, 13:30: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... most of the men in his congregation are armed ...

So that they can shoot the choir if they don't like the anthem? Or is it so that they can go and hunt their Sunday lunch after the service?

I wouldn't deprive hunters of their guns, assuming that they were stored properly etc., etc., but I'm with Ariel and Spike: I can think of no reason whatsoever why a nine-year-old should be handling any sort of gun. Ever.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... most of the men in his congregation are armed ...

So that they can shoot the choir if they don't like the anthem? Or is it so that they can go and hunt their Sunday lunch after the service?

I wouldn't deprive hunters of their guns, assuming that they were stored properly etc., etc., but I'm with Ariel and Spike: I can think of no reason whatsoever why a nine-year-old should be handling any sort of gun. Ever.

I think it's so, when that crazed, wildly shooting gun man comes in busting into their little church, they will be the hero who saves everyone. Sadly, I think it's a fantasy that lives in the hearts of a lot of gun toting American males.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just across the river from me is a place where little kidz and their parents can play (under close supervision) with excavators and diggers - and you guys in the US of A let them play with machine guns?

You are stark, staring, mad - and there is a Special Circle In Hell for any adult who introduces a little child to real guns that can kill....... [Waterworks]

May God forgive you. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016