homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Goodbye 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Goodbye 2014
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.'
Bill Vaughn

For cancer,
For disease,
For budget cuts,
For broken ankles,
For organised religion,
For committees,
For family,
For unrealistic expectations.

Goodbye 2014. You may leave.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh so very very seconded.

Fuck you, 2014.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear 2014, you were a right royal !@#$% and I'm not sorry to see the back of you.

You can take your ill health and job insecurity, your obscenely stupid hierarchies and everything else that was bad, and stick it where the sun don't shine.

2015, you'd better be better.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't agree more that 2014 was a pretty bad 'un (and it's not like I didn't it a chance). Sadly, bad enough to pass a lot of its shit on to its successor.

On the up-side, it has also passed on some experience which may help me to mature a bit yet.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good riddance to a year of wars, and more wars... of ebola... of missing planes... of shootings by police and by everyone else... of beheadings and torture...and just all-around hatred and violence.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good, it's not just me.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2014 has been a vile year, I will be glad to see it go

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2014's been one of the worst years of my life. I've learnt a lot, but I can't say I enjoyed the process.

There have been some good things about it, though, and there is a thread in Heaven for those who don't want to get hellish about 2014 but want to enthuse, or even just muse.

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And seconded again. For so many reasons.

- boss and two colleagues believing work is optional (boss has improved, thank you Jesus)
- cantankerous elderly parents refusing to accept the care they so desperately needed, leading to horrendous stress for everyone
- cantankerous elderly parents suddenly deciding to move into a rest home with NO notice, meaning their house had to be cleaned out (after 58 years of hoarding) and sold under huge pressure
- the most cantankerous elderly parent dying three weeks after moving, leaving the other one confused and grieving and much more demented than previously realised by us
- partner's work using a psych test to determine that she was too stupid to walk and talk at the same time and then telling her about it (when her performance reviews for the last four years have been uniformly excellent). That one caused a hell of a lot of stress - and I have never been so proud of her, as she decided to rise above the stupidity that was being shared around and ended up being supervised directly by the CEO (who had been horrified by the actions of my partner's immediate superiors).

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...There have been some good things about it, though, and there is a thread in Heaven for those who don't want to get hellish about 2014 but want to enthuse, or even just muse.

There were indeed some good things about 2014, not least that it wasn't 2012 or 2013.

Other things: the death of a number of close friends; financial insecurity; the continued spouting of bollocks by my father; the general uselessness of one of the priests in my parish (the Frank Spencer of the clergy); the inability of anyone in authority (in any number of different spheres) to make a decision that doesn't result in a worsening of whatever is the current situation. All these things I will happily see hung by their thumbs from the ceiling of Hell and left for small sharp-toothed demons to nibble at.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2014, for the most part, sucked like a Dyson. Good riddance to it. It ended on an upbeat note, though, so I am feeling positive about 2015. At least for now.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Death on January 1st; death on December 31st. Gloom interspersed with moments of pleasure.

Hope the door sent you skidding down the pathway when you left, 2014.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is probably my OCD talking, but I wish we distinguished the new year on the actual solstice. The Northern hemisphere "winter" solstice, obviously, because A) it would be easier to tweak things by 10 days and B) the Southern hemisphere is unimportant, so fuck 'em.

Or whatever. Interrupting some pointless vilification of an arbitrary calendar cycle with a pointless comment calendars seemed innocuous. But, please, by all means, continue with your litany of feeble fist shaking at nonsensical abstractions.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
the Southern hemisphere is unimportant, so fuck 'em.

You can stay in 2014, for all I care. It's such a boring yawn by the time your location gets around to the changeover anyway. Been there, done that, having dinner the next day.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2014 was absolute shite. Here's hoping that 2015 will be at least a bit better.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same for me, mostly.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It is probably my OCD talking...

Wrong spectrum.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
2014 was absolute shite. Here's hoping that 2015 will be at least a bit better.

Nope. Fuck. [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to go with a variation of the pilot's saying.
Any year you walk away from isn't all bad. I did have to modify that a couple of years back when I broke my foot the last week in December.

Any year you can crawl away from isn't all bad.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016